Are you like us seriously re-considering due to recent events?

I have to disagree. Carnival halted several ships that day and HAL docked in JAX to avoid it. I think others did as well but I haven't dug around enough for the info. Yes, all cruise lines ended up sailing in part of it at some point but THAT DAY (when the Fantasy came back), the other lines chose to inconvenience thousands of passengers rather than sail into that horrific storm. .

Princess and HAL docked at alternate ports. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian kept ships out at sea and cancelled some sailings.

My parents were on the Fantasy. Even after the fact, they were fine with DCLs decision to head through the storm rather than spend another day at sea in rough conditions. Obviously, many passengers were not fine with that decision, but there are 2 sides to the story.

My parents are fine with cruising DCL again. They tried to rebook onboard but ran out of time when the seas got rough. They are hesitant about sailing out of PC, however, but they acknowledge this concern is somewhat phobic because they are concerned about it any time of the year, not just during hurricane season. They have sailed DCL in the Baltic and Coastal CA, with no issues. But both times they sailed from PC, there was an issue. -- Suzanne

Princess and HAL docked at alternate ports. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian kept ships out at sea and cancelled some sailings.

Why are SO many people on this board refusing to acknowledge that basic FACT? I get that they love DCL and will continue to cruise with them, regardless. That's fine. But for everyone to keep saying that the captain didn't know, the storm stalled, Disney is the safest, etc. etc. is just ludicrous.

This is why there is such a rift on this board right now. The people on those DCL ships are rightly upset. During the worst of that storm, DCL sailed them right into it. Sure, it's hurricane season but the other cruise lines re-routed, canceled, etc. to keep their passengers safe and as comfortable as possible. Which is what they ALL promise to do in the event of a storm.

I have been following the threads and feel extremely bad for those on both the Fantasy and the Dream. It sounds like a very scary situation.
I don't know why the decisions were made to sail through the storms but I believe there is a lot that went into the decision that I don't know about. I can understand the Fantasy more since I believe they thought they were following it and when it stalled, it was safer to go forward than try to turn around. But I am having a harder time wrapping my mind around why they sent the Dream back into it (after what had just happened to the Fantasy).

As for why the other ships didn't sail through it, I don't know where they were located in relation to the storm and the Fantasy so there are a number of factors that could explain why one captain made one decision and the other a different one.

I think DCL is taking all the feedback seriously because the one thing I am very sure of is that they did not want to put lives (or their ships) at risk. It is much cheaper to reschedule people by staying at sea than it is to take on multiple lawsuits for negligence and death of their passengers. It is also cheaper to reschedule people than it is to risk damage to the ship and revenue from lost cruises should the Fantasy be taken out of commission.
So I don't believe this was simply a decision about money. But that is just my opinion based on the limited knowledge that I have.

To answer the OPs question...no, we have no plans to change our Fantasy cruise for next year. It wasn't even considered.

We aren't even thinking twice about cruising in January on the Fantasy.

As others have said, I really feel for the people who went through this and are scared right now, but it doesn't have an affect on my desire to cruise with DCL. Somebody made a bad decision out there, I get that. But at the same time, I don't feel like I can base any decision not to cruise with DCL in the future on one bad decision. Obviously if they had a reputation of making these decisions, my answer would be different.

Why are SO many people on this board refusing to acknowledge that basic FACT? I get that they love DCL and will continue to cruise with them, regardless. That's fine. But for everyone to keep saying that the captain didn't know, the storm stalled, Disney is the safest, etc. etc. is just ludicrous.

This is why there is such a rift on this board right now. The people on those DCL ships are rightly upset. During the worst of that storm, DCL sailed them right into it. Sure, it's hurricane season but the other cruise lines re-routed, canceled, etc. to keep their passengers safe and as comfortable as possible. Which is what they ALL promise to do in the event of a storm.

I don't think anyone is denying the fact that other ships made different decisions.

What people disagree on is that this makes it a fact that DCLs decision was wrong. -- Suzanne

I'll still cruise during the fall (Hurricane season). Frankly it is the only time I can afford to. I've seen many comments like "if you don't want an experience like that then don't cruise during hurricane season"... That shouldn't be the case. It is the responsibility of the cruise line and the ship's captain to not sail in conditions like that. If it means you have to miss ports, not sail on time, or not return home on time, then so be it.

The captain made a very poor choice. I have a feeling he will be reprimanded, if he hasn't already been. The good thing here is that this captain has learned a very valuable lesson without having lost any lives. I don't think he'll ever be so cavalier again. At least I would hope not.

Ron

mdsoccermom said:

One of the Carnival ships went through rough weather. Comments concerning the sailing are on their Facebook page.

No.

I feel for all the passengers on the Fantasy and the Dream, I really do.:hug:

We have sailed twice during hurricane season, and I would sail again during hurricane season without hesitation.

We have a cruise booked on the Dream for 2013, that we will change to 2014 when the dates come out, and I would not cancel my cruise because of hurricane Sandy. It's an unfortunate incident, but that won't keep me from cruising, just like when a plane crashes it won't keep me from flying.

And it's just not because it's DCL, I would cruise other cruise lines as well.

I don't want to turn this into an argument, but the issue many have is that it was indeed avoidable. The Fantasy was in in St Thomas, south and east of the storm. It sailed towards the storm and on Friday night, actually caught up with the storm. Yes, perhaps the storm stalled and this wasn't predictible. Yes, perhaps the storm was larger than anticipated. But the issues remains, and the reason many, like myself, have found their faith in Disney shaken, is that it was AVOIDABLE. The storm did not come to Fantasy, Fantasy came to the storm.

Prior to this incident, I would have told friends and family, proudly and with confidence, that they should not worry about cruising during hurricane season (or any season), because the ships will avoid the storms. Here the exact opposite happened, the ship literally sailed into the storm.

The only way to avoid what could happen to you is to hide under your covers for the rest of your life. At that, a tree could fall on your house and still kill you. Nature is unpredictable and nothing in life is guaranteed. Will you live in terror or enjoy life? It's up to each individual.

I don't think anyone is denying the fact that other ships made different decisions.

What people disagree on is that this makes it a fact that DCLs decision was wrong. -- Suzanne

On this thread, yes. On the other one that was closed it was really sad to watch the fears and concerns of the passengers on that ship be dismissed by people who "knew better".

One of the Carnival ships went through rough weather. Comments concerning the sailing are on their Facebook page.

Everyone sailed through some bad weather during the course of this storm. The difference is that they TRIED to avoid it as much as possible. Carnival has at least a dozen ships that were sailing in the affected areas. This is what happened the day DCL sailed through it:

Carnival Dream - arrived a day late in Port Canaveral (one day after DCL pushed through!). Guests on the next cruise will get a six day cruise instead of a seven day and will miss Roatan.

Carnival Ecstasy - arrived a day late in Port Canaveral also. Guests on the next cruise will get a four day instead of a five day and will miss Key West.

Carnival Glory SPED UP and arrived in port ahead of the storm, causing the cruise to be shortened by one day. Next cruise was canceled.

HAL had to go through some SERIOUS gyrations with the Eurodam in order to keep them out of the thick of it. They docked in JAXPORT instead of FLL (they had to dock at an industrial pier since the Eurodam can't fit under the Dames Point bridge), bussed all the pax to FLL for their flights and cars and got all the pax for the next cruise from FLL and bussed them up to JAXPORT.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/News...orm-Sandy.html

The only way to avoid what could happen to you is to hide under your covers for the rest of your life. At that, a tree could fall on your house and still kill you. Nature is unpredictable and nothing in life is guaranteed. Will you live in terror or enjoy life? It's up to each individual.

Actually, I can fairly safely avoid blizzards by moving to St Thomas. And Disney can safely avoid Hurricanes by not sailing into them. You don't have to be mean. But at least try to grasp the basic definition of avoidable.

I think whenever you're cruising you're trusting you life to the company and crew you're sailing with. I trust Disney more that I think I would trust any other company. I'm certain they take their responsibility seriously. But I can understand your fears! A vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing. If you're filled with fear before and during your trip then it's a waste of time and money. I am not considering cancelling our cruise because I feel safe with Disney. While I believe you would be safe on your cruise only you can decide if the fear and distrust will ruin your vacation. I hope whatever you decide that your family finds relaxing, and fun, memory making times together.

A once in a lifetime event will not change my mind to sail DCL. I have been reviewing cruises for 2013 and 2014 and will end up booking the cruise that fits my family's schedule/budget/comfort with weather. If it wasn't for DIS boards I would have no idea about the events that unfolded last week, my wife certainly has no idea - and I'm not going to tell her. Would I cruise during hurricane season - not likely - but if the price/timing was right - maybe - but the decision would not be based on the comments on this board over the last week.

I see the arguments on here to be a little different. Most aren't saying they won't ever cruise because they are afraid of hurricanes or bad weather. What I see most people saying is that they are concerned about a decision to willfully sail into a hurricane. Some think it was bad judgement others think it was bad luck.

We all take calculated risks. I may or may not fly with an airline that had a crash. I would not fly with a pilot that was known to take risks, or with an airline that did not vet their pilots. I fly often even though I know there have been plane crashes.

If you are putting your family on a ship you want confidence that the cruise company and captain are capable and competent.

I cruise in 17 days from Galveston on the Magic. No, I am not canceling my cruise as of now. I admit, though, that I am feeling a bit uneasy and nervous about bad weather after reading all the Fantasy and Dream hurricane experiences. I hadn't really even considered that as an issue before. Like many have said, I had the assumption that DCL would avoid this type of weather.

I will be watching the tropics very closely in the coming weeks. If there is any system that forms that will be anywhere near the GOM or Western Caribbean before I set sail, I will be exploring the option to cancel. I did get 'cancel for any reason' trip insurance. I will not put my myself or my family in such a terrifying situation.

Not going to second-guess what the Captain did or anyone's reaction to the bumpy ride.

Just wanted to point out that cruisers on other lines (including those ships due in PC the same day as the Fantasy that chose to ride out the storm) show the seas being just as rough on the 27th, when they were out at sea. Basically, they got to spend an extra day in the storm that those on the Fantasy did not have to spend.

That does not even include the folks that sailed out of NY harbor on the 28th. Explorer of the Seas (RCI) had windows blown out of the Windjammer Buffet, were told not to drink water out of the taps (bottled water being given out), and were served almost no hot food (basically sandwiches were available) for the first day or so.

Just wanted to point out it was not just DCL going through this storm...it was any cruise line out in the ocean.

Actually, I can fairly safely avoid blizzards by moving to St Thomas. And Disney can safely avoid Hurricanes by not sailing into them. You don't have to be mean. But at least try to grasp the basic definition of avoidable.

Did you see the response a previous poster got from DCL? It said "unavoidable". Funny, those other cruise lines that people trust LESS with their safety were able to avoid it that day. smh

My husband and I had been considering a cruise to celebrate our 15th anniversary next September. The events during Hurricane Sandy have convinced us to go with a land vacation instead. After reading all of the first-hand accounts and watching the video, I have no interest in being on a ship during Hurricane season.

We have a cruise booked on the Fantasy for March, however, and have not even considered cancelling. IMO, DCL is no more likely than any other cruise line to make a bad judgment call or to be caught by surprise when Mother Nature decides to throw everyone for a loop. I agree that, in retrospect, it is clear that DCL made the wrong call last week. What isn't as clear to me is that the decision was wrong given the information that was available at the time. As someone who loves DCL's product, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter