Arrival Day...need a plan! Advice:):)

Cory's Gal

<font color=#01DF01>I also haven't met a donut I d
My family and I , DH, DS (8), & DD (5), arrive on Friday the 19th of July to LAX about 9:30am. Our final destination this first night is down in Poway, but we would like to do a bit of sightseeing before the drive south. We would like to see the Hollywood sign from a distance, maybe the walk of fame and other sightseeing places. We would also like to grab some lunch. I saw another post talking about Griffith Park which sounds like a lovely place. By early-mid afternoon we will be driving south, is the PCH the way we want to take? Is this the most scenic? We will be driving back up to Anaheim the morning of the 24th for the second part of our vacation (DL!!). Thanks for any help and advice in advance!! :worship::worship:

If you go directly to the Hollywood/Highland Center you will be right in the
middle of the Walk of Fame and Hollywood sign. Many places to eat there
including the Disney Soda Fountain across the street.

Griffith Park is huge and you’re correct, quite lovely. But huge - one of the
largest urban parks in the US - and includes the famous Observatory, the Zoo,
the merry-go-round where Walt got the idea for Disneyland, Travel Town,
Disney’s Carolwood Barn a small train and the Hollywood sign. Easily a full day
or two just there.

PCH south from the airport will be 30 miles away from Hollywood (so a 60
mile round trip) and not the most scenic part. But if you do take it you will
be right on the shoreline until Capistrano where it veers inland. Mostly beach
cities and heavy traffic.

Since it's a Friday, keep in mind that traffic will be an issue.

I agree with StageTek that Hollywood and Highland might be a great start. There's a decent view of the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame, El Capitan Theater and the Disney Soda Fountain.

PCH starts to get pretty in Long Beach/Seal Beach and will take you through Huntington, Newport, Laguna, etc. Once you hit San Juan Capistrano, I'd jump on Interstate 5 to complete your trip.

Huntington and Newport have some lovely restaurants right on the water, which might be a good place to stop for lunch. There's also Balboa Island off Newport which you can access via ferry boat.

Have a great trip!

If you go directly to the Hollywood/Highland Center you will be right in the
middle of the Walk of Fame and Hollywood sign. Many places to eat there
including the Disney Soda Fountain across the street.

Griffith Park is huge and you’re correct, quite lovely. But huge - one of the
largest urban parks in the US - and includes the famous Observatory, the Zoo,
the merry-go-round where Walt got the idea for Disneyland, Travel Town,
Disney’s Carolwood Barn a small train and the Hollywood sign. Easily a full day
or two just there.

PCH south from the airport will be 30 miles away from Hollywood (so a 60
mile round trip) and not the most scenic part. But if you do take it you will
be right on the shoreline until Capistrano where it veers inland. Mostly beach
cities and heavy traffic.

Since it's a Friday, keep in mind that traffic will be an issue.

I agree with StageTek that Hollywood and Highland might be a great start. There's a decent view of the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame, El Capitan Theater and the Disney Soda Fountain.

PCH starts to get pretty in Long Beach/Seal Beach and will take you through Huntington, Newport, Laguna, etc. Once you hit San Juan Capistrano, I'd jump on Interstate 5 to complete your trip.

Huntington and Newport have some lovely restaurants right on the water, which might be a good place to stop for lunch. There's also Balboa Island off Newport which you can access via ferry boat.

Have a great trip!

Thank you both so so much for your advice! Hollywood & Highland sounds like a great start for us and a stop at the Disney Soda Fountain Shop would be fun!! Is there plenty of parking and pretty easy to find? My DH and I are good at navigating new places. Thanks for the tips about driving south too, this is SUPER helpful!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Hollywood and Highland has a ton of parking under the complex and there are quite a few public lots. Have a great time!! :yay:

Hollywood and Highland has a ton of parking under the complex and there are quite a few public lots. Have a great time!! :yay:

Awesome! Thanks for the info! The kids will be so excited! It will be quite the change of scenery from Minnesota!! We hope to go back to CA again when they are a bit older too! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter