AS compared to POFQ

Tinkerbells2000

Disney Mom of 4
We are all booked and paid for the ASMO in Sept. However, with what we saved in money with the Food plan being free, we could upgrade and stay at POFQ. We are a family of 6, Me, DH,DD (11), DD (9), DS (7), and DD (6) and will have to get 2 rooms wherever we go. My question is , is it worth it? We have never stayed at the AS before, and I think my kids would really like it. But, for the most part, we are also used to the Contemporary Tower. What are the pro's of staying at a moderate as opposed to a value? DH and I are just really torn. We could also use that money we saved as spending money insead of upgrading. HELP!!!

We have stayed at ASMO, Pop and POR. We were supposed to stay iat Pop again in December but I just switched it to POFQ. While I really loved the values and would stay at them again, for my family the moderate did really make a difference. I think this is one of those issues that means a million different things to a million different people! Some of the reasons we preferred the moderate resort were, double sinks in the bathroom and a privacy curtain; that was really nice when we were getting ready. POR did not feel as crowded as ASMO and Pop did. Both times we stayed at a value it was off season and the resorts just seemed packed. POR was so much quieter. Food courts (noticed this especially at Pop) were always crowded. POR was 98% sold out when we were there in late April but you would have never known it. The covered bus stop we used was never crowded, there was always towels at the swimming pool (no towels at value pools but mousekeeping will bring you replinshments), never found the food court to be crowded. Bus stops were very crowded because they only have one. You just stand in a hot, sunny or rainy line to get the bus. Nicer pool area with a slide. We enjoyed having some fun activities at Port Orleans. We rented a surrey bike, spent a lot of time at the pool and enjoyed taking the boat over to DTD. We found ourselves content to spend a lot of time at the resort. Now don't get me wrong, we loved the values too! But I was surprised when my kids asked if we could stay at POR or POFQ in December when I had booked Pop already. They absolutely loved Pop in January and I thought that they would prefer all of that fun theming at Pop. They chose POFQ, maybe they better save their allowances and pay for it! One thing I did not notice as being all that different was room size. I didn't find the room to be that much bigger at POR but it was decorated nicer. It just had a whole different feel to it. Since you are getting two rooms anyway room size probably won't seem that big of a deal to you. Either way you probably cannot go wrong. I know that when I was debating this issue and posted a similar question awhile back I got about 50/50 response. People felt very strongly one way or the other however when they listed their reasons.

For our family the big differences are the pools (the moderates have slides) and the room refrigerator.

Personally- I'd probably stay at ASMo and use the extra money for fun. I loved POFQ when we went, but it was just dh and myself that trip. In fact I'm going back again, but not with my kids that trip either! I don't think my kids would have appreciated it. It's definitely quieter than an All-Star, so if that matters maybe switch. The pool is fun and has a slide, so that might make a difference for you as well (my kids aren't big swimmers).

Okay, we did it, we just switched. It's actually a little less still (by $100) with switching it. I am so excited. Amy&Dan, you had great points. Thanks for helping me figure this out!!!!! I really like the idea of fridge's in the room, especially for my kids that like to have cold water before bed and during the night.

I absolutely loved POFQ!!! It was quiet, beautiful and charming!! However, my teens didn't like it. They much preferred the social aspect of other teens at the All-Stars. The arcade is larger, and there are more playgrounds at All-Stars.

There seemed to be little kids and adults at POFQ. All-Stars has more teens and tweens there.

Carol

Tinkerbells2000 said:
Okay, we did it, we just switched. It's actually a little less still (by $100) with switching it. I am so excited. Amy&Dan, you had great points. Thanks for helping me figure this out!!!!! I really like the idea of fridge's in the room, especially for my kids that like to have cold water before bed and during the night.

Oh no, now I'm nervous, if you don't like it, don't hate me! Of course right after I posted this I read the "I won't be returning to POR" thread. If you read that one, know that we have had equally great mousekeeping at all the resorts. Most of the posts I read love POR/POFQ. I am sure you will love it! I had forgotten to mention the fridges, hard to believe since we loved having one for our water bottles. Incidentally, the reason we are doing POFQ in December as opposed to POR is simply the King Triton slide and the smaller resort. Plus we are trying to stay at them all while our kids are still young. Have a really great trip!

I won't hate you..LOL!! Actually we have been looking at pictures of the POR, and just love the way it looks. We talked to the kids about it too, and they liked the idea of a fridge. We're pretty easy going people, and it takes a lot to get us dissapointed, so I am not worried. Thanks again for the opinions.

Depending on what time in December, you could be there the same time as Pop Warner crowd. They mob the values and some even trickle over to the moderates. I would think POFQ would have the least appeal to them, so would be a safe choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter