Are you D23

DH joined D23 and he's loving his membership. He wore his D23 t-shirt around WDW a few weeks ago and (as a result of his advertising) we spoke to other DVCers who were D23 members too.

I think a lot of DVCers are really Disney nuts who appreciate things like D23.

I'm a member. Although I can't make any of the special events they have planned, I think they are pretty impressive. The magazines are great also.

:sad2: I have other things to spend my money on.... No plans to join here...they already get enough of my money!

I think it's a waste of time, a waste of money, and an excellent example of what happens when a giant corporation tries to emulate a grassroots fan community from the top down. Awkward.

Other than that, I'm totally psyched about it.

Yep. ::yes:: I too believe it to be on the pricey side but have so far been impressed with the magazine and the special offerings that came along with membership.

For those considering, the current and past issue of the magazine is available for viewing at your local Disney Store. Seeing the magazine 'in person' is what sold me on the initial membership.

Personally, I don't see the point of it. Way, way too expensive for me to join. I won't even buy the magazine at Barnes and Noble - I bet they don't sell many at the price they are asking.

DVC and D23 and AP...We really love it....Magazines are great, if you are a pin collector the pins are nice.....

I'm a new member thanks to my DSis who gifted me. Things are just coming, and I'm determined to take the time to read and enjoy the experience.

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. Here's a link to the D23 site
http://d23.disney.go.com/

Sorry, im a noob so i must ask... what is D32?
D23 - Disney's first official community for fans - celebrates the wonder and excitement that began in 1923 when Walt Disney opened his studio in Hollywood. Through the years, Disney's stories, characters and experiences have captured the imagination of fans everywhere, and now D23 places you in the middle of the magic. Go backstage, behind closed doors, and get the inside scoop, while experiencing the nostalgia, adventure and fantasy of Disney as never before.

By clicking on "Add to Bag" and completing your D23 Membership purchase, you are agreeing to the D23 Terms and Conditions.

A one-year D23 Charter Membership* includes:

Disney ''twenty-three'' Quarterly Publication: A one-year subscription (four issues) to D23's exquisite collectible magazine, filled with stunning photography, dazzling illustrations and the ultimate Disney insider perspective. It's your all-access pass to discovering the magic of Disney's past, present and future!
Membership Card and Certificate: Your membership card and personalized, suitable-for-framing charter member certificate feature many of Disney's most beloved characters drawn by Disney Master Artist David Pacheco.
Surprise Collectible Gift: A collectible just for D23 members. You'll receive a gift you'll cherish from the new Walt Disney Archives Collection.
Exclusive Special Events and Merchandise: D23 offers its members unique special-event opportunities throughout the year, as well as access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles.
D23 Expo: It's the ultimate Disney fan experience, taking place in Anaheim, California from September 10-13, 2009. This can't-miss event will feature guest speakers, celebrity appearances, breathtaking exhibitions, sneak peeks, film screenings, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and so much more! Admission will be discounted for D23 members.
Subscription to bi-weekly D23 FanFare e-newsletter with breaking news and special offers. (You may opt out of receiving FanFare after your first e-newsletter arrives.)
Plus, stay connected to D23 every day at Disney.com/D23, featuring up-to-the-minute Disney news, feature stories, event info, merchandise and more.

*Join by December 31, 2009 to be a D23 Charter Member

D23 memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.

It costs $75.00 for one year.

I think it's a waste of time, a waste of money, and an excellent example of what happens when a giant corporation tries to emulate a grassroots fan community from the top down. Awkward.

:rotfl2:

I joined for the magazine. You can get the magazine for $64/year ($16/issue x4 issues). I figured I'd spend $11 more to see what all the fuss was about. So far, its about nothing :confused3 I cant make any of the special events, and otherwise I don't see much of a point. But the magazine is really nice and worth $75/year to me, although I could be paying $64 :confused:

I joined! (Although my DH should be the member as he was just too embarassed so he signed up in my name!) The magazine is really well done but geared toward Disney history buffs or people who want to know behind the scenes stuff. (DH, not really me.) I think the events are cool, but can't attend any. Hopefully they'll keep adding more. I want to be a member just to support the idea in hopes it will keep getting cooler. I like the extras they've sent with the magazine so far. For $11 more than the magazine price, I think it's worth it, especially if you like the pins or merchandise.

I'm a member. I think that the price is right considering the price of the magazines alone.

I have all of the pins too. :)

I'm a member, joined the day it premiered. I live in Southern California and would've loved to have done the Up special event at El Capitan however, it's on a week day at about midnight and I have to work the next day. I'm looking forward to the events coming up in the fall though.

After much debating (including trying to decide whether DH should join or I should), I finally joined today!

The first tipping point was that we bought the 2nd issue at WoD to get up to $50 for our discount and were very impressed.

The 2nd tipping point was all the events scheduled for the summer. We are in Central CA and would love to do the Studio tour, the DL 54th Aniversary behind the scenes video and talk, the preview of the Disney Museum in SF and the Expo. In particular, I toured the studios on a private tour back in the 1970's (in production at the time: Robin Hood and Island at the Top of the World) and would love to do it again as an adult. I live in fear that booking the Studio tour will be about as hard as booking a CP dinner package at DL.

We would also love to do the behind the scenes at the Lion King in Vegas, but it is scheduled for the date of my DS's graduation, so that's not an option. I read that John Ratzenberger was a special guest of the D23 Up showing last night. How cool is that! -- Suzanne

I joined and live in NC and still think it's totally worth it. We are so far getting little extras with the magazines and they are cool! I plan to renew with no questions asked.

Is there a fee for any/all of the "special events"?

How does the D23 magazine compare to the old Disney magazine that went out of business a few years ago?

:rotfl:

This.

Also, I love vacationing at Disney and enjoy their movies, but I'm not all about the history or collectibles or anything. Right now I'm trying to get more stuff OUT of my life and house so the last thing I want is to pay for even MORE STUFF! (or even worse, pay money for a membership that then gives me the right to...you guessed it...pay MORE money for stuff)

Plus online community building is something I know a little bit about, and it seems weird to me that they call it a community yet there's nothing that fosters, you know, actual community. There's a lot of "here, connect with our brand and our products" but not "here, connect with each other." The latter part is community. The former is just marketing.

For those who are into the collectibles or just need another piece of the D, then yeah, I guess $75 is an okay price for joining. But for me personally, nope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter