Are you gonna eat that!? Our DDP reviews from 8.5-8.11

disneykate28

Mouseketeer
So, this is my first EVER dining report! I hope you will find it informative even though it's lacking photos! Next time I am in the World, I will be sure to take pictures of our food. :rolleyes:

The Cast of Our Trip:

:earsgirl: Me - 26, a Disney lover, somewhere around my 15th trip. This was my first trip with someone other than a family member and my first experience with choosing ADRs and the DDP. I'm slightly neurotic about planning & this trip was no exception! I like spicy foods, a good steak and a glass of wine, almost any dessert, NO SEAFOOD! :scared:

:earsboy: DBF- 25, a first timer, but he knows all the words to the Lion King soundtrack. :hug: Much more laidback than I am and allowed ME to make (and change, repeatedly :rolleyes1 ) all the ADRs. He's a go with the flow kinda guy who enjoys steak, Mexican food, pizza...obsessed with finding the perfect churro. :rotfl:

As we are in our mid-20s, we don't get to eat at a LOT of nice restaurants though we'd like to make it a point to. At home, we're content to eat Chipotle or order a pizza. Our "best meal ever" was Chateaubriand for two from Delmonico's restaurant in the Venetian in Vegas. We love to watch food shows (Iron Chef/Top Chef) but neither of us can cook! Anyway, that gives you some idea of what we're working with.

To Be Reviewed:

Table Service

- Wolfgang Puck Cafe
- Le Cellier
- Kona Cafe
- Mama Melrose (Fantasmic Package)
- California Grill

Counter Service
- Tusker House
- Sunshine Seasons
- MK Bakery
- Pinocchio Village Haus
- Pop Century Food Court
- Cantina de San Angel
- Flame Tree BBQ
- Pecos Bill's

Day 1: AK, Tusker House & Wolfgang Puck

We arrived at MCO at 10:30am & ended up at AK around 1pm. Since we'd been up since 4:30am, both of us were famished! I had heard good things about Tusker House so we decided to give it a try. This was our first use of the DDP. I had the turkey wrap with corn chowder- I enjoyed the chowder a lot more than the wrap, which seemed very bland to me. The chowder, however, was thick and creamy & delicious and had lots of veggies in it! I ate most of it, despite the fact that it was in the 90s outside! DBF had the fried chicken sandwich with apple slices and he enjoyed it. It's too bad that this place will soon become a buffet.

After touring AK, we hopped a bus to SSR around 6:30pm. I had read on the Dis that it would be fairly simple to walk from there to DTD, where we had a 7:30pm ADR at WP Cafe. Boy, was I wrong! When we got there, we realized how huge the resort was. The bus driver was unable to tell us where we should get off the bus to get to DTD and no one at the resort was able to articulate it either!! We walked around aimlessly, finally seeing that there was a boat to take us to DTD but unable to find the launch. By the time we FINALLY reached DTD (by bus), it was almost 9pm! I was worried that our ADR would be lost or canceled. The hostess was very understanding of our confusion :confused3 and had us seated right away, despite the crowds.

:earsgirl: I ordered:
- butternut squash soup
- pumpkin ravioli
- peach bread pudding

:earsboy: DBF ordered:
- spinach artichoke dip
- spicy chicken penne
- vanilla creme brulee

The ONLY thing we enjoyed about this dining experience was dessert! Both were DELICIOUS, especially my bread pudding. It was moist and thick and very comforting, with big peach pieces in it. DBF enjoyed his first creme brulee and declared that it reminded him of "rice krispy treats"! :laughing: Neither of the appetizers had much appeal- I expected the soup to have a richer flavor but it was very flat and boring. DBF's dip was just...gross and gloopy and the chips to dip into it were not good for scooping such a heavy dip. The pumpkin ravioli was good but much too much for an entire meal- I would have preferred this as an appetizer. Both of us agreed that DBF's pasta sauce was like soup and lacked flavor.

The service at this restaurant was so-so. They DID get us a seat right away despite our little mix-up. Our server wasn't the most attentive we dealt with on this trip but the restaurant was MOBBED. I wondered if it had anything to do with our being on the DDP but I believe she was just THAT busy.

Overall impressions:
Quality of Food: C- (except for dessert!)
Quality of Service: B-

Next up: Day 2, Sunshine Seasons breakfast, Le Cellier dinner! :woohoo:

Great start! I am looking forward to the continuation! :thumbsup2

I think WGP is one of those places you either really like or don't. We have never been impressed by service or food and just crossed them off our list months ago. And I know others locally who think the same as I. Every now and then I talk to someone who loves WGP. So maybe at best they are a hit or miss.
Although we do fine at the WGP express service in the Marketplace. It's not outstanding. But for the service and price it ain't bad.

I'm sorry you didn't like Wolfgang Puck so much. I had the pumpkin ravioli when I ate there, and I agree it was good, but a very large serving. Wasn't the bread basket wonderful there though? I eat there again next month.

So I forgot to mention that I am a teacher on summer break. To me, the World is ALWAYS a vacation despite the heat, lines, etc. DBF, on the other hand, didn't really know what to expect from this trip. He hasn't been on many vacations (other than Las Vegas) and expected to spend a lot of time by the pool, sleeping in, etc etc. Boy, was he wrong! ;)

The morning of Day 2, we got up early to head over to Epcot. I knew we needed to get Fastpasses for Soarin' early! While we were at the Land Pavilion we decided to check out breakfast at Sunshine Seasons.

We're not used to eating a lot and we wanted to make sure we got to enjoy dinner (& our stomachs! :lmao:) to its fullest so we decided that we would use a CS daily to split breakfast & another to split lunch. This ended up being a GREAT plan for us & we never went hungry with all of the food the DDP provides anyway.

So, back to the Sunshine Seasons. We split the adult breakfast platter: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and a biscuit. We would NEVER have been able to eat that much by ourselves! This was a great breakfast- the food seemed fresher than some of the other <cough: Pop Century> breakfasts we would eat later in the trip. Everything was edible & delicious and seasoned well. We liked this meal so much & felt it was a good value that we came back here later in the trip for lunch.

That evening, we had a 7:40pm ADR at Le Cellier! This was the first ressie I made after learning about the Dis, ADRs, the DDP, etc. I booked it even before we had booked our vacation. Needless to say, I was hoping for a good meal. Le Cellier delivered! :thumbsup2

We arrived around 7:20pm and were informed that we would have to wait until our reservation time. Not 2 minutes later, the hostess approached us to say, "your table is ready!" This ended up being some great pixie dust- we left the restaurant at 8:55pm and were able to grab a great spot for viewing Illuminations!

:earsgirl::
- cheddar cheese soup
- maple bbq filet
- duo of creme brulee

:earsboy::
- duck two ways
- mushroom filet
- cherry shortcake with lavender ice cream

We could not have been more pleased with this dinner! I KNOW DBF was skeptical about Disney dining, especially after our first night fiasco. This dinner made him a believer in all things WDW! In fact, he told me that Le Cellier's was the best steak he had ever eaten! I have to agree with him. I would have paid for more room in my stomach for this delicious meal! The filets were cooked perfectly and were beautifully tender. I am salivating just thinking about it. We both loved the duck- it was DBF's first time eating it, my second (the first time was when I was in Paris & I did NOT like it.) The soup was good, especially with the pretzel bread dipped in it, but I don't think I loved it as much as everyone here seems to. I might order it again but I think I might try something else next time. I will definitely order the filet again! The desserts were both tasty & I *managed* to find room for the whole thing...:cheer2:

For us, Le Cellier lives up to the hype! We loved our server, our food, the wine, the experience. Everytime we passed by Le Cellier, DBF asked me to see if we could eat there again! He has requested TWO ADRs for our next trip (Ohhhh, you want to go on another trip? :idea: ) We wouldn't be surprised if this became a 2 TS dining experience.

Overall Impressions
A+ all around from us! :dance3:

Here's a picture of DBF standing next to his favorite restaurant.
disneyworld8507-811.07084.jpg

Doing my best to write this whole report today...school starts in just a couple of weeks & there's a LOT to get done!

The breakfast/lunch sharing thing worked really well for us on Day 2 so we continued the trend on Day 3 at MK. First stop: Main Street Bakery!
I can't tell you what a deal that was for CS! With our credit, DBF was able to have a breakfast croissant (egg, ham & cheese) & I got french toast loaf! We also split some oj.

French toast loaf....mmmmmmmm. I had read about it on the board & it seemed right up my alley. ::yes:: It was. Warm & thick & yummy with maple syrup. DBF agreed. We both liked his croissant as well. This was the best breakfast we had on our trip. The line was long but the service was good & the CMs were patient & helpful as our eyes passed over all the tasty goodies we could choose from. :hyper: We left feeling full and ready for a long (HOT) day of walking around MK.

Later on we stopped at Pinocchio Village Haus for lunch. This place was PACKED! Maybe because it's in Fantasyland? All I know is that tables were coveted here and lines were loooooooooooong. DBF & I split the turkey panini combo with apples & strawberry shortcake. DBF liked the panini a LOT...I liked it. I would have traded this meal for a Casey's hot dog. :ssst:

We managed to stick out the heat ALL day at MK & so we arrived at the Poly that night nice & sweaty. The trip to & from Pop to shower just wasn't worth it, especially since we felt gross immediately after walking out of our resort room! I was a little concerned about our appearance but decided just to enjoy being on vacation despite my messy hair.

*Sidenote: originally I had booked an ADR for Alfredo's. I remembered eating there as a kid so I thought we should continue the tradition. Later, I changed that reservation to one at Spoodles. LATER, I read some not-so-great reviews about Spoodles. With the help of fellow Dis'ers, we came upon the lovely Kona. Thanks, guys!!*

As usual, we were seated almost immediately. We were shown all of the lovely desserts & seated at a cute little table near the front of the restaurant. Both DBF & I ordered a Lapu Lapu (DBF loved that he could order a fru fru drink at the World without getting any questioning glances!) Hello, Lapu Lapu! puckerup: It definitely seemed strong & we were feeling good & ready to eat.

:earsgirl:
- crab cakes (my exception to not liking seafood)
- char crusted filet mignon
- kilauea torte

:earsboy::
- duck potstickers
- beef teriyaki
- caramel banana creme brulee

DBF did not care for the crab cakes but enjoyed everything else we ate this evening. I thought my filet was the 2nd best we ate on our trip! The beef teriyaki was excellent as well. I also really liked my dessert though it was WAY too rich to finish the whole thing! The caramel banana creme brulee was good & reminded me of bananas foster....:cloud9: Oh, & I can't forget the bread with macadamia nut honey butter! Mmmmmm :dancer:

After our dinner, we walked around the Poly since neither of us had ever been there. We swung on a swing on the beach & kicked our feet around in the sand a little before boarding the boat back to MK. DBF liked the atmosphere at this resort a lot & said he'd like to stay here sometime. Ok by me! :thumbsup2

Overall Impressions
B+ all around- our server was very nice but not as friendly & engaging as Le Cellier's

Here are some pictures from Kona:
disneyworld8507-811.07030.jpg

disneyworld8507-811.07032.jpg
[/IMG]

Next up: Day 4, Pop Century breakfast, Mama Melrose Fantasmic package

Wonderful reviews! :thumbsup2 I'm sorry you weren't that happy with Wolfgangs. This is one of our "iffy" ressies. We may cancel and go to Fulton's again.

Looking forward to reading more reviews.

You are an absolutely adorable couple and obviously a lot of fun! Keep those wonderful reviews coming - we're making ADRs for our trip in October and need some recent reviews. Yum!! P.S. Le Cellier is one of my favorite restaurants, along with Kona.

Great reviews!
I am beginning to see a pair of mouse ears on your DBF head.... ;) If they aren't there by the end of this trip -- they are bound to be by the end of the next! :rotfl2:

Day 4 was our most magical pixiedust: though MGM is my least favorite of the parks overall. By this time, DBF was really buying into the Disney vacation & didn't argue tooooooo much when I made him answer the Stitch wakeup calls at the crack of dawn! :stitch:

We decided it would be easiest to grab breakfast at the Pop food court before heading over to MGM. I grabbed a table (breakfast is busy at Pop!) & he came back with a less than thrilled look on his face. "This was the most edible looking meal they had," he said. I am fairly certain that what we ate that morning was intended to be french toast & sausage? I can't even remember anymore- it was THAT BAD. :confused3 I think we'll just leave it at that. Anyway, on with the show!

We got to MGM & I decided that I needed to take our picture in front of the sorcerer's hat (which, by the way, I do not like as much as the Chinese Theater.) I grabbed a CM who politely snapped a photo. We then proceeded to grab a FP for RnRC & then went on a journey to find the backlot tour.
Along the way to the backlot tour, we saw the same CM who had taken our picture. "Hey! I was looking for you guys!" We stopped & chatted with him for a moment, asking him how to get to the tour. He mentioned that it was starting to approach lunchtime & he asked if we were hungry. We told him that we had a late lunch ADR at MM. Sooooo, he said, "Well, it's hot outside! Do you like ice cream?" and he walked us over to the ice cream cart & bought us some ice cream! It was our mini-dream come true! Kirk made our less than stellar breakfast seem like a distant memory as we snacked on cookie sandwiches and strawberry bars. :mickeybar

:offtopic: We finally got to the backlot tour & were still giddy from our ice cream dream. The CM there greeted us & I told him what a hard time we'd had finding him! "I'll make it up to you," he said. "You're going to be part of the show!" I, of course, knew what this meant but DBF did NOT! :lmao: We donned our rain gear & completed our "secret boat mission" complete with water bombs, etc. Here we are with Eddie, my new favorite CM!

disneyworld8507-811.07059.jpg

Getting wet wasn't so bad- it was a hot day at MGM. Around 3:20pm, we went over to cool off & wait for our 3:40 ADR at Mama Melrose. I would have preferred to take DBF to Prime Time or Sci Fi simply for the theming but I knew he wouldn't want to wait forever for Fantasmic & I really wanted him to see it. We booked the Package & I debated canceling it all the way up to our departure date. I'm glad we didn't!

We got seated fairly quickly at MM while many guests without ADRs were approaching the hostess, who quickly turned them away. I can't recall the name of our server but she seemed less than enthused to be serving at the World. More on that later....

:earsgirl::
- mozzarella and tomatoes
- wood grilled chicken pasta
- tiramisu

:earsboy:
- artisan breads and spreads
- spicy italian sausage pasta
- warm chocolate truffle cake

Our server took a while to bring us our drinks & appetizers. The mozzarella & tomatoes arrived first. I had hoped to put them ON some of the bread but it just wasn't arriving! :confused3 It's kinda hard to mess up cheese & tomatoes so I enjoyed this one a lot! DBF liked the sun dried tomato spread on his bread but he wasn't raving about the pesto or veggie spread. He didn't care for his pasta either whereas I really liked mine! I loved the chicken with the peas & artichokes & the sauce wasn't as heavy as I anticipated. :thumbsup2 from me, :snooty: from DBF.
We were in the middle of eating our entrees when a large group (about 20 or so) came into MM & sat across from us. Our server started griping about this right in front of us! She commented multiple times about the children & how she hated "babysitting" & how difficult the group was to deal with. She started pushing us along at this point because "I can't give you any attention while THEY are here." I kid you not. UN-DISNEY service at its best! :stir:

I won't comment on the desserts as they were pretty unmemorable. I was ready to get out of there at this point & DBF had a stomach ache.

Overall Impressions
Quality of food: DBF says C, I give it B-
Quality of service: D- who needs a cranky server?

In hindsight, I'm glad we decided to do the Fantasmic package. When we arrived at Fantasmic about 75 minutes early, the amphitheater was already packed! :eek: We were one of the first groups to sit in the reserved seating and chose to sit near the top so I could be close to the pathway out. I HATE crowds & fear being trampled...I can't even tell you the anxiety I felt sitting there. What was worse was the complete and utter disrespect of some guests who disregarded the CMs telling them that the section was reserved. They would simply walk past them, run past when the CMs turned around, crawl under the ropes, etc. I can't believe what these people are teaching their kids! The CMs actually had to go RUNNING after these people! They should be ashamed. :confused3 I'm not saying this because I got the privilege of being in a "reserved" section but, as a teacher, I see disrespect & disregard for the rules becoming a bigger & bigger problem. UGH. It was just nasty. Anyway, here's the amphitheater about 15 minutes before the show started.

disneyworld8507-811.07069.jpg

Next up: Day 5, Sunshine Seasons lunch, Cantina de San Angel dinner!

Wasn't the bread basket wonderful there though?

I didn't get a chance to try it! I was worried I wouldn't have enough room for my pasta! :cutie:

This is one of our "iffy" ressies. We may cancel and go to Fulton's again.

For us, it wasn't a great experience...if you KNOW you enjoy Fulton's, I say go with it!

You are an absolutely adorable couple and obviously a lot of fun!

Why thank you very much! We like to think we are pretty fun- want to come over for game night? :lmao:

Great reviews!
I am beginning to see a pair of mouse ears on your DBF head.... ;) If they aren't there by the end of this trip -- they are bound to be by the end of the next! :rotfl2:

Anything is possible....

Thanks for reading, everyone! I'm glad I can share our experiences with people who love WDW as much as I do. :flower3:

I am really enjoying your great reviews. And I agree, you and your DBF are so cute together. :goodvibes

Thanks for taking the time to post these great reviews! I was a teacher so I know how busy you are right now.

I enjoy reading your review!

I agree with you about parents teaching their children to disobey the rules. It drives me nuts when I see that as well! My poor son is always the one sitting on the sidelines saying "well those kids are doing it, why can't I?"

It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong when in reality, its those other people! :scared:

Anyway... I'm enjoying your review and look forward to more! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter