Art of Animation Resort the Gateway to "NextGen" for WDW

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by k5jmh, May 30, 2012.

1. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

RFID Room keys, Xpass, RFID'ed Refillable mugs...Things that make you go "hmmmm"....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...of-animation-nextgen-20120530,0,6735269.story

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kermit116

kermit116 "Here you leave today and enter the world of yeste

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

4. alluna

alluna Earning My Ears

I always thought the wristbands at Great Wolf Lodge were pretty cool for this reason. Much less hassle. Thanks for posting!

5. WaDiWo

WaDiWo WDWFan!

cool, the keys sound like the Key to the World card on Disney Cruise Line. :)

6. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Interesting story. Has some typical broad-brush statements that aren't really true from the technical perspective, but still a good intro as to how this makes things easier.

7. disneyholic family

disneyholic family <font color=teal>Wayne always catches me<br><font

my reservation for october is in the single room buildings of art of animation..

i wonder if the place will be totally overrun with kids...
    no matter, i still want to check it out..

8. EastYorkDisneyFan

EastYorkDisneyFan DIS Veteran

If you think about it wearing one of those for a weekend is fine but would you want to wear it for a week or more? I really hope if they do go to wristbands they do let people chose to just have a regular key card if they would rather have them instead.

Also I think I remember from the Undercover Boss episode on Great Wolf loge that they get a lot of complaints about the wristbands.

9. PeterPan09

PeterPan09 <font color=royalblue>bury my iPod with me, on shu

The thing I like about the wristband idea is that it is very easy to see who belongs on property and who doesn't. If you've got a wristband, you're staying on property, you've paid for your room and you belong there or you're a day guest with someone who belongs there. If you're wandering about the resort and you don't have one, why? What are you doing there?

I know it can be annoying, but it is a great safety feature.

10. EastYorkDisneyFan

So what if you have a child who won't wear one do to various issues, or just someone in your party who just does not care to wear one of them? Maybe I might have some sensory issues of my own but there is no way on earth that Disney could get me to wear a plastic bracelet for more then a day. As for the safety issue thing, if they need to check if you are a resort guest they just do what any other hotel does and ask for your room key.

11. elyselynne

elyselynne Earning My Ears

Can't wait to see this in action in September!

12. TheTXTaylors5

TheTXTaylors5 He's the Mickey to my Minnie

That's exactly what it sounds like. So easy! :thumbsup2

13. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I didn't see anything in the original article that said WDW would be going to wrist bands. Even if they do, so what? Its not like a wrist band actually has to be worn on the wrist to work.

14. EastYorkDisneyFan

they only have those on the Dream and Fantasy. The Magic and Wonder still use the old school ones.

15. Princess_Au

Princess_Au Mouseketeer

Any idea on when the ride reservation system will be started?

16. lugnut33

lugnut33 DIS Veteran

That is a crazy amount of money. Wow, there must be some big things coming and those things have to save Disney a ton of money. There must be a way for Disney to use RFID to reduce personnel.

17. TSchauer83

TSchauer83 Earning My Ears

Interesting article. I like the rfid in the key card.

18. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

I doubt that you would use RFID to reduce personnel. RFID is a Data Collection and Authentication tool. I think you need to look back, starting with the with the ADR system and the Resort Reservation systems. These were, in part, the first steps in "Next-Gen." You have to keep all of your data in large relational databases. Look at the Disboards. The disboards is a pretty frontend GUI to a Relational Database. Your login in the key to the data. Your login dictates your privilege level and what data you can see. The database containes all the forums, sub-forums, threads, posts, user data, picture links, etc, etc... Now, your new RFID key card is a gateway to that information. That RFID now links to you during your stay! The RFID is now linked to your Disney.go.com account, your reservations, the guests on the reservation, your age, your AP, where you are in the parks, what ride you are on, what x-pass you have, what mode of transportation you take, what you have purchased in the parks... It is a treasure trove of information for Disney.

The next phase after the information gathering will be guest interaction. Imagine Mickey Mouse now knowing your name! Following the interaction piece will be the Guest Experience Customization based on the history Disney has gathered on you. It is very cool and scary.