Aside from theme parks, what are the other must do’s in Orlando?

Blanco

Mouseketeer
I will arrive days ahead of our planned park trips and I would like to roam around and get to know Orlando’s culture, food and whatever it has to offer. Do you have any recommendations of your favorite hole I the wall food, farm to table restaurants and food joints?

and besides those, are there any unconventional things to try, say visit an orange farm or something unique to Orlando.

Thanks!

I take it that you have a car .

There are many eating places along Hwy 192 ( Animal Kingdom end ) Manny's Chop House

Olive Garden , Longhorn Steakhouse and others

Visit Showcase of Citrus Fruit farm ( Pick your own & Bus Buggy tour ride )

On Hwy 27 North ( Exit from Hwy 192 ..... A.K. end ) & about 8 miles on RIGHT after Passing

Tradds Landing estate

( B ) An airboat ride at Midway Airboat tours on Hwy 50 at Christmas ( yes and there is a Replica

of Fort Christmas ... and a Playground ..... a few miles up a side road )

( c ) Take a Pontoon Boat trip .... Blue Herron Boat Tours at Hontoon Island well worth the 30 mile drive

( D ) Others will say GatorLand , Kennedy Space Center , & other attractions.... The Choice is yours

I will second the recommendation for Showcase of Citrus. Their monster truck ride through the real, working orange groves is not only fun, its very "Florida". Their gift shop has the most amazing orange slushies that are made from the fruit grown in their groves.....be sure to have one after your ride. Also, check Groupon for discounted admission as that attraction often shows up there.

We drove out to Clermont to Lakeridge Winery on our December trip. The self-guided tour of the winery is no charge, and they have complimentary tastings at the conclusion. Their retail shop had some great stuff, and we very much enjoyed their wines (enough that we flew home 4 bottles!). The property is gorgeous and has some great views of the vineyards and surrounding landscapes.

Gatorland is a must-see in Florida. Cheesy, silly, and oh-so-gator-y! They offer a fabulous Night Shine tour which takes you through the park and out in the swamp, after dark, with just flashlights to light your way. The guide brings a huge bucket of gator chow and those gators just come motoring over.....and when you shine your flashlight on them in the dark, all you can see are a thousand orange eyeballs moving through the water. You'll also get a chance to meet and hold some very cool non-gator residents before your tour begins, with some fabulous photo ops. It was one of the coolest things we've done in quite a few trips! (Michael, the guide, is incredible......so much fun)

Another fun thing we did as a family a few years ago was rent a pair of jet skis to take out on the lakes. We toured Lake Minneola and Lake Minnehaha, and the scenery was breathtaking. Our son was an older teen at the time, and to this day its probably the Orlando activity he's enjoyed the most out of all of our trips. Definitely something I would recommend.

Airboat rides are great. We have gone on rides with Wild Willy's and Wild Florida, and very much enjoyed the tours with both companies. We found the drive to Wild Florida a bit easier, and WF has an animal park that you can do as well, but Wild Willy's had really wonderful staff and we got to hold a baby gator after the tour. So both were excellent experiences.

If you're up for a drive, we also had an amazing time on a dolphin sailing through Dolphin Landings out of St. Petersburg a few years ago. While we paired that activity with a baseball game at Tropicana Field, I would make the trip just for the dolphin sail alone....it was that good. We saw so many dolphins jump and swim right alongside the boat!

A few other ideas........I have heard Rock Springs at Kelly Park is a nice outing (still on our to-do list).

We are heading to Winter Park for a day on our trip later this month and are going to do the boat tour there, visit Gideon's Bakeshop (hopefully without the crazy lines at the Disney Springs location), tour the shops on Park Avenue (and do the wine tasting at the Wine Room), and maybe explore a few of their parks.

And don't discount the awesomeness of a beach day. We have done Cocoa Beach and Daytona, and the latter is our fave between the two (though both are beautiful).

I just drove past Gatorland on Friday ... Parking lot was packed & big crowd waiting for the Open... I said to myself I need to go to Gatorland
Must be fun !

And I heard “April“ for Citrus Showcase best Florida Visalia Oranges

Gatorland is a quintessential "Old Florida" roadside attraction...well worth a visit. Jungle Adventures in Christmas (about 40 miles from the Disney property) is another one.

I would recommend the Orange County Regional History Center in downtown Orlando and then a walk around Lake Eola which is right next door.

Unique restaurants and bars are generally found outside of the "tourist corridor". Downtown Orlando and the Thornton Park district near Lake Eola are good places to start.

Please do not eat at Olive Garden.

I was just thinking the same thing-Orlando does have a food culture!
I haven't been in a long time (thanks covid) but there is a podcast that has an episode on Orlando restaurants, look up The Zest podcast. Might get good ideas there.

Gatorland and Kennedy Space Center are a lot of fun. I would double check that the Space Center is doing bus tours before driving out there.

Showcase of Citrus looks fun although I've never been.

Tim Tracker just posted a video from Mount Dora, which looks like a neat downtown.

If you like thrill rides, you could check out Fun Spot Kissimmee or Busch Gardens Tampa.

DOMU in Dr. Phillips and Sakura Asian Fusion are both good for quick, cheap food. I've also heard Winter Park is a great neighborhood for that, but I've never been. You can also visit the original Gideon's cookies, to avoid the 2 hour waits people have in Disney Springs.

Why ..... Please Explain ?

I wasn't the poster who made the comment you're quoting, but I think most people don't wish to dine at run-of-the-mill chain restaurants that you can find virtually anywhere in the United States when they travel to Orlando on vacation. They are looking for more unique dining options, or more regional dining options....experiences they can't get at home.

When we lived in Canada, our son always wanted to hit up the bevy of American chains that we would see advertised on US TV stations....places like Chili's and Olive Garden. It was novel for us then, because we didn't have those restaurants at home. But for most American guests, they're looking to make their vacations special, and when they can have pasta and bread sticks at home, Orlando offers so many better great places to eat.

Gatorland and Kennedy Space Center are a lot of fun. I would double check that the Space Center is doing bus tours before driving out there.

Showcase of Citrus looks fun although I've never been.

Tim Tracker just posted a video from Mount Dora, which looks like a neat downtown.

If you like thrill rides, you could check out Fun Spot Kissimmee or Busch Gardens Tampa.

DOMU in Dr. Phillips and Sakura Asian Fusion are both good for quick, cheap food. I've also heard Winter Park is a great neighborhood for that, but I've never been. You can also visit the original Gideon's cookies, to avoid the 2 hour waits people have in Disney Springs.

Mt dora is great, but I’m biased because I live close by! It’s got a ton of unique family owned eateries.

Rock springs is incredible. That’s a must do!

and clermont has a lot of fun things too, as well as winter garden!

You mentioned farm to table. I know both dandelion cafe and infusion tea are local organic places. Winter park has a farm to table restaurant called Orlando meats with grass fed options.
But honestly, come to Mt. Dora. Enjoy downtown. Ride the cataramans. And eat at the Goblin Market. You will not be disappointed!

Check out Loch Haven Park. Within it is a bunch of museums and theaters. Leu Gardens is right around the corner and is a nice place to walk around and little smell the flowers. Unfortunately the theaters are closed at the moment but are still attempting to do shows. If you're into it, check out what the Orlando Shakespeare Theater is going to do when you are in town. At the moment they are doing A Midsummer's Night Dream at the Walt Disney Amphitheater at Lake Eola Park, which in itself is an Orlando non-tourist icon. I think the Orlando Ballet is also doing performances there as well. It's nice they have a great outdoor location for all of this. Orlando actually has a decent arts scene that I don't think a lot of tourists know about or get to experience. Why not see Shakespeare or a ballet on vacation?!

For food, you have to find a 4 Rivers. It's a small family owned chain and is constantly ranked as the best BBQ in the area. It's got a a bit of a cult following to be honest, and when I lived there it wasn't uncommon to see lines out the door around lunchtime. Orlando also has it's own Little Siagon if you like pho and other Vietnamese food.

Mount Dora is somewhere we visit a lot and it is beautiful with lots to see and do and plenty of unique food options. The lake is lovely to walk around and you do see alligators, snakes and turtles all around it. One of our favourite places to visit.

Winter Park is also beautiful, again, lots to see and do, we visit at least once a trip. And I agree with whoever mentioned 4Rivers.....amazing place and again, once or twice a visit is a must do. And yes, the line is usually out the door at lunch times, but worth the wait.

Also Winter Garden is a gorgeous town to go visit. Again lots of unique stores and food options and an amazing Farmers Market on a Saturday. Chef`s Table at the Edgewater was a wonderful experience.

Lake Eola on a Sunday has a farmers market too, and it is beautiful to walk around anytime of the week.

New Smyrna Beach is one of the nicest around for a visit, have visited on calm still days and days where the sea is perfect for surfing. There`s a boardwalk where you can observe manatees up close. JB`s Fish Camp was a revelation on seafood....truly amazing, and again, quite rustic but we`ll be going back there.

Bok Tower Gardens was lovely, but a bit dull to us to be honest. If you`re fond of places like that you`d love it. There are Orange Groves all around it, very beautiful.

There is a little shack of a place nearby in Lake Wales called Cherry Pocket Steak and Seafood Shak....it is a little unique to say the least, but food was stupendous. It is in a trailer park that is very lived in, but the staff and food were wonderful.

KSC is the jewel of the crown of places to visit, pre covid. Not sure what`s open now but it is the most amazing place if you are at all interested in anything to do with that....one of our highlights of all our trips.

Lakeridge Winery is beautiful, it`s set in beautiful grounds and if you like sweet wine, you`ll enjoy their wine. Not for us as they were all too sweet for us, but they do have a lovely gift shop and the tour is fun.

There are so many hole in the wall type places all around, but if you enjoy nicer restaurants, spend some time looking at Dr Phillips.....beautiful restaurants and also on a different note, Bubbalous Bodacious Barbecue.....again, it looks rustic, but food is beyond wonderful, but not quite as good as 4Rivers.

Teak Neighborhood Grill is a 5 minute Drive from Universal Orlando Resort....not a chain and has some wonderful burgers and other dishes.

Dixie Cream Cafe in Windermere and Celebration are all worth a visit for unique non chain restaurants.

OP wants Orlando culture. Olive Garden, in addition to being aggressively mediocre, is one of the biggest chains in the country.

Thank you for this information .

As I am not a U.S.A. person I did not know that Olive Garden had branches throughout the country.

Thank you for this information .

As I am not a U.S.A. person I did not know that Olive Garden had branches throughout the country.
Except it is the only place that serves Toasted Ravioli ... I grew up in St. Louis and that is unique for the Italian neighborhood Restaurants on the Hill. I also love the Zuppa Toscani soup and the salads and the breadsticks and the tiramisu when I eat at the Olive Garden.

check the launch schedule .... there's stuff happening quite routinely ..... https://spacecoastlaunches.com/launch-list/ ... if a launch is scheduled it is a good day to head over to the Cocoa area ... just about anyplace on the beach is good viewing ... 'the pier' is good, & Jetty Park is about as close as you can get without base access .... even one of the port bar/ restaurant can give a very good view. I shot this a few days ago of the SpaceX launch .... I was on site and about as close as a spectator can get without being on the launch team!

Last edited:
check the launch schedule .... there's stuff happening quite routinely ..... https://spacecoastlaunches.com/launch-list/ ... if a launch is scheduled it is a good day to head over to the Cocoa area ... just about anyplace on the beach is good viewing ... 'the pier' is good, & Jetty Park is about as close as you can get without base access .... even one of the port bar/ restaurant can give a very good view. I shot this a few days ago of the SpaceX launch .... I was on site and about as close as a spectator can get without being on the launch team!
Was JUST about to come post this! Crew-2 is going up around 6am on Thurs 4/22 if you're in the area. I'm driving up from South Florida just to get a chance to see it. Crew-1 will be coming back sometime soon as well if the 22nd doesn't work with your schedule.

ETA: GREAT video, @Capt_BJ!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter