ARGGGH! Shut out of 7DMT. Now what?

caribou47

Earning My Ears
30 days out from Disney, staying offsite. In my dry runs with FP+ earlier this week, I could see availability for 7DMT well into the afternoon each day after the window opened, so I assumed it would be a light week and easy to get what we want for FP.

Instead of staying up until midnight, I went to bed, and when I woke up at 2:30 AM, grabbed my phone. 7DMT GONE for April 14 ALREADY! WHY?!

More importantly, what's my best bet now?

-- Move that park day back so I have another chance to stay up until midnight?
-- Keep relentlessly trying to swap out one FP (Buzz Lightyear) for 7DMT?
-- Get rid of all 3 FPs and keep relentlessly trying to get 7DMT?

I am so mad I didn't just stay up. That was the one ride we really needed the FP for.

Thanks for suggestions.

Have you tried checking for one member of your party at a time to book overlapping windows?

I have tickets with a 7 day booking window and I can find a FP for one person for next week.

Oooh, that's a good idea but no luck so far. If I choose one person and try to change Buzz to a different selection, still nothing available. At one point while flailing around I cancelled Buzz for all of us, thinking I could add a third FP back, but that was a disaster. It seemed like we were stuck with just two, so I ended up cancelling all of the FPs for the day and starting over. So now I'm back where I started, still trying to get 7DMT.

When I started over, for 7DMT it said, "FP+ selection has ended for the day." But there are TONS of times left for most other rides.

Will they release more? Should I try again hourly, or daily, or what? I don't know what to do and I'm so bummed!

Keep trying. People cancel all the time. Keep trying even "day of" when you enter the park.

Or, changing around your park days and trying to book at 12:00 is still an option.

30 days out from Disney, staying offsite. In my dry runs with FP+ earlier this week, I could see availability for 7DMT well into the afternoon each day after the window opened, so I assumed it would be a light week and easy to get what we want for FP.

Instead of staying up until midnight, I went to bed, and when I woke up at 2:30 AM, grabbed my phone. 7DMT GONE for April 14 ALREADY! WHY?!

More importantly, what's my best bet now?

-- Move that park day back so I have another chance to stay up until midnight?
-- Keep relentlessly trying to swap out one FP (Buzz Lightyear) for 7DMT?
-- Get rid of all 3 FPs and keep relentlessly trying to get 7DMT?

I am so mad I didn't just stay up. That was the one ride we really needed the FP for.

Thanks for suggestions.

Option A. It's a lot less time-consuming than options B and C.

I'm also staying off site and going around the same time as you. I was able to get fastpasses for 7DMT for 4/13 (slots available for after 5 PM only). I also checked fastpass times last night for 4/14 and there were slots available (after 6PM). So if you're really set on getting a FP for this ride, I would suggest staying up tonight. According to Dibb, there's still FPs available for days after 4/15. But if you don't want to change your park day, try going at rope drop like others have suggested and/or keep checking back to see if slots open up. Good luck!

From the FP+ superthread:
- One of the most useful resources to check availability for FPs can be found here, at a website called The Dibb. It shows attraction availability, based on party sizes of 2 or 4, for the next 4 months for some of the most in-demand attractions at WDW. This information is updated every 30 minutes.

When I went in November 2014, we were also shut out for our entire trip at the 60 day mark, but about a week before the trip, a time slot opened that was exactly what we wanted! So definitely keep checking. We also did it again for rope drop our last day..just make sure you are there as early as possible to be right up front.

We did 7DMT on our Christmas trip without a FP by getting there at rope drop. Park opened at 7:00, we got there at 6:40 (left resort at 6:15) and walked straight to the ride and only had to wait in line a short time. We booked our trip late and missed the 60 day window and were unable to get it, but we just made it work that way. It was great being in the park so early and we did so many rides without FP before 10:00. It was the best way to do it.

Keep checking. I find mornings to be the best time to look. My parents have APs and I make their FP for them. At 30 days they wanted 7DMT at the same time that my aunt and uncle and cousin booked (6:30-7:30 PM) the best I could get them was 8:05-9:05. Later that evening there was nothing left. The next morning there were a bunch of times so I changed it to 5:30-6:30, the best I could do. That evening everything was gone again. I kept checking for several days with no luck and then a few days later I checked at mid morning and was able to get them 6:40-7:40. It seems like whenever I would check in the evening there was nothing available.

I would also suggest just trying to get there BEFORE the actual rope drop and beeline straight back to it. Of course you won't be alone in doing this but if you're really there before the park opens you should be able to get on the ride with only about a 15-20 minute wait. If you get there as the park opens rather than before you'll probably be looking at about a 45 minute wait. Being there before the opening ceremony is the only way to avoid a long wait. But look at it this way - it will be fun to see the opening ceremony too.

Closing the loop on this -- thanks to a very nice family from Maine who offered to coordinate a drop of their 4 passes (because they had better times on a different park day), I was able to scoop up FPs for all four of us for 7 PM on the 14th! I wasn't at all sure it would work but it was easy -- the very instant she dropped them, they showed up in the system and I got them. Woo hoo! Thanks to this board and that great family / kindness of strangers for making it possible!

Lesson learned for me -- even if lots of other rides are showing up with great availability, and even if 7DMT itself is showing up with availability on other days, it's best to stay up until midnight (especially if staying offsite), just to be sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter