Are you good in a crisis?

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
Are you level headed and cool?

Or do you freeze up and not know what to do?

What about those around you - how are they?

Let's hear the stories.

This is kind if my forte at work. When it hits the fan, I'm the one who doesn't wig out. I struggle to stay productive during the slow times though :lmao:

My wife and I work good as a team. Once we were confronted by some thugs. Without hesitation I said. "Hold them off while I run for help". She said " I got your back."

On the serious side once someone at an event had a heart attack. Without thinking I gave him CPR, something I was taught 20 plus years ago previous. Never thought I would use it. Everyone around just looked at him. Sadly he didn't make it. They lost him at the hospital.

There is something to karma. This month last year I suffered a cardiac arrest in a parking lot. Someone out of nowhere shows up and gives me CPR within minutes. Not only did he save my life he saved my sanity. No brain damage.

LEARN CPR !!! IT SAVES LIVES.

I react pretty quickly but get emotional. I once had an elderly woman collapse and when I checked her pulse it was too weak. I told my coworker to call 911 and my friend walked in (hospital worker) who confirmed she couldn't feel it either. When the medics arrived they originally scoffed at my findings. But ultimately they decided it was a true emergency and took her away by ambulance.
Even though I was prepared to do CPR she was still breathing- I just remember wanting to cry because she was some bodies grandma and I didn't want to lose her.

I'm OK - depends on the situation. I handle it much better with strangers than my children. Fortunately DH is fantastic in a crisis. I've been on the scene of a car accident and ran right over to help with the people stuck in the car - knew enough to question the people in the car checking for anything serious and instruct them to stay still until EMS arrived, but when DD fell face first off a six foot snowbank onto a cleared road and mangled her face, I didn't handle it so well. Thankfully DH was there too and he stepped in and took care of her. I hope that if I'm ever alone with the kids and something happens I'll handle things better but I did seem to freeze in that instance. There was just so much blood on her face!

I'm only good in a medical crisis with children when I know I'm their help. Once dd broke her arm in a fall. It was a very bad break (the visual is something I will never forget). I made myself stay calm, get her into the car and to the ER quickly. We walked in and spoke with the triage nurse. My husband was working at that facility so they called him over and the minute I saw him and knew I didn't have to be strong or calm it was all over. I looked at him and said "Ashli broke her ar---mmm". I started crying on the word arm and embarrassed myself big time in front of everyone.

I'm very good during the crisis. It's after the crisis passes that I fall apart.

Extremely good in a crisis I was an EMT for over 20 years, a police dispatcher for several years and an ambulance dispatcher sending teams down to ground zero during 911

I can keep my head in any emergency and go on auto-pilot with my training It's second nature DH is the same way, as we met back in the early 1980's as partners working for a private ambulance company

I think it started as the oldest of 5 kids and the first true emergency I recall was a younger sister cutting her hand rather badly My mother was in a panic flying around like a chicken without a head and somehow I just knew how to take control of the situation

That being said, when the crisis is over and the adrenaline settles I have very often cried over what had happened and even thrown up It's just part of it that's pretty normal and why as first responders and dispatchers we always talk things out and de-stress if we want to keep our sanity

I'm pretty good in a crisis, I think, because I'm naturally bossy. ;)

We had a lockdown at work due to a potential shooter a couple weeks ago. (False alarm we found out later). I had some folks lock the door while I began herding students out of the glassed in area where we were and into a location with real walls. I've had a couple of medical crises at work as well (where someone walks in with an issue) and I get someone to call 911 while I deal with the person.

Are you level headed and cool?

Or do you freeze up and not know what to do?

What about those around you - how are they?

Let's hear the stories.

I'm excellent in a crisis if I can be if use.

I was a life guard as a teenager and had a couple CPR situations, lots of severe asthma attacks, lots of open water and pool rescues and an on deck gang fight involving lots of head trauma (I jumped into the deep end of the pool and threaded water until it was over). I've been first non injured person at many accidents including a traumatic amputation of a motorcyclists leg and a guy driving a tiny car hit by a freight train ( he survived but I did have to hold his scalp on until the ambulance arrived). I keep a unique response kit on my car from my experience. All the stuff I wish I had during one of these events.

I was also in a bank hold up. I'm no hero, nor do I care about the banks money. I made my way under a desk and waited until the police showed up in mass to show my face. I sort if startled them because they thought everyone was out. I was just waiting. I have a few friends that are cops/FBI in the area. They said the video footage was hilarious of me (I never saw it). I identified the risk and my head popped up at one point like a meerkat and then I hid under the desk like it was my hole. 10 cops swept the bank before I came out, I wanted to make sure it was all done. The hold up was over in less than 5 minutes. I was easily under the desk for 25.

My mother is useless in any crisis situation. My husband is "captain-lets not get involved". He does dial 911 very well as I'm talking to people on the side of the road with an overturned car.

It depends a lot on the situation for me. Work related emergencies I can handle pretty well, I think I'm good at identifying the most pressing issue, remaining calm and delegating. If it's a situation that involves me, I'm pretty emotional and will prob do whatever is best and safest for me, and I'm def not one to take risks or play the hero. I'm just happy that I've never been tested in this way, knock on wood!

Because of a family health issue right now, DH and I were recently discussing what we would do if medical emergencies come up. I told him he should assign someone to make medical decisions bc I know that his mother and I would not be emotionally stable to make sensible decisions on his behalf.

Seems like I'm the minority here. I am terrible in a medical crisis. I freeze up and can't think or act without direction. If someone needs assistance performing CPR, I'm your girl- I am trained and carry my certificate. I also am trained to use an AED. But in no way can I take the lead in an emergency.

I am very good in crisis situations, especially medical crises. My mind blanks out on everything around me and I get tunnel vision for the situation. I come from a long line of medical personnel and it's just natural instinct. I tend to fall apart and let emotions take over once the situation has been resolved.

DH is great in all areas of a crisis EXCEPT for medical trauma. He does everything you are not supposed to do, loses his mind, and makes it harder for those of us who do have the knowledge and experience. If something happens that will necessitate first aid, I am immediately yelling at him to get out of the way and not to speak.

I am good in crisis mode.

I am rather not good in things that aren't a crisis but I behave as though they are. lol

In crisis mode, I kind of go on autopilot and any panic I have is very brief so that methodical me can take over.

My best example was when my then 7 or 8 month old began choking.
I have been CPR/First Aid certified before (though it had lapsed)--but I didn't freak, just went on auto-pilot. I realized very quickly that success wasn't happening and instructed my husband to call 911. Now, he is used to me in the fake crisis panic mode, so he didn't get why he needed to call. So I barked orders. As he picked up the phone, heimlich was still not working--and though the finger swipe has been pulled out of the procedure, I looked and saw something and went ahead and did a finger swipe. She wasn't going to make it for an ambulance if I didn't. I got the object and it was a piece of plastic film. She could breathe. I still didn't freak, but then my brain went through the what ifs. The I gave my husband a mini-lecture on calling 911 when instructed the next time and not to question the person requesting it.

Back story--we were trying to beat a snow storm and were rushing through presents on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas day so that we could leave hours earlier than planned. We were doing our best to clean up and my baby just got to a piece of plastic film from something before we did. I'm just glad I was there and I knew what to do. I have since updated my certification.

It depends a lot on the situation for me. Work related emergencies I can handle pretty well, I think I'm good at identifying the most pressing issue, remaining calm and delegating. If it's a situation that involves me, I'm pretty emotional and will prob do whatever is best and safest for me, and I'm def not one to take risks or play the hero. I'm just happy that I've never been tested in this way, knock on wood!

Because of a family health issue right now, DH and I were recently discussing what we would do if medical emergencies come up. I told him he should assign someone to make medical decisions bc I know that his mother and I would not be emotionally stable to make sensible decisions on his behalf.

First I am sorry your family is going through something right now but I have to say a few things Get your wishes/your husbands wishes in writing...NOW

When my Dad had a heart attack going on 14 years ago everyone was an emotional mess, I knew what he wanted but nothing was in writing They never could stabilize his vital signs and it was a roller coaster for 2 days

Thank God compassionate doctors and nurses at the time ....even though there was no DNR ( do not resuscitate orders ) and they had to respond let him go when the time came My heart was breaking but I demanded that the family listen to the doctors and face reality and he went peacefully ( and of course I fell apart after the fact )

Don't leave anything to chance make decisions while you can

I'm only good in a medical crisis with children when I know I'm their help. Once dd broke her arm in a fall. It was a very bad break (the visual is something I will never forget). I made myself stay calm, get her into the car and to the ER quickly. We walked in and spoke with the triage nurse. My husband was working at that facility so they called him over and the minute I saw him and knew I didn't have to be strong or calm it was all over. I looked at him and said "Ashli broke her ar---mmm". I started crying on the word arm and embarrassed myself big time in front of everyone.

I'm the same way! If there's someone else there that I can rely on, I freeze and then pass out. If I know I'm all they have, then I can usually keep a grip until someone else comes to take over for me.

DH is fantastic - he stays calm and approaches everything very methodically just taking care of whatever comes next.

Excellent in a crisis.

However, if there is pre-thought about it all - I am not. I don't know if that makes sense.

When the stress/crisis comes, in the moment, I am a powerhouse but I can make up way too many stories ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter