Asking for "free stuff"

We just returned from our first trip to Disneyworld. On our last day at DHS, we were blessed with Fast passes for Fantasmic (we were in line to talk to Guest Services) from a cm after telling him that we would most likely skip it. We were then given several magic fast passes for any ride after spending an hour trying to get my Husbands a Magic Band to work. Sometimes bring nice and patient helps.

well, just got back last week.... IDK about 'free stuff' but we had a great time! I think our best moment was at the Dolphin,checking in.... we had a REALLY good room deal...:thumbsup2 so when the cm gave me my key, I thanked her,and politely asked,"will we be able to see the beautiful Swan hotel across the way from our room? it's such a nice view"....(never stayed here before,so I didn't really know anything about the rooms) she said "hold on a minute" and re assigned us a room....she gave us a room on a high floor,directly overlooking the walkway between the two hotels,a great view of Boardwalk,Epcot,and Studios also!:cool1: what a nice smidge of pixie dust! (they call them cm's at Dolphin also) ....

We took our kids in June. It was our son's first visit, our daughters' second (but they are young so it was all new). The first day, when activating our military passes, the CM was having a really hard time. It happens, but she was so apologetic and very unexpectedly gave us an "open" fastpass (which is, allegedly, still in Disney's computer system at guest relations....we never needed it so they told us we can use it in the future). Then on our last park day, we came into Epcot the back way and saw Mary Poppins walking out to a character greeting spot. She took my daughter's hand and walked with us for a few minutes. Also that day, we passed a CM on the walkway, and my oldest daughter asked him about his pins. She had left hers in the hotel room, so she couldn't trade, but he very sweetly gave her one (then two, then three, so her brother and sister would also have one!).
There are few things more amazing in life than a Disney vacation. :)

I've had the good luck, occasionally, to come across characters in quiet places in the parks where they weren't expected to be and had a blast chatting with them, hamming it up and having fun.
That's my "free stuff." :goodvibes

A few years ago after my dad beat cancer, we had our first Christmas trip to Disney. When they asked what we were celebrating, we told them about my dad, and they brought him over a little cake at a few of our dinners.

Fast forward to last year. Our house was hit by Sandy the trip was put into question. After 2 weeks of clean up, we all decided we would go to Disney come h*ll or high water (no pun intended). I wrote Disney telling them we had been hit by Sandy and our trip was in question. I told them that we decided to still go as a morale booster and if they could make note of it that we were celebrating "moving on past Sandy."

We got there Christmas Eve, and after dinner, we returned to the hotel to see that we had a message. The front desk said we had a package waiting for us from the Disney Florist. My sister kept eyeing me down as we walked to the front desk. She kept saying "what'd you do? Did you buy us a tree?" Honestly, I had forgotten I even wrote Disney. We started wondering if people from home had sent a gift. My sister works at a close-knit well-off school and her students families were very good to us with sending gifts and helping.

When we got to the front desk, the CM handed us this gigantic reusable shopping bag. It was HEAVY. We got back to the hotel and read the tag. It said it was from our "Family at the Disney Reservation Center" It was filled with goodies - Goofy's Sour Balls, Chip and Dale Pretzels (AMAZING), Rice Krispie Treats, cookies, bottled drinks, candy, etc. I put two and two together. I had never asked for anything free, just asked for it to be noted for when we went to dinner. This was over the top. The entire bag was easily $75 - $100. Easily. Here's a pic:

When people ask why my family goes each year, with all of us being an "older family (61, 59, 29, 24), I tell that story. Disney takes care of its guests and that top notch service is what keeps us going back! (and the magic)

Moments happen. They just do. When you aren't expecting them. We had our getting first character meal at Tusker House. We had just got there and went to the restaurant to eat, hadn't seen anything except the walk back there. The host sat us down, told us our servers name and left. Before our server got there, a CM came up and started talking to us, He said that his "friends" would be coming in just a min, and would do a loop so don't stress about getting to see all of them. I thought, okay, He is a CM who goes with the characters. He was kneeling at our table and we just kept talking. Wonderful conversation. Our server had come over at that time and was standing by and talking too. Then the first CM asked if we were watch the parade. We said, honestly, most likely, but, no clue since we literally just got here. He said, oh, you have to see the parade, do you have a map? I will show you the best place to watch it.

Then He showed us on the map where it started and the parade route. My server was just smiling at this point, we were clueless. I said, "ya, I get it, it's all a good spot!" He said no, how about you are IN the parade? I looked at my 17yr daughter who is a musical theater kid and she was crying. I didn't realize what was really going on. But Joe had chosen us to ride in the first season Jingle Jangle parade! We were to meet him at 3pm at a certain point. I kept asking if this was real,He said Yep, and we are going to dress you up. OK then! He told us where and what time to meet him. Joe left and we enjoyed our meal. We were still in aw. Then our server sat down told us that Joe's job is to find about 7 families from the park for the parade and we will love it. After the shock wore off, I thought that it was going to mess with my fp +. Our server told is to go to each ride and te them we are a parade family and there will make it work. Boy did they. No waiting for safari or other rides. It was a magical day even before parade! Parade time came and met Joe at our designated spot and were told "you are going backstage today and absolutely no pictures are allowed." we had to sign a waiver saying no photos and no details could be released. We agreed, along with the other families there...

We then went backstage and learned that we would be getting free photos too. And then we got dressed up. We had so much fun. Got to walk around backstage where all the characters and dancers and security and everyone was getting ready. It really was surreal. It was then that we got up on our floats, a quick lesson on rules and such. The music started, and we were off. It was absolutely insane. Waving and blowing kisses to everyone along the parade route. People kept waving at us too! At one point, I seriously thought, do these people know me? Lol Later that afternoon, people recognized us. It was so surreal.

It was a perfect magical moment and a once in a lifetime opportunity for sure. So, don't expect anything. Expect to go to WDW and have your mind blown. :)

LUCKY!!!!! That sounds like fun!!!

Our best "magical moment" was at AK too. The first year EE opened, we were selected to be first family. We've ridden many, many times since but that was our very first ride. It was awesome! We were the only four riders, first ride if the day. Our train slowed almost to a stop under the YETI!! The YETI growled and swiped and we screamed!!! Great time!!!

Would you believe we were also selected to be first family on RnRC and ToT?

I've been a few times to Disney and to us it's the little Pixie Dust things that just make the trip.

My daughter was in line to meet Mickey and they stopped the line for his break just as it was her turn. When he returned he brought out a yellow flower to give to her. She was so excited.

Another time we were leaving MK and trying to go to HS. We were at the buses trying to mull over the best way for us to go. A CM approached us and asked if we needed help and where we were going. So we told him. He said oh that's easy just come with me. He loaded us up in his van and brought us straight to HS. He had pirate items in the van and gave us all eye patches, hook hands, bandanas and all sorts of things. He told us that was his job to just look for people and take them where they need to go and make their trip just a little more special.

I know my daughter loves being called princess when she's wearing her costumes, and on one bus ride the bus driver came over the loud speaker right after she got on and said for everyone to bow and to behave because there was royalty on the bus. There weren't a lot of people and it's way all mainly adults but everyone did bow and my daughter got a kick out of it. She even said she couldn't wear her Belle dress anymore because everyone thought she was the real Belle...lol!

We were pixie dusted with a semi private ride on the safari at AK before opening about 4 years ago. We were standing towards the left and a CM gathered about 10 people to take on the safari during the opening show. It was great!!

About 10 years ago, my sister and I were on the final run of the Jungle Cruise one night. We we're college aged and there were two other groups around our age. We were given the "adult tour" and the CM backed the boat up to trigger the natives again so we could (sorta) hear one say "I love disco." This was super fun!

Some things that have happened to us: Biggest youngest DD got to dance with Prince Charming at 1900 Fare. She was so excited to be picked. She got beads from CM at POR.
Oldest DD got some desserts in DTD on her birthday and a whole store sang to her. We once had some stickers that Disney gave us that said VIP and we had CM's talking to us every where.

I think that is about all, so far ;).... Youngest would love to ride the teacups with Alice. Alice is one of her favorite characters.

Agree 110%

While my DD and I were waiting for our order at the Backlot Express a CM behind the counter noticed we only had one cup between us (we were sharing, it was a small money saver for me). He said "I count 2 of you" to which I responded "yes, we're sharing". He made a big deal about it and said "we can't have that" and gave us another cup.

This pixie dust isn't even close to what some people get (or expect) but I was thrilled that he took the time to notice and made our day even brighter by the gesture. For us, it's the small, unexpected things.

pixiedust:

:thumbsup2

Moments happen. They just do. When you aren't expecting them. We had our getting first character meal at Tusker House. We had just got there and went to the restaurant to eat, hadn't seen anything except the walk back there. The host sat us down, told us our servers name and left. Before our server got there, a CM came up and started talking to us, He said that his "friends" would be coming in just a min, and would do a loop so don't stress about getting to see all of them. I thought, okay, He is a CM who goes with the characters. He was kneeling at our table and we just kept talking. Wonderful conversation. Our server had come over at that time and was standing by and talking too. Then the first CM asked if we were watch the parade. We said, honestly, most likely, but, no clue since we literally just got here. He said, oh, you have to see the parade, do you have a map? I will show you the best place to watch it. Then He showed us on the map where it started and the parade route. My server was just smiling at this point, we were clueless. I said, "ya, I get it, it's all a good spot!" He said no, how about you are IN the parade? I looked at my 17yr daughter who is a musical theater kid and she was crying. I didn't realize what was really going on. But Joe had chosen us to ride in the first season Jingle Jangle parade! We were to meet him at 3pm at a certain point. I kept asking if this was real,He said Yep, and we are going to dress you up. OK then! He told us where and what time to meet him. Joe left and we enjoyed our meal. We were still in aw. Then our server sat down told us that Joe's job is to find about 7 families from the park for the parade and we will love it. After the shock wore off, I thought that it was going to mess with my fp +. Our server told is to go to each ride and te them we are a parade family and there will make it work. Boy did they. No waiting for safari or other rides. It was a magical day even before parade! Parade time came and met Joe at our designated spot and were told "you are going backstage today and absolutely no pictures are allowed." we had to sign a waiver saying no photos and no details could be released. We agreed, along with the other families there... We then went backstage and learned that we would be getting free photos too. And then we got dressed up. We had so much fun. Got to walk around backstage where all the characters and dancers and security and everyone was getting ready. It really was surreal. It was then that we got up on our floats, a quick lesson on rules and such. The music started, and we were off. It was absolutely insane. Waving and blowing kisses to everyone along the parade route. People kept waving at us too! At one point, I seriously thought, do these people know me? Lol Later that afternoon, people recognized us. It was so surreal. It was a perfect magical moment and a once in a lifetime opportunity for sure. So, don't expect anything. Expect to go to WDW and have your mind blown. :)

Your story was so exciting. That must have been an incredible experience that you'll never forget!

The best moments are definitely the unexpected.

Several years ago, my brother and I were in Art of Disney (DTD) sitting at the small table coloring. A CM sat, colored, and chatted with us for a good twenty minutes. She even talked to our parents for a while and bragged on "what well-behaved siblings" we were. Which was totally not true.:rolleyes: A few days later, we were in Goofy's Candy Co. and that same CM was in there. She recognized us and even remembered our names. She told us to hang on and then went to the counter and asked for some "fudge for my friends". The man handed over three or five LARGE chunks of assorted fudge and then let us pick out specific ones that we wanted, as well. It turns out, the CM we had colored with was one of the managers in the DTD area.

Another time, my brother and I (I guess we just look like we need pixie dust :confused3) were in Mousegears and a CM approached us with a snowglobe that had a golf tee and floating golfball. She told us if we could shake the snowglobe and land the ball on the tee, we could each pick out a souvenir from that area of the store. We could not get it, but she instead gave us free ice cream passes!

I just love the ability to go to Disney. DH and I don't have the ability to go often but we were able to do a 3 night/4 day stay at All star sports last April. We decided to surprise our kids, in the midst of trying to pull off the surprise to my children, the CM at the front desk at check in, surprised me. I asked if she had some kind of button or something similar to surprise my then 9 and 3 year old. She told me to hold on a minute and walked to the back. To my amazement, she came back with a sorcerer mickey (plush), Princess Minnie (plush), two autograph books plus two autograph pens. I was blown away! The nicest gesture and was completely unexpected.

Moments happen. They just do. When you aren't expecting them. We had our getting first character meal at Tusker House. We had just got there and went to the restaurant to eat, hadn't seen anything except the walk back there. The host sat us down, told us our servers name and left. Before our server got there, a CM came up and started talking to us, He said that his "friends" would be coming in just a min, and would do a loop so don't stress about getting to see all of them. I thought, okay, He is a CM who goes with the characters. He was kneeling at our table and we just kept talking. Wonderful conversation. Our server had come over at that time and was standing by and talking too. Then the first CM asked if we were watch the parade. We said, honestly, most likely, but, no clue since we literally just got here. He said, oh, you have to see the parade, do you have a map? I will show you the best place to watch it.

Then He showed us on the map where it started and the parade route. My server was just smiling at this point, we were clueless. I said, "ya, I get it, it's all a good spot!" He said no, how about you are IN the parade? I looked at my 17yr daughter who is a musical theater kid and she was crying. I didn't realize what was really going on. But Joe had chosen us to ride in the first season Jingle Jangle parade! We were to meet him at 3pm at a certain point. I kept asking if this was real,He said Yep, and we are going to dress you up. OK then! He told us where and what time to meet him. Joe left and we enjoyed our meal. We were still in aw. Then our server sat down told us that Joe's job is to find about 7 families from the park for the parade and we will love it. After the shock wore off, I thought that it was going to mess with my fp +. Our server told is to go to each ride and te them we are a parade family and there will make it work. Boy did they. No waiting for safari or other rides. It was a magical day even before parade! Parade time came and met Joe at our designated spot and were told "you are going backstage today and absolutely no pictures are allowed." we had to sign a waiver saying no photos and no details could be released. We agreed, along with the other families there...

We then went backstage and learned that we would be getting free photos too. And then we got dressed up. We had so much fun. Got to walk around backstage where all the characters and dancers and security and everyone was getting ready. It really was surreal. It was then that we got up on our floats, a quick lesson on rules and such. The music started, and we were off. It was absolutely insane. Waving and blowing kisses to everyone along the parade route. People kept waving at us too! At one point, I seriously thought, do these people know me? Lol Later that afternoon, people recognized us. It was so surreal.

It was a perfect magical moment and a once in a lifetime opportunity for sure. So, don't expect anything. Expect to go to WDW and have your mind blown. :)

The same thing happened to DD and me on our mother daughter Christmas trip when she was 12! We were asked during our Tusker House breakfast if we'd like to ride on Mickey's float in the Jingle Jungle parade. Of course we said yes! It was so totally a once in a lifetime event for us and made our whole trip so special.

A year and a half before that my family of 4 was approached by a CM as we came off the Kilimanjaro Safari ride. She asked us if we wanted to take a free backstage tour, meet an animal keeper and see some of the animals up close. We said yes and she loaded us up in a van and wisked us away for a special 1.5 hour tour!

Both times at AK we were wearing something distinctive - Santa hats at our Tusker House breakfast and matching white Mickey Mouse t-shirts the other time. I think that's what made the CMs notice us.

This summer at Disney California Adventure we were given a special Fastpass for our whole group for any ride after we participated in some fun boardwalk games with a couple of CMs. The CMs had us unscramble letters to form Disney words, play ring toss and try to hula hoop. The hula hoop business was hysterical and I think that's why they gave us the pass. We were really fun, great sports about the whole thing.

I never asked for any of this pixie dust...it just happened and that's what I love about Disney!

I agree! To me asking for stuff for free is just rude and in very poor taste. Pixie dust is supposed to be random. I can see some CMs just saying no, if asked for it. Sept 2012 we were checking into AKL and saw a lady next to us throwing a temper tantrum, because the CM wouldn't give her a free upgrade from a standard view to a savanna view. We heard her yell, "of course I didn't book a savanna view. Everyone knows you guys give out free upgrades all the time and I want one". I guess she thought the louder she got the better chance she had the CM would give in to her just to get rid of her. She even demanded a manager, who also told her no. I was glad he didn't give in to her. She was rude and obnoxious. What's funny is our CM did give us a free upgrade from a pool view to an Arusha Savanna view. We didn't even think about asking for an upgrade though and in fact would have been just as happy with the pool room we booked. When we asked him why we got the free upgrade, he winked, said pixie dust, and then pointed to the lady still griping and whispered 'that's the way to make sure you don't get one. Pixie dust is no fun unless it's random'. lol

I agree with you! Extras and upgrades are nice, but asking for them is just rude!!! Our first trip back in April 2013 we stayed at ASMu and we were checking in early. The CM told us our room wasn't ready yet so we were like ok we will get some lunch and wait. She then said she could try to change us to a room that was ready but then whispered that our current room was in a really good location. We said we could wait. She didn't have to do that. She could have just changed our room to one that was in a less desired location.

Our first trip I don't think we got anything special per se. We had 2 towel animals on a 9 night stay & our son got tons of Mickey stickers from everyone. We collected transportation cards but otherwise no special pixie dust or anything... It was the most wonderful trip ever. Our last trip we got phone messages from Mickey, lots of towel animals (almost daily) and a cupcake on my MIL bday. My hubby & I didn't get even a "happy anniversary" from a single CM the entire day on our wedding anniversary I don't think ... It was still an awesome trip. I agree that if you focus on what could've been you'll miss what was... Disney plain old disney - what's more awesome ? Seeing your kids faces when they hug Mickey or get a kiss from Cinderella. That's real! Watching them laugh till they are out of breath on teacups or proudly show everyone their "drivers license" - talk about magic - there it is! Seriously, I'm seeing a lot of dissatisfied customers on DIS & just don't get it. It's disney for crying out loud. U get zero pixie dust you still spent a day at disney - that, in and if itself, is so awesome ! Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards ... 09/2010 CBR Pirate Room ; 11/2012 POR Royal Room ; Early 2014 CS in planning process'

Well said!! People really need to step back and think about all the kids that will never get to go at all! Just being there is enough for me!

We have been to WDW a bunch and have several great surprises. My favorite one was at Le Cellier in 2006. We were celebrating my sons 2nd birthday and the staff all signed a card for him wishing him a magical birthday. We still have it. That was cool.

we stayed at CL AKL in sept for our anniversary and got the anniversary button and a nice gift from the CL Cm's but at our dinner at boma not even a happy anniversary for the staff and then breakfast a CP nothing....my previous stay in 2007 at the CL POLY we were on DDP and every place we ate we either had table w confeti cupcake with candle a special dessert plate or a card autographed by the characters and did not ask for this but our reservation noted it was our anniversary so they took upon themselves to do this i was sad no of this was done as i feel this is what disney is all about. there were other things we could not doe like ride up front in the mono rail...did that lots in 2007

You were really lucky and I think you also got some pixie dust! We also stayed at AKL CL for our anniversary in September, and nothing at all was done. We had the celebration noted on our reservation plus we mentioned it at check-in. We did not receive buttons, a gift from the CL staff, nothing. We ate dinner on our actual anniversary at Jiko and again, nothing was done. We were wearing the buttons (given to us by CMs in another restaurant without even asking) and the server didn't mention it once. Were we a little disappointed? Yes. But we still had an amazing time and was so appreciative to be there celebrating our special day! We did a split stay and the CMs at the Yacht Club, our next resort, more than made up for the lack of pixie dust at AKL. Just wanted to let you know that it sounds like you were "pixie dusted"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter