Are YOU prepared for December 21, 2012?

My preparedness plan is to PANIC and raid other more prepared households.

I don't believe the 12/21 deal, I am prepared for a couple weeks power outage, living on the Gulf Coast, Hurricanes happen.

At least tell him to stop with the canned ravioli.;) I mean if I were preparing for the Zombie Apocalpyse there are better choices for canned food & bartering items.

Food would be...
Tuna, salmon, sardines, beans, peanut butter, coffee, sugar, rice, etc...Tell him to lay off the "tomato based" stuff. It does not store well long term.

You want high nutrition, high protein. Canned ravioli is very processed and not very nutritious from a "health" standpoint.

Bartering items would be cigarettes, liquor, and bullets. Then you have the medication & first aid category.

Also innoculations...My dd had to get an Typhoid innoculation for China. So does not take a leap to figure out you need up to date on immunizations (include Hepatitis in there) and in addition you can go get innoculations for Typhoid, Rabies, and a whole host of things. That would be something I would do. Think about it. If the "end of the world" happens disease will spread. Typhoid is from living in less that clean conditions.

Of course the most important item would be clean water. That is our limiting factor for life, right now.

Anyway, at least have a talk with him. At the very least he is having anxiety over this. Maybe you can talk with him and redirect some things.

You seem to know an awful lot about apocalypse prep, is there something you aren't sharing with us? :laughing:

Somewhere in Chef Boy R Dee land, a bunch of marketing executives are sitting around scratching their heads trying to figure out the recent spike in ravioli sales in a certain region. :rotfl:

Me? Perhaps with all this end of the world talk, I should probably wait to start my Christmas shopping until the 20th or even last minute on the 21st. Bet there will be some "World Ending - Everything Must Go" sales. I'm always on the hunt for the ultimate bargin. I mean, who knows if we'll even need gifts by the 22nd? Best pay as little as possible for them just in case.

My cousin is a doomsday-er and is STILL eating his Y2K stash! :rotfl2:

We do keep an emergency kit.....we lived in SoCal through too many earthquakes (including Northridge which left us out of electricity and services for over a week) to not have something prepared.

It did take DH more than 5 years of living in NC before he stopped sleeping with his slippers on the bed next to him, a flashlight on the nightstand, and refuse to put any pictures over the bed.

Dawn

I was prepared for Y2K with my sneakers. At 11:50 I put my sneakers on prepared to run and at midnight I ran down through the trailer park and unplugged everyone's trailers from the power grid! :rotfl2:

We are in a house now. Not prepared. I'd need more than sneakers. I'd need quite a large wire cutter for this one....

As others have said, it's a good idea to be prepared in general. Extra batteries, flashlights, water, etc. There is no where in the United States that can't be hit by some sort of natural disaster in which it would be a good idea to have some of this stuff on hand.

And as long as your husband isn't taking it to the extreme -- bunker building, cache of weapons and thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo, etc., I say leave him be. If it brings him a sense of comfort, so be it.

I work in NYC and after 9/11 I took to carrying an emergency backpack back and forward to work every day. Water, snacks, flashlight, batteries, a radio/CD player with news stations, eye wash, first aid kit, etc. It was like my talisman and it made me feel safe. I was afraid I'd be stuck in my building, on the streets, etc. and would have nothing. Honestly what I was really afraid of was being left alive in a building that had been bombed, etc. and having nothing. :worried::worried: I carried that backpack for months, even out to lunch for the first few weeks or so. Gradually I was able to leave it in the office just as a precaution. And it's still there, under my desk. I'm also the emergency responder for my floor and most of the people on my team know where it is. I've even been called upon to bring it to the building emergency team meetings and show it to others to give them an idea of what they might want to pack in their own emergency bags. I change the perishables and batteries occasionally and it actually came in handy when the east coast lost power after 9/11. I had an extra flashlight and gave to it an elderly woman who was walking down the stairs with a co-worker. She was determined to get home to Brooklyn that day, but had no flashlight to take.

So if it brings him comfort, and he's not going off the deep end by moving the family to the mountains and selling all your belongings, I say let him be. He's just trying to feel like he'll have some sense of control in a completely out of a control situation and providing for his family.

I'm not going to worry about it. I know my parents are stocking up on canned goods but it has nothing to do with the end of the world but more on the idea that food prices are going to skyrocket since we had such a dry summer & the corn didn't do so good.

My DH is a computer person and he had a very good point when Y2K happened...they had already been creating 30 year mortgages in 1970's & they had to deal with the year 2000 at that point. So, he wasn't too concerned as everyone else was that everything would go haywire.

Of course, he is of the mind of "be cautious but don't panic until there is a need to panic"...we have more of a chance of needing supplies from a tornado or bad storm than we do for some end of the world concept.

I've always said that my farm is the ideal place to make a stand during the zombie apocalypse. We're up on a hill with a clear view 360 degrees around us and a flat roof perfect for a sniper perch. Plenty of land for farming and raising livestock. A creek out in the back. We're accepting applications for those who would like to ride out the end of times with us...must be a crack shot or at least REALLY good at reloading a gun, or have some other skill to offer (medical experience? carpentry? whaddya got?)

Apparently, I live in a bubble. This is news to me, lol. Where in the world did this 12-21-2012 date come from??

The key to preparation is making sure you buy things that your family will eat anyway ;).

I just heard this week's On the Media, and they were talking about the lack of media attention to dispelling the end of the world rumors about 12/21/2012.

I have 15 hens at least I will have enough eggs to keep me going though don't stand downwind of me!!!!!!

:rotfl2:

So apparently our digital camera has no battery and no cord. Go figure. Hubby is stockpiling batteries so he must be taking them out of things we actually need!

Is anyone brave enough to let me send a pic of the nonsense going on in the basement from my cell phone to yours? If so, would you post it on here?

Well, im not stock piling but in the event there is some chaos. While everybody is heading to the dried food aisle ill be grabbing female items, baby wipes, toilet paper, and paper towels. I may be hungry and smell like a wolfe under the pits but i'd be dawg gone if south of the equator is not kept fresh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter