Are You Old Enough to Remember?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
Are you old enough to remember when we used real metal keys to open the door of our hotel room, instead of the plastic key cards we use now?

And do you remember how much a hotel room cost when you were a kid?

My Mom found a letter of mine that I had written to my Dad back when I was around 14-15 years old, when we had gone to Florida with my grandparents and Dad couldn't get vacation time. I wrote and told him we stayed at a Days Inn and our room was $12. :eek:

What else do you remember from "way back when?"

Are you old enough to remember when we used real metal keys to open the door of our hotel room, instead of the plastic key cards we use now?

And do you remember how much a hotel room cost when you were a kid?

My Mom found a letter of mine that I had written to my Dad back when I was around 14-15 years old, when we had gone to Florida with my grandparents and Dad couldn't get vacation time. I wrote and told him we stayed at a Days Inn and our room was $12. :eek:

What else do you remember from "way back when?"

Smokin' relieved stress. :smokin:

You could smoke on planes and in those hotel rooms.
People dressed up to travel.
The house I grew up in cost less than any new car you could buy today.
We had neighborhoods, not HOAs.
Kids played outside - without supervision.
Gas was $.35 per gallon.

Yep...Super 8 Motels were $8. :thumbsup2

The first time I truly felt old was when I told my HS students that 7-11's were named 7-11 because they were open from 7 to 11. I am honestly not sure they believed me! lol

I remember playing outside, and the only cue we had during the weekends and summers that it was time to come in was the porch lights flipping on. That was your cue, "Sorry, gotta go home, mom flipped on the light."

On our first trip to Cincinnati I think I remember it being $12 a night for our hotel. It was the old Travelodge with the orange logo with the sleep walking bear named Sleepy:
3334088922_4b6dc01030.jpg

You could smoke on planes and in those hotel rooms.
People dressed up to travel.
The house I grew up in cost less than any new car you could buy today.
We had neighborhoods, not HOAs.
Kids played outside - without supervision.
Gas was $.35 per gallon.

Gas was even cheaper coz I remember it bein' 21 cents in 1970.

Now, smokin' relieves the stress of affording the cigarettes and knowing what smoking is doing to you ;).

:lmao:

And it's stressful tryin' to find the hideaways they call designated smokin' areas at WDW. :rotfl:

My folks filled the tank of our V-8 station wagon for $4.

We had four TV channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, and the local UHF channel. In a lot of ways this was better than the 300 channels of crap they show today.

The quality of long distance telephone calls was marginal. International calls were almost unintelligible.

We played outside all day long. In canyons, ponds, streams, the street. No adult supervision.

We walked to school every day. Through canyons, ponds, and streams.

We respected authority. Respected our teachers (and they had the authority to discipline us). We never called adults by their first name.

I remember black and white televisions.

I remember when 25 cents would buy you a soda and a candy bar.

I remember my parents moving into a brand new 3 bedroom house in 1961 that they paid cash for--it was a whopping $12,000.

I remember when nobody used credit cards.

I remember my parents moving into a brand new 3 bedroom house in 1961 that they paid cash for--it was a whopping $12,000.

Or when they did it was a huge deal. They had to get out that slider thing then put the carbon in the register and print on it, then have the card holder sign, then complete the purchase. Took forever.

Yes, I remember those hotel keys and the little tags attached that said "drop in any mailbox".

We used to stay at Travelodge and had to come home when the street lights went on, too! And 4 stations on the TV. Until we got SelectTV, one more channel through a little box that sat on top of the TV. :rotfl2:

I remember dresses/skirts being required for girls at my public school in California, and I remember the day they changed the dress code and we all got to come to school in shorts.

Getting little slippers to wear on airplanes, and a menu to choose my meal -- in coach.

My mom's car, with only lap belts in the front, and no seat belts at all in the back. Folding the back seats down in the station wagon and sleeping through road trips in the "way back". I remember holding my infant cousin in my arms in the car! :scared1:

Ice cream for a dime at the local drugstore. Cartoons before the main feature at the movies. I don't really remember the price of gas until I was in high school and it skyrocketed up to a dollar. That was a milestone that had people talking. I do remember being able to put $2 worth in the tank to take my mom's car for a night out with friends, and return it to her with as much gas as when I'd taken it. I remember a first-class stamp being 8 cents.

And I remember when Disneyland was the only Disney park.

I remember buying a slice of pizza and a cup of soda for a quarter... and a comic book for 12 cents.:hippie:

I remember when my sister got the first and only color tv in our family. It cost $1000 dollars which was more than our New York rent back then! :3dglasses

I remember my aunt buying us our first VCR. It cost $500 which was a monthly income back in the day. It had a remote that was attached to the unit and it only turned it on and off. Also, you could only program per day and had to keep it ON the channel you wanted to tape from.:lmao:

I remember the Price is Right selling a Corvette for $4000! :scared1:

I remember moving into a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment in New York for $75 a month.. and we thought we were the JEFFERSONS! "moooving on UP" :dance3:

I remember going to the movies and getting a flyer asking us to Protest Pay TV... which turned out to be HBO. :eek: I signed the petition because NO WAY would I pay for TV! :rolleyes1

We were the last among our friends to get a color TV.

Fifty cents, which I earned by scrubbing the marble steps in front of my grams and aunts houses, got me into the movies, a soda, popcorn and a candy bar.

For a nickle you could fill up a penny bag with candy.

My parents first house cost $4,000. The house they live in now is 4 bedrooms and cost $13,000.

Babysittin' for 50 cents an hour.

:worship: Me too.

We would go down to the "Drug Store" and get a fountain Coke and a package of turtles for .25
My Great G-ma washed dishes at the restaurant down town. Once in a GREAT while we would eat fried catfish there. Whole dinner was 1.99.
Those were the days!

I remember keys (metal) for most of my youth. But then came the "cards" with the holes in them, remember those! They preceded the metallic strip "keys".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter