• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

As an ebay buyer, should I file a ebay/Paypal complaint

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
I paid with Paypal for a winning auction on 2/2/04. I included 8. for shipping and 2. insurance with my payment for 6 playstation games. The seller has 98.6% positive feedback (total 141) but has not answered any of the 3-4 emails I sent. I also got the seller's contact info from ebay and the phone # listed is disconnected. I sent a report to ebay saying I could not contact the seller and had not received my items. Now I am wondering if I should file a Paypal claim. I know it has only been a little over two weeks since I paid, but I believe you only have 30 days to file a complaint. Auction end was 1/29, and there are no current auctions listed for him/her. When I search for all other auctions completed within 30 days, only mine appears. I would'nt be so quick to file a complaint if I had any way to contact the seller. Any advice?

I would file with paypal to protect yourself.

Last year I bought something on ebay from a person who decided to cheat a bunch of us. She took my money and didn't give me my merchandise. I've been on ebay for 6 years, and never had a problem until then.

When I filed with paypal a few weeks after I paid, it took paypal almost a month to get back to me. The seller only accepted payments from existing paypal funds or from your checking account. Credit card paypal payments weren't accepted. I paid with my exisiting balance.

Turns out that by the time Paypal "investigated" the person withdrew or spent my money. Therefore, Paypal couldn't give me a refund.

Had I have used a credit card with paypal I would have filed a dispute with my credit card company and most likely got my money back, but not with existing paypal funds.

Now they offered some type of protection, I think. You pay Paypal a fee. If you don't get your item you can get your money back. I've never tried that.

After that seller stole from me I didn't use Paypal for a long, long time.

I hope everything works out for you.

::MinnieMo

I paid with Paypal for a winning auction on 2/2/04

No way would I file a complaint yet. Even if they mailed the games on the 3rd its only been 2 weeks(10 business days). Games can be mailed Media Mail and it alone can take a few weeks. Possibly they've just moved and changed their phone number or dropped their old home phone in exchange for a cell phone.

I would also wait another week. I just had a bad experience myself and had to file a complaint with Paypal and Ebay. I sent payment immediatley after the auctions end. I emailed her 3 times asking when the items would be sent. No replies. After 3 weeks I reported her to paypal. Within 3 days I had a refund in my account. I did leave her negative feedback along with 2 other people, she had not sent items out to. I hate being a meanie, but sometimes you have to. Just wait 1 more week, like the above poster said, they could have sent it via media mail. Cheaper, and takes forever! Paypal gives you 30 days to file a complaint.
Good Luck!

I'm sorry about this but, my daughter was logged on for the above reply to your post. I just didn't want you to think a 15yr old was respnding to your post.
Good Luck!
:blush:

File a complaint ASAP.... Paypal redeposited my money within a week the 2 times that I was scammed! It was awesome to get my scammed money back, especially at Christmas time!

If you paid $8.00 for shipping you should have had Priority Mail, not Media Mail.

I would suggest filing the claims immediately, especially since the contact phone line is diisconnected.

Having been on using ebay for about 5+ years, I would wait another week or so. Having been in the same situtation many times myself, as a buyer/seller, sometimes shipments are delayed somewhat (its only been a little over 10 business days). I know it can be an uneasy feeling, not knowing what's going on after you've paid, but paypal offers you money back guarantee (up to $500) if you file your complaint within 30 days of making your paypal payment. Remember once you leave negative feedback, it cannot be retracted; it would be unfortunate if you left negative feedback within a short period of time, and then moments later the package is at your front door. I would wait until around the 25th/26th, and if no package, then contact paypal for reimbursement. Then you can leave the appropriate feedback.

I hope you have better luck with paypal in filing a complaint. I was scammed and filed a complaint with ebay who in turn give you suggestions on how to resolve the problem. They suggest you try square trade which tries to encourage you to hire a mediator for $20. The price of my item was $29 so I was going to spend another $20 to try and resolve the problem!!! I contacted the seller several times and told him if I didn't receive the item in 1 wk (it has been a month) I was going to the police. Next day I received my merchandise. Ebay never inquired as to what happened. They don't do a good job of helping the victims!Good Luck!

Not to rain on your parade but I doubt the police would have done anything.
Sadly to say there isn't much you can do when you get stung via ebay.

Ebay is a sell/buy at your own risk place.
You could in the future only buy from people who accept credit cards via paypal.
Personally I don't accept credit cards via paypal when I sell because they charge crazy fees.. But many people do so I am sure you can find what your looking for from people who do take them.

You could also buy insurance with paypal.

As for the OP:
Since their feedback is so high like you said it could just be a case of a misunderstanding.
Perhaps the seller has a personal problem right now and has been unable to get to the computer.. Things happen.
I'd wait it out another week to see.

Good luck

I would wait another week also. We bought a VCR for $100. DH sent the $$$ right after the auction ended. Seller said that he would have the item out on Monday (auction ended on Saturday). It was supposed to come Priority Mail. It was only coming from Baltimore so it should have only taken 1 or 2 days max. Four days passed and we never got the VCR. DH sent e-mail after e-mail and got no response from the seller. We had all but given up when the seller finally contacted us 10 days after auction ended. He said that he was sorry, but he had a death in the family and had to go out of town. It may have been an excuse or it may have been the truth, but it was a good thing DH didn't leave negative feedback or he would have been sorry. Feedback is the only thing we Ebayers have to go on to prove that we are trustworthy so it means a ton when you get either positive or negative feedback.

I know that you paid $8 for shipping (a lot for 6 games), but how were the items supposed to be shipped? Where were they being shipped from and to? Take these things into consideration also before you decide to make a claim.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by frannn
I paid with Paypal for a winning auction on 2/2/04. I included 8. for shipping and 2. insurance with my payment for 6 playstation games. The seller has 98.6% positive feedback (total 141) but has not answered any of the 3-4 emails I sent. I also got the seller's contact info from ebay and the phone # listed is disconnected. I sent a report to ebay saying I could not contact the seller and had not received my items. Now I am wondering if I should file a Paypal claim. I know it has only been a little over two weeks since I paid, but I believe you only have 30 days to file a complaint. Auction end was 1/29, and there are no current auctions listed for him/her. When I search for all other auctions completed within 30 days, only mine appears. I would'nt be so quick to file a complaint if I had any way to contact the seller. Any advice?
I haven't used PayPal in a while, but isn't there a feature to see if they seller has taken your payment?

I used to sell stuff on auction and bought alot of stuff. The last time I bought something, October 26, 2003, I heard nothing after a month. I emailed the seller and got the response, "Disney has been out of these." Yes, it was a Disney item and I had no idea the sellers did not have to have the merchandise in their posession. They can actually get your money and then go out looking for the item. I was told when I filed a complaint that they do not have to have the item but can have a reasonable time to get the item. I waited and waited, finally agreeing for ANYTHING similiar. I finally got something I did not want the end of January. Luckily, it was a low cost item. It turned me off.
I sold for awhile with no problems until people who changed their minds, or it just was not what they thought, started emailing me. I sold an ornament that was over 20 years old and stated such. The buyer wanted her money back because it was not mint. I gave up because it was not worth the hassel.

I would file a complaint for a few reasons.

First, you have tried several methods of contacting the seller and all have been unsuccessful. I would be especially wary of the disconnected phone.

You are right, Paypal only gives you thirty days to file a complaint. One minute after that thirty days and they don't know who you are. Don't risk "forgetting" until it was too late.

Filing a complaint is not the same as leaving negative feedback. It does not appear in the sellers feedback column.

The one time I was scammed, I filed all the complaints as soon as it looked 90% sure that it was a bad seller. Paypal refunded my payment immediately. I waited for contact from the seller to explain things before I left the negative feedback. You can leave feedback up to six months later (I think)

Good luck!

Once I had a delay, and it turned out the seller was in the hospital with a serious medical emergency. I am NOT saying that is what happened here, but you never know....... I would wait a little longer, but I understand your anxiety.

Fran......did you ever get your items?

You can leave feedback up to six months later (I think

You can leave feedback anytime. There isn't a time limit. As long as you have the item number as after a few weeks the actual auction listing won't be available to view.

Just make sure you don't wait too long. Doesn't Paypal have a limit to the time you can file a complaint. I bought something once and got the run around for 2 weeks, then nothing. The seller was gone! Couldn't even leave negative feedback because that was changed. She had 600 feedbacks and then recently 3 negatives in a row. Luckily, it was only $17.00 (so I wasn't over Paypal's limit anyway).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter