Are you resolving to go GREEN on this EARTH DAY?

Definitely no argument wanted, but there is a desire to be able to voice a differing point of view. Apparently some would have this poster to just shut up and go away, but it is not going to happen - I will shout from the rooftops if I have to that I will not give up my right to live and enjoy this wonderful life that is available to all Americans, and will not be forced to give up my comfort and pursuit of happiness in this land of the FREE. If America does not wake up soon we will all be citizens of a world we never intended to see. We will be slaves to a lifestyle we never wanted - while the politicians who espouse for us to live "green" lifestyles continue to drive their SUVs and private jets, live in their larger homes and use comfortable air conditioning (don't fool yourselves, they already do) and we will not be able to purchase even the least comfortable vehicles or homes. Our taxes will be too high, food will be scarce, oil will be too expensive.....life as we know it will not exist.

There have only been a few differing points of view from the rest of the posters, but I fear there are many more, who are afraid to express their point of view. This is what it has come down to - people are afraid to express a dissenting opinion to the "green brigades" either on a chat board or in face to face conversation. Wake up, America, this is still the land of the free and the brave. God bless America!!!

Wow. Now the tree huggers are commies? :laughing:

Well, yeah, and it is not a bit funny. You should not take it to personally mean you are a communist or an anti-capitalist, nor is anyone on these boards, but the ones who want us all to give up our liberties and join in the lie that is "global warming" may be labeled anti-capitalist and there are organizations who want us to give up our lifestyle, and this should scare every American. They would love to bring our great nation to her knees. While so many people are changing their way of life to suit the desires of these groups of people, there are forces plotting to take away all that we hold dear. Why is that so hard to understand?

I don't drive to work, so I don't really mess with anything else.

Someone sent me a survey to take and it said I should think about not taking public transportation and walking to work. Yeah right. It's 12 miles and there are no paths. If I walk on the Beltway I'll be squashed in about 2 seconds and that will really mess up the environment.

I just came from a Party for the Planet today, and heard someone is capturing the water they let run through the faucet and into the sink while waiting for the tap water to heat up. Anyone else do this? Is it practical?

I'd like to go more green for lawn care too, I currently use Chemlawn cause the yard was in such a state when I bought the house, I didn't know how to handle it. Since this is the year of the frog and I'm worried about the pollutants from the lawn treatments etc, I'd like to get rid of it, but don't know much about green methods for fertilizing lawns, treating weeds. Any suggestions?

I don't drive to work, so I don't really mess with anything else.

Someone sent me a survey to take and it said I should think about not taking public transportation and walking to work. Yeah right. It's 12 miles and there are no paths. If I walk on the Beltway I'll be squashed in about 2 seconds and that will really mess up the environment.

Yes, but they don't care if you would get squashed. The idea is for all of us to give up our comfortable and safe lifestyle.

not sure it's comfortable or safe to be taking public transport but it sure saves me cash.

Can you explan the xeriscaping? Sounds cool

Where do you purchase the natural soaps? This might be just the thing I need since I have super-duper sensitive skin. You should not be able to have grey hairs,wrinkles and zits at the same time. Cruel, mother nature.Very cruel.

I learned about xeriscaping from the forums at gardenweb.com and from the website www.highcountrygardens.com . It is basically a waterwise garden. As for soaps, I use Dr Bronners and others. You can get it from amazon.com, vitacost.com, and natural food stores.

It is not disrespectful to post on a thread that is for personal opinions, and it could be considered arrogant to treat the poster's opinions the way some have. Just because the poster may disagree with the opinions of you and others does not make him/her disrespectful or arrogant. The "green" movement does not want anyone to disagree with its proponents (kind of scary wouldn't you say?) - but this is America, and we all have a right to free speech and opinions.

Actually, I think it's scary how inciting you and BCS's posts are. No one is infringing on your rights. I have a feeling that the spirit of this thread is to promote environmentalism, not debate. We are on this thread to share productive ideas, not incite like you, too, are. It seems like none of us are twisting anyone's arms.

The environmentalists are fanatical? Surely, you jest. It is fanatical to interject like you two have... with such venomous spirit, I might add.

No, but it does appear that some posters here are unable to handle a differing point of view.

Oh please, dissent is American. I am cool with others having differing points, but to interject how you two have? If you want to espouse the virtues to consume and abuse our environment then how about start your own thread? :idea: Then again with a relatively new username you might just be here to :stir: . Hmmm.

Definitely no argument wanted, but there is a desire to be able to voice a differing point of view. Apparently some would have this poster to just shut up and go away, but it is not going to happen - I will shout from the rooftops if I have to that I will not give up my right to live and enjoy this wonderful life that is available to all Americans, and will not be forced to give up my comfort and pursuit of happiness in this land of the FREE. If America does not wake up soon we will all be citizens of a world we never intended to see. We will be slaves to a lifestyle we never wanted - while the politicians who espouse for us to live "green" lifestyles continue to drive their SUVs and private jets, live in their larger homes and use comfortable air conditioning (don't fool yourselves, they already do) and we will not be able to purchase even the least comfortable vehicles or homes. Our taxes will be too high, food will be scarce, oil will be too expensive.....life as we know it will not exist.

There have only been a few differing points of view from the rest of the posters, but I fear there are many more, who are afraid to express their point of view. This is what it has come down to - people are afraid to express a dissenting opinion to the "green brigades" either on a chat board or in face to face conversation. Wake up, America, this is still the land of the free and the brave. God bless America!!!

Well, yeah, and it is not a bit funny. You should not take it to personally mean you are a communist or an anti-capitalist, nor is anyone on these boards, but the ones who want us all to give up our liberties and join in the lie that is "global warming" may be labeled anti-capitalist and there are organizations who want us to give up our lifestyle, and this should scare every American. They would love to bring our great nation to her knees. While so many people are changing their way of life to suit the desires of these groups of people, there are forces plotting to take away all that we hold dear. Why is that so hard to understand?

Okay, we got it already. You two can continue fighting for your "rights." It's very rude to try to convince us and debate issues that we are already adamant about.

Why is THAT so hard to understand? We are here to discuss budget issues with environmentalism in mind, not debate issues.

Signed,
Living Peacefully on Planet Earth :laughing: :hippie:

Yes, but they don't care if you would get squashed. The idea is for all of us to give up our comfortable and safe lifestyle.

So by going green you are afraid that you will lose your car and air conditioning? How is it making you less safe??? :rotfl2: Going green has nothing to do with that. It is just to use our resources a bit more wisely so there is something left for future generations to enjoy. No one is asking you to give up your civil liberties, just use paper instead of plastic once in awhile. Even your one small but selfish contribution could help. Differences of opinion are what makes the world go round-the world would be a very boring place if we all agreed on everything. However, if you look at the original post, it was asked what you did to promote Earth Day, not to bash it. Weren't you ever taught that if you didn't have something nice to say to not say anything at all?? Or does that take away from your freedom of speech?

Sounds like you and the cigar smoking poster both have a lot of pent up anger-us greenies are peace lovin folks! :hippie: Find something more constructive to do than flame other posters for what they did to actually try to HELP the environment.

As for me:
got rid of one car and carpool instead (did this awhile ago)
reusable grocery bags
non toxic cleaners
organic foods as much as possible
no lawn chemicals
energy efficient appliances that are turned off when not in use

LMAO...seriously...I wasn't aware that using my resuable bags was making me a communist. I'll tell my DEPLOYED SERVING IN THE US MILITARY HUSBAND that he's married to a commie, LMAO.... ;)

OP here. Geez, I don't even know where to start.

I'd like to thank the RACHEL and BCS for interjecting their totally non-relevant opinions to this thread. (sarcasm intended) You have completely turned it into a debate, which was not the intent at all of the thread. The intent was to see what others are doing to help our environment. If you're not doing anything, fine, I really don't care. And don't give me the "I don't value your opinion" card. I do, but not in this thread. I'm not about to try to infringe on your civil liberties. I am a proud American, too, and I would never support any laws that try to take that away. Like I've said before, I'm not a "green extreme" person.

Definitely no argument wanted, but there is a desire to be able to voice a differing point of view. Apparently some would have this poster to just shut up and go away, but it is not going to happen - I will shout from the rooftops if I have to that I will not give up my right to live and enjoy this wonderful life that is available to all Americans, and will not be forced to give up my comfort and pursuit of happiness in this land of the FREE. God bless America!!!

Ok, got it. You're not doing anything to go green because it infringes on your rights. I am hearing you and respect your point of view and am not trying to convince you to go green. Now, back to the original topic, please.

Wow! So interesting that something I considered to be as innocuous as Earth Day could become such a politically-charged debate on a Disney budget forum!

Could we please return to the original intent of this thread, which is "Are you resolving to go GREEN?" Your cooperation is appreciated.

??????? Really this is the most confusing thing I have read in a long time. I am comfortable, very comfortable actually. I am the healthiest I have ever been, and comfortable in my jeans by giving up fast food and over processed foods. I drive the speed limit or under, making me more safe. I am eliminating harmful carcinogenic chemicals in my household, making all my family members more safe.

Really, I learned something a long time ago. Instead of fighting issues with venom, we can sit back and listen, and sometimes learn something new. Don't be afraid of different opinions, diversity is the backbone of America. It's your right to drive whatever you want, eat whatever you want, waste whatever you want. But this thread isn't a argument, but if you are looking to discuss the issue of global warming, take it to the CB, I'll meet you over there friend! ;)

Now, I promise to be good and be OT, does anyone have any recipes for some Vinegar/baking soda cleaners? I use some stuff from the health food store, but really looking for ways to trim my budget. TIA!

Now, I promise to be good and be OT, does anyone have any recipes for some Vinegar/baking soda cleaners? I use some stuff from the health food store, but really looking for ways to trim my budget. TIA!

You'll definitely trim your budget by using vinegar/baking soda over health food store stuff. I don't have a good recipe, though. When cleaning toilets, I just dump a little of each in, let fizz, and then brush. I wonder what else these 2 items can be used to clean? I also clean mirrors and windows w/ vinegar and water, and use straight vinegar to get rid of hard water stains on faucets and the ice dispenser tray on the refrigerator. Just spray or pour on, let sit a minumum of 10 minutes and wipe away!! Too easy and very cheap!

You'll definitely trim your budget by using vinegar/baking soda over health food store stuff. I don't have a good recipe, though. When cleaning toilets, I just dump a little of each in, let fizz, and then brush. I wonder what else these 2 items can be used to clean? I also clean mirrors and windows w/ vinegar and water, and use straight vinegar to get rid of hard water stains on faucets and the ice dispenser tray on the refrigerator. Just spray or pour on, let sit a minumum of 10 minutes and wipe away!! Too easy and very cheap!

Thanks! I checked a book out of the library a while back with a bunch of homemade recipes, but before I knew it, I was owing them money for it laying on the computer desk. Sigh...

I did remember one, buy dried lavender bits, and sprinkle it on carpet, then vacuum. Economical and earth friendly air freshener. Works great with my Dyson! Also lavender oil, drop on lamp bulbs. Tiny drop that is. ;)

We use biodegradable soap, laundry soap, and shampoo.

We have stopped eating premade foods for the most part and don't drink sodas or buy canned foods, but we do have some recyleable products even when buying produce.

I have started using reusable bags.

We rarely eat out anymore, so picking up fast food containers is close to gone for us.

We also eat almost all whole foods. We have cut out 90% of the premade and junk food we used to buy.

DH takes the commuter train to work.

Dawn

I am just wondering why everything that is organic and "green" is so much more expensive? Makes it kinda hard sometimes to switch as much as we want to.

We try our hardest to be as green as we can. We are learning new ways all the time (great thread!). Here are some things my family does....

- my son walks to school
-we just rented a new office for my husband that is only one mile away from home. He loves to ride his bike and will have the chance to do it all the time!
- I only work 5 miles away myself!
-cloth grocery bags! Green Bags rock!
-trip chain as much as possible
-ride bikes to the store (in good weather)
-natural cleaning items
-recycle as much as possible
-shop online
-CFL's
Just a few things that we do!

Anyone set up a backyard habitat? I have two backyard areas, one fenced in and then one to the edge of an irrigation ditch and I'm thinking about making the unfenced one a backyard habitat for all the waterfowl out there (and also then I don't need to worry about mowing it, watering, anything like that).

Maybe part of the fenced one too.

I just came from a Party for the Planet today, and heard someone is capturing the water they let run through the faucet and into the sink while waiting for the tap water to heat up. Anyone else do this? Is it practical?

I'd like to go more green for lawn care too, I currently use Chemlawn cause the yard was in such a state when I bought the house, I didn't know how to handle it. Since this is the year of the frog and I'm worried about the pollutants from the lawn treatments etc, I'd like to get rid of it, but don't know much about green methods for fertilizing lawns, treating weeds. Any suggestions?

I also used Chemlawn, but to be honest with you I thought their treatments didn't really do that much. I compared my yard to my neighbors (that don't treat) and they basically looked the same. I cancelled my contract for this year (largely because we're moving) but I still want my yard to look half decent. I've started just taking a 5 minute stroll each day and pulling a few weeds as I find them. It's amazing what a little here and there does! My yard looks great and I'm not using chemicals or cash to make it happen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter