Arrival Day Plans-please help!

Jntt301

Mouseketeer
Taking my daughter in January for her 13th birthday- just the two of us. Our flight arrives at 1pm. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We have a reservation for Hoop Dee Doo at 6:15 that evening. Do you think we can leave Hoop Dee Doo at the end and make it to Epcot in time for a 8:00-9:00 Test Track fast pass or is that crazy? Reason is we will only have one day at Epcot and want to ride Test Track, Soarin and Frozen. Thought this might be a way to knock one out...Also, what's the best way to travel from place to place in this scenario? Thanks!

Taking my daughter in January for her 13th birthday- just the two of us. Our flight arrives at 1pm. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We have a reservation for Hoop Dee Doo at 6:15 that evening. Do you think we can leave Hoop Dee Doo at the end and make it to Epcot in time for a 8:00-9:00 Test Track fast pass or is that crazy? Reason is we will only have one day at Epcot and want to ride Test Track, Soarin and Frozen. Thought this might be a way to knock one out...Also, what's the best way to travel from place to place in this scenario? Thanks!
I'm thinking that no, it won't be possible to make it to Epcot before 9:00. Well, maybe possible but I think it would really be pushing it. If you were at any other meal I'd suggest taking Uber/Lyft from the resort to Epcot but from HDDR, not sure that is helpful since you have to get to where a car can pick you up first.
Do you have to do HDDR on arrival day? What would you do if your flight got delayed (significant possibility in Jan)?

It might be too tight to make it. When in January will you be there? I ask because the crowd levels are usually pretty low in mid-January (maybe with the exception of MLK weekend). With lower crowds you might really be able to do all 3 rides at Epcot. That's what we're attempting anyway, and we're going the weekend of January 19th. We got a FP for FEA, and we'll do Test Track and Soarin' just after rope drop. Touring Plans have predicted pretty low crowd levels for Epcot that day, and we're not expecting to spend too much time in the lines in that first hour in the park. Granted, if you could knock one out earlier, than it's even easier, but I don't know how realistic it will be for you to get from FW after HDDR to Epcot in time for that FP window. Good luck and I hope you guys have an amazing trip!

Last edited:
It might be too tight to make it. When in January will you be there? I ask because the crowd levels are usually pretty low in mid-January (maybe with the exception of MLK weekend). With lower crowds you might really be able to do all 3 rides at Epcot. That's what we're attempting anyway, and we're going the weekend of January 19th. We got a FP for FEA, and we'll do Test Track and Soarin' just after rope drop. Touring Plans have predicted pretty low crowd levels for Epcot that day, and we're not expecting to spend too long in the lines in that first hour in the park. Granted, if you could knock one out earlier, than it's even easier, but I don't know how realistic it will be for you to get from FW after HDDR to Epcot in time for that FP window. Good luck and I hope you guys have an amazing trip!
We didn't have any problems doing this even with Black Friday crowds. Got to Epcot well before Rope Drop, got in the Breakfast turnstile line as soon as they allowed (the other lines were all really long already). The courtyard got so full they ended up letting us scan in earlier than usual but held us at the internal ropes till 9:00. We went straight to TT, rode it, then to Soarin, rode it (both stand by) without really long lines. Had our FEA FP for later in the day.

We plan on being at Epcot on the 25th. Crowd level looks really low so hopefully it won't be an issue. We have never been rope drop people. Just can't seem to get moving early enough but maybe since it's just the 2 of us. I have a FP for Frozen and will wait for the other two. I could switch Hoop Dee Doo to our Animal Kingdom day but I'm hoping that Rivers of Light will be running and the 8:30 Hoop Dee Doo is a bit late...

We plan on being at Epcot on the 25th. Crowd level looks really low so hopefully it won't be an issue. We have never been rope drop people. Just can't seem to get moving early enough but maybe since it's just the 2 of us. I have a FP for Frozen and will wait for the other two. I could switch Hoop Dee Doo to our Animal Kingdom day but I'm hoping that Rivers of Light will be running and the 8:30 Hoop Dee Doo is a bit late...
As in the month that starts next week? I've not kept up, figuring it would begin when it begins but is it really expected to start that soon?

Lol, so that's wishful thinking on my part? I was really hoping but I guess maybe we would ave heard an announcement by now huh?

Lol, so that's wishful thinking on my part? I was really hoping but I guess maybe we would ave heard an announcement by now huh?
Yeah, I'd think so. Consider it a bonus if it opens but by no means plan on it. Unless you read something between now and your trip that indicates it's beginning is eminent.
We are there the same dates and I know I don't plan on going to RoL

If you do a park after HDDR, I would make it Magic Kingdom. It's a quick and easy boat ride over and it won't be any stress to try and get something done in such a short time before the park closes. If you have a full Epcot day, I would honestly make the effort to do rope drop. I am not a morning person and hate being at the parks for rope drop, but in this case it is worth it. You can keep your FEA FP+ time, go straight over to soarin at rope drop and get it done quickly, then go over to TT and get it done pretty quickly (even more so if you guys are willing to do the single rider line), and do other things you want to get done before your FP+ times start. I also wouldn't count on ROL being open until spring/early summer, sadly :(

I'd hate to plan Hoop Dee Doo for Animal Kingdom night and then miss Rivers of Light. It would be a great plan if Rivers doesn't happen so maybe I'll go ahead and plan on that. That will be easier to go from a park to Hoop Dee Doo rather than from the hotel right?

You would have to have every single thing go right to make it. Why not go BEFORE HDDR?

So I can't change Hoop Dee Doo to our AK day. Only tier one seating is available which isn't covered by dining plan. Do you think it would be possible to get to Epcot before the dinner show? Plane arrives at 1pm.

Are you guys doing online check in? If you're able to bypass checking in in person, you might be able to do it, although it does take a while to get from Epcot to HDDR, especially if you're planning on using the bus system. And are you using the Magical Express from the airport?

May be a stupid question but what are the benefits of online check in? Don't I still need to visit the counter at arrival so I know what room we have? And yes, we are using Magical express and Disney transportation. Starting to think it's nearly impossible to try to get to Epcot that night...

I can't guarantee that it happens every single time that you use online check in, but on our last two visits we were able to completely by-pass checking in at the resort. We received a text message with our room number, and we just went straight there when we got to the resort. We used the magic bands that we had received about a week and a half prior to arrival, and it was easy and a super time-saver.

If you do a park after HDDR, I would make it Magic Kingdom. It's a quick and easy boat ride over and it won't be any stress to try and get something done in such a short time before the park closes. If you have a full Epcot day, I would honestly make the effort to do rope drop. I am not a morning person and hate being at the parks for rope drop, but in this case it is worth it. You can keep your FEA FP+ time, go straight over to soarin at rope drop and get it done quickly, then go over to TT and get it done pretty quickly (even more so if you guys are willing to do the single rider line), and do other things you want to get done before your FP+ times start. I also wouldn't count on ROL being open until spring/early summer, sadly :(
I agree with all of this^. This would be my plan of attack.

I can't guarantee that it happens every single time that you use online check in, but on our last two visits we were able to completely by-pass checking in at the resort. We received a text message with our room number, and we just went straight there when we got to the resort. We used the magic bands that we had received about a week and a half prior to arrival, and it was easy and a super time-saver.

OP will you have carry ons? What will you do with those if you try to go straight to Epcot prior to the HDDR?
ME will only take you to your hotel - not another hotel nor a park. So you have to go there first. The rule of thumb is about 90 minutes from deplaning - not landing - to reach your resort. Could be more, could be less. Then you could drop your carryons with Bell Services and head to Epcot. Which could take awhile.
Plan on leaving for HDDR a good 90 minutes in advance. You will take a bus to Fort Wilderness from Epcot and then have to take an internal bus to Pioneer Hall for the show.
If you are not going to try to go to Epcot first, you still need to leave 90 minutes in advance. I think the easiest is to take a bus to MK from your hotel and then the boat to Fort Wilderness. Pioneer Hall is within walking distance of the boat dock.
I do not believe you can make Epcot in time for a FP + after HDDR. The show is about 2 hours long, which means you will not get out until about 8:15. Then you would need to take an internal bus to the front of FW - which you would have to wait for - then wait for a bus to take you to Epcot - ride there- go through security and bag check and then finally walk to FEA. I don't think I would want to try that or have that stress.
Good Luck

May be a stupid question but what are the benefits of online check in? Don't I still need to visit the counter at arrival so I know what room we have? And yes, we are using Magical express and Disney transportation. Starting to think it's nearly impossible to try to get to Epcot that night...
It's going to be stressful but it's possible.
Even if you don't get your room number via text if you do online check in you could theoretically go straight to Epcot upon arrival to your resort.
You would get on ME, go to resort, drop any bags you don't need with bell services and then call for Uber/Lyft or get on a Bus, depending on time of arrival and FP.
Then when you are ready to leave Epcot hop on the monorail then get on the MK monorail and then get the boat from MK to FW. This is probably better than the FW Bus from Epcot since the boat brings you out right at the HDDR location.
You do stand a lot better chance of going to Epcot first than you do going to Epcot after HDDR
If you want to try, book your FP for something like 3:30, 3:45 or 4:00. Ride TT. If you have time, do more, if you don't, go straight back out to head to HDDR. It would be rushing around but it is possible. Depends how much much you want to skip rope drop. If it were my family, I'd book the early FP, hope to make it. If I don't, I don't, I go straight to HDDR and plan RD later in the trip. If I make it, great. One less early morning.

And all that said, you stand a better chance of getting to Epcot after HDDR than you do seeing RoL in January.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter