Are you "celebrating" St. Patrick's Day?

:scratchin Do tell...we all like to learn here on the DIS. Or was that some sort of snark I misinterpreted?

St Patrick used the shamrock to teach Christianity, God The Father, God The Son and God the Holy Spirt, all one God. Shamrock is a three leaf plant native to Ireland.

Croagh Patrick is a 764 m (2,507 ft) mountain in Co Mayo. It is where St Patrick spent a lot of time and is now a place of pilgrimage. There has been a Church on the top of the mountain since the 5th century. The last Sunday in July there is an official pilgrimage up the mountain and Mass is said at the top. This custom dates back to the middle ages.

Down Cathedral is a 12th century Cathedral said to be where St Patrick is buried.

There was a reason I put the word "celebrate" in quotation marks.

I wonder if "celebrating" anything is a reflection of where one grew up or lives. I grew up in the Boston area, and St. Patrick's Day was a "big deal." Boston has always been proud of its Irish heritage (even though we could argue how immigrants were treated- should at least acknowledge/discuss it). There is no way we'd miss our corned beef and cabbage (also known in the area as boiled dinner, and sometimes made with a smoked shoulder instead of corned beef) on March 17th. I know that's not how the day is celebrated in Ireland, but it's how I grew up, and I love corned beef and cabbage, it's on sale at this time of year (if $3.59 a pound for a fatty cut of meat can be considered a "sale" price), so I make it for dinner AND put one in the freezer for later in the year. I know the Irish don't make a big deal out of having green beer/greena coladas/Irish coffee OR corned beef on St. Patrick's day. Hence the quotations.

It's kind-of like Mardi Gras. I always knew it existed in NOLA, but never really thought of it unless there were pictures of Fat Tuesday parades on TV. Then my sister went to school in NOLA and stayed in the area, permanently, and I learned that Mardi Gras is actually a spin off of Carnivale, celebrated in a lot of the world. Now we at home have red beans and rice or jambalaya or something similar on Fat Tuesday. Why? I don't know, but it's fun to recognize another culture. I suppose we often misinterpret how it should be done (can't easily get andouille in northern Maine, hahaha) but it's also interesting/fun to acknowledge other countries and that most of us who live here have original heritage from somewhere else.

Anyhow... I'm off to figure out how long to simmer a 5 pound corned beef and plan out when I have to start everything if we want to have dinner around 6pm. Hope everyone enjoys their day.

Good morning! Do you do anything to observe St. Patrick's Day, and if so, what/how? Today I'll make corned beef and cabbage, with potatoes, carrots, turnip (actually rutabaga) and parsnips for dinner. DD and the resident 7 year old are making soda bread, and my SIL and the 7yo are going to make Guinness cupcakes with Bailey's frosting for dessert. Everyone is wearing their green shirts/socks today, too!
Went to Catholic Mass this morning and currently making cottage pie 🥧 and a Guinness chocolate cake 🎂. 😋 If anyone wants to see a historical look on the life of St. Patrick, I posted a video about his life on my Saint Patrick's Day thread. Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone!☘️

St Patrick used the shamrock to teach Christianity, God The Father, God The Son and God the Holy Spirt, all one God. Shamrock is a three leaf plant native to Ireland.

In my old Irish neighborhood in South Philly, the Catholic church where I used to attend Mass had a statue of St. Patrick holding a shamrock in a niche next to the altar.

Today I won't be doing anything special. My brother-in-law is out of town-I usually make soda bread for him, but not this year.

Tink, in America it's common to use corned beef because the (poor) Irish who came over here in the 1840s and 50s to escape the Famine found it to be a cheaper substitute for the more expensive regular beef. I'm descended from Famine immigrants and I'm grateful to have my Irish great-great grandmother's recipes that she got from *her* mother, who sailed over in the early 1850s. It's really not meant to be disrespectful or ignorant of Americans, although I get that the whole to-do Americans must make over in Ireland must be annoying on what is a solemn holiday.

I'll wear green when I finally get dressed. (I've given myself a slow morning because yesterday was rather stressful.) I also have a shamrock welcome wreath on my door. But dinner will be leftovers because nobody here is super enthusiastic about the "traditional" foods and I really need to clean out my fridge.

There was a reason I put the word "celebrate" in quotation marks.

I wonder if "celebrating" anything is a reflection of where one grew up or lives. I grew up in the Boston area, and St. Patrick's Day was a "big deal." Boston has always been proud of its Irish heritage (even though we could argue how immigrants were treated- should at least acknowledge/discuss it). There is no way we'd miss our corned beef and cabbage (also known in the area as boiled dinner, and sometimes made with a smoked shoulder instead of corned beef) on March 17th. I know that's not how the day is celebrated in Ireland, but it's how I grew up, and I love corned beef and cabbage, it's on sale at this time of year (if $3.59 a pound for a fatty cut of meat can be considered a "sale" price), so I make it for dinner AND put one in the freezer for later in the year. I know the Irish don't make a big deal out of having green beer/greena coladas/Irish coffee OR corned beef on St. Patrick's day. Hence the quotations.

It's kind-of like Mardi Gras. I always knew it existed in NOLA, but never really thought of it unless there were pictures of Fat Tuesday parades on TV. Then my sister went to school in NOLA and stayed in the area, permanently, and I learned that Mardi Gras is actually a spin off of Carnivale, celebrated in a lot of the world. Now we at home have red beans and rice or jambalaya or something similar on Fat Tuesday. Why? I don't know, but it's fun to recognize another culture. I suppose we often misinterpret how it should be done (can't easily get andouille in northern Maine, hahaha) but it's also interesting/fun to acknowledge other countries and that most of us who live here have original heritage from somewhere else.

Anyhow... I'm off to figure out how long to simmer a 5 pound corned beef and plan out when I have to start everything if we want to have dinner around 6pm. Hope everyone enjoys their day.
Hour a pound. Living in the nyc metro area it’s a big holiday here. We are really celebrating our family members who came over from Ireland in the 1900’s, and they tried to mimic what they ate in Ireland with the local food they had access to (like beef instead of pork). They went through some tough times (as did the Italians back then). The churches have Saint Patrick’s day Masses. It’s more of an Irish American celebration.

Hour a pound. Living in the nyc metro area it’s a big holiday here. We are really celebrating our family members who came over from Ireland in the 1900’s, and they tried to mimic what they ate in Ireland with the local food they had access to (like beef instead of pork). They went through some tough times (as did the Italians back then). The churches have Saint Patrick’s day Masses. It’s more of an Irish American celebration.
And this is where the disconnect happens. Americans are all about living in the past, mimicing an Ireland thats long gone and has no similarity to modern Ireland. Irish people in Ireland moved on with life, went though The War of Independance and Civil War, The Irish Free State and became The Republic of Ireland. We are now a powerhouse in World Politics and The EU. Life in Ireland is very different that what it was in 1900 but Americans just live in this bubble of the past.

And this is where the disconnect happens. Americans are all about living in the past, mimicing an Ireland thats long gone and has no similarity to modern Ireland. Irish people in Ireland moved on with life, went though The War of Independance and Civil War, The Irish Free State and became The Republic of Ireland. We are now a powerhouse in World Politics and The EU. Life in Ireland is very different that what it was in 1900 but Americans just live in this bubble of the past.
You're gonna get all worked up again this year, aren't you?

I'm having a nice Sunday. :flower:
I believe I'll ignore the gross generalization.

When did Ireland become a powerhouse in politics and the EU? Wait, wrong forum to ask but I just got an idea. Thanks @Bad Pink Tink 2.0 .

I would love to make a boiled dinner but DH who has an Irish background won't touch it. He says he grew up on some really bad Corned Beef and Cabbage dinners so now he's scarred for life. :scared: It's funny because my Mom even though being a Callaghan and a Nolan hated it too. She used to make a boiled dinner using pork shoulder and only made it because my father loved it and he was from a Portuguese background so go figure. :confused3I didn't care as much for the first meal as I did the hash my Mom made from it for leftovers. So good! 😋

Last edited:
Traditional Bacon and Cabbage with Mustard Sauce Recipe From Board Bia

bord bia.jpg

Bacon and Cabbage
  • 1½kg loin of bacon
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 celery sticks
  • 2 leeks
  • 1 teasp. peppercorns
  • 1kg cabbage, finely sliced
  • 1 tablesp. butter
  • Topping
  • 1 tablesp. mustard
  • 1 tablesp. oven-dried breadcrumbs
  • ½ tablesp. brown sugar
  • Knob of butter
Mustard Sauce
  • 50g butter
  • 25g flour
  • 1 tablesp. mustard
  • 250ml mixture cooking liquid and cream
  1. Place the joint in a large saucepan. Add chopped vegetables and peppercorns. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes per ½ kg.
  2. Set oven to Gas Mark 6, 200ºC (400ºF).
  3. Remove the joint from the saucepan. Reserve liquid.
  4. Remove the rind and score the fat. Place the joint on a roasting dish. Spread with mustard and breadcrumbs, sugar and a knob of butter. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
  5. To Make the Sauce: Melt the butter, add the flour and mustard. Cook for a minute or two. Whisk in the cooking liquid and cream.
  6. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
  7. Taste for seasoning. The sauce should have the consistency of thin cream. Keep warm.
  8. To Cook the Cabbage: Place the cabbage in a saucepan and barely cover with some of the reserved cooking liquid.
  9. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain well and toss in butter. Season to taste
  10. Slice the bacon and serve on the bed of cabbage, a little of the mustard sauce and of course floury potatoes.

Was going to write a long historical perspective of my views but I'll skip it - no one really reads it anyway - I just do it to keep in practice and for my own amusement.

Anyway, Irish boiling bacon is tough to get in the states, even today - I have to order in bulk so I can have it throughout the year. I prefer it. Corned beef is everywhere and cheaper.

In Ireland - I doubt you can walk into a supermarket and get a decent corned beef - other than a baloney like lunch meat.

In the end that is what it comes down to - what do you have easy access to and what can you afford.

Also - you don't have to boil it - I Air Fry it - many roast it.
You can replace Cabbage with Brussels sprouts (roasted with American bacon and maple syrup) - its still a cabbage

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter