• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you a DIS cruise contrarian?

I won't drink the FREE soda that I pay for in the price $$$ of the cruise !
LOL LOL :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

DisneyDad-1.gif

Prime rib or roasts I can understand, but hopefully they can accommodate some. Me? I LOVE seafood and never get it because my picky butt husband hates it. He needs his meat well done too. I've a feeling he may be hitting the fast food deck for burgers :rotfl:

I plan to gorge myself with lobster and crab until I can take no more. Yumm!!

Bonniec- LOL!!!:rotfl: My hubby loves the burgers!! And me, I don't mind some white fish, but no shell fish for me! I don't like lobster, crab, shrimp, scallops, or anything else like that. Gimme some blackened grouper and I am good. LOL!;) As for steak, well done please while my hubby gets medium to medium rare...I can't even look at it!:eek:

I DO wonder though (for those of you who don't have packing lists) if you have children? I used to not be a 'list' person, but can't imagine not having a list when our daughter was 3 and 4 years old. Too many things needed for a cruise. I start relaxing when I've crossed everything off my list, at home.:)

We have travelled a ton:rolleyes1 and have 2 kids.

We have an unoffical packing list. We roughly know what needs to go. But nothing is wirtten down. Like someone else said, if it did not get packed we can buy it. Might pay an arm and leg for it but we can buy it:rotfl: We do make sure meds get packed cause no one likes Grumpy;)

This thread is great. Haven't cruised so haven't had a chance to become contrary :)

Getting ready for cruise number 8 in one month :thumbsup2

We don't/have never
* get to the port before our boarding time. We hate lugging our bags to lunch waiting for the rooms to be ready!
* go to the DIS meet (DH is not very social)
* stay in an inside cabin, clautrophobia with 2 kids!
* order the water, beer or wine packages--we are fine with the water from the beverage station, and don't drink that much alcohol
* go to the adult shows/clubs-we are usually dead tired after the Show, and pass out in bed by 10:30!
* gotten coffee at Cove Cafe (don't like coffee!)
* wear shorts in the MDR
* pay ridiculous fees to go on the internet at sea! ( I have forgotten to put the phone in airplane mode, however. Expensive mistake...)
* found out who the CD or Captain is before the cruise. As long and they don't sink the boat, and keep us entertained, we don't really care too much!
* go to the ESPN/ sport bar
* stayed on Deck one or two. No verandahs there!

We have (and may/may not do again)
* done a massage-not again, I hurt for the rest of the cruise, and was aggrevated by the sales pitch
* gotten off at Nassau (if Atlantis really counts as Nassau) only for the Dolphin Encounter, and will never get off at Nassau again
* participated in FE gift exchanges, and door decorating. The kids love it, but after the one thread about how many CMs aren't fond of DISers, I am rethinking it...
* eaten at Palo for dinner and brunch, every cruise. Not so sure we will continue to do dinner, but we LOVE brunch!
* only bought a card for Quarter Masters once. NEVER AGAIN!!

We always:
* request to eat by ourselves or with my parents only. Bad dining experiences with tablemates in the past
* go to the Sail Away Celebration, and Pirate show, the kids love both
* go to the shows, at least the "Broadway Style" ones
* buy pins off Ebay to trade throughout the cruise. Best and cheapest way to add pins we want to our collection! Kids love trading with the Cruise Staff
* I do make lists, and try to coordinate outfits to pack less than I need
* bring our Passports
* use the Passporter Deluxe binder to keep all our important cruise docs, passports and information in. I also get the pack of daily envelopes to keep receipts, and have the kids tell me each night the best and worst part of the day. Its been fun to look back!
* sit out on our verandah and watch the sea go by
* hoarded H2O products for my Mom, who loves them. I don't mind much if we use them or not...
* bring an air freshener for the bathroom ;)
* get some pictures at Shutters, but NEVER will spend over $300 on pictures! I love pictures, but even paying $150 for the "cheap package" kills me!
* look forward to shopping for Cruise items. And I have my favorites!

Love this thread.

Don't know what I don't like because this will be our first disney cruise. Can't wait to find out though!

Same here!

I will say that this thread has made me feel better about some of the ideas/decisions we've been mulling around in our minds. There is going to be so much to do, we can't do it one trip. It's nice to see we'll survive with or without Palo brunch.

I like Palo better than Remy.
I like Palo dinner better than brunch.
I don't love the chocolate soufflé.
I don't like the bleu cheese/grape pizza.
I don't care what my dining rotation is.
I don't care to go the shows or pirate night (I'll take the kids if they want, but when it's just DH and I sailing, we skip them all)
I usually lose all track of time and end up missing the Dis meet.
I don't play bingo.
I skip the embarkation photo. In fact, we skip most photos.
I like to do laundry on the ship.

Hmmm...that felt somewhat therapeutic, getting that off my chest :p

I never play bingo.
I never remember server names.
I don't request servers, rotations, etc.
I have never, nor have my kids, stood in line for a character photo.
We have never been to a character breakfast.
I never make magnets, FE's, etc. I've paid for someone to do it for me.
I never remain on topic. I try to. Then I see this...

I'm NOT ALLOWED on any Disney cruise !:(:sad2:
DSC00208.jpg

Awww, is she/he watching herself? So adorable! I want him/her in my FE. hee:)

Awesome thread.
Will be going on our 7th DCL shortly and we:

- Don't dress up for pirate night. Attended pirate party once and that was quite enough for me.
- Don't do cruise meets
- Don't decorate door
- Don't do FE
- Don't visit the Adult Entertainment District
- Don't overly fuss about dressing up
- Don't wear lime green
- Don't plan out every minute of every day onboard

Getting ready for cruise number 8 in one month :thumbsup2

We don't/have never

We have (and may/may not do again)
* participated in FE gift exchanges, and door decorating. The kids love it, but after the one thread about how many CMs aren't fond of DISers, I am rethinking it...

I've never thought about this. What thread was it?

I ...

In what ways do you go against the grain?

As a single traveller these are things I do against the grain.

No FE exchanges
I do not decorate my door.
In the past four cruises I had requested my own table for dinner.
I stand in line to take pictures with the characters.
I don't really care too much about the sail away party.
I may shed a tear at some of the shows.
I am rarely in my stateroom.
I usually forget about the Dis meet.
I enjoy people watching, particularly during karaoke when people with no talent let loose.

I don't like uncouth people - shouldn't be allowed on a cruise.
I don't like people saving chairs - they should be tied to the chair and thrown overboard.
I don't like being told what to do and when - that is my job.
I don't like shared tables for dining - but I am polite (after all, I am British).
I don't like it when people pile their plates up with food only to leave 50% of it - they should be fed to the sharks.

G

5th Disney Cruise Coming up....Most of our "Don't" list is things we used to do till we learned our lesson :lmao:

Do not attend the sail away party on deck...but will watch us sail out on our Verandah
Will not sail again without a Verandah
Do not drink any alcohol
Do not go to Remy's
Do not go to dinner at Palo's
Do not go to the character breakfast
Do not allow our teenage girls to use their cell phones "We were just texting..not talking" again. Bill was over $700 :eek:
Do not MAKE our family eat meals together
Do not MAKE our boys leave the kids club to come spend time with us
Do not get off in Key West or Nassau
Do not book any excursions with Disney
Do not even look at our photos in shutters
Do not do the HIGHLY over priced spa
Do not do the dessert buffet
Do not do the meet and greets
Do not do the FE
Do not chair or rail save
Do not attend the art auctions

Things we do like/do

Decorating our door.
Ordering room service
Eating the giant green olives at Plutos Dog House
Brunch at Palo's
Booking a dummy date while on board
Eating lunch in the MDR's
Going to sleep with our Verandah door open to hear the waves
Tell our cabin steward to not do a turn down at night
Going to a movie or two in the theater
Trying at least one new food each cruise....Escargot really is not that bad ;)
Reconnecting with my hubby after a long hectic year. :hug:

I like pirate night but hate the menu
Palo is good brunch dinner take or leave
I have never ordered a Mickey bar
I do meet ups an fe enjoy it sometime
It provides a good laugh
I don't do pools unles quiet cove then better be hot out
I like late dining not as many kids
I like the game shows
I find adult karaoke to be amusing people do anything for a free shot
Most of the time I could stay on boat never get off but get out voted
I like the walks ups
I like soda
I have never ordered a Mickey bar
And this trip I'll wear my lanyard cause I finally went gold.

Okay I don't do Pirates Night. I do watch the fireworks. I just love fireworks.:thumbsup2
I do Palo and love it.

I do galley tours and ship tours and anything else that lets me learn more 'trivia'. (Actually my excursions all seem to include tours of the port country. I guess I just like an overview of the place I am visiting. And shopping of course!):cool1:

I don't do character meals (no kids) but I do the Character Farewell the last night from an upper deck and love the view! And watched my 80 something y.o. mother get hugged by Chip and Dale right next to me!

I do get up on deck early to watch and take pictures as we enter a new port and again when we leave. Especially at CC!

I don't sleep in because there is too much to do but I do find a shady spot to relax and read and take a snooze on deck. (I read everywhere-in waiting rooms, standing on line in the bank.)

I have done & not done DIS meets, depends on my 'schedule'.

I don't go to the gym but I have done the spa for a massage during the "Sailaway Party". (Not my first DCL cruise and they had a great special we found out about during the spa tour! See I found another 'factfinding' tour! :) ):thumbsup2

Have visited the Cove Cafe and got a great hot chocolate. (It was January, a bit chilly and I don't like coffee.)

Never visited the Mickey or Goofy pools (no kids)

Love the shows and watching movies in the theatre.
I don't care who my servers etc are every one I met is great!

I love the souffle! (Actually almost anything chocolate.) And Mickey Bars too!

Don't watch TV unless I am in 'quarantine' for possible Noro virus. :sick: Or just to check the weather when we are in the 'year of the Hurricane' (I am addicted to the Weather Channel when bad weather is in the forecast)

Haven't done FE but might in the future. Haven't decorated our door.

Sat on our verandah early in the morning, late at night, afternoon anytime and when going in or out of port depending on which side our stateroom is on.

I have worn a lanyard but a DVC one and a DVC hat. Attended DVC 'meets' and spoke with prospective DVC members about DVC. (Okay I have been a DVC member for over 20 years and love it!)

We do dress for formal night but not very fancy. Once in awhile it is nice to get away from 'dress down casual'.

No character meets ( no kids) but I do get some pictures of them).

I do get pictures from Shutters but not a lot!

I don't and won't save chairs. (What is this the Titanic? Where you had a reserved deck chair? If you were in first class. And look what happened to them.)

I enjoy sharing tables and have met some lovely people. Also some odd ones but what the heck it is a chance to meet people and maybe make some new friends, if only for the length of the cruise.

And after stressing about the cruise when so many hurricanes hit Florida and the Caribbean (Is it still on? Will we leave from PC? Will we be able to stop at CC? etc) I learned not to stress about where we were actually going! The itinerary changed almost daily due to storms. But we did leave from and return to PC. We did get to CC (the first ship in after the storms) and had a blast! We did not get to any of the ports on our original itinerary or one of the rescheduled ports. But I didn't care because I was on Disney!! I don't care where DCL takes me I am ready to go right now!:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter