• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you planning A Christmas Trip???

VickiVM

DIS Veteran
Last night our family had game night and we watched several home videos of the kids when they were smaller. One of them was of our December 2003 trip to WDW the week of Christmas. I so wanted to be that family again 3 years ago having the absolute best time of our lives. We've been to WDW 8 times total, at various times of the year; but that Christmas week was probably the most magical and special trip for our family. The kids were 5, 7 and 10 and just young enough to still want to hang out with the family.

Now our kids are 8, 10 and almost 13 and I see my oldest separating (in a normal adolescent way) from us. I treasure that trip for many reasons.

So...if you're planning a trip for the Holidays, you're in for a truly lovely and magical time. I'm envious of you, but at the same time happy that WDW can turn a beautiful holiday into a wonderful experience for so many families!!

Enyoy!!

We are going to be there Dec 15-22 and I still consider it a Christmas trip for us since it is the kids Christmas gift and so close to the holiday. It is going to be the first time for our kids (9,7,4)and they have no idea we are going. We are so excited and reading your post makes me smile and look forward to it even more! I hope we have as magical a week as you did!

Allyson

Wow, your first time and it's at Christmas time. You're really setting the bar high!!

You'll have so much fun. This is one of those times of year that you can get your money's worth even if you don't do a lot of ride attractions. You are totally immersed in the holiday spirit. I hope you're staying on site - it just adds even more to the magic. We stayed at Boardwalk. Even saw Gary Sinise (one of the Processional narrators) on our last day.

We typically do more photo's than video's during our vacations, but this time we had a lot of video footage. I'm glad we did because there's a special spark in our kid's eyes at Christmas time anyway, but at WDW - it's priceless!!

Also, it's easy to get into sensory overload. Plan a lot of 'unplanned' time just soaking everything in - passive touring. The kids are so wound up as it is, it's easy to overwhelm them and set them up for meltdowns!

Have fun!!

We are travelling from the Uk (14th - 28th december ) and this will be our first family trip with our boys aged 8 and 10 :)

We have been planning this trip for the last 4 years and promised it as a trip for my oldest son for taking his 11+ exams.

I cant tell you how excited we all are- I really hope it lives up to our expectations!

Thanks, Vicki, for that nice post. We are going 12-12 to 12-20, our first Christmas trip. It's kind of a "Swan Song" for my DD18, who will head off to college next Fall. So I feel your pain on the separation thing! I can barely even think about her leaving.

SO looking forward to this trip!!!

31 DAYS!

electroretro said:
We are travelling from the Uk (14th - 28th december ) and this will be our first family trip with our boys aged 8 and 10 :)

We have been planning this trip for the last 4 years and promised it as a trip for my oldest son for taking his 11+ exams.

I cant tell you how excited we all are- I really hope it lives up to our expectations!

If you've never done Disney at Christmas time, you'll be blown away.

I forgot - my best advice, do everything you feel you must do at the begining
of your trip because the closer to the 25th the crazier it gets. We arrived on the 20th and had every must see/do completed by the 23rd. The 24th we did the CP and opened presents. The 25th essentially cruised the park doing passive touring and left for home on the 26th.

Also, I think we skipped Animal Kingdom (or maybe it wasn't even opened in 2003, don't remember), but having done it already, I would consider skipping it if we ever did Holiday again.

We'll be there Dec 19th - 29th. This will be our second Christmas trip and the 10th trip over the last 10 years

Us Too!! Although we have to wait until next year (2007) for out trip, but that's OK, lots more time to PLAN!!
This will be our first trip to WDW as a family (we've been once or twice on day trips when the kids were very young, while staying with relatives in Orlando) but this will be our first "real" trip.
We will be there from Dec. 2 - 9 at the WL, and then a few more days while staying with the same relatives in Orlando. Our kids will be 10 and 7, and they won't know anything about the trip until we pull into the WL (they will think we are going to Florida to visit our relatives). :cool1:

This is our first family trip and we are going Christmas week too. I know it is a crowded week but we are just going to take everything in stride. That being said my kids are 6 and 9 and I know they are at the perfect age to really enjoy the trip. I am so excited for this trip. Thanks for your nice story Vicki.

My sons and I will be there 12/18-12/25. This will be our second trip at Christmas time. We went last year also. You can't beat the memories! They are priceless!

DH and I went to WDW for the first time at Christmas. We were alot younger and didn't really appreciate it. We are talking about taking a short trip next Dec. with our DD's. I really want to see all the decorations and go to MVMCP. Our youngest will turn 8 while were there. Our oldest will be 17 and one minute she wants to go then the next minute she looks at me like I have 3 heads.

MickiMouth said:
DH and I went to WDW for the first time at Christmas. We were alot younger and didn't really appreciate it. We are talking about taking a short trip next Dec. with our DD's. I really want to see all the decorations and go to MVMCP. Our youngest will turn 8 while were there. Our oldest will be 17 and one minute she wants to go then the next minute she looks at me like I have 3 heads.

If I promise not to look at you funny, will you take me in her place??? :lovestruc

We're going Dec 15 and flying home on the 25th. Our plane lands at 2:30 p.m. so we'll have plenty of time to open presents and have dinner w/grandparents, aunts and uncles.

DH and I went to WDW 15 years ago but this will be the first trip for our boys - 11 & 8. We've done Disneyland with them 4 or 5 times already and spent New Year's there 2 years ago so they are accustomed to the Disney experience. Of course, this trip will be bigger and better than anything we've done (afterall, it is WDW!). Although we did sail on the Magic last year when they did the west coast trips from LA to Mexico.

We're so excited and looking forward to a great time! :banana:

I wish I could go at Christmas time, but I get really stressed out by crowds. I go in regular season or value season, so I have to enjoy Christmas at the Magic Kingdom via all you brave souls who post on the disboards. Thanks, for keeping me going.

MickiMouth said:

My dd17 has turned dd18. My big complaint when she was 17, was that if I made a suggestion to her about one of her myriad of complaints, she would look at me like I just fell from the sky. (sort of a 3 heads kind of thing)

My advice to you, persevere, she will need you again soon, (if only to pay for university)and you know she loves you.

It's amazing, this year at 18 she asks my advice, on friends, boyfriends, school, money...and I think, is this the girl I lived with last year? How could things change so. That's life with a teenager sweetie.

Going December 9-17 and can't wait! This will be our 2nd holiday trip. I can't imagine going the week of the 24/25. I've heard the crowds are horrific. I'm hoping the days we go will favor lite crowds. This will also be our last trip before DD17 goes to college, so it will be a bittersweet but magical trip, I hope.

Hugs,

Chester's Mum said:
I wish I could go at Christmas time, but I get really stressed out by crowds. I go in regular season or value season, so I have to enjoy Christmas at the Magic Kingdom via all you brave souls who post on the disboards. Thanks, for keeping me going.
We're going Dec 16 - 22.
It's Value season and from what I've heard, the crowds won't be too bad, especially for the first few days.

We're going Dec. 11-16, and Universal 17,18th! My boys are 11,9,6 and this will be our 2nd WDW trip, but first time at Christmas time. I CANNOT wait. I KNOW it will be magical! Thanks for your nice post.
Katy :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter