Arrival day Must Do's

We always arrive at the resort about 3:00PM.

We have a swim and a nap, then head over to EPCOT for a counter service dinner (usually Morocco) and Illuminations. This year we'll be there during Food & Wine Festival so it will be extra fun!

1. Breathe a huge sigh of relief that we are at Walt Disney World.
2. DH and I hold hands as much as possible.
3. Repeatedly say, "I can't believe we're actually here."
4. Silently wish that I could hold onto the carefree looks on my family's faces forever.

We always arrive around 11am, so we check into hotel, grab lunch, walk around resort/swim, unpack and hit MK late afternnon for the evening! No otherway to go but spend the first night in our favorite, magical park. :thumbsup2

We do the same :goodvibes DS always wants a cheeseburger from the food court upon arrival. Then we relax at the pool until we can get settled into our room. This year we're going to have dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe before going to MK for EMH's :yay:

We did the Wishes Dessert Party on arrival day and my kids insist that we have to do it again. After a long day of travel it's nice to unwind (and graze :lmao:) while watching the fireworks with no crowd.

Do you drive to WDW or fly? Considering dessert party for 1st time but was concerned with the 24 hr cancelation policy for arrival day since we fly in. TIA

We always take the earliest flight out of Chicago which gets us in to MCO at 10:30 am. Last year we skipped ME and rented a car for the day, which we are planning on doing again. Check in the hotel and then get some snacks/drinks for the room. Rest time after, then Chef Mickey for dinner, after it's MK for Wishes and maybe a ride or two. Back to the resort for bed and a full next day.

Our flights usually land mid-afternoon, so by the time we get to the resort and check in we just unpack, have tea and explore the resort. Last time we wnet, DH and I were in bed by 9 and up at 5.30! It took us a few days to get over the jet lag but it was fine because we were up bright and early each morning, had the food court to ourselves and were on the first bus to the park with morning EMH :goodvibes DH said it's the only time he's ever seen me willingly get out of bed so early in the morning :rotfl:

Do you drive to WDW or fly? Considering dessert party for 1st time but was concerned with the 24 hr cancelation policy for arrival day since we fly in. TIA

We flew in. 9 am flight got us to MCO by 11:30am, we were checked in to the room, settled, explored OPR quickly and in MK by 4pm. Dessert Party ADR was at 9. Next time we're driving and will probably end up on the same schedule.

We don't arrive until 7pm so we don't go too far. We Visit DTD, check out World of Disney, hit Earl of Sandwich for dinner, ride the carousel. Hit Goofys Candy Store and make a rice krispie.

We flew in. 9 am flight got us to MCO by 11:30am, we were checked in to the room, settled, explored OPR quickly and in MK by 4pm. Dessert Party ADR was at 9. Next time we're driving and will probably end up on the same schedule.

Keeping this on topic about the first day must do's, can you tell me about the dessert party? In your opinion is it worth it? Is it expensive, and do you get a better view than standing on Main Street? We won't do that our first day as we do Illuminations but it might be something new to try. Thanks!

Thanks - arrival day dessert party sounds so tempting :scratchin

What are your arrival day must do's?

We generally never hit a park our first day. We stock up on needed items for the room and our stay. We unpack, get settled, enjoy the pool, and eat at a couple of great restaurants.

What do you do?

If I could start with O'hana and end with O'hana, our trip would be perfect!

Flight usually gets there around noon, head to our resort, drop our bags and head straight to the parks. First day is usually EPCOT, though if there's evening extra majic hours at the MK, we head to EPCOT, then dinner, then to MK for extra magic hours. It's usually the only evening EMH we do during the entire trip.

We usually arrive around 12-1 pm. We grab a bite at the food court, head to our room (if ready) unpack and decorate the windows! Then head to DTD to soak up the Disney feel without actually being in a park.
After DTD head back to resort, explore, take a few pictures, maybe swim if not too tired.
This year we have dinner reservations at Ohana! :hyper: So we will get to watch Wishes from the beach for the first time...

We have done different things depending on what time we get to WDW. It takes us a full day of traveling to get to Orlando. There is a 3 hour difference for us so when we get in too late we just go to the resort, unpack, and go to bed. If we get in early enough we like to go to EPCOT watch the fireworks then back to the room for bed. This time we get in at around 6pm but plan on going to the Boardwalk since we have not been there in a few years. We'll eat dinner, shop, and then back to the room to unpack and go to bed. We'll have been up since about 2:30 am so hopefully we can get a good night sleep before our first full day in WDW.

Keeping this on topic about the first day must do's, can you tell me about the dessert party? In your opinion is it worth it? Is it expensive, and do you get a better view than standing on Main Street? We won't do that our first day as we do Illuminations but it might be something new to try. Thanks!

For 3 people it cost$77. We didn't eat near to that much in desserts but after seeing the crowds I feel it was worth every penny. Wasnt crowded, great view, was able to sit and still see the fireworks and had unlimited sweets, couldn't beat that lol.

For 3 people it cost$77. We didn't eat near to that much in desserts but after seeing the crowds I feel it was worth every penny. Wasnt crowded, great view, was able to sit and still see the fireworks and had unlimited sweets, couldn't beat that lol.

It's almost $90 for 3 people this summer, not sure when you went but prices do fluxuate depending on time you go :)

First trip was April 18-24 of this year :thumbsup2

So should I allow for higher prices when we go next year? (Aug 25)

Right now I have Chef Mickey's booked for a 7:30 dinner on our day of arrival. I've seen people mention in this thread about checking out Wishes from the Contemporary. Can anyone give me some insight on that? Is that something doable for me considering I'll be at that resort for a 7:30 dinner. Where do you watch the fireworks from? other places?

I've been to Disney only one time and I didn't even see the fireworks the one time I was there, so any advice/help would be welcome!

Our plan arrives at 6:30 PM, so plan to get a little settled and checked into room, then off to Artist Point for a late dinner. We will be on the plane for 8 hours getting to Orlando, so planning on R & R after dinner and get rested for our first day at Epcot!

Ours has become lunch at Earl of Sandwich on our way into The World :)

Ahh Earl! Definitely on my Arrival day list! I've got almost 4 months to plan what sandwich I will eat first, lol

jaycie12DISFAN We like to watch them from the Poly BEach! I would hop on the monorail and watch them there if I were you! I have never watched them from the GF before.

I can't wait. I'm thinking this year (barring any car breakdowns like we have had the past 2 years) we should make it in time to check in, do a walmart liquor store run, eat at Earl's, swim, and fireworks! Sounds great, and If I can sneak in supper at Bahama Breeze I would be extremely happy!!

For us getting there takes most of the day. We lose 2hrs. when we fly there so normaly we dont get in until later into the day. We go right to the hotel and check in (off site) then make a quick run to walmart and end the day with dinner down town disney somewhere. I like to try and get to bed at a a good time so we can be rested for the next day few days at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter