Ashley furniture?

chrissyd1

Mouseketeer
I am looking at Ashley furniture.

How is the quality?

If I go to an Ashley store - do i have to haggle over price - or do I just accept what they tell me?

Please help - i hate furniture shopping!!!

I have some Ashley furniture, purchased over 10 years ago... The quality isn't too bad - although we did have minor problems with both the bedroom set and the dining room set, that we (as young newlyweds) didn't know we could have remedied...

My dresser (wide and low, with a mirror), has multiple spots where there was either a crack or a ding (or both) that was puttied over. And after being moved once and stuffed to the gills for 10+ years, the drawer bottoms have warped a bit.

The dining room furniture was basically ok, except for some dings.

I'm not sure about haggling over price... I think the only leverage you might have would be if you paid with cash versus using a CC. (or, signed up for their CC.)

I hear people refer to Ashley furniture as disposable. :confused3 I guess you just need to figure out how long you want it to last. With people redecorating so often today (compared to our parents generation) maybe that's what they are aiming for with disposable. It will need to be replaced before its long out of style.

If you want something that will last & last & last, look elsewhere.

We love our Ashley counch and loveseat bought 3 years ago. We did not haggle, I am not sure where they stand on that. I did negotiate free delivery though.

We bought Ashley Dining and living room furniture 7 years ago, and it is still in great shape. Unfortunately, We bought it all pre-kids, so the beige couches had to go, as well as the white dining chairs (which didn't go far...just to the garage for now)
The living room tables are amazing. I can use the end tables to help me clean the high places, they are very sturdy, and very good quality. They are super easy to clean as well.
I bought mine from another furniture store, not from Ashley, so I couldn't tell you about them, sorry!

I personally think its junkie. I have al sorts of furniture from Ethan allen..century.. keller to Bombay. I think you can get better quality for the price at other places. Have you checked out Mealys??? That is of course if you have one near you.
Good luck.

I don't think it is the highest quality. I would never hesitate to haggle...what could it hurt? With the economy the way it is you never know...just ask them what the lowest price they will take is. I haggled over everything from my car to my dog and cat...and my furniture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

YES -make an offer to get a better price. Another tactic is to ask for the tables to be thrown in free if you pay full price on the sofa. One thing is for sure, buying furniture is like buying a car. If you don't ask for a discount, you won't get one. End of the month is also the best time to buy furniture because of sales quotas. Obviously, dealing with cash gives you way more leverage than credit. If you are using your own credit card, don't tell them until AFTER you have negotiated your price.

I've been in Ashley stores and really -- "quality" depends so much on one's budget and lifestyle. Some people buy $500 sofas while others would have nothing less than a $5000 sofa in their home. To ensure you are getting a good piece of furniture, shop around - compare quality in your price range (construction, fabric quality, etc.) and make a decision in your comfort zone.

Finally - don't forget to ask for free delivery and setup. If the delivery team bangs up anything at all - tell them to take it back to their truck and that you aren't accepting it. Call the store and report what happened and find out when they can deliver a replacement.

Ashley Furniture is ok. It is not made of the best materials so it will not stand up as well as lets say a better brand (Stanley, Hooker, etc). If you like to get new furniture every few years then I would go with Ashley, if you are looking for something you want to last years and years (like a bedroom set) I would save up and get a better quality or shop around.

I will not buy it again. We purchased family room furniture inlcuding couch, loveseat, chaise lounge and tables. We have a recliner that keeps breaking, they will come out and fix it but not replace. the tables have had a handle fall out, a tile that came chipped (they are a rough style and the guy tried to convince me it was suppossed to be that way). I love their styles and thought they had so much better looking stuff than other places. I just think the quality is lowsy.

Ashley Furniture just folded here in Columbia, SC as well as Augusta, GA. They just closed the doors one day. People with furniture ordered were at a loss. Several local news stations picked up the story and long story short, another Ashley Furniture store in the upstate is supposedly going to make good on the furniture orders. This all just happened within the past couple of months, so I'm thinking orders are still unresolved. I think I would look at the company's solvency prior to purchasing. JMHO

You can google these stories as I am unable to post links to both the stories from WIS in Columbia, SC and WRDW in Augusta, GA.

Good luck in your decision making process.

I'm in the minority here it seems...I bought a sofa/loveseat combo 3 years ago and I absolutely love it. When it comes to price, always try to get a better deal, most employees of furniture companies work on an all-commission basis so they will work with you to get the price that you are willing to pay.

Good luck!

We weren't impressed with the things we got from Ashley at all. The quality was "eh." However, if you just need some things to get you through then it would be fine. It's certainly not the type of furniture you buy to hand down from generation to generation!

It is not furniture that will last to pass down to kids so to speak but it will last a good while- everything has wear and tear and their policy has held up with us- they have restuffed pillows, fixed where seams have come undone, etc w/ no problem- (have had already 6 years) So it depends on your usage and how "hard" your family is on furniture (We have 5 kids now ages 7 thru 17 & 4 of them are boys)

YES! Haggle haggle more than once- AND if you take something from the floor you can get up to 50% off or better!! We did it! So, as it is my 6 year old furniture (entire living group w/o tables) priced retail $3000 plus at the time- we paid after tax and all $1900- something- I remember because I was so thrilled- (& a very big haggler) LOL
BTW, DON'T take the tables unless you really like them- They are the most marked up of all the furniture along w/ the lamps- Unless you NEED and like the tables and lamps make them leave them out of negotiations- Also, the furniture itself has HUGE markup- If the stores in your area are closing- I would take advantage of that and push to haggle much lower than I think they'll go- OR you can get a pretty good deal saying you will spend only so much money for this this and this - "which sets do you have that meet my conditions"- Then haggle after they show you AND again only if one of the sets meet your likes and wants! We don't buy everything there but we have bought there three times and have always been happy with our purchase, service and longevity of use-

Thank you for all in input.

I have 2 children under 5, so I am definately not looking for long term furniture. Just something to get through these really messy years.

So I guess I should really get over there soon and try to haggle becasue it is end of the month...

Thank you for all in input.

I have 2 children under 5, so I am definately not looking for long term furniture. Just something to get through these really messy years.

So I guess I should really get over there soon and try to haggle becasue it is end of the month...

Chrissy, before you buy, I would suggest doing some research on Ashley's return policy and customer service. You can google it. I bought furniture this year and decided against Ashley due to customer service issues people complained about. WHile I know that all companies will get bad reviews, these were major enough concerns to make me think twice.

Ashley just bought one of our big furniture stores here in Houston so I don't think all of them are going out. I don't have any Ashley furniture, but I love my Bassett couch!

I have noticed at Big Lots that they sell some Ashley furniture. If you have a Big Lots nearby check out their prices. I agree that their furniture is not built to last.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter