• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assistance from CMs....Am I a crazy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the best response by a CM should have been "I am sorry that happened. What could we do to help?"

Again, they market "signature service for families" and this simply falls short of that.

This is probably a separate conversation, but I don't really think they market their service anymore.

My sympathies!
As someone who had to deal with various bodily fluid issues from various family members over the course of our vacation- from our first day on our way to MK to our flight home- I completely understand.

Just had a flashback to one of our kids vomiting on a plane. All over. You want to see scowls. Flight attendants weren't helpful at all, but the people around us were. Some guy gave us a whole pack of baby wipes from his carry-on.

I feel as though this thread has become an amazingly appropriate metaphor for the original story. There may actually be more vomit in here than on me that day. (Though, much like the original day, it was mostly just a lot of spew from a little person, or in this case a few people.)

You may not like some of the comments, but you did ask for opinions.

In other news, because I posted this last night, I went to bed thinking about Epcot, and ended up dreaming of a great time in the World Showcase.

Upside! Redemption!

Glad you managed to have a happy dream out of this mess of a thread! :)

Seriously, get in touch with guest services. If nothing else, it will be cathartic for you to share your story with the people who really need to hear it.

I feel as though this thread has become an amazingly appropriate metaphor for the original story. There may actually be more vomit in here than on me that day. (Though, much like the original day, it was mostly just a lot of spew from a little person, or in this case a few people. Many of you have been gracious and understanding.)

Who knew? Oh, Internet. You so Internet.

In other news, because I posted this last night, I went to bed thinking about Epcot, and ended up dreaming of a great time in the World Showcase.

Upside! Redemption!

To be fair, you did ask for opinions on your story, which can obviously be seen from a variety of viewpoints, in many different ways.

By far and large, the responses have not been rude in any way. There are many who don't understand your actions, but that doesn't mean that they are "vomiting" on the thread.

My opinion? The CMs, for sure, should have been more friendly in the situation. But as far as their actual actions are concerned, I don't think any of them did anything wrong.

If I were in a situation where I had bodily fluids of my own or a family member on me, I'd clean up the best I could, fork over some $$ at Mousegear for some pants, and get back to my resort ASAP (probably via cab).

The OP themselves walked to a bathroom, and then right out again without cleaning up. Any other issues of walking around vomit covered is their own choosing.

No, I didn't. Read the thread.

Wrong. The OP chose to walk around in vomit-covered clothes for six hours. Now tell me, who ignored the problem?

No, I didn't. Read that thread. I got a full change of clothes 6 hours later, but I cleaned up the best I could before that, and explained why I didn't go back to the resort.

(Though I do wish I'd thought to get a cab from Beach Club. It honestly never entered my mind, because we've never gotten one at Disney before. But it definitely would have been the best and cheapest option.)

If anyone else is questioning why I did something....well, chances are good I already explained it in a previous post.

This is probably a separate conversation, but I don't really think they market their service anymore.

From the Disney Website on why you should stay at a Disney Resort Hotel:

Legendary Disney Service – Want to know what it's like to have a Fairy Godmother? Disney Cast Members are available 24 hours a day to make your vacation as captivating and carefree as possible.

I know they don't do it as much as they used to, but if you watch one of their planning videos, they still talk up their service and, for the most part, they fulfill those promises in my opinion, but I'm seeing a growing number of threads like these and, as someone who's been visiting the parks for years, that concerns me.

I feel as though this thread has become an amazingly appropriate metaphor for the original story. There may actually be more vomit in here than on me that day. (Though, much like the original day, it was mostly just a lot of spew from a little person, or in this case a few people. Many of you have been gracious and understanding.)

Who knew? Oh, Internet. You so Internet.

Upside! Redemption!

You asked for opinions...heck you asked if you were crazy. Don't pretend to be surprised when people tell you what they think and it often doesn't match your own viewpoint. It's not the "internet"...it's the world.

No, I didn't. Read that thread. I got a full change of clothes 6 hours later, but I cleaned up the best I could before that, and explained why I didn't go back to the resort.

(Though I do wish I'd thought to get a cab from Beach Club. It honestly never entered my mind, because we've never gotten one at Disney before. But it definitely would have been the best and cheapest option.)

If anyone else is questioning why I did something....well, chances are good I already explained it in a previous post.

Right, and they all sound like excuses as to why you chose to walk around in the mess, rather than pick the simplest solution: go back to the resort to get cleaned up.

Listen, you simply cannot get angry with Disney for the choices you made. You chose to act like the situation wasn't a big deal from the get-go ("he seemed fine afterward", "I didn't make eye contact", etc), which is why no one offered to help you, since you seemed to have it under control and were fine with walking around covered in your kid's puke. As a PP mentioned before, had you been firm with the CMs that you needed help, I'm sure they would have been more than accommodating.

To be fair, you did ask for opinions on your story, which can obviously be seen from a variety of viewpoints, in many different ways.

By far and large, the responses have not been rude in any way. There are many who don't understand your actions, but that doesn't mean that they are "vomiting" on the thread.

Certainly, it's perfectly fine to disagree with me or what I did. Several people did that and were still kind and compassionate. That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about are several folks who were just shockingly judgmental and mean. So far, without going back to fully list or count, I:

-should have made eye contact with people
-should not ask for any help or expect it
-should have asked MORE for help and/or demanded help
-used (more? better? sooner) baby wipes
-should have stripped my pants off in a busy public restroom and rinsed them off
-should have looked more compassionately at the CM who treated me crappy
-should have known better to go to First Aid or Baby Care Center (this is true)
-should have paid $50 for new clothes
-should have gotten a taxi back to my resort sooner (this I also agree with)
-should have been more worried about my sick child
-should have known or googled where companion restrooms were myself
-should expect to get dirty looks and ignored by CMs because...vomit?

(Some people who suggested these things were right and/or gracious in their responses. I'm just highlighting the fact that clearly, there's nothing I could have done to appease the masses, here.)

One can be compassionate and understanding and still disagree with someone's actions or feelings - many people have done that in this thread, and I thank them.

I hear that. I don't know why op did that but it doesn't excuse disney. This happened on their property and they should have taken steps to care for the guest as well as to protect the other guests at the park. They had no idea why the child vomited.

I'm not excusing Disney, nor do I expect them to do anything other than point her to a bathroom. I'm saying the OP should have taken some personal responsibility and taken care of the situation herself.

I did read the thread.

I'm very sympathetic to the OP, and sorry this happened. Why is it that someone always pukes on vacation? Anyway, I think the CM could have been more helpful in directing the OP to a companion bathroom or first aid, although not everyone is comfortable being around vomit (personally, I hate it, but obviously have had to suck it up over the years...).

My first stop would have been a bathroom, and I would have handed off my toddler to DH - OP had enough on her plate - let him help! Then, grabbed a taxi back to our resort, shower and change. With kids, it's never a bad idea to carry a change of clothes for the adults (especially warm weather, since a pair of shorts don't take up much room). At WDW, I'd carry short for the kids, knowing I could pick up a tshirt in any store.

I think the OP expected too much from the staff (and I see others feel the same way, expected a free taxi ride and free clothing). I don't think that helped with clear thinking.

From the Disney Website on why you should stay at a Disney Resort Hotel:

Legendary Disney Service – Want to know what it's like to have a Fairy Godmother? Disney Cast Members are available 24 hours a day to make your vacation as captivating and carefree as possible.

I know they don't do it as much as they used to, but if you watch one of their planning videos, they still talk up their service and, for the most part, they fulfill those promises in my opinion, but I'm seeing a growing number of threads like these and, as someone who's been visiting the parks for years, that concerns me.

Interesting find. I guess I don't see it that way anymore, so it's probably my perception of their marketing. I find the service adequate, but nothing outstanding compared to the rest of the entertainment and hospitality industry.

I think they are stretching it comparing their service level to a having a Fairy Godmother. ;)

Right, and they all sound like excuses as to why you chose to walk around in the mess, rather than pick the simplest solution: go back to the resort to get cleaned up.

Listen, you simply cannot get angry with Disney for the choices you made. You chose to act like the situation wasn't a big deal from the get-go ("he seemed fine afterward", "I didn't make eye contact", etc), which is why no one offered to help you, since you seemed to have it under control and were fine with walking around covered in your kid's puke. As a PP mentioned before, had you been firm with the CMs that you needed help, I'm sure they would have been more than accommodating.

Nearly everything about this post is a great example of having not actually read what I said.

1) I explained that I agree, in hindsight, that I should have gone back to the resort (which would have taken at least an hour, since we were in the middle of FW) sooner. However, I also explained that wherever we went, we assumed the "next place" was going to provide what we needed. We went to the bathroom, I cleaned up the best I could, and went to get the diaper bag with our son's clothes and more supplies to help clean up. We then tried to find a companion restroom so that we could both work on stuff and so I could take my pants off and clean them better. When that didn't work, we tried getting new pants. When that didn't work, we went somewhere else to try and get pants. Eventually, my parents decided to go back for something else they needed (they weren't too helpful either, but that's not unusual), and offered to get the pants. It took them 3-4 hours to get back to meet us, in part because of bus issues getting back to FW. (Then they took another bus to the campsite. Then repeat on the way back. Etc.)

2) I didn't make eye contact with other guests. I did make eye contact with the CMs I spoke to. I'm not sure if I'm expected to make eye contact with every guest who saw my son throw up on me? Or every one who sees me covered in vomit?

3) My explanation about him "seeming fine" after was my explaining why I didn't believe him to be sick with a virus, etc, and that I figured it was something he ate. But I think it's clear that at the time I was pretty frazzled and upset when talking to the CMs, and with at least two of them at BC I'm sure I looked like I was about to cry. (Other people in the thread have said I was "dramatic" and "overreacted"....so again, I'm not sure which it is. Was I overly dramatic? Or did I not act needy enough?)

I'm not angry at Disney CMs for the choices I made.(I believe the word I originally used was "sad".) I was not expecting, as some seem to think, free clothes and a limo ride back to my campsite and fastpasses and a free AP for my whole family. I wasn't really even angry. I was bothered by the fact that I didn't receive appropriate assistance (primarily direction to a correct companion bathroom, First Aid or Baby Care Center) and kindness/compassion when I was in need of some help. I actually don't think that's a whole lot to ask of, say, humans, not just Disney CMs.

I am confused as to why a companion bathroom was such a need. The son is just a baby. He can go into any rest room or stay with the dad. Should have still gotten a more sympathetic response from the CMs though.

What I'm talking about are several folks who were just shockingly judgmental and mean. So far, without going back to fully list or count, I:

-should have made eye contact with people
--should have known or googled where companion restrooms were myself

In what universe is saying that if you hadn't avoided eye contact, you might have gotten assistance from empathetic people, mean or judgmental, let alone shockingly judgmental?

And I specifically said "for the future" for the list. It wasn't how you've chosen to take it. And it's very frustrating that there was one right there in the Land, where you were, and you didn't find it and weren't sent there.

But, looping back around, when people behave like they have everything under control, people do tend to believe it.

When DS was 3 and I finally had the anvil fall on my head that he Could Not eat anything with corn syrup ingredients in it, it was during the tantrum to end all tantrums. I was in the family area of a festival. While he was flipping out, I avoided all eye contact. I just KNEW that everyone hated me, everyone thought I was an idiot, no one would help me, it was all just horrible.

Now I realize that while some might have been thinking that, if I had opened myself up at that moment, if I had asked for help, called out for someone to help me, I might just have gotten some assistance.

I'm not shockingly mean or judgmental for realizing that for my own situation, and I'm not those things for suggesting them to you. If you want help, don't look so confident.

The restroom post was also to show that those restrooms are all over the place. Which is good to know.

I am confused as to why a companion bathroom was such a need. The son is just a baby. He can go into any rest room or stay with the dad. Should have still gotten a more sympathetic response from the CMs though.

Ok, posted at the same time that you explained the need for a private bathroom to remove your pants. I get that now.

I did read the thread.

Then read it again. I didn't walk around for 6 hours ignoring my vomit-covered clothes. For goodness sake.

He was 1.5 years old at the time, so more like a toddler than a baby. It was a job for one person to try and strip him down without making it worse. (Though obviously, we did this eventually, in the Seas bathroom - my husband took him and did this.) But the primary reason for trying to find a companion bathroom was so that I could actually take off my pants to try and clean them better while my husband held my son. I was unable to do that in a public restroom.

It would have been great for the OP to get some sympathy from the cast members. It's embarrassing to be in that type of situation. I bet that if just one cast member would have directed her to first aid or the baby care station she wouldn't be here on disboards complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter