• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you kidding! Wi Fi madness

I love that we can stay in $60 a night Comfort Inns and get free wireless but I pay $260 a night at the BWI and I have to pay for internet.

Forget about wifi for a minute folks, i cant get over the $17,000 price tag!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: What the heck? I honestly didnt believe you, so i went and checked myself....and you were right! $17000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Makes my $12K investment in DVC one of the best decisions I ever made. I get the villas every time and free internet access too! :cool1:

This is something I never understood about Disney. Why charge? I mean, like people have said. Motel 6 and a lot of lesser hotels/motels give it free. They get enough of our money. I know it's a vacation spot. But people still need internet access.

This is not a Disney issue. This is high end hotel vs. lower end hotel. Everywhere I've been the high end shops charge for Internet access and the lower end shops provide it as part of the room fee. Don't ask me why that makes sense but it's true. :confused3

Makes my $12K investment in DVC one of the best decisions I ever made. I get the villas every time and free internet access too! :cool1:

Is it WiFi?

As for bringing a travel router, are they easy to use for a non-techie like me? In a thread I started about bringing my iPad someone suggested the AirPort Express but it's $99. Not sure I want to invest in one just for my Disney trip and then not be able to use it once I get there.

What does that have to do with anything?

It's internet. If I want WiFi I just bring a router. Same as everyone else at Disney who's paying for their internet.

My gosh I was just asking. I mean the topic is about WiFi is it not? :confused3 I thought maybe Disney offered free WiFi to members at the DVC resorts and if they did why not offer it for a fee to other guests and resort wide.

DH usually has to pay for internet when he travels for work in bigger cities so it doesn't surprise me that Disney charges. And they charge for it because people will pay for it. They are still selling out resorts so its not like they need to offer free things to bring in business.

Rekenna said:
You can't even get Wi-Fi at the McDonald's next to the All Star Resorts-come on Disney it's 2011)

Yep, we drove to that McDonald's hoping to connect but no such luck. We ended up going to the McDonald's at the Crossroads shopping plaza near DTD.

I would gladly PAY for WiFi if it were an option. Having wired Internet and bringing your own router is a bit ridiculous. This really is about getting with the times and Disney is lagging behind on this one. We don't even use laptops anymore in our house and had 2 iPhones and an iPad with us.
We made 2 trips to the above mentioned McDonald's because I wasn't wasting vacation time on hunting down WiFi. That said, it would have been nice to online check-in to our flight home since we had no idea the plane had been changed and what chaos it would cause at the airport the next day.. Or to have followed the news about our airline potentially going on strike. We felt VERY out of the loop.

I would gladly PAY for WiFi if it were an option. Having wired Internet and bringing your own router is a bit ridiculous. This really is about getting with the times and Disney is lagging behind on this one.

:thumbsup2 I agree 100%.

Forget about wifi for a minute folks, i cant get over the $17,000 price tag!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: What the heck? I honestly didnt believe you, so i went and checked myself....and you were right! $17000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I know its crazy!

Some wifi factoids:

There is Wifi at Vero Beach resort (horrible reception in some rooms). Free for DVC, but log in process is rediculous...every time you turn your computer or ipod, etc back on again, more code entries.

There is completely free wifi, no codes, no login, no click to accept, at Aulani. Completely free, everywhere, even on the beach.

Many rooms in SSR (and possibly others have jacks but they arent' connected to anything. We had a 2BR a couple years back, and the livingroom had a jack but nothing there. Bedroom had a jack that worked, and the Studio that connected (or maybe it was a lock-off) had a jack...but also didn't work. The inlaws staying in the studio had to come into our bedroom to use a computer. We called Tech and they confirmed. Stay 2br again a year later, different buildin, same problem.

Disney is no different than any high end hotel. ALL high end hotels charge for wifi (or a ethernet plug) and most lower end give it away because they have to.

Higher end hotels dont' give you a free breakfast either.

If someone has a smart phone in your party that supports it, just do what we do. Tether your laptop to your cell-phone and you're good to go.

Most higher end hotels in larger cities charge for internet, free internet is usually only found at chains and interstate motels.

funny you mentioned this. I just read an article on cnn.com about the hotel industry and how the high $$$ hotels charge and the mid/lower end hotels don't. Basically it boiled down to business travelers will most likely expense the cost, and high end locations are not trying to "attract" travelers for internet, but for the other amenities. Personally, I like not having internet once in a while. It forces you to enjoy life away from your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter