• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ASMu preferance for two adults?

disneycrazi said:
We stayed in Jazz and it was great. We didn't pay extra so maybe we had one of the non preferred rooms in that building, but it was a quick hop to the main hall and the bus. Plus we love Jazz so the music piped in around our building was awesome. Enjoy!

Actually probably what happened is you were sprinkled with pixie dust and got a free upgrade. Quite often the Front Desk CMs at the Values don't necessarily know the categories (as well as they should) and you were upgraded and they just never told you. I think as long as you get at least what you pay for, it isn't the end of the world if you aren't advised that you have been upgraded. I go often enough and to the same resort I pretty much know where my room's going to be once they give me the number. There's only about one upgrade I would refuse at my preferred value resort and that's due to noise! LOL!

Calypso and Jazz buildings have preferred rooms and family suites. If you paid for a standard room and got put in Jazz building you were upgraded and not told about it.

ASMu it does matter. I would pay the extra to be closer.

I agree! Pay for a preferred room at ASMu. If you study the map you'll understand why. The Calypso rooms are way closer to the counter service and buses than Rock, Broadway or Country.

DH & I enjoy ASMu & have stayed several times in the Jazz Building. Our last room was on the bottom floor close to the parking lot and next to a row of family suites. It was a quick walk to the food court and the bus stop. It was very quiet and we loved that spot.

Forgive me for being a nerd-person ;) but the info I had also was that Jazz & Calypso are the Preferred buildings at ASMu. I saw there was conflicting info here and decided to call Disney directly to clear it up. The CM I talked to clarified that Jazz & Calypso are the Preferred buildings at ASMu. Their # is (407) 939-5277.

I called the resort directly at 407-939-6000 and was told that the preferred rooms were located in the Calypso buildings. No mention of Jazz was made.

CM's are sometimes less informed than those of us on the DIS!

I called yesterday to switch our resie from ASMu Std. to ASMo Pref. and requested the Toy Story section. She assured me that although it's not guaranteed, I would have a good chance of getting my request "since there are only 2 preferred sections at ASMo: Toy Story and Fantasia".

I had to correct her that there's actually 3 preferred sections: TS, Fantasia AND Dalmatians. She did some checking and told me sure enough, I was right, there are 3 preferred sections at ASMo.

So although I knew the correct info, how many guests were given incorrect info by this particular CM alone? I'm sure it happens a LOT on a daily basis.

From everything I've heard, the only preferred section at ASMu is Calypso. Jazz is standard, but quite popular because it's the closest standard to the lobby, food court & busses.

I"ve done a preferred and a non preferred at ASMu.

Frankly I was fine with both.

The first time I was in Calypso and on the backside away from the pool. It was nice to be close (parent's were with me for that trip so they appreciated the shorter walk). It wasn't too noisy and we were actually kinda equal distance from food/bus and the lot where I parked. It was $10 bucks more per night at the time and worth it.

Second time I was in Country Fair and doing a solo stay, the location is at least straight back (broadway is back and then to the left) and was a really easy walk. I was on the back side away from the quiet pool and even when they were playing music I didn't hear it. I thought the walk was completly managable.

I"d probably not do a preferred if I didn't have to worry about kids/grandparents. I think it is a managable size walk (5 min leisurly pace, and frankly I prefer being away from the main pool.

Actually Jazz and Calypso are both preferred buildings that you have to pay extra to be in. They have family suites and preferred rooms in those 4 buildings.

If you plan on having a refillable mug or if you are going to be eating at the food court I would definitely pay for the preferred room.

Otherwise if you are only willing to pay for the standard room you could be anywhere. I would call and request they add a room request to your reservation and ask to be placed near a bus stop if you are going to be using the buses.

Asking to be close to the food court is really not going to get you close to the food court because the closest they would put you is the third building back past Calypso and Jazz. That wouldn't be too bad. But if you are all the way at the back I think it would suck.

I wouldn't ever stay there without getting a preferred room. But our kids use their mugs and we eat breakfast in the food court every day and may occasionally go there for a quick dinner on the nights we don't have ADRs.

I will be walking a thousand miles every day in the parks so I don't want to be walking forever at my resort either.

I have stayed in both Jazz and Country Fair. Jazz wasn't a preferred building. yes, they have family suites in them, but I don't think the regular rooms are considered preferred.
Having said that....my room in Country Fair felt like it was in another town!!! I don't mind a longish walk..heck, I own at BWV and we all know how long those hallways are. But in all reality?? The walk was really long. It prevented me from going to the food court in the morning,, after doing it twice!! Now, it's probably not all that long, steps-wise, but it felt like it took forever. It may just be the way it's laid out...you can see that main building as soon as you start the walk but it seems like a mirage!!!
I loved my stay in Jazz. So, I would pay for a preferred room. It was so nice to be a bit closer. If you pay for Calypso, you will be right next to the main bldg, the food court and the bus stops.

We stayed in the jazz bldg. last year and it was not a preferred location. It is the closest building to the buses and main building without being preferred! We are staying again this year same place and requested jazz building again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter