Are you "preparing" for the Bird Flu?

lsyorke said:
Where is this information from? I work in a hospital and none of that is being done.
What is your position in the hospital? It may be going on and you don't know about it yet.

The Federal Reserve Bank and OCC (Office of the Comptroller of the Currency) have directed all banks to take steps to prepare for temporary closings and low staff attendence.

What will be, will be, with this virus, should it morph to humans or not. I'd hope that other employers would be looking at their HR policies to allow us to be paid during work stoppages or illness. Our mortgages will still be due and our bills will still be there even if they arrive late due to postal delays. How many of us can really afford to live on our savings? Sure it's there for times like this, but wouldn't you prefer to keep it there and not have to worry about tapping into it for an emergency?

Like I said before, I think preparedness lies in HR policies more than anything else at this point.

This is important information just in case.

Symptoms of the Bird Flu...

The Center for Disease Control has released a list of symptoms of bird flu. If you experience any of the following, please seek medical treatment immediately:

1. High fever
2. Congestion
3. Nausea
4. Fatigue
5. Aching in the joints
6. An irresistible urge to crap on someone's windshield. :teeth:

I'd hope that other employers would be looking at their HR policies to allow us to be paid during work stoppages or illness. Our mortgages will still be due and our bills will still be there even if they arrive late due to postal delays. How many of us can really afford to live on our savings? Sure it's there for times like this, but wouldn't you prefer to keep it there and not have to worry about tapping into it for an emergency?

If businesses were to slow or stop operations what makes you think that the majority of employers would be able to keep their employees salaries coming? It is our responsibility to plan ahead with adequate savings. Generally in the case of an emergency you can continue to pay only your mortgage interest and put a hold on principal payments for a short time - you might want to check if your mortgage company allows this in a time of crisis.

FullStride said:

The Center for Disease Control has released a list of symptoms of bird flu. If you experience any of the following, please seek medical treatment immediately:

1. High fever
2. Congestion
3. Nausea
4. Fatigue
5. Aching in the joints

Hahahahaha that got my day started off right. :lmao:

poohandwendy said:
No, not at all. I think they are blowing this totally out of proportion.

I agree.kinda reminds me of the Y2K scam...it sells a lot of products.

FullStride said:

1. High fever
2. Congestion
3. Nausea
4. Fatigue
5. Aching in the joints
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

OMG, that is priceless....

I brought this up to my employer this morning as something he needs to think about in the next few weeks. He laughed at me and told me that it was the same thing as Y2K. :confused3

We have field personnel that work in retail areas and we have an office staff of 10. I told him if we have an outbreak and he has not thought of contingency plans, I would be working from home since one of our office employees is a "walking germ factory". This person gets sick at the drop of a hat and has no sense about hygiene when she is ill. Never washes hands, breathes on everyone etc. :crazy2: I have respiratory issues and a simple cold can turn into a nightmare...I can't imagine what the avian flu would do to me. :confused3

I hope we never have to deal with it but if we do, he's on his own. :surfweb: I'll be sitting at home on my laptop.

I would rather be prepared for the avian flu pandemic. After seeing the chaos just in our area and New Orleans due to not preparing for a hurricane can you imagine what it would be like with a pandemic?

I'd rather be thought foolish and be over prepared than not be prepared at all. I guess actually living with Katrina and dealing with the aftermath I see things quite differently.

wovenwonder said:
If businesses were to slow or stop operations what makes you think that the majority of employers would be able to keep their employees salaries coming? It is our responsibility to plan ahead with adequate savings. Generally in the case of an emergency you can continue to pay only your mortgage interest and put a hold on principal payments for a short time - you might want to check if your mortgage company allows this in a time of crisis.
But, if we can confirm that insurances can kick in, or that we can be prepared by finding a rider to our policies that make it possible for people to be paid, it's better than not ever having looked into it at all.

I truly believe that Y2k was a non-event BECAUSE we prepared and not because it wasn't a concern at all. Software programs were not made to transfer dates into another century. We prepared by updating our software, etc., and it made it a non-event.

I think it is irresponsible of "ABC" to be broadcasting the "Bird Flu Pandemic" movie this coming Tuesday! If you think people are freaking now, wait 'til after this movie.

Dateline already did a lengthy segment with a reenactment of what the CDC and WHO are predicting the likely start and effects of the bird flu will be.

debknight said:
I think it is irresponsible of "ABC" to be broadcasting the "Bird Flu Pandemic" movie this coming Tuesday! If you think people are freaking now, wait 'til after this movie.

::yes:: ::yes:: ITA -- nothing like adding to unfounded panic. :sad2:

We're not preparing either, but for anyone who really believes the government will be 100% honest with us, I think you all should go back and read the link from page 1 on the timeline from the 1918 pandemic. I don't think our current government would act any differently today.

For those who missed it though, there was a parade of some sort in San Francisco and the people were all told the epidemic was over and that it was safe to remove the masks. Afterward, 5000 new cases arose in that city alone.

Prior to all this in the timeline, the government denied that it would hit the public sector until so many cases evolved and they had no choice other than to admit it.

I just don't think it's possible to have enough supplies on hand to get thru the time frame that we could be talking here. Look at the timeline from the 1918 pandemic. It lasted for months, not weeks.

I agree about the movie - it is one thing to put out preparedness info and to explore the possibilities in a factual manner. And it is one thing for us to disagree on what we make of the info that has been put out so far. It is quite another to put out an over-the-top alarmist movie. From what I have seen of the previews, anyway, it looks ridiculous. I wonder if there is going to be a shred of fact.....? I worry that too many will only look at this and not seek out any facts.

:wizard:

i have been preparing for a few months,food for atleast 6 months i also have enough of those military meals for another few months if needed(looking at 1918 there were 3 waves of pandemic) i have filters, many cases of water,face masks,a crank radio,cases of candles,non battery flash lights everything i will need for my family of 5.I have talked to friends about the pandemic in the last few months most brush it off,whatever i will be prepared for it or any other emergency and thats all that matters.If i never use the masks or medications then thats just fine by me but god forbid something or anything happens i want my family to have a chance to survive.

We really have not done much to prepare. I am mostly only worried about our children to be honest - especially the 3 month old baby.
I think we will do some preparation now - but I am not going to panic. I do think it is good to discuss with your family what you should do in case it does occur.
DH and I have discussed it and talked about using some of our vacation time up and just stay at home - away from other people as much as possible.

debknight said:

I agree but I'll be watching!! Looks exciting!

Here's what confuses me: How would the flu affect the water supply? Should I have reason to believe that turning on the tap won't work? Same with electricity....

I can understand having food so that you don't have to leave the home but not sure about water/electricity.

Well, I'm going to tinksgirl's house if it does become a pandemic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter