Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge

MichelleWDWfan

DIS Veteran
Has anyone dined here recently?
What are your thoughts?
I haven't dined here yet and am considering it for my next trip in October.
Thanks in advance!

I haven't dined recently, but I dined early last year and it was out of this world amazing. It's pricey, but if you want to splurge for a really good meal, do it.

We dine here every year. The food is awesome and love the ambiance. Returning in a month and it is one of the restaurants I always look forward to.

Our Ratings of Artist Point: (*rev 6/17/2016*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: A
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: A
. . . seating comfort: A
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a
Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Steamed Mussels
. . . entree:.. Lamb Shank, Cedar Plank Salmon
. . . dessert:. Créme Brûlée
NOTE1: Artist Point has lately made several changes to revive the old quality of the food and service, and regained the reputation of the past. It has now replaced Monsieur Paul on our TS list, and we only eat at five TS eateries. If you eat there, get a window table. The view of courtyard and lake are romantic at sunset and after dark. In June-2015, Michael Gonsalves was appointed head chef at Artist Point. With his new menu ideas, it looks like AP is returning to its previous glory and stellar reputation. We DID enjoy the new selections and food prep. It is quickly becoming (possibly) the best Disney-Owned TS on property, next to V&A.
NOTE2: For a heavenly treat, do the highly prized Copper River Salmon which is available only during mid May to early-June, with a side of Mushroom Bisque. For dessert, we used to LOVE the Cobbler, but since the size and recipe change, it is not on our radar.

Tried it last year when staying at WL and have it booked for next month again..Thanks RustyScupper for the tip of asking for a window seat, didn't think there was much of a view..Cheers

We ate there the week of July 31st. We've stayed at the WL the past few years, and try and make it a point to dine there one night based on the convenience. The food and service is top notch. Given that our family of four is usually off in different directions, we view this as probably our one chance to all dine together, so for that reason alone we enjoy it. That being said, the prices are ridiculous. We live near the ocean in NY, and have fresh seafood 1x or 2x per week. Salmon is a family favorite (only wild, not farm raised), and generally it goes for about $19.99 per pound or thereabouts. Artist Point charges I think $51 for their entrée. While there last month my teenager ordered it, and while it was delicious, it was about 2” x 2” square; probably less than ¼ of a pound. So do the math; they charged about 10x the “retail” price per pound (not the “wholesale” price which would be a lot less). I appreciate that presentation is worth something, but that much? However, we’d eat there again.

Tried it last Christmas. We were looking for something new, as we do Narcoossee's pretty much every year. I've gotta be honest, I wasn't crazy about the menu. It certaily has that rustic appeal, with a lot of root vegetables. It rides the fine line of farm fresh and "healthy." I'm personally more of a steakhouse kinda guy, so I wasn't sure how much I'd like the menu.

On top of this, about a month or two before our trip, a popular food blog said their experience was less than stellar. We started questioning ourselves, but kept the ADR.

To start, the ambiance is pretty cool. It's a dark restaurant with a ton of windows. We were hoping to be seated with a water view. Instead we were seated near a wall. It certainly added some privacy, which was nice. It was dark, though. Albeit, we were up at 5am for our flight the day before and up for EMH at 6:30am that day, but I felt crazy tired. I think the lighting messed with me.

I always order a martini on Christmas and they made it perfect. We had to order the smokey portobello soup. I'd go back JUST for this soup. It's earthy and smokey and creamy... it has so many dimensions of flavor. Save a piece of bread for dipping - you won't be sorry.

For entrees I went with the buffalo strip. Buffalo is an incredibly lean meat and easy to overcook. It was cooked perfectly. It was paired with root vegetables: a carrot medley and other veggies. They were awesome. I really wasn't sure I'd like the root veggies but I think I liked them more than the meat itself!

For dessert my mom and I went with the seasonal offering, prepared specially for Christmas. My dad and sister got the cookies and milk and wouldn't stop raving about it.

I definitely recommend Artist Point. It was a fantastic meal, the service was great and we'd go back again if we weren't heading to Narcoossee's. Nothing unseats Narcoossee's for us, but AP came pretty close.

We have eaten there before and will be eating there again over Thanksgiving. I think I may have had my best salmon ever there! Really love the ambiance.

Go. We've been going to AP for over 10 years, and I will say that a few years ago they hit a rough patch when they experimented with an Asian fusion meets Campfire Grub kind of approach. We persevered through a few mediocre (with the occasional good experience) meals until they righted the ship with a new chef and revamped menu. Our last four visits over the last year 18-20 months have been superb. The ambiance is special, and though you might not get it, I suggest asking for a window table (if you have an early ADR it's a lot more likely). Service has been excellent of late, as well. Rusty's suggestions are very good, and I'd like to add mine, too.
Appetizer - Smoked mushroom bisque (the steamed mussels are also excellent)
Entree - The signature dishes are the salmon and the buffalo, and while either is a great choice, the lamb shank or cioppino are likewise superb
Dessert - Rusty is spot on with his comments on the berry cobbler (once the hallmark dessert); however, rather than the brulee I'd go for the warm, hand-made donuts with ligonberry jam and dark roast ganache--almost on par with the old berry cobbler treat.
Wines - Topnotch selection of Northwest (think Oregon and Washington) wines which pair extremely well with the dishes--the server or chef can suggest a great match. They also have a solid beer list, but I can't comment beyond that since I don't drink much of it.

Go! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter