• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you going to sell your SUV?

We have 2 Ford Expeditions. 1 paid off for more than a year now and 1 that is about 18months old. Instead of selling the new one b/c we are upside down on the loan we just bought a used 2000 Honda Civic Hatchback. So, I use the civic for running around town and the Expedition for times when we need to haul around lots of kids. We might sell the older expedition but we wouldn't get a lot for it.

An Expedition is what we traded. I am really surprised at the SUVs that get around 18MPG, according to some of the posters. The Expedition must be in the lowest range as mine averaged 11MPG. While trading to a mini van is not moving up to a super gas efficient vehicle, the increase to approx. 18-20MPG will make a big difference.

Of course this only made sense with no "upside-downess" and it would not make since, in most cases, to trade in a fully paid off vehicle just to save 6MPG.

When we bought our Toyota last weekend, 4 other hybrids were sold that day. They had no hybrids left on the lot so we are actually waiting on ours with the color and package DH wanted to come in. He said the next 16 Prius were already sold, they get really good mileage and are surprising roomy inside. DH wanted a larger car so we went with the Camry. My problem was buying a foreign car, but when we went to the Ford dealer (my Windstar in is for yet another 2000.00 repair). The car salesman is saying how great the engine is in the Edge because it's like the Mercedes? He said most American cars are mostly foreign parts, Saturn basically said the same thing. I will never buy another Windstar it's too bad on repairs (total over 6000.00 in 3 years) and it only has 92,000 on it.

Keeping ours. It's paid off. Can't justify another payment. Did the math and it doesn't turn out cheaper. I have though started to consolidate errands. I only work 15 minutes from the house 3 days a week. The rest is taking kids to school and errands. We use it for our boat too. For longer drives we squeeze into DH's extended cab Ford Ranger. Not real comfy for the kids, but hey they're kids.

BTW, I heard an analyst saying that by 2012 gas could be $8.00 a gallon. What do ya'll think? Things may really have to be reevaluated if that happens.

No, we're keeping our Suburban also. It's really DH's car and Dh walks to work so the Suburban isn't driven on a daily basis, but it's especially nice for road trips, so will still pay for the gas for those.

We own two other cars, a Taurus that I hope to trade in on a hybrid (waiting for more info on the 2009 Prius) within the next year or so and a Mazda Miata. I am driving the Miata more when it's just me as it gets 27-30 mpg. When I've got the kids I drive the Taurus, I do most of the driving in our family and I'm a SAHM, but I drop off/pick up kids from school (less than a mile away), run the errands etc. Luckily we don't have much of a commute to anywhere.

If gas goes to $8/gallon I may start walking the kids to school!

You know the Hybrid Escape gets really good reviews, and I like the idea, but honestly until they find a way around the battery problem (multiple batteries and if one goes you have to replace ALL of them making a battery change on par cost wise with a new engine or transmission), I can't see buying a hybrid. My Escape gets about 18 in city and 22 on highway. It's about to be paid off and I've consisered buying a small used car to toodle around in, but by the time I save up to pay cash I'm not sure it'll be fesible (buying one on credit would pretty much negate any gas savings).

I really like my Escape, it's front wheel drive, it handles like a car not a land boat, it's got just enough room for 5 plus luggage in the back, and it's just high enough that I don't feel like I'm scraping my bottom on the road.

I'm going to keep mine, at least for now.

When we bought our Toyota last weekend, 4 other hybrids were sold that day. They had no hybrids left on the lot so we are actually waiting on ours with the color and package DH wanted to come in. He said the next 16 Prius were already sold, they get really good mileage and are surprising roomy inside. DH wanted a larger car so we went with the Camry. My problem was buying a foreign car, but when we went to the Ford dealer (my Windstar in is for yet another 2000.00 repair). The car salesman is saying how great the engine is in the Edge because it's like the Mercedes? He said most American cars are mostly foreign parts, Saturn basically said the same thing. I will never buy another Windstar it's too bad on repairs (total over 6000.00 in 3 years) and it only has 92,000 on it.

That is a bummer on the Windstar repairs! Mine had about $2000.00 of repairs in the 6 years that I owned it but when it decided to die, it died in a big way! Could have been repaired but the repair would have cost more than the car was worth.:upsidedow

DH only wants Fords but he recently test drove the Prius. He really loved it but it was not practical for a Realtor who often needs to put multiple clients in his car. He settled for the Mercury Milan. Decent gas mileage, nice look, etc.

Many in our community of ethically offended by the giant SUVs (not us, no flames please) so he needed a car that was practical and comfortable. We can still pull our camper behind a van. The Expedition got about 7MPG when it was pulling the camper but the van wont be too much better.

Our biggest gas guzzler is our houseboat. That sucker will be sitting in its marina slip most of the summer!

I don't have an SUV.

I replaced my Oldsmobile Silhouette van with a Honda Odyssey in November.
Only regret is the gas mileage situation. The window sticker on the Honda said 18/25 and that's the same as my Olds had when I bought it.

The Honda gets 17 in a normal week where my Olds got 21. DH says the Honda must have a bigger engine? It kills me to be buying gas so much more frequently, esp now with the rates so high.

DH and I both drive full sized pickups. He has a 3/4 ton Chevy and I have a 1/2 ton Ford. Both are extended cabs/four doors and both are paid for. Oh, and we also have a Jeep Wrangler, but it gets way worse gas mileage than either of the trucks. :confused3 We won't be trading them in for smaller vehicles, but might consider trading the Jeep for a Harley. :rotfl: DH only drives eight miles round trip to work, and only works 15 days a month, so a tank of gas will last him three months. I don't work but I do put 20,000 miles a year on my truck. I love driving a full sized truck and it'll take much higher gas than $4.00 a gallon to pry me out of my truck. I'd rather cut back on my driving than get rid of my truck.

Nope. We tow a pop up camper with ours and I'm not giving up our family camping trips.

We have a pop up that we tow with our Suburban. Since gas is so expensive we go camping at the lake - 30 minutes from home. It might only be 30 minutes down the road but its a great little family vacation. :thumbsup2

Keeping mine as well. I actually just sold my 03 Trailblazer and got an 08 Aspen. They get about the same gas mileage. My DH and I communte to work together - about 25 miles roundtrip 4 times a week, so his truck sits in the garage most of the week. He has a 2004 3/4 ton Silverado that we originally bought to tow the camper. With a seasonal now, we will probably get rid of his and get a smaller pick-up but like others have said, it's paid for. DH fills up his tank maybe twice a month if he's lucky and I fill up my tank about once a week so it's not too bad - yet!

We've never owned an SUV, but we just had to replace our old Ford Taurus. We have a minivan and a third baby on the way. I'm pretty sure we looked at each and every crossover/suv available. We ended up making our decision largely based on gas mileage. We decided to forego the larger vehicles and get a Dodge Caliber. I haven't driven my minivan since we got that, and we're averaging over 30mpg on the highway. Not too shabby!

Now that caught my eye....our taurus wagon died and I got a Caliber as well...getting 34 mpg combined driving (even after I flashed my engine with an upgraded performance program....the pickup is much better)...great car in the snow....and has heat..unlike the taurus

Keeping my Chevy Tahoe. WI winters can be brutal and I need the 4 wheel drive. Dh drives a company car, so we are fortunate to have only one payment.

I love my Honda Pilot too much to replace it. Even if gas gets up to $4/gallon, it's just not a large enough percentage of my total household expenses to make such a drastic change.

Can't really applaud myself as I saw this coming back in January and traded my Jeep Cherokee for a 08 Nissan Versa to get back and forth to work in While my wife drives our Acura MDX. It's not the greatest on gas milage (avg. 18) but we don't use it that often

Nope, I love my Trailblazer. I drove a small "box"car for 30 years, now it's time for comfort.

Keeping my Ford Explorer untill gas prices drop some and then trade it in for a crossover or back to a new explorer. WE have a few we want to test drive.
:)

We got rid of our 03 Explorer back in March and went with a Dodge Charger. Explorer had 100,000 miles on it and was getting around 16 mpg. Now the Charger gets around 26-27 mpg :cool1: and I haven't had it on the highway yet. Granted gas prices weren't the only reason to trade, but it sure made the decision easier.:woohoo:

We got rid of our 03 Explorer back in March and went with a Dodge Charger. Explorer had 100,000 miles on it and was getting around 16 mpg. Now the Charger gets around 26-27 mpg :cool1: and I haven't had it on the highway yet. Granted gas prices weren't the only reason to trade, but it sure made the decision easier.:woohoo:

What is a Charger? Is it a cross-over? Love that 26-27 around town!

Trailblazer AND Suburban here - LOL. We've been talking about selling the suburban, but its the only of the 2 that we can fit extra people in. The TB only seats 5 - and that is us. If we wanted to bring mom or MIL with us somewhere - they'd have to take their own car. Both are paid for so Im thinking we'll keep 'em both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter