• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arrival day plans?

dkr7166

Mouseketeer
What are some options for arrival day?

I'm flying into LGB on a Sunday and my flight is scheduled to land about 1 p.m./4 p.m. my time I'm staying by the convention center and am about 2 miles from Disneyland. I do not have tickets to anything that day. I'm thinking of going to Downtown Disney for dinner and to wander around a bit after I get to my hotel but I'm wondering if there are other ideas I might not be considering.

This is my first time in CA. I have a 3 day hopper for Disneyland and plan to do Knott's Berry Farm as well.

We have typically gone to Downtown Disney on arrival day after relaxing at the hotel as well. We did a reservation the first year, but there’s too much pressure to keep your plan when you do that. Plenty of good quick service options and you can typically do a wait list if you get there and want to try one of the table service places instead.

There’s lots of shops and things to do, plus you can head over to the hotels and explore those as well. Once you’re in the Disney area, everything is walkable. It’s also helpful to scope things out in daylight before heading to the parks early the next day

What are some options for arrival day?

I'm flying into LGB on a Sunday and my flight is scheduled to land about 1 p.m./4 p.m. my time I'm staying by the convention center and am about 2 miles from Disneyland. I do not have tickets to anything that day. I'm thinking of going to Downtown Disney for dinner and to wander around a bit after I get to my hotel but I'm wondering if there are other ideas I might not be considering.

This is my first time in CA. I have a 3 day hopper for Disneyland and plan to do Knott's Berry Farm as well.
Do you want to go to Disneyland or California Adventures on your first day? The difference in pricing from 3 to 4 days hoppers is only $20. Personally I would add on a day as there isn’t much to do in downtown Disney besides eat and shop at world of Disney. If you arrive at 1pm, you’ll have a half day in the parks.

We usually do Downtown Disney and the pool at our hotel. We like to eat at Naples because the food is excellent (best pizza at the resort).

If you wanted to do something fun outside of Disney you could consider going to Medieval Times.

Naples is actually the one I really want to try! I'm not too comfortable trying to make reservations for arrival day due to potential travel issues. I'm much more willing to take my chances on the walk up/wait list instead.

Do you want to go to Disneyland or California Adventures on your first day? The difference in pricing from 3 to 4 days hoppers is only $20. Personally I would add on a day as there isn’t much to do in downtown Disney besides eat and shop at world of Disney. If you arrive at 1pm, you’ll have a half day in the parks.

Good point and definitely something to think about. It would probably be more like 4 by the time I actually get to Disneyland with travel from the airport to hotel, check in, and the travel to DL.

We have typically gone to Downtown Disney on arrival day after relaxing at the hotel as well. We did a reservation the first year, but there’s too much pressure to keep your plan when you do that. Plenty of good quick service options and you can typically do a wait list if you get there and want to try one of the table service places instead.

There’s lots of shops and things to do, plus you can head over to the hotels and explore those as well. Once you’re in the Disney area, everything is walkable. It’s also helpful to scope things out in daylight before heading to the parks early the next day

Good point with learning the layout early! That could be very helpful. I also like the wander around the hotels suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

My brother and cousin went last year with their families. Brother and his family enjoyed the hotel water park and Door Dash their first night. My cousin and her family's flight landed 2 hours later than mine is scheduled, and they walked to dinner and went to bed. :D LOL neither of their ideas are terribly helpful!

Naples is actually the one I really want to try! I'm not too comfortable trying to make reservations for arrival day due to potential travel issues. I'm much more willing to take my chances on the walk up/wait list instead.
The last two times we went we didn’t have reservations for the same reason. The first time it was pretty busy and we had to wait around 20-30 minutes. The second time I actually tried to make reservations the day before and morning when we had a better idea of time and nothing was available. I thought it was going to be busy. But it was very empty and we were seated right away.

Personally I would add a day as suggested and enjoy a leisurely evening visit soaking up ambiance.

Also is there a reason you really want to do Knotts? I personally am not a fan of the Cedar Fair properties, esp as compared to disney. I would choose a visit to the beach over Knotts any day, if you are wanting a down day.

Besides walking through downtown disney, we like to walk around the Disneyland hotel grounds. The lobby has a great light up map and the other side of the wall has lots of vintage pictures of Walt Disney, the park, special guests, etc. Then we head over to the bar and quick serve for a dole whip with rum and a pu pu platter.

Will you have a car? If no, DTD might be one of the best options. DTD is nothing like DS, a lot less options. However, it sounds like you're from the east coast? So it's probably a good idea to take it easy on arrival day, turn in early and get a good night of beauty sleep before hitting the parks! If you do have a car, maybe drive down to Newport (20 mins), walk around Fashion Island and grab dinner.

We normally hit the parks on our first day, but for our next trip we are taking it easy and doing a non park day. Since we drive this will probably be better for my nerves...I'm usually looking at the clock obsessively the whole drive (about 6-7 hours lol) trying to estimate when we would get there. This time we are going to go bowling at Splitsville (I know it's over priced but we like bowling), do some shopping in DtD, get lunch (still TBD, but maybe Craftsman Grill at GCH), and then explore DLH until our room is ready. We haven't checked out the displays they have in the 2nd floor conference area, and I love the Fantasia gift shop too. We may or may not also just hang out in the outdoor area near Tangaroa and have a few drinks. For dinner we may try Tangaroa (fingers crossed Steakhouse 55 is back, if so we will do that) or venture back to DtD. Can't wait!

If it will be 4pm "your time" when you land, don't plan anything too crazy. Walking around DtD is perfect. It's very lively and a fun vibe. The music loop right now for the 100th is fantastic!

Naples is amazing. If you want the pizza without all the fuss, there is always the counter service Napolini. Personalized pizzas made in like 3 minutes. It's just as good as the pizza at the restaurant but at half the cost. Although the restaurant really is great.

I'd also definitely check out the hotels. They are worth a visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter