Are you a "lurker" on DISboards? If not, what caused you to de-lurk?

I've been a lurker on this thread all week long; I guess with this post you can't call me a lurker any longer. :rotfl2:

Seriously, I was a lurker my first year back in 2008 for a few months before I finally created a username and began using the DIS. Initially I followed and posted on many of the forums. Over the years I now mostly only post and follow trip report forums, restaurant forums, resort forums and the DVC forums; but am certainly not a lurker on the mentioned forums. I stopped posting on the community forums and a few others because over the past few years the courtesy and often confrontational attitudes are becoming more and more prevalent there. It seems that we are evolving as a society that if someone does not share the same opinion as they do, that makes that person wrong, and need to be called out. I'm not a very confrontational guy and would much rather not get into confrontation, especially not about WDW. :goodvibes

I just found these boards a few days ago and they are so informative. I tend to click around and read because there is so much information.

I tend to operate on the assumption that many people here know more than I do. So I read and learn. Occasionally, I'll have my 2 cents that seems to be different from others'. So I'll chime in. I don't like to chime in just to say, "Me too."

I guess I'm a 9%er. I used to just lurk but I've received so much help on the boards, I wanted to give back. I would post more, but usually the question has already been answered or my opinion already represented. I will admit that, at times, I want to contribute but end up taking the thread off topic. I will also stay away from certain threads or the boards entirely, when the vibe gets nasty. I come here for enjoyment.

I have been lurking this thread for a few days. I joined in Feb 2011 with a desire to purchase an add-on. I posted quite a bit when I first joined, since I was gathering information. As I went through the resale process for the first time, and a few times since, I posted fairly frequently on the DVC purchase board. At this point in time, I probably do more reading than posting, primarily due to time limitations. I am like others on the board -- I usually don't chime in if a question has been adequately addressed by existing posts in a thread. I do enjoy helping others with things that people are having trouble with. Others were kind enough to do that for me. I have become a much wiser Disney consumer due to following these boards.

I disappear from the boards until we start planning a new trip. So lots of posts leading to F&W and then time off until late spring when I want to hear the rumors.

I signed up originally for the Disboards in 2008 to help with wedding planning: the advice I got was invaluable. We had a lovely wedding with 45 people: welcome dinner at the Cali Grill, ceremony + reception at the White Hall Patio/Room at GF. The Disboards made wedding planning so much easier because they gave me ideas, tips, hints, etc.

I lurked for a LONG time before posting but then wanted to comment on everything.

Now I am back to lurking again.

I came onboard when I was in the process of purchasing my membership. After several years of consideration, I sought advice on home resort selection.

I do not participate regularly because I often feel there is a 1% that controls the board and the rest of us may be onlookers and occasionally speak.

I would think the boards are fairly cyclical. As new members come in, we read and learn. Once we have a better understanding of how things work, we share. I know people really value the information posted here. I sure do. I would never want to post inaccurate info if it was not a topic I was positive about.

I posted more often after joining, asking questions and then answering those I knew for a fact. I then became disenchanted by people posting that I didn't know what I was talking about, even though I was in the resort at the time and looking at the subject of a poster's question. The latest snarky comments came on the towel animal issue, saying we should have taking lamps and furniture if we were taking the towel animals. It's a minority of people that have to post in this fashion, but it does get old and I have much better things to do. Now I mainly just lurk and if I have a question, I ask it elsewhere.

Edit: This disenchantment is not singular to this board, but to all boards on all sites. The vocal minority seem to take control and tend to drown out the others.

The funny thing is, I can't remember being a lurker, although I'm sure I started that way.

I never worried about posting incomplete or inaccurate information in a post, as folks would simply correct any gaps in my understanding, so posting what you know and getting feedback has been invaluable in growing my understanding of DVC.

Since this is a discussion forum, we not only share information and supposed facts, but also opinions and feelings. Everyone has opinions and feelings, so everyone should feel welcome to share them.

I would hope we would all treat each other with dignity and common courtesy, and be able to share differing opinions or viewpoints without it becoming argumentative and confrontational.

We want the DVC forums on the DISboards to be a welcoming place where everyone should feel comfortable posting.

I posted more often after joining, asking questions and then answering those I knew for a fact. I then became disenchanted by people posting that I didn't know what I was talking about, even though I was in the resort at the time and looking at the subject of a poster's question. The latest snarky comments came on the towel animal issue, saying we should have taking lamps and furniture if we were taking the towel animals. It's a minority of people that have to post in this fashion, but it does get old and I have much better things to do. Now I mainly just lurk and if I have a question, I ask it elsewhere.

This post captures my sentiments exactly. It is much easier to lurk and glean necessary information, than post and face the potential backlash of negativity. It is truly disheartening when you sincerely try to help someone with a post only to have others criticize your opinion.

I, too, have moved to another online board that is more welcoming and appreciative of my posts.

This post captures my sentiments exactly. It is much easier to lurk and glean necessary information, than post and face the potential backlash of negativity. It is truly disheartening when you sincerely try to help someone with a post only to have others criticize your opinion.

I, too, have moved to another online board that is more welcoming and appreciative of my posts.

Huh. I haven't encountered the negativity or criticism here on the DISboards that you refer to.

Sure, any discussion board will have people posting different opinions. Please report any objectionable posts to the Moderators, as we try to maintain a healthy discussion that allows for differences of opinion that are handled in a respectful manner. That doesn't mean we will all agree.

Total lurker here too, I'll post if I really have something to add but that's usually rare.

Huh. I haven't encountered the negativity or criticism here on the DISboards that you refer to.

Sure, any discussion board will have people posting different opinions. Please report any objectionable posts to the Moderators, as we try to maintain a healthy discussion that allows for differences of opinion that are handled in a respectful manner. That doesn't mean we will all agree.

As you stated in the OP 90% of the content comes from 1% of users. Maybe 90% remain lurkers because they feel they get bullied by the 1%. The lurkers don't feel comfortable reporting the 1% to the moderators, because...
a. the moderators take the side of the 1%, since they are more familiar with them
b. the moderators are part of the 1%

I'm cautious to even post this response out of fear of retaliation.

Can you run a report of the top 75-100 posters like you did at that other board? That was a great thread and very informative.

As you stated in the OP 90% of the content comes from 1% of users. Maybe 90% remain lurkers because they feel they get bullied by the 1%. The lurkers don't feel comfortable reporting the 1% to the moderators, because...
a. the moderators take the side of the 1%, since they are more familiar with them
b. the moderators are part of the 1%

I'm cautious to even post this response out of fear of retaliation.

As a moderator, I try to encourage healthy dialog and discussion - which is exactly why I started this thread in the first place. I don't want anyone to feel "bullied". If anyone reports objectionable content, I don't look at the post count of the person who was the OP or the person pointing it out. I look only at the content.

The moderators may be part of the 1%, but are you referring to the 1% in a pejorative way? I don't think being in the 1% is bad - and neither is being in the 9% or the 1%.

Again, my role here is to encourage participation and healthy (and sometimes fun) discussion of DVC.

I am open to any suggestions as to how I can do a better job. Feel free to give me feedback via a Conversation/PM. I don't bite. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter