Aspergirl advice

Pimama

Mouseketeer
I recently realized my 11 year old daughter may have Aspergers and am now very confused as to how to parent. I feel like all my parenting tools are now obsolete. Of course they weren't working anyway so there is some relief that maybe I'm not the worst parent ever. She is very rigid about what she wants and thinks is right and there is no reasoning with her. I have had many frustrating conversations with her about why I can't make "a circle a square" just because she wants something to be different.

So now what!? What can I do to help her let go of things, or sit within 2 feet of her little brother without trying to push him away, or.....the list goes on. I've read a lot about symptoms and some about therapies but I'm probably 8 months from having an official evaluation and in the mean time, life goes on! I don't want to punish her for things that she needs help with but I don't want this to be an excuse for bad behavior either.

I'm very frustrated and a little sad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My 13 yo Aspergirl (love that term BTW) has had to learn that house rules are house rules and having AS does not mean she doesn't have to follow them and the consequences of not following the rules are consistent EVERY SINGLE TIME. It is important that the rules are very clear and very simple. In the situation you describe with her pushing her brother away, a simple rule such as "nobody in our house is allowed to push, shove or physically touch another person in any way without their permission" and have a clear consequence defined for when that rule is broken. Kids with AS are typically VERY smart and VERY capable of understanding rules and consequences. Most are actually rule followers. By doing this you're also taking the emotion out of it. You're not degrading it into an arguement even when she tries. Keep yourself calm when she breaks the rule (it'll happen; she's a pre-teen and will still do typical pre-teen things and try to blame the AS; trust me). Just calmly say something to the effect of "You broke our house rule of xyz; you know the consequence is abc" and enforce abc. Really. This helps YOU a lot as well because it keeps you from getting into a screaming match with your pre-teen (can you tell I've had way more than my fair share of these? sigh....).

Something else that I've learned is that sometimes the arguements and meltdowns over what seem like ocd type of things are actually my DD being completely overwhelmed with her day and it's up to me to redirect her to what helps her cope. In my DD's case, I send her to the shower. After an hour I remind her that our well only goes so deep so she has to get out soon (this is a bigger deal in the summer when it's dry). If you've got a hot water tank then the water getting cold will do the trick. Showers are great sensory breaks. Most pre-teen girls love showers anyway but lots of kids with sensory needs find showers to be particularly soothing. If you've observed anything that she does to self-sooth, redirect her to that when she seems to just be getting overwhelmed.

Have you ever heard of Social Stories? They're a tool that's very helpful to parents of kids with AS to get a simple message across about how to handle situations. They're actually helpful for non-AS kids as well, but the concept was developed with AS kids in mind. Here's a simple Social Story that might help you to start with for those irrational arguements over circles needing to be squares. Feel free to substitute names and the like or tweek to whatever's appropriate for you, but it's a starting point anyway.

Mom and Dad are in charge. DD is allowed to state her opinion when there is a difference of opinion but the final decision is mom's or dad's. DD has no choice but to accept this decision. When mom or dad say the conversation is over then it is over. No further discussion is allowed.

You explain this when everything is calm. Review it with her. Ask her if she has any questions. Allow her to tell you if she has any concerns or thinks revisions need to be made. If her revisions seem reasonable then go ahead and include them and rewrite. Review the final Social Story with her if you've made any changes. Tell her this is the new rule and it will be in effect immediately. Walk away. Maybe hang it on the fridge. Make it well know. Point to it when she argues. Be prepared to be called the worst mom in the world. My response to that is generally "don't you forget it" or "thank you; I try hard" or "that's my job". It depends on my mood to determine which I use. Your DD is a pre-teen and WILL say this. Trust me. It's part of the age and has nothing to do with the diagnosis.

We really don't punish much in our house. When DD13 is getting disrespectful or difficult or arguementative for more than just a single instance at a time, typically it means she's spending too much time with electronics or not getting enough sleep or off her schedule too much or needs more alone time. I try to think of what's been going on lately to determine what needs are not being met. The most common one is the electronics so I take away all electronics for a week when it's really bad; a day or two when it's not as bad. It may sound like a punishment, but I explain to her why it's all being taken away and she seems to understand. She has lots of other things to do and those activities do seem to be the types that result in less agitation from her. We don't call it a punishment. We refer to it as helping her get what she needs. It really is the same no matter what we call it other than her perspective and understanding and acceptance. I'm hoping in the long run that it teaches her more about what she needs so she can self-regulate but that's a ways off. For acute outbursts, she gets sent to her room. I refer to it as her needing time away from other people to regain control rather than a time-out. Again, it's teaching self-regulation rather than punishing but with either name it's going to her room but without the negative connotation. We're trying to really teach rather than just enforce rules.

Is this making any sense? I feel like I'm rambling on and on. Do you have any specific questions? I'll try to answer as best I can.

Hi Pimama,

We've found certain books to be really helpful, like Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to Aspergers, and The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. I agree with the PP about making the rules really clear and 100% consistent. When we have a behavioural problem we usually look for a sensory/anxiety trigger first. Is our child overwhelmed by noise, touch etc, are they over-tired, confused, anxious about something? Usually when we can find the root of the behaviour then we have more success in changing it. For example, maybe your daughter is pushing little bro away because she can't stand the noise he makes, or maybe she is afraid of unexpected touch? In which case something like noise cancelling headphones, or a pillow barrier between them might help.

Good luck. :)

Thank you both for your responses! Great insights and I'll be back to respond properly when I get time to get on my laptop. (I'm on an IPad and typing is rather slow, but it's great when I'm nursing). :rolleyes: A few lightbulbs have turned on though...

My 13 yo Aspergirl (love that term BTW) has had to learn that house rules are house rules and having AS does not mean she doesn't have to follow them and the consequences of not following the rules are consistent EVERY SINGLE TIME. It is important that the rules are very clear and very simple. In the situation you describe with her pushing her brother away, a simple rule such as "nobody in our house is allowed to push, shove or physically touch another person in any way without their permission" and have a clear consequence defined for when that rule is broken. Kids with AS are typically VERY smart and VERY capable of understanding rules and consequences. Most are actually rule followers. By doing this you're also taking the emotion out of it. You're not degrading it into an arguement even when she tries. Keep yourself calm when she breaks the rule (it'll happen; she's a pre-teen and will still do typical pre-teen things and try to blame the AS; trust me). Just calmly say something to the effect of "You broke our house rule of xyz; you know the consequence is abc" and enforce abc. Really. This helps YOU a lot as well because it keeps you from getting into a screaming match with your pre-teen (can you tell I've had way more than my fair share of these? sigh....).

This is just great parenting advice in general and a reminder that I really needed right now- thank you!

Something else that I've learned is that sometimes the arguements and meltdowns over what seem like ocd type of things are actually my DD being completely overwhelmed with her day and it's up to me to redirect her to what helps her cope. In my DD's case, I send her to the shower. After an hour I remind her that our well only goes so deep so she has to get out soon (this is a bigger deal in the summer when it's dry). If you've got a hot water tank then the water getting cold will do the trick. Showers are great sensory breaks. Most pre-teen girls love showers anyway but lots of kids with sensory needs find showers to be particularly soothing. If you've observed anything that she does to self-sooth, redirect her to that when she seems to just be getting overwhelmed.

Hmm, my daughter is notorious for long showers. It actually has always kind of bothered me that she would take so long, it seems so inefficient to me. With a family of seven, it's also just not something she can always do. She has asked to take a shower at odd times and looking back I can see she may have needed to get away. She often disappears into her room to play with her animals for hours after a long, busy day.

Have you ever heard of Social Stories? They're a tool that's very helpful to parents of kids with AS to get a simple message across about how to handle situations. They're actually helpful for non-AS kids as well, but the concept was developed with AS kids in mind. Here's a simple Social Story that might help you to start with for those irrational arguements over circles needing to be squares. Feel free to substitute names and the like or tweek to whatever's appropriate for you, but it's a starting point anyway.

I had read about social stories but didn't understand what it was. It sounds like you sit down and talk through a situation clearly before it happens and have it clearly laid out what is acceptable in the situation. Is that about it? In many ways I've been doing that for years but it's cool to know that it's actually something that can get through to her. We've had many great conversations about what to say (and when and to whom!!) My daughter is a talker and I've had to remind her to first check and see if her 'audience' is available to listen (she likes to walk into the room already talking and not notice that we're in the middle of something else), make sure we know what she's talking about (she likes to start mid-thought as if we're all in her brain with her), and make sure the topic is of interest and is appropriate to her audience (she loves to spout dog facts at her older brother and it drives him crazy and sometimes tells people things they don't really need to know...)

Mom and Dad are in charge. DD is allowed to state her opinion when there is a difference of opinion but the final decision is mom's or dad's. DD has no choice but to accept this decision. When mom or dad say the conversation is over then it is over. No further discussion is allowed.

You explain this when everything is calm. Review it with her. Ask her if she has any questions. Allow her to tell you if she has any concerns or thinks revisions need to be made. If her revisions seem reasonable then go ahead and include them and rewrite. Review the final Social Story with her if you've made any changes. Tell her this is the new rule and it will be in effect immediately. Walk away. Maybe hang it on the fridge. Make it well know. Point to it when she argues. Be prepared to be called the worst mom in the world. My response to that is generally "don't you forget it" or "thank you; I try hard" or "that's my job". It depends on my mood to determine which I use. Your DD is a pre-teen and WILL say this. Trust me. It's part of the age and has nothing to do with the diagnosis.

We really don't punish much in our house. When DD13 is getting disrespectful or difficult or arguementative for more than just a single instance at a time, typically it means she's spending too much time with electronics or not getting enough sleep or off her schedule too much or needs more alone time. I try to think of what's been going on lately to determine what needs are not being met. The most common one is the electronics so I take away all electronics for a week when it's really bad; a day or two when it's not as bad. It may sound like a punishment, but I explain to her why it's all being taken away and she seems to understand. She has lots of other things to do and those activities do seem to be the types that result in less agitation from her. We don't call it a punishment. We refer to it as helping her get what she needs. It really is the same no matter what we call it other than her perspective and understanding and acceptance. I'm hoping in the long run that it teaches her more about what she needs so she can self-regulate but that's a ways off. For acute outbursts, she gets sent to her room. I refer to it as her needing time away from other people to regain control rather than a time-out. Again, it's teaching self-regulation rather than punishing but with either name it's going to her room but without the negative connotation. We're trying to really teach rather than just enforce rules.

Are electronics sometimes a problem? We don't do a lot around here but I've noticed they tend to make my son more aggressive. He is actually the reason I came to think my DD may be an Aspie. I went to my DS's doctor to talk about some behavior and he started describing Aspergers to see if it sounded like him. I was really so struck that he was describing my daughter exactly that I left the office kind of in shock. I didn't even tell him my thoughts at the time because I just never thought that about her. I always just thought she was a kind of eclectic genius. My DS doesn't seem to have as many flags to me but there are still a few things that make me question him as well.
I fell like I'm rambling now...thanks for reading though!

Is this making any sense? I feel like I'm rambling on and on. Do you have any specific questions? I'll try to answer as best I can.

EvangalineG- I will definitely check out those books. I also thought that was very interesting about the barrier between the two. Last summer we drove to Disneyland from Seattle and my DD had to sit in the back of the minivan with my DS. They had lots of trouble and DD kept trying to pile her pillow and blankets and stuff in between them. I kept making her move it because I thought DS was getting crowded out but maybe she was just trying to build her protective barrier. Those two can be kind of handsy with each other. She will often try to correct him with her hands instead of her words but then can really get upset when he touches her.

I've got some new things to think about and try. Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help. I may be back with more questions....

I'm the mom of an ASD boy, but I would definitely recommend Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum: What Parents and Professionals Should Know about the Preteen and Teenage Years by Shana Nichols, Gina Marie Moravcik and Samara Pulver Tetenbaum. Another helpful book is It's So Much Work to be Your Friend by Rick Lavoie. That one is about learning disabilities and socialization in general, but it still has some excellent advice.

Another trick I tried with my son was making a grid of situations one could anticipate and appropriate and inappropriate reactions, depending on whom he was interacting with. That chart made everything much more concrete for him. A similar visual might help your daughter. Good luck. There are a lot of good resources out there for parents of kids with ASDs.

Our kids come to thing in their own time an in their own way, "pushing" ( read standard parenting) can be extremely damaging as can having the goal of making her "typical". Our kids are a very special unique gift and need to be appreciated as such.
It is not "bad behavior" it is her way of trying to communicate and figure out the world that she in which does not understand and accept her genetic imperatives.
Your job is to educate yourself, minimize the damage that you and other do to your child, and to guide and encourage her and to make sure she gets all the clinical and educational supports that are available.
On the practical side, again get a copy of Tony Attwood's "The complete Guide to Aspergers" as a starting point. Also Genius Genes, how Aspergers change the world is good to get a perspective. Both are available on Amazon.
Our kids perceptions are based on "logic" not a genetic social compliance imperative so that takes a lot more effort (and practice) to do many of the standard parenting things. While they have a parent child relationship they do not possess the neurotypical adult/child relational perception and discrimination.
Lots to learn, it is a journey for all of us, but the gifts that these children bring is truly amazing, they are the people who have the potential change the world for the better, you are very blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of such a special life.
bookwormde

Thanks toodycat and bookwormde! More books to put on hold at the library, I hope they have them all. I have several already and need more time to read. I've always known my DD was special. She's very bright, an exceptional musician, tells the best weird jokes, and is always busy with something.

My first thoughts after considering Aspergers were flashbacks to all the times I've parented her wrong because I didn't understand. Plenty of guilt there, but moving on now. After a couple weeks, I decided to talk with her about it and she seemed very relieved. I think it has helped us both a lot just knowing there's a reason for her difficulties and beginning to learn ways to help. She's often accused of being rude and a know-it-all and she was having trouble reading other people. I can see now how her intent was fine, she was just sharing facts and couldn't see how they could be misread. She still can't seem to help herself when she knows something and wants to share, or when she thinks someone else is wrong (she's usually right but as you know it is not always socially acceptable to correct everybody..and a little annoying)

And since this is the Disboards I'll share that, looking back, she did great at Disneyland....as long as there was a big stack of books to disappear into back
at the hotel. :love:

We have all looked back with regrets, but in the end the professional clinicians and educators are supposed to the ones to guide us when in realty it ends up being our kids and other parnets.

Moving forward is the correct path and the best place to allocate energy.

bookwormde

My older DD (8) is also an Aspergirl. You already have some great advice so I will try to add my two cents without duplicating too much.

Social Stories: My daughter actually has a binder of these that have been created for her by the different teachers who have worked with her in the public school. Some of them are tailored to her, and to specific situations that they either anticipated might cause an issue, or something they discovered caused a problem after the fact. So, if there is a field trip coming up, they write a story (a couple of paragraphs) about what will happen. If DD has a meltdown about a spelling practice test, the story talks about the test and appropriate ways to handle the situation. She also has some generic social stories that walk her through concepts like sharing, taking turns, making conversation (all things she can do when she is calm, but they are the first things to go out the window when she gets agitated.) DD can then review these stories with us as reminders of how to handle these kind of situations and the expectations that nuerotypical people are going to have.

She has also been working with a therapist and she really likes having that outlet. He has provided some great advice to us. Foremost, he suggested we impose a choice between continuing a disruptive behavior or having a 5 minute time out. If she chooses to stop, yay! If not, she has made the choice to take a 5 minute time out. If she refuses to take the 5 minutes, the choice is presented again, take your five minute break, or choose to have an additional 5 minutes (10 total). The key is consistency and not negotiating the time back down. It took a couple times before DD took us seriously and realized we were really going to make her sit in her room for 90 mins. if she continued to choose time outs. Your daughter is a bit older, so maybe time outs wouldn't be the best route, but offering the choice and then being consistent and calm with the consequences seems to be the key.

Another thing he said which made so much sense is that most of us are on a road. If there is a bump in the way, we can swerve but stay on course. We can even take a little detour and still end up basically where we want to go. AS kids are on a track. They don't swerve and they have anticipations as to what the stops along the way are going to be. You have to get out ahead of them and let them know what is coming if there is going to be a change. Obviously we can't do that all the time and there are some things we can't compromise on, but if you can prepare for the things you can control and help them cope you cut down on the level of frustration for everyone.

Anyway, I was very confused and frustrated when we started untangling what was going on with DD when she was around 4 and we realized the behaviors we were seeing were beyond the typical ranges. The hardest thing for me has been the fact that my DD is very smart and her AS is not obvious to the causal observer. I can't tell you how many times she has had a meltdown in public, or even in front of people we know, and people assume she is spoiled or just not disciplined enough. That is always hard to take, because we work really hard with her and try to do our best. I know we have made mistakes too. So don't get discouraged, you aren't alone!

I have a Aspie boy who is 18. Definately the black and white is extremely difficult to deal with at times as a parent......Sometimes I just try to take a step back and rethink the problem or issue and see if I can explain it in a different way that might make him get it without completely blowing up.

Add my Foster son to the ASD list here. If your library does not have the books ask them to do an inter-library loan to get you the books you want.

One of the things that helped me was another parent reminded me that each of our kids are different even if they have the same issues, so what works for one does not always work for another. This said many times it is other SN parents that can expand your tool kit for helping our kids.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter