Are you surprised by the actual cost of your DVC vacations?

I actually got a look at my bill as we are still here at SSR and what I have found is that the more we have gone the less we spend. The novelty of souvenirs have worn down , with the full kitchens we buy snack foods and groceries from grocery store instead of buying in the park.

I think with the years you realize you don't have to see and do everything with your visit....and that there will always be a next time.

My family will always do vacations and now we have great resorts to enjoy.

DVC costs aisde, I am always shocked at how much our vacations cost for everything OTHER than the room! :scared1:

Our TOTAL trip cost in Aug. (NOT including any DVC costs) was about $5200. Now, that does include 3 adult APs, so this year the trip should "only" run about $4000. :rolleyes: So no, owning DVC is NOT allowing us to vacation on the cheap. Not sure what I was expecting. But we are also up to 14 - 17 nights as opposed to the 9 nights we used to do. Maybe that is part of it. ;)

Last August I was able to take along my children's grandparents for a once in a lifetime trip to WDW (who knows, maybe it can happen again but they are getting up there in age). My wife's parents had never been to WDW and they are in their late 60's and early 70's. My parents could never have afforded to go, so I had to cover about every one of their expenses.

One of the comments my daughter made was, "I have never seen Abi (grandpa) smile so much". How do I put a price on that? How do I put a price on photo of me, my stepfathe, and my father-in-law all wearing matching Mickey shirts and mouseears?

None of that would have been possible without DVC because i could never afford to get a 3 bedroom (THV) villa on my own (they were going for $700 per night in CRO).

spend more than we would without it

I think that's the key and you have to be OK with that. Yes the same room costs $700 a night through CRO but would you ever actually reserve that?

The phantom savings that many people cite on these boards are just that. If not for DVC many would stay in a luxury condo offsite (I've done it, it's cheap) or fewer nights in a deluxe or the same amount of time in a mod. DVC is great but it is not inexpensive.

Disney costs per year: $2500 (that includes initial cost, due, and money spent there)

the look on our kids faces each year: PRICELESS

I know what the OP is saying, it really is not neccessarily a money saving expense, however I don't know any timeshare that would fall into that category. We bought to insure ourselves of a nice vacation every year, no matter what. I have to say that we have used each and every point we own to its fullest and there have been some trips where we only go into the parks once the entire week, and just lounge around the pools. We do tend to cook in the condo daily....we tried the Dining plan one trip and found it not to our needs....so we keep the "disney" cost down.

Love this thread!!!!!!

cheryl

What is killing us this time around is my 10 yr old is considered an adult for the DDP :scared1:. So instead of spending $13.00 a day for him we are spending $42.00 a day. I did some very rough estimating and it is still worth it for us to do the DDP. Because lets face it, I am not cooking while on vacation (I hardly cook when I am at home).

My thought process at this point is screw it, it is only money. I can't take it with me when I am dead, so I might as well spend it while I am alive. :rotfl:

We are like others and wanted the bigger rooms. Three kids plus two adults in a hotel room for a week= a crabby family. Our kids get claustraphobic in small rooms, (not sure why they can handle our 1200sq ft bungalow, maybe that's whey we need to move). So the extra room in a 1bd for them to run around really helps. We don't do commando style with DVC, we relax in our villa and have lots of pool time. We have also used a couple of years points for our three trips this year to get the most out of our APs. The other thing we are doing is spending time at HHI. We will drive down to save money and just relax. Not having to fly and buy APs saves a lot of money. We figure we'll alternate every other year at WDW and HHI with a short trip to DL every few years when I have a conference out there.

Welcome to the club. We initially did it to save money, and quickly realized that it wasn't about saving money, but enjoying our vacations in great rooms that were prepaid for.

I suspect that its the rare bird who saves money buying DVC. That we go more often, stay nicer, and spend more than we would without it - and that those who are happiest with the purchase did not have "saving money" as an actual top priority.
Haptly put! I didn't purchase with the intent on saving money, nor have I. Since purchasing in 2000, even with the changes in point charts and the in and out perks I still love the whole DVC concept. We've had wonderful vacations, family reunions, etc. and Disney/DVC is a big part of that. I constantly fight the urge to add-on, sure if I had the extra points I would use them, but I dont' want to pay anymore maintenance. I bought what points I could afford so that we could do (2), 4/5 day stays in a 2br, we also love to visit other states and countries and by keeping my DVC to what I purchased we can do this. :)

DVC costs aisde, I am always shocked at how much our vacations cost for everything OTHER than the room! :scared1:

Our TOTAL trip cost in Aug. (NOT including any DVC costs) was about $5200. Now, that does include 3 adult APs, so this year the trip should "only" run about $4000. :rolleyes: So no, owning DVC is NOT allowing us to vacation on the cheap. Not sure what I was expecting. But we are also up to 14 - 17 nights as opposed to the 9 nights we used to do. Maybe that is part of it. ;)

That's the point that I was trying to make. Most Members don't include the total cost when thinking about how much their DVC vacation costs. How do you feel knowing that your costs will continue every year until you sell your contract(s)?

:) Bill

What is killing us this time around is my 10 yr old is considered an adult for the DDP :scared1:. So instead of spending $13.00 a day for him we are spending $42.00 a day. I did some very rough estimating and it is still worth it for us to do the DDP. Because lets face it, I am not cooking while on vacation (I hardly cook when I am at home).

My thought process at this point is screw it, it is only money. I can't take it with me when I am dead, so I might as well spend it while I am alive. :rotfl:

I couldnt have said it better myself!!! When we bought in, I told my wife not to think of it as saving money on trips but instead to think of it as making us take a vaction ( or 2! ) each year. With the way things are going, who knows what will happpen tomorrow? It gives me a chance to have fun with DW and DS while I still can.

But I do agree that it still does cost a bunch of extra $$$$ to go. For our trip this month its $350 for air (me and DS used miles for our tickets), $125 for a car, $834 for 3 6day Ph and $545 for the DDP. That comes to $1854. But it sure is worth it!!

One area of "savings" I get is with plane tickets. Because I plan my vacation 7-11 months out I can pre-order my plane tickets early. I just got round trip tickets for $167. If I waited until a few months out, those same tickets cost $300-$500!!! But would I even be going to Florida this much without DVC? No! Would I ever had need to buy annual passes without DVC? No! Would I ever had stayed in anything above a moderate? No! After 46 nights staying at DVC (6 nights 2-bed, all others studio) my costs including purchase and maint. fees price is $416/night. That will go down each time. In six more years it will be around $150/night. Would I even go to Disney this often without DVC? No! And that is part of the point of DVC for me.

Without DVC I wouldn't be going to Disney for wonderful vacations 16 nights out of the year. Spending extra time with family and friends? No!

Yes! My pockets are more empty because I bought DVC. But my memories are more full and life is more exciting. I enjoy Disney. I'm glad to be a fanatic! And so...bottom line...going to Disney, staying at a DVC is more important than keeping several green presidents in my wallet (which would have been spent on something else anyway). All I know it has been worth every penny to me. Sticker shock? Yes! You bet! But happy? Even more so.

One area of "savings" I get is with plane tickets. Because I plan my vacation 7-11 months out I can pre-order my plane tickets early. I just got round trip tickets for $167. If I waited until a few months out, those same tickets cost $300-$500!!! But would I even be going to Florida this much without DVC? No! Would I ever had need to buy annual passes without DVC? No! Would I ever had stayed in anything above a moderate? No! After 46 nights staying at DVC (6 nights 2-bed, all others studio) my costs including purchase and maint. fees price is $416/night. That will go down each time. In six more years it will be around $150/night. Would I even go to Disney this often without DVC? No! And that is part of the point of DVC for me.

Without DVC I wouldn't be going to Disney for wonderful vacations 16 nights out of the year. Spending extra time with family and friends? No!

Yes! My pockets are more empty because I bought DVC. But my memories are more full and life is more exciting. I enjoy Disney. I'm glad to be a fanatic! And so...bottom line...going to Disney, staying at a DVC is more important than keeping several green presidents in my wallet (which would have been spent on something else anyway). All I know it has been worth every penny to me. Sticker shock? Yes! You bet! But happy? Even more so.

I really like your response!

Can you explain this statement to me though - how will your costs go down? Your buy-in is fixed, and our dues increase each year...For me, I take my buy-in cost, divide by number of years on contract, plus yearly dues, and divide by the nights per year that I use it. Each year though, this will go up due to an increase in dues, or am I missing something? I am mathematically challenged, I should warn you. :rotfl:

I am enjoying this thread very much! I absolutely love DVC and can't imagine life without it as it really brings amazing family memories to our hearts. I just posted as the frugal and conservative girl in me sometimes struggles with the actual cost on a large-scale basis.

Thanks, Tiger

Can you explain this statement to me though - how will your costs go down? Your buy-in is fixed, and our dues increase each year...For me, I take my buy-in cost, plus yearly dues, and divide by the nights per year that I use it. Each year though, this will go up due to an increase in dues, or am I missing something? I am mathematically challenged, I should warn you. :rotfl:

I am enjoying this thread very much! I absolutely love DVC and can't imagine life without it as it really brings amazing family memories to our hearts. I just posted as the frugal and conservative girl in me sometimes struggles with the actual cost on a large-scale basis.

Thanks, Tiger

Don't forget that all costs other than your contract purchase price will go up. One could argue that you need to buy food at home, but Disney puts something in the air that makes you want to spend 2 times more on Disney food and a park admission ticket to get to the restaurant. :goodvibes

Don't forget that all costs other than your contract purchase price will go up. One could argue that you need to buy food at home, but Disney puts something in the air that makes you want to spend 2 times more on Disney food and a park admission ticket to get to the restaurant. :goodvibes

Do you think it is the "snow" they produce during the Christmas season ;) Or is it more minute than that...my 8 y.o. has insisted that Mickey is a man in a suit :eek: but I know otherwise!! :goodvibes

che

I'm guessing your getting to the idea that since you have DVC, you are going more often/longer and, thus, have to spend extra on food? That is a by-product, cuz, you have to eat!

Yes, the longer your stay, the more expenses you'll have. True, not everyone cooks in their vacation home, but that gives you the opportunity to. If you REALLY wanted to save money, you could.

With the amount of trips I've taken since October 2008 (when I wasn't in DVC), there really is no difference now that I'm a member. I stayed in values and mods, and now I stay, just as often, in deluxe accommodations. My food bill will be just the same, really.

So, what I'm saying is, your food bill will go up with the prices at the parks. If you are one of those guests that wants to eat a table service each day or will eat at a counter service at least twice a day, then the dining plan is for you. We, personally, share meals or eat snacks throughout the day, so the plan is lost on us. We also eat breakfast, most of the time, in our room with items we bring with us like granola bars. My point is, if you REALLY wanted to save money, you could. But those Disney hot dogs and other things are just SO good!

Yup, that's what I've been saying. That's why I confused where he said his costs per night go down each year. What am I missing...?

Thanks, Tiger :)

I have loved all the responses to this thread. When we first purchased, I too was under the spell that it would be saving us money. We also were value and moderate people ( when we weren't off property :eek: ) We now go more frequently and fly every time. This weekend will be our 3rd trip on our AP (wanted to get our moneys worth :rotfl:). So I can definitely say we are NOT saving money but we are gaining memories that are priceless. I know we eventually won't feel the need to have park tickets for the whole length of stay so a savings will be had there at some point. We have been fortunate enough to have resisted the dreaded add-onitis :worried:. What I think it boils down to is the fact we love to travel and Disney holds enough charm that going every year isn't that hard to take. Lets see in a couple years when the kids start becoming teens.

Rob

Can you explain this statement to me though - how will your costs go down? Your buy-in is fixed, and our dues increase each year...For me, I take my buy-in cost, plus yearly dues, and divide by the nights per year that I use it. Each year though, this will go up due to an increase in dues, or am I missing something? I am mathematically challenged, I should warn you. :rotfl:

Thanks, Tiger

We are close to the same formula. I use: Buy-in + Yearly dues divided by the total number of nights from my first stay until now. Example: Buy in 20,000 + 1000 (2008 maint) divided by 16 (Number of nights stayed in 2008) = $1,312.50 per night. But then the next year: Buy in 20,000 + 1,000 (2008 maint) + 1,200 (2009 maint) divided by 32 nights stayed (16 in 2008 and 16 in 2009) = $616.67 per night. That's a big drop for the first two years, but the price drop per night slows down over time. To be confusing, illustration above, my cost/night are not 616.67 just for 2009, but also that's my cost for 2008 nights. As time goes on, my 2008 cost/night gets less and less. :lovestruc And my value for DVC goes up more and more.

But what others have mentioned: this does not include the increase in other items like food and transportation.

We are close to the same formula. I use: Buy-in + Yearly dues divided by the total number of nights from my first stay until now. Example: Buy in 20,000 + 1000 (2008 maint) divided by 16 (Number of nights stayed in 2008) = $1,312.50 per night. But then the next year: Buy in 20,000 + 1,000 (2008 maint) + 1,200 (2009 maint) divided by 32 nights stayed (16 in 2008 and 16 in 2009) = $616.67 per night. That's a big drop for the first two years, but the price drop per night slows down over time. To be confusing, illustration above, my cost/night are not 616.67 just for 2009, but also that's my cost for 2008 nights. As time goes on, my 2008 cost/night gets less and less. :lovestruc And my value for DVC goes up more and more.

But what others have mentioned: this does not include the increase in other items like food and transportation.

Yikes! Too much math for me - LOL!! I am going to show this to my hubby, as I am still a bit confused. I actually made an error in my question to you: we take our buy-in, divide by number of years on contract, add dues and divide by number of nights to get that year's vacation cost. I'm not sure that our formula and your formula is the same thing, as I am mathematically challenged.

Thanks, Tiger

The myth that is propagated by DVC is that DVC saves one money. No, it doesn't! If I wanted to save money, maybe I'd put my money into a bank. Maybe.

The fact is that people spend money by buying into DVC. In fact, we make a commitment to spend money by doing so.

When comparing DVC with regular reservations, then less money is spent, but we certainly aren't saving money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter