• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

As if my life couldn't get more complicated~!

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
Last week I had a gallbladder attack which lasted over 24 hours. Being the nurse that I am,:rolleyes: I waited until just about the last minute to go to the ER because I thought I could "will" myself through the pain. When i finally thought I was going to just simply lay there and DIE before morning, i had my hubby drive me to the ER where they blessedly loaded me with Zofran and Morphine (You know, if someone I loved did this, I'd be reading them the riot act!) I actually got better by the morning, so they took me off the surgery schedule and sent me to see my own doctor *which was fine with me, my symptoms were better and I really canNOT just have surgery on a Tuesday with no preparation.*

So I saw a surgeon yesterday and you guessed it, surgery is in my future. He wanted to do it today, but as I said, my life is complicated and unless I am literally dying in the ER I canNOT just have surgery on the spur of the moment. So we agreed to do laparoscopic gallbladder surgery May 17. My surgeon wasn't too happy, and of course I'm hoping that I don't get a revisit of the gallbladder attack before then. Obviously, if that happens i will be RACING to the ER--I don't ever want to experience that kind of pain again!

If you've had gallbladder surgery, tell me about it. I know the ins & outs but I dont' know it from a patient's point of view. I'm hoping to go back to work by post-op day 5, but I'm not sure if that is reasonable or not. This is not a great time of year for me, with the end of school coming up (I'm the school nurse.I simply cannot be absent unless i am at death's door!)

I had my gallbladder taken out when my DS was 2 weeks old. I didn't realize it at the time, but I had been feeling bad and having symptoms long before that. Due to liver concerns I had to spend two nights in the hospital. By the the time I was released I felt so much better than before that the discomfort of surgery seemed minor. That being said, I did find that wearing anything with a waist band was uncomfortable for several weeks. I have had several co-workers(teachers) return to work after 1 week with the main issues being clothing discomfort and not being able to carry anything heavy.

I had mine out years ago. I had a lot of pain in my shoulders, they said it was from the gas they pump you with.

You will be fine. 10 days later - it's all over, and you're feeling good as new.

Keep everything in perspective. No offense, but - I'll have my gallbladder out for you if you'll have my neurosurgery for me on the 24th!

Really - you'll be fine! :goodvibes

I did it about 10 years ago. Should have done it sooner as I had the attacks for almost 2 years before I gave in.

I was off work for a week. It was done via laproscope so minimal scars and the related pain. Overall the pain lasted the first 5 days (Percocets are your friend) or so and the just fatigue and anesthesia hangover for a couple more. Just take it easy. I was 45 y.o. at the time.

In all honesty I am sure it depends on the pt. I had mine out and my DH left me to go tto another state to look for houees with 2 young kids at home. Yes I was in pain but I didnt take any pills either. But on the other hand a friend of mine had hers out and she was laid up for a bit. Mostly due to the anestia though. Good luck and heres to no pain.

I had a surprise GB surgery over Christmas 2009. I was in a LOT of pain the next day but it got so much better after that.

The big relief was no more gallblatter pain! WHOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, I didn't like lifting things for about a week or two after the surgery. I just didn't feel like I could so I didn't.

I would have been able to go back to work on day 5 post op but that would have been a weekend. I went back on day 7 and I was good to go.

My most uncomfortable feeling was the day of the surgery. It was in the early AM and by the afternoon, I was better. Better enough to know that I had to pee really, really a WHOLE lot and I couldn't get the nurse to come and help me. I'd bribe the nurses with food or candy if I could if I were you. I was hooked up to the IV and couldn't bend over to unhook it so I could go to the restroom. I thought I was going to die.

I had mine out when my son was 2 months old and had no help with him so I'm sure I was in a little more pain than someone that had help with a newborn. Even still, I went back to work on Monday and had the surgery on a Thursday. I sat at a desk though. I'd say you would be ok, work wise. Good Luck on no attacks before then!

Had mine out in 2008 near Christmas. Just be careful not to overdo it...your outsides will feel pretty good pretty quickly, but your insides will still be healing.

I just had mine out two weeks ago today. Mine was laproscopic, but with a robot. I remember making it to the OR, and then waking up in a ton of pain afterwards. I was in a lot of pain for about 3 days, and then it slowly started to feel better. My surgeon said it depends on the person when they are ready to go back to work. There is no way I would have been ready at 5 days. I go back Monday after 2 full weeks off, and am not 100% sure I am ready. 2 of my 4 incisions rub against pants, so are uncomfortable, and the other 2 both had issues with the adhesive from the steri strips. The one looks like a huge hive and both are really itchy. I am also still not totally adjusted to "my new digestion" track. When I have to go to the bathroom now, it is NOW (sorry TMI - no one warned me on that one). But I am going to make it work.

2 other thoughts, my doc gave me 2 restrictions - no lifting more than 10 pounds and only exercise allowed was walking. If your job is not too labor intensive, you will be ok. Mine causes a lot of stress, so I could not go back right away or I probably would slow my healing.

Good luck with the surgery. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Kristin

I had 3 senior family members all have theirs out in Jan/Feb this year. (I know you're not a senior!)

DSF82 had a severe attack like you, then surgery was put off like yours for about ten days. His was laproscopic, and although he was home within 3-4 days, he was weak and tired for a total of two weeks, and his digestive system really wasn't "right" for another month afterwards (couldn't be more than a short walk from a bathroom, TMI, sorry...). His surgeon said that wasn't abnormal.

DF62 went into hospital with severe fever/infection, and was in ER 3 days before having surgery. Ended up having to do full incision, and he was in the hospital for another five days. Very weak and healing at home for another two weeks after that. Has other longterm conditions, so was not surprised that he didn't feel himself for another month. He had some issues getting his digestion back to normal, but nowhere close to as bad as DSF.

DA85 had it laproscopic, home in two days, back to light normal stuff inside of a week. She's the toughest old broad I know:laughing:. She still needed to be able to stop and rest when her body told her to.

So everyone is different, but if I were you I would definitely plan on taking as much time as it takes to heal up properly. Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Good luck!

Terri

You will be fine. 10 days later - it's all over, and you're feeling good as new.

Keep everything in perspective. No offense, but - I'll have my gallbladder out for you if you'll have my neurosurgery for me on the 24th!

Really - you'll be fine! :goodvibes

:goodvibes Oh, no, I think I'll take gallbladder surgery over neurosurgery. Thanks for the offer, though! I hope your surgery goes well. My husband had a brain biopsy several years ago and it wasn't a walk in the park. Not as bad as it could have been, but it was pretty uncomfortable for him.

I had mine out when my son was 2 months old and had no help with him so I'm sure I was in a little more pain than someone that had help with a newborn. Even still, I went back to work on Monday and had the surgery on a Thursday. I sat at a desk though. I'd say you would be ok, work wise. Good Luck on no attacks before then!

Most of my work is done sitting down. I'm a school nurse in a very small elementary school, so most of my kids are short. ;) I'm hoping that I can at least go in for a few hours, to take care of my kids with diabetes and asthma. It always scares the front office when there is no nurse to care for those children, in particular. (And frankly, I dont' blame them!)

I just had mine out two weeks ago today. Mine was laproscopic, but with a robot. I remember making it to the OR, and then waking up in a ton of pain afterwards. I was in a lot of pain for about 3 days, and then it slowly started to feel better. My surgeon said it depends on the person when they are ready to go back to work. There is no way I would have been ready at 5 days. I go back Monday after 2 full weeks off, and am not 100% sure I am ready. 2 of my 4 incisions rub against pants, so are uncomfortable, and the other 2 both had issues with the adhesive from the steri strips. The one looks like a huge hive and both are really itchy. I am also still not totally adjusted to "my new digestion" track. When I have to go to the bathroom now, it is NOW (sorry TMI - no one warned me on that one). But I am going to make it work.

2 other thoughts, my doc gave me 2 restrictions - no lifting more than 10 pounds and only exercise allowed was walking. If your job is not too labor intensive, you will be ok. Mine causes a lot of stress, so I could not go back right away or I probably would slow my healing.

Good luck with the surgery. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Kristin

Good tips! I will look for a couple cotton dresses that I might be able to wear during those first post-op days. I usually wear scrubs, but I can see how that would be uncomfortable.

I'll be aware of the bathroom issues. I've already had some experience with that and my doctor says I will very likely experience some chronic diarrhea for awhile. :( Not looking forward to that, but I'd rather have diarrhea than risk something worse(like peritonitis or gangrene!) if I don't have the surgery.

My 69 year old MIL had her gallbaldder taken out yesterday morning. She had some discomfort trying to sleep last night and finally took a vicodin. She said her shoulder hurt and she thought it was from the excess air still inside. Today she is feeling great and already so bored just resting. She mentioned wanting to move some stuff out of her crawl space. :scared1: Of course we strongly discouraged her but she didn't listen. I just talked to her and she did a load of laundry and is not feeling not so good. Her discharge papers said she cannot lift anything heavier than 15 lbs for 3 weeks.

I would suggest taking it easy even if you feel good after your surgery.

Good luck. :)

I did it about 10 years ago. Should have done it sooner as I had the attacks for almost 2 years before I gave in.

I was off work for a week. It was done via laproscope so minimal scars and the related pain. Overall the pain lasted the first 5 days (Percocets are your friend) or so and the just fatigue and anesthesia hangover for a couple more. Just take it easy. I was 45 y.o. at the time.

This is my experience -- I had it done on Thursday, had planned to be back to work on Monday, but couldn't do it. Was back to work Thursday.

Take the drugs they offer. I didn't have that much gas (they pump it into your abdomen to give them space to work) or pain per se, but just felt "bad." Take the time you need to rest and recover.

My attack to bring me to the hospital was so bad the ER thought I was having a heart attack (BP 70/40). It was about a month after that I had the surgery (the dr wanted to make sure it wasn't a cardiology issue) -- I did have a couple of additional attacks, but knowing what it was and knowing the surgery was scheduled, I was able to deal with it.

I can't believe it took me so long to have it done -- was having troubles on and off for a number of years. Was 39 or so when I had it done.

It's never a good time -- best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

Just think of all the broccoli & brussels sprouts you can eat without pain! :thumbsup2

And - the new necklace you can make from your gallstones. :goodvibes

Do you think anyone has really ever worn jewelry made from gallstones??? :confused3

Do you think anyone has really ever worn jewelry made from gallstones??? :confused3

Ewww....it's right up there with earwax to me. But, googling:

gallstone-parure.jpg

I had mine out last January. I had really no incision pain, but the gas bubble underneath my shoulder blade was MISERABLE! It really surprised me. Stay on top of the pain and don't wait until it gets too bad before taking a pain pill, especially the first couple of days. I was trying to be all brave and let myself get to where it took awhile for pain pills to take the edge off.

The chronic diarrhea can be a huge issue long after surgery, and I still struggle with it when I eat fatty foods. Calcium D tablets and fiber caplets have helped greatly, but they do have a prescription med you can take if it doesn't regulate itself.

Just think of all the broccoli & brussels sprouts you can eat without pain! :thumbsup2

I just want to eat a steak without feeling like i'm taking my life in my hands. What I wouldn't give for a good NY strip! But I'm afraid it will put me over the edge. So I'm sticking with more carby, low fat foods---rice, oatmeal, plain pasta, potatoes, salads, vegetables. Meat seems to give me the most trouble, so I've been limiting that somewhat. And milk. Milk doesn't seem to go down well.

I don't plan to ask for my gallstones. Some things i just don't want to know about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter