Art Auctions at sea and Park West

What are some other artists that do Disney theme paintings? More specific, which ones have work that is available on the cruise? I just thought I'd try to do some homework before the cruise in case there is anything onboard that interests me.
Also, what kind of price ranges do they fall in?
I just love the Disboard! :love:

Michelle

What are some other artists that do Disney theme paintings? More specific, which ones have work that is available on the cruise? I just thought I'd try to do some homework before the cruise in case there is anything onboard that interests me.

Michelle

There will probably be some Peter Max work there. It starts at "extremely high" and goes higher...:goodvibes

I'm a newby at this but they did have TONS of Max there, I know that. They had a Kinkade and some animation work. I don't remember seeing any Britto that was mentioned earlier. Anyone else have any names? I have the Auciotns at Sea catalog but there are tons of names from old masters to more contemporary artists....Britto and Max both are featured. I'm glad this thread has opened such an informative dialog...both good and bad. :banana: Cindy

Michelle

You can go to their website

http://sales.parkwestgallery.com/Default.aspx

click on Art Collections, choose Selections from the Park West Collections

View titles by artist: Animation Art

This will give you alist of art available

Great point about looking at their website. keep in mind, just because they don't show it on the pre-auction or at the actual auction, doesn't mean they don't sell it. Agam is another artist that is pretty well known as well - but his pieces are pricey too, but they offer them. If you don't see what you want, ask them and they can show it on their laptops, or they may even have a sample in storage on the boat.

:sad1:
We were on the 7/22/06 Magic cruise and ended up buying 3 pieces of art from Park West at the auction. It really was quite fun that my whole family got into. DH REALLY wanted the "Mickey Policeman" by Willardson, being a cop himself, I fell in love with a Hua Chen that I thought "would go great in our living room". Then we got a Kincade for my sister to give to her at Christmas, since he is her favorite. DS, 19 at the time got a great pic of a scene of the Flat Iron building in NY, can't remember the artist. All our pieces came beautifully framed, well packed and fulfilled what we wanted. We liked them, bought them and find them pleasing to look at.

So this summer while onboard the Wonder, we bought another Hua Chen to go with "Yolanda" as I felt she was 'lonely':rotfl: I can't wait to get her!

I can also vouch that any time I called Park West, my call was handled very politely and professionally.

I hope he ended up buying that willardson piece...I've been looking for it for some time with no luck. :sad1:

As you can tell...I'm a big fan

I hope he ended up buying that willardson piece...I've been looking for it for some time with no luck. :sad1:

We love our Willardson, always brings a smile when we look at it. On our last crusie there a a Willardson orignal, Flower from Bambi. It was fantastic!! and not to bad a price considering it is an original.

Michelle

We have seen prices from about $150 to $75K. They also have several sports memorabilia, like Mohamad Ali signed gloves with the Olympic tickets (where he won the gold medal) in a frame or Thiesman autographed football.

Michelle

Salvador Dali teamed up with Walt Disney and did some pieces that were for sale on both the Magic and Wonder this summer. Very nice, but I'm sure they were pretty spendy too.

We've bought from Park West before (3 pieces or so) and never had a problem. My opinion on the auctions is: go if you want to, stay away of you don't...you're not obliged to take part.

I will stress though that you should NEVER buy if you are doing so as an investment. Buy only if you like the piece and want to live with it. Most people do not have the experience and knowledge necessary to buy art for investment purposes and should not listen to the "auctioneer" when they play that card.

Yes he did, but we waited. There was to be a drawing for $500 towards a purchase and it was to be drawn on the second auction day. They knew my hubby really wanted it but wasn't willing to pay the asking price. And we'd already purchased the other 2 pieces. ODDLY enough my husband "won" the $500 drawing :cool1: and bought the piece. He absolutely loves it. We're moving to a new home next week and we can't wait to showcase it, we've talked extensively about where to put it. Found just the right spot.

Yes he did, but we waited. There was to be a drawing for $500 towards a purchase and it was to be drawn on the second auction day. They knew my hubby really wanted it but wasn't willing to pay the asking price. And we'd already purchased the other 2 pieces. ODDLY enough my husband "won" the $500 drawing :cool1: and bought the piece. He absolutely loves it. We're moving to a new home next week and we can't wait to showcase it, we've talked extensively about where to put it. Found just the right spot.

Enjoy it!!

We got in the mail the other day a tube with our five free pieces 'of art'. I guess lithographs...doubt they'll be framed. I did, however go to the web page and found animation art simular to what we bought but we paid 1/2 the web site price. Cindy

The Disney art pieces are not exclusive to DCL either. We cruised on Royal Caribbean last year and they all the same pieces of art on each cruise from Park West (Disney and others) and we saw them all again our DCL trips. Same old posters, same high prices!

Wow! Congratulations to you both...it's a great piece and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. On the other hand...if you ever get tired of it..be sure to send me a PM. ;)

We have purchased art fr0m many galleries thr0ugh0ut the years. We have als0 purchased at least $25,000 fr0m Park west and have had n0thing but g00d luck with them.

We have ab0ut $100,000 in art in 0ur h0me. The art that we purchased 0n the ships have g0ne up in value and we have had a different reputable dealer appraise them.

We recieved 0ur art withing 3 weeks 0f 0ur cruises n0t 8 like s0me have rep0rted. 0ne came damaged we sent it back at n0 charge and it came back repaired.

We are c0llect0rs 0f Fanch s0 we kn0w the c0st 0f his art and ask f0r a private viewing with the dealers bef0re we sail...we ask t0 view only Fanch at the time and didle with the price and purchase bef0re the aucti0ns...they usually 0nly have ab0ut 3 and 0nly 0ne 0f each.

Park west is 0ne 0f the largest art dealers ar0und and sell millions in art.
There are b0und t0 be s0me unhappy pe0ple, We are n0t 0ne 0f them.

We have a friend that has purchaesd $120,000 thr0ugh them and they have 0nly sent 3 paintings back. First 0ff when buying art be sure that y0u l0ve what y0u are buying d0nt purchase f0r pr0fit.

We are sailing again in the summer and plan 0n g0ing t0 the aucti0n...if n0t just because it is fun.

G00d luck and if y0u have any questi0ns feel free t0 PM me:thumbsup2

S0rry by the way my "0" key is busted;)

Please don't flame me, but we did attend the art auction(s) during our January '07 Eastern Cruise.

I had seen an adorable Pooh picture and DH wanted to entertain the idea of purchasing it for me so we went. We had not idea what to expect, no idea of prices, and just decided to go with an open mind.

During our cruise the auctions were all held in the bar down the hallway from Lumiere's, not in the main corridor. You were able to walk around and look at all the available pieces, talk to the young married couple who were the auctioneers (spelling?) and tag a piece with a sticky note if you wanted it go into the auction. If you liked a piece, you could ask what the prices were, ask what the minimum they would take for the piece, and basically agree to buy it right there before the auction.

DH decided that Pooh wasn't bright and cheerful enough, so he bought me a Tigger by the same artist (David Willardson). We agreed with the auctioneer before hand what the price would be and when it came time for our piece to go up, it went up, we bid and he closed the bid that quick. Woo Hoo! I was thrilled!

Later on in the cruise we went back 2 more times. The second time just to watch and look, the third time to buy 3 more pictures by the same artist (the Disney Fab 5) and then I was a bad girl and bought my DH a 9/11 tribute piece by Peter Max. We purchased 5 pieces all together and those 5 pieces cost as much as our cruise. Yikes! (That's why we have to wait to cruise again until Oct. 08!)

I must say that we are absolutely thrilled with all of the art we purchased! We bought it to use it in our home and all the pieces are very special to us. It took about 8 weeks or so to receive our purchases, and one had a dented frame. Park West arranged to have it picked up, re-framed it, and returned it to us with not problems.

The artwork appraised for about double what we paid Park West and we have since insured it all. It is valuable. When checking similar or identical pieces on E-bay or on other art websites, the price we paid Park West was very reasonable, but not inexpensive by any means. These are not pieces you will find in your neighborhood mall.

One man on our cruise paid more for art than we did for our first home! I'm not kidding! :scared1: Salvador Dali was a big seller on our cruise, so was Rembrandt-we didn't buy those! The Dali pieces were of a unreleased Dali/Walt Disney collaberation. Very interesting!

Bottom line is that we learned alot about certain artists, we purchased pieces that we love and have them hanging in our home, and we have been happy with the experience. And we didn't even try the free martinis! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter