• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

As the Ticker Turns...the neverending saga of the Resort Changers

Going over 4th of July, I think I would stick with Poly or go with WL. CSR has multiple stops within the resort (same with CBR) and it's a definite pain when trying to cram so many people in a bus since that's a BUSY time! We had really good luck with the buses at WL last year and much preferred it over POR. Where will you spend your time mostly? Watching 4th of July fireworks inside a park or not?

We're going to be watching at the parks! MK on the 3rd and EPCOT on the 4th. We have park hoppers but are planning most of our time to be at the MK. We're only doing half days at hs and ak this time, and then spending 1 full day on the 4th at epcot. That's why we'd love the poly for both the boat and monorail but we're having a hard time justifying the price of it with construction still going on.

Hi Oswin! We've stayed at all three, including Poly with minor construction and Poly with major construction. Hard to say what it will be like in July, but I can understand wanting to wait until the construction is wrapped up - we'll be back in February 2016! Between WL and CBR, I'd absolutely choose WL. The easy transportation to MK is a huge benefit - the boat ride to/fro MK is so peaceful. And the easy access to the monorail resorts is nice - for dinner, shopping, etc. While CBR doesn't share a bus with other resorts, the internal loop takes such a long time, and it's bus everywhere. The balconies are another huge selling point for me at WL, along with the lobby, the theming, the pool area and the beautiful setting on the lake.

Texasgingerbread are you still at Poly next month?? I think you'll be good to go!

Yep. Still there. Glad to know the volcano pool is open. I do have to say I was tempted to switch to WL today. They had the best price to date and would have saved me $500 but I stayed put. Hoping it was a good decision. :) Holding out that the east pool construction won't bother us and hopefully we won't be facing it!!

Hmmmm, thinking about switching from 8 night stay mid August from Poly to BC. I'm thinking with only one pool open at the Poly, it will be crazy busy there.

If we are doing a 1/2 pool day do you think a cabana is worth the price? Have you ever had one?

Someone just sent me a message saying to keep an eye out for discounts for the time period I'm traveling, that they should be out in the next few weeks. I might just hang on to the idea of switching until I see what discounts are available for the Poly and make my choice at the end of March instead! I would feel much better about staying at the poly having a discount and not paying rack rate when there's construction still going on.

We're going to be watching at the parks! MK on the 3rd and EPCOT on the 4th. We have park hoppers but are planning most of our time to be at the MK. We're only doing half days at hs and ak this time, and then spending 1 full day on the 4th at epcot. That's why we'd love the poly for both the boat and monorail but we're having a hard time justifying the price of it with construction still going on.
I LOVE WL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poly is lovely, but until the construction is done I'd choose WL. The boat to MK is fantastic!!! You also don't have to walk in the rain if you take the buses the walkways are covered. I LOVE WL!!!

I'm currently booked at the Poly for June 29-July 5. I know the main pool will be open for our stay but I'm thinking I want to wait until next summer to stay at the Poly for the first time, once all the major construction is complete. This is also my first trip without my parents/whole family, me and my sister are going for our birthdays. We are primarily concerned with the bus situation (whether buses are shared and how long it takes to get to and from) and the size of the feature pool.

We're thinking of switching to Coronado Springs because we've heard good things about the bus system, the relatively central location, and the quality of the amenities offered for a moderate price. We're concerned by the fact we might have to hike a mile to get to the main building to refill our drink cups, and the theming isn't anything special to us (we're from Texas). The pool looks amazing though, and we're thinking it might be worth it to book a preferred room? We've heard negative things about the rooms feeling too plain and not Disney enough, but they look decent from the pictures we've seen. Nothing special but not awful either. The food here isn't a big pull for us, we'll probably avoid most of it since we get authentic Mexican and Tex Mex food at home. We've read that the bus stations leaving the parks are close/quick to get to for CSR, which is nice because we've had to hike all the way to the very last spot at EPCOT after a 12 hour day and it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.

We're also looking at Wilderness lodge, because of the cheaper deluxe price and proximity to the MK. But we're concerned about the possibility of sharing buses with other resorts for the price we're paying. The theming is cute and the pool is nothing spectacular, but we like that there's a "beach" we can sit out at during our afternoon breaks. The dining options here seem to be nice, too. We've read the rooms are on the smaller side but we like that everything is in one interior building with the exception of the bus, pool, and boat launches. Walking is at a minimum here, which will be good when we're going during the heat of the summer.

We like the pirate rooms at CBR but have read bad things about the buses here, and the layout seems confusing to us. There's a lack of dining choices, and the main pool seems cramped in all the pictures I've seen posted. The rooms almost seem fun enough to make up for this, though.

If you were choosing, which of the three would you pick to switch to? We're entirely undecided between CSR and WL, with the pirate rooms being a wild card at this point. Help!

Have you thought about the Beach Club? Best pool, walking to Epcot and HS, great nightlife (depending on your age) and I believe it's cheaper than Poly.
I wouldn't do CSR solely on the fact that you are from Texas so the theming might be boring to you.

I'm currently booked at the Poly for June 29-July 5. I know the main pool will be open for our stay but I'm thinking I want to wait until next summer to stay at the Poly for the first time, once all the major construction is complete. This is also my first trip without my parents/whole family, me and my sister are going for our birthdays. We are primarily concerned with the bus situation (whether buses are shared and how long it takes to get to and from) and the size of the feature pool.

We're thinking of switching to Coronado Springs because we've heard good things about the bus system, the relatively central location, and the quality of the amenities offered for a moderate price. We're concerned by the fact we might have to hike a mile to get to the main building to refill our drink cups, and the theming isn't anything special to us (we're from Texas). The pool looks amazing though, and we're thinking it might be worth it to book a preferred room? We've heard negative things about the rooms feeling too plain and not Disney enough, but they look decent from the pictures we've seen. Nothing special but not awful either. The food here isn't a big pull for us, we'll probably avoid most of it since we get authentic Mexican and Tex Mex food at home. We've read that the bus stations leaving the parks are close/quick to get to for CSR, which is nice because we've had to hike all the way to the very last spot at EPCOT after a 12 hour day and it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life.

We're also looking at Wilderness lodge, because of the cheaper deluxe price and proximity to the MK. But we're concerned about the possibility of sharing buses with other resorts for the price we're paying. The theming is cute and the pool is nothing spectacular, but we like that there's a "beach" we can sit out at during our afternoon breaks. The dining options here seem to be nice, too. We've read the rooms are on the smaller side but we like that everything is in one interior building with the exception of the bus, pool, and boat launches. Walking is at a minimum here, which will be good when we're going during the heat of the summer.

We like the pirate rooms at CBR but have read bad things about the buses here, and the layout seems confusing to us. There's a lack of dining choices, and the main pool seems cramped in all the pictures I've seen posted. The rooms almost seem fun enough to make up for this, though.

If you were choosing, which of the three would you pick to switch to? We're entirely undecided between CSR and WL, with the pirate rooms being a wild card at this point. Help!

I love the theme at CSR but I am from Michigan. I love the moderates as I like the spread out resort feel vs the typical tower hotels. It makes it more magical for me. If I were you though, I would pick WL or stay at the Poly. Check out CBR, that may be a good option as well. Gorgeous grounds! Alot of people don't like the big spread out resorts but I love them as it makes you feel like you are actually in the location of the theme. The bus system everywhere can be a pain but it is better than driving, lol.

We're 18 days away and I made another change, although I don't think it qualifies as a "resort change!" For our first two nights, we're trying Pop and the more I read, the more I thought a preferred room would be nice. Just $12 extra per night. I'd really like to be in the 50's, 60's or 70's sections just because we prefer those themes, so preferred would guarantee that. At Music last summer, we booked standard so that we had a good chance of getting our request for Broadway - and we did! So I don't mind walking at all, but the walk through some value resorts isn't as pleasant as, say, strolling through the Poly grounds!

Have you thought about the Beach Club? Best pool, walking to Epcot and HS, great nightlife (depending on your age) and I believe it's cheaper than Poly.
I wouldn't do CSR solely on the fact that you are from Texas so the theming might be boring to you.

I haven't considered Beach Club yet, but I just looked into their pool and WOW! It's not close to the MK (which is where we're spending most of our time) but that pool area is amazing! We could easily spend just a full day or two relaxing there.

I love the theme at CSR but I am from Michigan. I love the moderates as I like the spread out resort feel vs the typical tower hotels. It makes it more magical for me. If I were you though, I would pick WL or stay at the Poly. Check out CBR, that may be a good option as well. Gorgeous grounds! Alot of people don't like the big spread out resorts but I love them as it makes you feel like you are actually in the location of the theme. The bus system everywhere can be a pain but it is better than driving, lol.

I don't necessarily mind the spread out feel! Growing up, we stayed at Fort Wilderness cabins and Saratoga Springs a lot, both of which are pretty sprawling! CBR has the pirate rooms we think are a ton of fun but it looks like those rooms are pretty remote. Someone else suggested Port Orleans French Quarter for a smaller resort with a fun theme, but I don't think I could step foot in that food court. The giant parade float people are creepy!

Hello all!! It's been forever since I've been on the boards. I'm helping the inlaws start up their new appliance repair franchise, and it's been crazy busy. What started out at as me trying to convince the DH to do one of the Star Wars cruises in January 2016, since they have one on my birthday, ended up in us renting DVC points to stay at The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian. At one point, we didn't think we could make the trip happen. The DH got so depressed that he couldn't play any of his online games. tonight, we spent a couple of hours going over menus, and food pictures on Yelp, to try and figure out what TSs and CSs we will eat at. I have never seen him so excited for a Disney World trip.

Hello all!! It's been forever since I've been on the boards. I'm helping the inlaws start up their new appliance repair franchise, and it's been crazy busy. What started out at as me trying to convince the DH to do one of the Star Wars cruises in January 2016, since they have one on my birthday, ended up in us renting DVC points to stay at The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian. At one point, we didn't think we could make the trip happen. The DH got so depressed that he couldn't play any of his online games. tonight, we spent a couple of hours going over menus, and food pictures on Yelp, to try and figure out what TSs and CSs we will eat at. I have never seen him so excited for a Disney World trip.

:wave2: Wookie!! Congrats on your trip. :love: GF. Last August during our stay we strolled over to the villas Lobby to check it out! Looks pretty.
Maybe we'll see you in January. Haven't booked yet, I'll wait for discounts to come out, and also see where our Canadian dollar is next year, ugh. If it gets much lower I may not be going anywhere next year

:wave2: Wookie!! Congrats on your trip. :love: GF. Last August during our stay we strolled over to the villas Lobby to check it out! Looks pretty.
Maybe we'll see you in January. Haven't booked yet, I'll wait for discounts to come out, and also see where our Canadian dollar is next year, ugh. If it gets much lower I may not be going anywhere next year

Thank you!! I'm really excited about it. Heck even the DH is excited. We both have always wanted to stay at the GF. On our last trip to WDW, the DH said it was his dream resort. I need to go find the January 2016 threads and see if they already have a FB group, which I'm sure they do.

The Dis GF thread is very friendly. Full of helpful people. One of our fav things was watching Wishes from the patio of Gasperillas. We'd arrive early and grab a table, go in and order dinner, they deliver it to you outside. If you have wine they also provide those plastic wine glasses, fun! So many things to love about GF. Catch the Parasol parade one morning. I think it's 2x a week.

The Dis GF thread is very friendly. Full of helpful people. One of our fav things was watching Wishes from the patio of Gasperillas. We'd arrive early and grab a table, go in and order dinner, they deliver it to you outside. If you have wine they also provide those plastic wine glasses, fun! So many things to love about GF. Catch the Parasol parade one morning. I think it's 2x a week.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll suggest it to the hubby. The DH has decided that the only computer, in a household with 3 desktops, and 4 laptops, that the only one he can use to do his defensive driving class (for a ticket he got in December) is my laptop. As soon as he's done, I'll go check it out.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll suggest it to the hubby. The DH has decided that the only computer, in a household with 3 desktops, and 4 laptops, that the only one he can use to do his defensive driving class (for a ticket he got in December) is my laptop. As soon as he's done, I'll go check it out.
:drive::rotfl2:

Hi! I'm not sure were to begin, but I really feel like this board could help me.

In feb 2014, we went (for the first time in almost 30 yrs)for 5 nights & stayed at POR. Loved POR, but thinking of a change. In talking to my sis & BIL, I thought that access to MK was a priority. However, he is suggesting things that don't have anything but bus access.

Our options:
AKL Studio (dvc point rental would let us add a full day for less than we paid last year.)

Beach Club (Stormalong Bay looks appealing, but it will be the 1st week of Feb)

Wilderness Lodge (I feel it is a strong contender)

Poly (which is my dream, but dependent on price/discount.)

I just want a place to tentatively plan on. It's making me batty.

Our Group:
My parents (67-70ish)
My Aunt (60)
My DH & kids(DDs will be 5 & 8)
My Sis, BIL & DNiece (will be 3)

What do you suggest? We need 4 rooms. Do not really wan to share...

Thank you all so much! We are going to AL for spring break in 2 wks, but of course I'm stressing over the one almost a year out!

Hi! I'm not sure were to begin, but I really feel like this board could help me.

In feb 2014, we went (for the first time in almost 30 yrs)for 5 nights & stayed at POR. Loved POR, but thinking of a change. In talking to my sis & BIL, I thought that access to MK was a priority. However, he is suggesting things that don't have anything but bus access.

Our options:
AKL Studio (dvc point rental would let us add a full day for less than we paid last year.)

Beach Club (Stormalong Bay looks appealing, but it will be the 1st week of Feb)

Wilderness Lodge (I feel it is a strong contender)

Poly (which is my dream, but dependent on price/discount.)

I just want a place to tentatively plan on. It's making me batty.

Our Group:
My parents (67-70ish)
My Aunt (60)
My DH & kids(DDs will be 5 & 8)
My Sis, BIL & DNiece (will be 3)

What do you suggest? We need 4 rooms. Do not really wan to share...

Thank you all so much! We are going to AL for spring break in 2 wks, but of course I'm stressing over the one almost a year out!

Unless you can get a good deal on the Poly, I would do the WL. We are going the last week of January next year and we were able to rent points to stay at The Villas at the GF for 4 nights for only $1,136 for a standard studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter