• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you trying to decide if you should stay onsite?

planningjollyholiday

DIS Veteran
We recently stayed 5 nights at the disneyland hotel and 2 nights at the grand californian. We had such a great time and definatly thought it was worth it!!! Our stay was truly magical and we will never stay offsite. The cast members were amazing at both places and were able to meet all of our requests, and the service and upgrades we recieved at both places went above and beyond. We preferred the disneyland hotel because we felt the pool was better and the decor was way more disneyish. Bell services transferred our bags for us from hotel to hotel which was a load off our shoulders. And by far the best part was the early entry. We were able to ride RSR with little wait in the morning and then get fastpasses to ride it again at night by getting in line 15 min before park opening. We got so many of the big rides done in the morning that in the afternoon we rode the smaller rides with little wait. I read in another thread how busy it seems at disneyland right now, and yes there were lots of people but we never waited in line very long, and on the weekends when it was packed we just relaxed in the pools. So if you are debating wether to stay onsite or not then my advice would be to do it!!!!

I'm with you. I never have to decide, I just have to wait until I can afford it.;) It is expensive. I love love love the new DLH.:love: It is part of the vacation for me.

That's wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay! :thumbsup2

Every time I think about booking on-site, I can't help but think about all the character meals, snacks and souvenirs I could purchase with the extra money I would have to spend to stay in a Disneyland hotel. Some day we'll treat ourselves!

That's wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay! :thumbsup2

Every time I think about booking on-site, I can't help but think about all the character meals, snacks and souvenirs I could purchase with the extra money I would have to spend to stay in a Disneyland hotel. Some day we'll treat ourselves!

skip all that stuff one time and enjoy the hotel. The kids and you, will LOVE it.

I read this at just the right time. I'm booking late January for the kids' xmas present and I wanted to stay on site but almost let DH talk me out of it because of the $$. I'm just going to do it!!!

We are planning on staying at the PPH for our next trip. It is what we have standing in our budget at the moment but will be very pricey for us as we are staying around 15 nights :o

I'm with you. I never have to decide, I just have to wait until I can afford it.;) It is expensive. I love love love the new DLH.:love: It is part of the vacation for me.

nana50 -

This is exactly how I feel, too. For me, staying onsite is definitely worth it and it is definitely "part of the vacation" as well.

I like all 3 of the hotels for different reasons. This doesn't mean that I can always afford an onsite stay - and if/when I can't, then I just go home (I live in L.A.). But it's not the same experience when that happens. Something about being on Disney property and in the "Disney bubble" from the moment I arrive at DLR to the moment I leave has a big impact on my overall enjoyment of the trip. It makes it a much more complete trip for me, in a way.

I realize and understand that staying onsite is not for everyone - some folks don't see why staying onsite makes a difference, especially with such a hefty price tag attached. And I certainly agree that the rates are getting crazier than ever, while the good discounts are becoming few and far between. Pretty soon, I'm not sure that anyone will be able to stay onsite if the rates keep climbing!

For some people, it won't make a difference at all which hotel they're in. I totally see the logic in saving the money that would be spent on a Disney hotel for extra souvenirs, snacks, etc. That makes sense - especially when kids are involved.

We've never stayed onsite, but have thought about it before.

What is the average cost? I know in the past when I've checked it really scared me off. :eek:

I saw a post somewhere recently that gave some prices that weren't as bad...I think gay day rates...but when you go for 10 days to 2 weeks at a time, its a lot.

and what is the senior citizen rates. We;ll have my mom with us the last few days so maybe she'll spring for a couple of days at the resort. She's got more $$$ to burn than I do. ;)

This is how we feel, too. I have stayed at some very nice places offsite, but love the convenience of being close. We love to spend our afternoons at the pool and have a few hours to relax. Totally worth it to us.

I love to stay on-site!! We have stayed at all three over the years. It definitely adds magic to the whole trip.

When there are 5 or less traveling in the group we stay on-site. However, when the number reaches 6 or more, we have to make off-site arrangements.

Only one time when there were 7 of us did we stay on-site. Two adjoining rooms at the GrandCalifornian for a week.

Our family is now up to 9.
The cost for two rooms on-site is a real HIT on my budget!!
With meals, snacks, blah, blah....

The full expense of our family Disney trips are always my $$treat$$ and I can't afford two rooms on-site now.

Our family tree
DH, D-ME
DS, DGS (18), DGD (14)
DS, D-DIL, DGS (10), DGD (8)

Geemo

and what is the senior citizen rates. We;ll have my mom with us the last few days so maybe she'll spring for a couple of days at the resort. She's got more $$$ to burn than I do. ;)

Book the entire trip under your mom's name and divide the cost later. Senior citizens (60 and over) get the best discounts around. I believe it's 30% off.

DH and I have been going back and forth on this very subject. We are going DL the week after Thanksgiving and it will cost us almost a $1000 more to stay at PPH. We have stayed at PPH and GCH before and had a nice time. At this point the realy advantage to staying onsite is being able to go in early every morning. But is being in there an hour earlier then the general public worth $1000? I could do a whole to with $1000 especially with Christmas only a couple weeks later.

nana50 -

I realize and understand that staying onsite is not for everyone - some folks don't see why staying onsite makes a difference, especially with such a hefty price tag attached. And I certainly agree that the rates are getting crazier than ever, while the good discounts are becoming few and far between. Pretty soon, I'm not sure that anyone will be able to stay onsite if the rates keep climbing!

I'm afraid if this trend keeps up, only rich people will be able to afford a vacation to DLR at all...

If you go for 10-14 days, then consider a split stay between a good neighbor hotel and a DLR hotel, if it's too pricey for the full time at a DLR hotel. Just make sure to END the stay at the DLR hotel to avoid disappointment in in the good neighbor hotel and to end the trip on the best note possible!
We're going in 3 days for a 5 night stay at DLH concierge (thanks to gay days rate)!:cool1: Can't wait!

NOOOO why did I open this post. Yes I agree these people are enablers:lmao:I was just fine with Candy Cane Inn as a motel of choice for our first trip to DL in July 2013. We are very happy with the value resorts at WDW but would LOVE to have our first visit to DL & stay at DLH;) Wishing for some luck here.

While I think it would be great to stay in a DL hotel, it's just out of our price range. And even if it wasn't, we would probably spend the money on something else. We are perfectly content with our outside hotels. Last time we stay at the Double Tree, which was excellent! This is time we are staying at the Fairfield, which may not be super fancy, but it's comfortable and convenient.

I just can't justify the price difference to stay onsite, see below!

Last time we stayed at HOJO and loved it but DS8 wants to stay even CLOSER this time, so I'm going for the Best Western Park Place Inn.

Disneyland Hotel 2717
Paradise Pier 2168
BWPPI 1344

And those prices are without airfare.

I will gladly save $800+ and stay offsite...at a hotel which is technically closer walking distance ;-)

To each their own of course, and I understand the draw of the resort hotels. Just not for us right now.

EDITED TO ADD: The prices above were ALL priced directly thru Disney's website.

IF I booked hotel/park tickets separately check this out:

5-day PH tickets thru the Disney site for self and 8y son: $560

Hotel directly thru BWPPI site, choosing "no car discount" since we won't have one: $530.89 after tax.

TOTAL BOOKING ITEMS SEPARATELY: 1090.89

Quite a savings again!

I just can't justify the price difference to stay onsite, see below!

Last time we stayed at HOJO and loved it but DS8 wants to stay even CLOSER this time, so I'm going for the Best Western Park Place Inn.

Disneyland Hotel 2717
Paradise Pier 2168
BWPPI 1344

And those prices are without airfare.

I will gladly save $800+ and stay offsite...at a hotel which is technically closer walking distance ;-)

To each their own of course, and I understand the draw of the resort hotels. Just not for us right now.
Same for me
I found that staying on site was double for my family vs staying at bwppi
Take into account that I am not there for the hotel, it's just not worth it for the extras you receive IMO
Now at wdw, that's a different story

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter