As a newbie, will I get the stink-eye if I take a veteran cruiser's "spot"?

Very interesting... thank you all for your replies.

From this thread, I'm getting the sense that:

- a small group of veteran cruisers do indeed feel that their level should entitle them to preferential treatment aboard ship (above and beyond what they receive, i.e. the ability to book early, etc).

- another group will claim that it doesn't matter, but will go to unnecessary lengths to make sure that everyone knows who they are (by conspicuous placement/wearing of lanyards at all times, etc). I suspect that this group would be horrified to be mistaken for the "common rabble", and do expect some sort of preferential treatment, even if they're not honest enough to admit it

- the majority genuinely don't care, may or may not 'flaunt' their lanyards (and will only do so for entirely practical reasons)and will do what they can to make sure everyone enjoys themselves

Should be an interesting trip...

Sounds like you are describing real life...

Personally, having been on 4 DCL trips, I have never noticed being excluded from anything.. at any time. I don't think you will notice anything, you will be too busy having a good time and enjoying the efforts of the DCL and the DCL CM's who are trying to assure you are having a good time. The people we have met and all the crew are very gracious.

Regarding the lanyard/pin thing... I know when it is my birthday I ALWAYS wear my pin... everywhere... I just like hearing "Happy Birthday" from strangers... I don't know why it makes me smile since I do hate getting older. I wear it for the entire cruise or trip. My husband laughs at me and says "Don't you ever get tired of wearing that damn pin?" :lmao: NOPE

We're WDW vets and first-time cruisers in August! I've been going to WDW and DL since childhood, so I've never had one of the "First Visit" buttons but I love to see those on kids (and adults!) at WDW and DL - so exciting!

We would love to identify ourselves as first-time cruisers and take any tips the vets are willing to offer us. I've read on these boards that DCL does not have "First Cruise" buttons, but can anyone refer us to a website or retailer that might sell something like this?

I'm generally wearing my DIS lanyards that our meets thread designs and makes for each cruise (well, the longer ones anyway).:thumbsup2 And those get plenty of attention too.

I know I will proudly wear my first Platinum lanyard (as I did my Gold), but pretty much only for that one cruise.

:rotfl2:Some of this is too funny! I certainly enjoyed reading!:rotfl2:

Have fun on your cruise/s no matter what color/level lanyard you're wearing or not wearing!

:thumbsup2

We have sailed on 4 previous disney cruises and I don't see why people shouldn't have some special something when they have sailed more than 10 times on a particular cruise line. Why is this so hard for others to agree on this? That level of commitment is special and it should be no surprise that it is treated as special by crew officers or otherwise. Just because someone is given a special hello or greet or whatever doesn't mean that someone who is on their first cruise loses anything (other then when they can book an excursion or be the first to book a cruise and of course the extra OBC/shop discount!!!).

Best.

The simple reason is that Disney Cruise Line states that there is no special on-board treatment based on your membership level. If Disney decides to change this and reward frequent cruisers with special on-board amenities and/or preferential treatment, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with this (provided that this was made clear to all). Currently though, this is not part of the contract I signed with them. I was told I'd be treated as an equal, so therefore I expect to be treated as an equal, regardless of whether or not someone feels that they are entitled to "more" based on their level.

There are no benefits. Lanyards are given to you as a Castaway Club member and are a convenient way to carry your room key and trade pins (if you are into that). :thumbsup2

Exactly. :thumbsup2

I rarely, if ever, wear mine. My ODD wears hers so she can keep up w/her stateroom key. My YDD wears hers if the mood strikes her and she might want to trade pins. My DH wears his on occasion if he doesn't have pockets for his stateroom key.

You have your opinion, others have theirs.....this board is a very welcoming place and yes, at times people differ with their views and then it is over and people move on to the next topic....sorry you feel differently and that your freedom of speech is being suppressed.

To the OP.....I can't speak for all the veteran cruisers onboard but when I see a person looking lost onboard or I know of a hint or some other bit of insider info (from experience) that may help them....I always approach them and offer assistance....and it is not done in the spirit of "Oh...I am better than you because I have cruised more"...it is done in the spirit of helping someone enjoy their cruise to the fullest. No one has reserved spots onboard and everyone is entitled to sit at any table they want (that they are assigned to the dining room) and you won't be getting any stink eyes from anyone!!!! Go and enjoy.

I also don't understand the hang up people have with other people wearing their gold or platinum level lanyards.....why not? You earned them, wear them. Should people NOT wear them for fear of upsetting a person who is a first timer or a silver level....it makes no sense.

I have cruised DCL 22 times and have been loyal to DCL since day one of their sailings (was on the MV of the Magic back in 1998). I cruise often because I love DCL not to feel superior to someone who has cruised less. If people who have cruised less feel that I wear my lanyard to spite them or show superiority it is their problem, not mine. If DCL wants to reward me as a loyal guest with additional perks great!

Castaway Club Benefits
We want you, our valued Guests, to get the most out of each cruise experience. The Castaway Club is designed to recognize you each time you sail with exclusive benefits that increase the more you sail with us.

As soon as you complete your first cruise you automatically become a Silver Castaway member. With each additional Disney cruise you take, you'll progress toward becoming a Gold or Platinum Castaway member, and enjoy additional benefits once you've completed 5 and 10 cruises.

Check out the full details of all the great Castaway Club benefits.

As a member of the Castaway Club, you are one of our most valued Guests. You will enjoy the extras that come with Castaway Club membership — at home and on board! Take advantage of special online member benefits like My Cruises, your own personalized cruise tracking page, the Castaway Club Compass newsletter and timely reminders to help you plan your next unforgettable cruise.

If you have already booked an upcoming cruise with us, be sure to check out when you can start booking your onboard activities.

And don't forget to use your Castaway Club ID when booking your next cruise to make sure you don't miss out on all the great benefits of Castaway Club membership.

I really don't understand why people have an issue with lanyards. It is like you are prejudging someone. If someone is wearing a gold or platinum lanyard and acts like a buffoon or that they are elitest....chances are they are like that in all of life and not just because they or gold or platinum on DCL.....a first timer or silver can act the same way.

MJ
Well said:thumbsup2
I agree:goodvibes

I do agree as well, but in my experience, I have only seen 2 to 3 consistant "senior" posters who tend to use sarcasm and talk down to others who have a different opinion. But that is wrong and I do tend to ignore them and their petty comments which in my opinion, do not belong on this board.To have a different opinon is a good thing, but to talk down to others is just showing your own insecurity. As my parents taught me," treat others as I would like to be treated". I try to practice this on a daily basis.:cutie:

On the other hand, there have been many, many posters that have been so very helpful. It really is a pleasure chatting with them on the "Disboards".
:thumbsup2

I'll ask my question again: what is the benefit of wearing a lanyard on board? Does it entitle you to cheaper drinks or something?
Like many others I wear my lanyard to keep my KTTW card conveniently on hand. Even at dinner I will need it (the card) to charge wine or a specialty drink. If I feel like a drink at cove cafe I need it then as well. Let alone my impulse buys in the stores. Otherwise I have to carry the card in a purse or a pocket. If my outfit has a good pocket I will leave the lanyard in my room. It has absolutely never occurred to me to wear the lanyard to show off my status and I would never assume that others wore theirs for that reason unless they said soomething seriously to indicate that (I'm not talking about joking around BTW).

The simple reason is that Disney Cruise Line states that there is no special on-board treatment based on your membership level. If Disney decides to change this and reward frequent cruisers with special on-board amenities and/or preferential treatment, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with this (provided that this was made clear to all). Currently though, this is not part of the contract I signed with them. I was told I'd be treated as an equal, so therefore I expect to be treated as an equal, regardless of whether or not someone feels that they are entitled to "more" based on their level.

I have cruise twice. Once as a newbie and once as silver. My experience has been that when it comes to interaction with the crew, it is what you make of it. If you reach out and greet crew members, learn their names and ask about their lives, they will return the favor.

I never felt I was treated as less equal by the crew. I would not expect your "around the ship" experience to be any different than a platinum cruisers, except that the more crew members might know their names and histories! However Disney HAS chosen to award frequent cruisers with extra amenities. The platinums can book long before anyone else and are entitled to a free meal at Palo. That is all stated up front.

All that said, your cruise experience will be determined by your own attitude and what you chose to focus on. I have chosen not to worry about what other people do. I play by the rules and enjoy myself.

Whoa, Frank, you've kind of changed the topic here. :) To your original question, yes, SOME people will act entitled because that's the kind of people they are. The majority of repeat cruises love to help out and give tips to newbies.

To this comment: It is DCL who has chosen to reward and visually identify repeat cruiser so that they (CM and crew) can acknowledge them in whatever way they see fit. I don't see how a special "Welcome Back" comment to a repeat cruiser will belittle your cruise in any way. I don't see how my favorite head server, that I've cruise with many times before, sending a treat to my stateroom would impact your experience in any way.

There are instances during the cruise where people have experiences of "Pixie Dust", from surprise upgrades, to a child having a special meeting with their favorite character, to someone being able arrange for their 80 year old retired Navy dad to go to the bridge and blow the horn. You'll see lots of posts on this forum where people tell just these kinds of stories. Will this be every cruisers's experience....nope. And none of us should expect that kind of thing, that's what makes it so special when it happens.

We're WDW vets and first-time cruisers in August! I've been going to WDW and DL since childhood, so I've never had one of the "First Visit" buttons but I love to see those on kids (and adults!) at WDW and DL - so exciting!

We would love to identify ourselves as first-time cruisers and take any tips the vets are willing to offer us. I've read on these boards that DCL does not have "First Cruise" buttons, but can anyone refer us to a website or retailer that might sell something like this?

Welcome to the DCL board Pixarmom! To answer your question, that celebration buttons have not made it over to DCL. But feel free to self identify! You will not be alone! Although the DIS is populated with frequent cruisers, chances are your sailing will not be. I hope you have a great time.

And to BlackFriday, I haven't said it before but welcome to the boards. I hope you have a terrific trip.

I also think that how much someone decides to tip is a private matter and not subject to the approval of other cruisers. There is a recommended amount and it is up to you to adjust that how you see fit.

There is also a dress code that is not really enforced for the main dining rooms. Follow it or don't-I'll still have a great time on my cruise:confused3:goodvibes

Keeping your kids out of the adult areas is common courtesy...and I am not talking about the person that finds their family there by accident and quietly leaves as soon as they realize. I'm talking about making your best effort to keep your kids away from there so as not to disurb those craving a place away from kids:confused3

You aren't really reading my post and are choosing to pick apart responses and make an issue where really there is NONE. The only expected differences are the one's that are written in the Castaway Club.

Your experience around the ship as another poster has said, should not at all be diminished or affected by any private thing that happens with another traveling party if those things happen at all. This isn't some secret handshake society. I hope you are not trying to create a problem where there isn't one because it will only serve to distract you from having a great time and enjoying your fellow passengers.

Have a great cruise! (Wish I were going)

Whoa, Frank, you've kind of changed the topic here. :) To your original question, yes, SOME people will act entitled because that's the kind of people they are. The majority of repeat cruises love to help out and give tips to newbies.

To this comment: It is DCL who has chosen to reward and visually identify repeat cruiser so that they (CM and crew) can acknowledge them in whatever way they see fit. I don't see how a special "Welcome Back" comment to a repeat cruiser will belittle your cruise in any way. I don't see how my favorite head server, that I've cruise with many times before, sending a treat to my stateroom would impact your experience in any way.

There are instances during the cruise where people have experiences of "Pixie Dust", from surprise upgrades, to a child having a special meeting with their favorite character, to someone being able arrange for their 80 year old retired Navy dad to go to the bridge and blow the horn. You'll see lots of posts on this forum where people tell just these kinds of stories. Will this be every cruisers's experience....nope. And none of us should expect that kind of thing, that's what makes it so special when it happens.

Thanks. Your comments are well taken. I apologize for getting carried away on this topic. In actuality, I don't really care all that much how people behave. In every situation in life, there will be classy people, classless people, and classless people pretending to be classy. My motivation for the original question was to set expectations: I've found that the amount of enjoyment I get out out something depends on my expectations. I only want to know what to expect so I can go into this with realistic expectations. I think I have them now (at least with respect to *this* topic), and am looking forward to an enjoyable cruise.

Like many others I wear my lanyard to keep my KTTW card conveniently on hand. Even at dinner I will need it (the card) to charge wine or a specialty drink. If I feel like a drink at cove cafe I need it then as well. Let alone my impulse buys in the stores. Otherwise I have to carry the card in a purse or a pocket. If my outfit has a good pocket I will leave the lanyard in my room. It has absolutely never occurred to me to wear the lanyard to show off my status and I would never assume that others wore theirs for that reason unless they said soomething seriously to indicate that (I'm not talking about joking around BTW).

Same here. Wow, I didn't realize that some people thought I was somehow elitist or entitled because I wear my gold lanyard! I wear what DCL hands me at check in. :rotfl:Although, my DH wears the DVC lanyard we get at the member's meet because he finds DCL's to be scratchy!
We are another family that wears the lanyards everywhere. I rarely have pockets and don't carry a purse onboard. We have BTDT with losing our KTTW cards and don't want a repeat, so we wear the lanyards.

I don't see how my favorite head server, that I've cruise with many times before, sending a treat to my stateroom would impact your experience in any way.

Wait, you get treats????!!!!! Well, that impacts my cruise for sure. You better be sharing, or at least show pictures, Missy. Humpf, and here I thought I was getting the good treatment by having a neat room and a handsome waiter. Boy, just you wait till I see you are the Cove Cafe, I am going to sit it your chair! Ha!

Before all of you get up in arms, Jackie and I know each other pretty well and she knows I would never sit in her chair.

Wait, you get treats????!!!!! Well, that impacts my cruise for sure. You better be sharing, or at least show pictures, Missy. Humpf, and here I thought I was getting the good treatment by having a neat room and a handsome waiter. Boy, just you wait till I see you are the Cove Cafe, I am going to sit it your chair! Ha!

Before all of you get up in arms, Jackie and I know each other pretty well and she knows I would never sit in her chair.

:lmao::thumbsup2

And remember...the Fantasy isn't even finished being built yet. I've already emailed to select MY Deck 4 Lounge chair, as well as MY dining table complete with placards.

this IS a joke....BTW :rotfl2:

Hmmmm... interesting. I've found that when people use the "just joking" excuse, there's more to it than they'd like to admit...

Okay...now my serious post. I understand where BlackFrank is coming from. If you go to ANY place that people go repeatedly there always seems to be some people who feel they have certain spots reserved. I used to go to a Zumba class and if you stood in someone's "spot" you'd get that stink eye.

So I suppose it COULD happen on a cruise, but I doubt it is a common occurrence. It's more likely to be the sadly normal "people will be people" junk where someone will think THEY should get the front row just because.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter