Are you reconsidering your plans for January & February 2022?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are 65 with a trip planned for the first week in Feb. We have our shots and will not be cancelling. The new variant is producing mild symptoms in people who are vaccinated.

Since this all started, we’ve only canceled one trip to Disneyland in 2020 and that was because it remained closed that year. We replaced it with a trip to Disney World in September 2020. Prior to the pandemic, we had scheduled a trip with our granddaughter in December 2020, which we kept. Our granddaughter had many great memories from that trip. In April 2021, we went to the Flower & Garden Festival. During this time we also made several trips to Houston, visiting our granddaughter. In our November/December trip, we tacked on a DCL cruise out of Galveston. Through this whole period, every Covid test we’ve taken has been negative.

Our next trip is next month for the Arts Festival and we have another cruise with bookend WDW stays in May. We have no plans to cancel or delay any plans.

It took me almost two years to get up the courage to visit Florida again with all the dire warnings coming out of DC. I'm over 65. We visited during Food & Wine in November, walked among at least 8000 unmasked people in EPCOT and flew home exhausted but healthy. I stopped worrying and my BP came back to normal.

Now we have a trip coming up in late January and the warning out of DC are all over again re Omicron. So now in a wait and watch mode. If I cancel, Member Services told me we lose all our points which are booked from 2021 (Feb use year).

For those of you planning a trip soon, are you also in a wait and watch mode or is it just me and my paranoia?

We were there last September/October and felt comfortable and are returning in February. We’re also fully vaxxed/boostered and wear a mask outdoors if in an area where the crowd is thick.

That being said, only you know your personal circumstances as far as your health is concerned. No one should criticize you for whatever you decide.

It took me almost two years to get up the courage to visit Florida again with all the dire warnings coming out of DC. I'm over 65. We visited during Food & Wine in November, walked among at least 8000 unmasked people in EPCOT and flew home exhausted but healthy. I stopped worrying and my BP came back to normal.

Now we have a trip coming up in late January and the warning out of DC are all over again re Omicron. So now in a wait and watch mode. If I cancel, Member Services told me we lose all our points which are booked from 2021 (Feb use year).

For those of you planning a trip soon, are you also in a wait and watch mode or is it just me and my paranoia?
We've stayed at a DVC resort about every 2 months since they reopened in July 2020.

For the first 6 months, COVID precautions were strictly enforced and attendance was greatly limited. Guests visiting WDW during this period seemed to take COVID seriously.

Things started to change in March 2021. I noticed a few other Guests trying all they could to push the limits. For example, pulling their masks below their noises once on the bus.

We were there when Disney eased mask wearing in May. (No masks outdoors.) Most Guests seemed joyous but a few were genuinely angry at Disney for not giving them an advanced warning.

Our most recent trip was 3 weeks ago, just when the first cases of the Omnicron variant were being reported. During that trip, Disney was crowding people on attractions and in lines, the theme parks were crowded, and plenty of Guests were not wearing masks at the DVC resorts while indoors, with a few taking off their masks once seated on the bus.

Most reports are that the Omnicron variant is highly contagious, becoming the dominant strain in just a few weeks. IMO, it's too soon to pull the plug on a late January trip but it is something to be concerned about.

Our next trip is in early March. I have a feeling that Omnicron will be past its peak by then but I will be closely watching.

Last edited:
I understand your concern. We are mid 50s ( boosted) and went back first time since covid in November ( before thanksgiving). We had a great time despite some of the changes. We have another trip booked beginning of March and I don’t want to cancel. Only trouble is my husband got a nasty cold as soon as we got home and is just getting over it weeks later. He was tested and was negative. So he is not anxious to travel, but hopefully by March he will feel more positive about it.

we have a trip planned for Feb. will be watching the case curves carefully. right now they seem to be exploding to the upside with over 20,000 reported yesterday alone in Florida. With 2 small grand daughters too young to be vaccinated and some elderly and immunocompromised family members will be looking to cancel this 31 days out UNLESS things settle down a bunch.

Two types of people in this world: Those who have had Covid and those who are going to get Covid. It's going to be around in some form for a long time. If you accept this, life is much simpler. Unless you have a 2 bedroom at the BCV or BWV in early June I would not cancel. If you do have a reservation, please cancel because I have both waitlisted.

Two types of people in this world: Those who have had Covid and those who are going to get Covid. It's going to be around in some form for a long time. If you accept this, life is much simpler.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct. Between the strains already out there and those yet to come, I suspect almost everyone will have had COVID at least once in their life. At this point, it's really endemic, but they don't want to classify it that way because of the way it spreads.

The good news is that Omicron has overtaken Delta, and it's not really that dangerous. Historically, the longer a virus is around, strains trend toward more contagious / less deadly - this is simply natural selection at work. The more contagious it is and the less likely it is to kill the host, the more it spreads. If you have been vaccinated and boosted, it's very likely that you will not have any symptoms, and those you do will be more along the lines of a mild cold.

The best thing you can do at this point is really to make sure you have your vaccine and booster shots, and live your life.

Having said all of that, it's your choice. If you do not feel safe, you should not go. Don't do anything you do not feel safe doing. But understand it's very likely you will get COVID at some point - just make sure you have your vaccine and booster and it will be mild. Be safe. Protect yourself. But don't live in fear.

I went to WDW in the first 2 weeks of December. It was 3 weeks after the border reopened and just before the emergence of Omicron. I couldn't have traveled before and wouldn't travel now. It was just at the right moment, a Vacation planned in early 2020 🤣, pure luck.
It was great to go back, but by the end of the vacation, especially outside Disney where most people didn't wear masks even indoor, I started to get anxious. Then the requirements for traveling changed: I had to take a test before leaving to go back to the UK. It's a reasonable requirement and yet I didn't even contemplate it could happen.
Being positive would have meant being stranded in the USA, with no friend and having to go into isolation. Would an hotel accept my booking? Would I be able to find something reasonably priced during Christmas week? And what if I got long covid and continue to test positive for months?
Those are the main reasons I wouldn't travel now. Looking backwards, I'm happy I've done it, but it was a bit inconsiderate, I didn't think all the risks, I should have canceled.
For someone traveling within the US those aren't concerns, of course.

BTW I've been pinged today by the Covid app. During the travel back home I've been in contact with someone who later tested positive. I have no symptoms, I'm triple vaccinated and the ping arrived today, after 6 days, meaning that person might not even been contagious at the time. So I shouldn't risk much and yet it's a stark reminder that traveling we expose ourselves to more risks.

we have a trip planned for Feb. will be watching the case curves carefully. right now they seem to be exploding to the upside with over 20,000 reported yesterday alone in Florida. With 2 small grand daughters too young to be vaccinated and some elderly and immunocompromised family members will be looking to cancel this 31 days out UNLESS things settle down a bunch.
My town has about 18,000 people. in CT, which is one of the most vaccinated states in the USA. The Selectwoman today sent out an email announcing that approximately 50 people have Covid over the last two days, mostly students in the school system along with about 6 teachers, with about another 100 isolating. Typically we have 2-3 cases.

My cardiologist said today to not worry, symptoms are mild if you are vaccinated, but if I do cancel, can he go in my place? Always get a doctor with a sense of humor.

We cancelled our Jan 9-16th trip. Omicron definitely part of decision but also reports of abnormally crowded conditions. Just didn’t think it was worth starting our AP. We have another trip planned for late March and may do non-park (which we have kind of wanted to try anyways).

You can rent out your reservation.

I don’t see how you can travel to WDW without significant exposure to people. There are things that would help, like skipping the fireworks and the plane ride. But there’s still the bus ride and the queues and the close dining quarters. And the rides themselves, which churn through thousands of people an hour. In early December, the crowd level was higher than I ever saw it pre-Covid. And the lines might as well have been in 2019.

If it makes you feel better, 70% of those hospitalized are unvaccinated, the other 30% are vaccinated but no booster plus underlying conditions.

im constantly stressed about my parents but…. My mom age 78 came to DW with us recently and was fine—she 6 mo post vaxx and not yet boosted (September).

We will be at WDW for two weeks in Jan and another week at Vero Beach. I still intend to go, no plans to cancel unless they cancel me. We drive so I don't have to worry about the airlines. I will say that I have no desire to fly anywhere anytime soon. The whole airport, airline thing is a total turn off for me.

Starting to get in out of bounds territory. Sorry…closing down the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter