Are we the only ones not at all impressed with the food at WDW?

We just got back from a week of dining and I have to agree -- the food at many of the TS restaurants isn't earth-shatteringly good. BUT, it beats the heck out of another burger from a long line at a CS place.

We live in an area where we can get any kind of Asian food any day of the week. So we kept that in mind and did more American-style restaurants. We looked forward to our nightly TS dinners as a chance to see some beautiful resorts, enjoy a tasty meal and relax in the a/c.

I think it's all in how you look at it. I'd never pay those prices at home for food like that. But then again, at home there isn't a geyser in the main lobby, a savannah outside the back door or the castle outside the window!

I think it is all about perspective. I don't think Disney is a dining destination on par with NYC or Chicago or DC, but for a family destination the food is very good and it is one of few destinations where young children are not out of place at nice restaurants.

That said, I don't think those choices are a great selection if you're looking for the best of Disney dining. Aside from Le Cellier, none of those restaurants are even among the better reviewed Disney restaurants, and there isn't a single signature dinner on the list. There are also a lot of buffets and family style restaurants. IMO, there is only so much that can be done with buffets and family style meals because the food isn't cooked to order.

Well,

I admit that we are little concerned about dining for our upcoming trip. However, we are staying offsite this time, so that will open up a lot more dining choices for us. And we fully intend on taking advantage of that. On our last week long trip in Dec 2004, we were generally happy enough with our choices. We found breakfast at Boma as well as breakfast at Fresh to be really very good... yes pricey, but not anything crazy when compared to offerings near our home. We had Ok meals at Les Chefs & Brown Derby, but like most places, we felt that we were really better off sticking with their one or two signature dishes.

I've seen the menus that that have been updated to accommodate the DDP, and I'm not thrilled. We aren't high cuisine kind of people, with all the sauces and chutneys... but we do like high quality food... real food, made fresh. And that seems to be lacking now in WDW. I think most people are looking for a good value. I have no problem spending $30-40 on a meal, especially on vacation, but I better perceive it as a good value. I don't want Applebee's food at double the price. I'd rather run down to Publix and pick up a couple of prime steaks, kwim?

Because of the talk about service problems... likely brought on by a combination of the DDP increasing demand, and staffing problems that WDW is currently experiencing, we are scaling way back how many "nicer" meals we consume at WDW for this trip. Now we have very specific reasons for choosing our dining locations - like ambiance or character experience. Otherwise we'll be sticking with counter service. If more people start doing the same, Disney will start making some changes. Since ADR's are hard to come by right now, I don't think the changes will come anytime soon.

Lisa

IMO, you chose some of the worst that Disney has to offer. There are many great restaurants at WDW...you just didn't visit any of them.

Next time look into Blue Zoo, California Grill, Spoodles, Brown Derby and some of the better reviewed restaurants.

There are very few meals I've had in WDW that I consider delicious. I love to eat, and eating is a BIG part of my trip to WDW. Most of the meals I've had at table service restaurants range from "OK" to "pretty good" to a rare "really good." In general, the food is pretty average, plain-jane, run-of-the-mill in the parks.

BUT, DH and I still eat at the parks every chance we get, because the food is really just 50% of the experience. The theming of many of the table service restaurants is just breath-taking; far, far more beautiful, creative, and awe-inspiring than anything I can find in my small city (even though I can find much better food in my hometown!).

Even many of the counter service restaurants have really fun theming (Morocco, the garden next to the fish-and-chips kiosk in the UK, Pizzafari in the Animal Kingdom, to name a few). Generally, I have a glass of wine to whet my appetite and help me transition into what I think of as the Disney dimension--the dreamy, movie-set, fantasy-feeling of eating dinner in a park designed to be one of the most entertaining and beautiful places on earth.

I hear the restaurants in the resorts are much better than the ones in the parks, but who wants to leave the parks?? :goodvibes :goodvibes

A couple things to keep in mind:

This is theme park food. For theme park food Disney cuisine is very good.
As previously mentioned, food at the resorts is typically better.
Whenever food is cooked for the masses, it will not be great. As many people that dine at Disney World food has to be prepared for the masses.

This is an excellent point. Can you remember the last meal you had at [insert non-disney theme park]? I know I can't.......cuz a hot dog is a hot dog.....

For me and mine, our eating preferences and habits are our own. They only apply to us and us alone. The whole thing on judging restaurants is very subjective and inevitably varies from person to person, day to day, mood to .......I think you get the picture......

Having said this, we love the varied menus and entertainment opportunities WDW offers in it's resort/park restaurants. I am struggling to think of another place on the planet that provides this variety of family entertainment in on central location w/convenient access to all at a fair price.

Because of this, I can generally look past the little things that bother me about individual restaurants & always find something good to eat.

I am not a foody, but have passion for grilling/smoking etc. Because of this, I shy away from BBQ & Steaks when eating out. I would be too critical of what I am served (and Lord help me, what if theirs is better than mine!!!)

When we are at Character buffets, we are generally there because the kids want to spend time with characters. We take lots of pictures and enjoy the time with the characters......food is secondary in this situation.

Given that OP is blessed to live in the culinary paradise that is Chicago (no sarcasm, I visit frequently on business and concur- great great restaurants & a wonderful tradition of fine dining- Manhattan also), perhaps you could use your visits to WDW to try out foods that you normally don't eat back home. If not, ride more rides, see more shows etc.

We like to mix things up when it comes to dining at WDW. We have done All TS vacations, All CS vacation, All "eat at the MH" vacations. One time, we did 3 days at WDW during Food and Wine Festival. The rule for the weekend was, you could only eat snacks and appetizers (no entrees). Now THAT was fun!

We have been lucky so far and have never had a bad meal anywhere at WDW (9 vacations so far). When that day come, I will just have to reconcile myself to the fact that yes, it was a bad meal, but hey......we're at Disney World!!!!! :woohoo:

....don't buy into the hype!!!

If you know what you and your family like/dislike and are fully aware of the level of expectation you have, I would suggest using those factors to decide your dining itinerary. When you put too much faith into the opinions of strangers you are bound to be disappointed. Taste and perception of value are unique to each person so unless the person giving a review is a friend (someone who knows your likes/dislikes) ignore them.

Will you always be 100% satisfied when you walk out of every WDW dining venue.......highly unlikely, but you can increase the likelihood of satisfaction by planning to visit restaurants based on your likes/dislikes, habits, or tastes rather than the opinions and judgments of perfect strangers. If you don't usually like buffets at home, you probably will not like buffets (characters or not) at WDW!!

Don't Buy Into The Hype!!!!

:thumbsup2

That being said, if you read some of the reviews, you would think that every morsel of food you will put in your mouth at Disney will be the most mind blowing dining experience you will have, and that's simply not true. I've read dining reviews that rave about that fried cheese at 50's PTC. Or the wings at O'hana. (I mean, seriously, wings??) And don't even get me started on the food at LTT - helloooo, it's stouffers mac and cheese! But because it's in MK, it's fabulous!

I think you bump into a few different things in these comparisons.

- expectations. People read the reviews here (like you mentioned) and expect the food to be cooked by an actual chef, rather than a cooking staff in the kitchen. This can work the other way, too, when people who expected that, didn't get it, and then report back that it was horrible.

- definitions. I bumped into this on a different thread by saying the food at Dollywood was good. My definition of 'good' was more along the lines of 'didn't make me sick - tasted ok'. Anther reader took that as, "really tasty food".

- Kids (the 'magic') - For some it seems to be all about the kids. They could be having PB&J an Mickey could come over take a picture with them and they'll talk about what a wonderful time they had and how the PB&J was 'just right'.

- zealots / haters - There are some who will say Disney can do no wrong or will endlessly back Disney no matter what while there are others that will complain no matter what (it was too expensive for what I got).

I think there's a lot to weigh out in all of this from the price to the food quality to people's definitions/expectations, etc. I think it makes it really tough to judge what's good and whether you'll like the dining experience or not.

Usually, when comparing other things (non-Disney) like on Amazon, it's not too hard to pick out those who either love the product/company no matter what or hate the product/company no matter what and just get the 'average-joe' impression.

No offense, but I think some of your restaurant choice were "obvious" failures. I wouldn't set foot in some of them. You've got to find your dining niche at Disney. There are legions of people who thing buffet food makes for a gourmet meal--they LOVE the food at Chef Mickey's which, IMO, is barely edible. With the exception of Le Cellier, I think most of those restaurants are about the entertainment factor, food quanity, and lastly quality.

MTE! My favorite meals at Disney have been at their signature restaurants. They cost a lot for a reason! One of the best steaks I've ever had was at Artist Point - it was indescribable! The wine list at Jiko is stunning and really compliments the meals served. I don't expect the same thing at Chef Mickey's. However, we do love Liberty Tree Tavern. Yes, it's Stouffer's - yes, it's good! I don't make that at home and so we enjoy it on vacation.

As far as certain areas having the market cornered on dining - I disagree. No one zip code/culture/country has the best food. Every place I've ever gone had something to offer - I may have needed to open my mind ever so slightly to allow it, but I have enjoyed food all over. And, I'm from NY - you can and do find good things to eat everywhere!

As far as certain areas having the market cornered on dining - I disagree. No one zip code/culture/country has the best food. Every place I've ever gone had something to offer - I may have needed to open my mind ever so slightly to allow it, but I have enjoyed food all over. And, I'm from NY - you can and do find good things to eat everywhere!

I understand your point. My intent in singling out inside the loop Chicago & Manhattan along with WDW was mainly geographical i.e. a reasonably short distance to travel (taxi/subway/El Trai) for a vast array of dining choices. Maybe not the best analogy.....sounded good at the time.

Completely agree that good food is everywhere.

For example, Here in Texas, there is a BBQ joint in Huntsville called "Church of the Immaculate BBQ". It is located in the back of a church in an African American part of town. I have never EVER had better BBQ than there. Everyone has a place like that.

I also recall a seafood restaurant outside Esenada Mexico. Served the best lobster I have ever had. Run by a retired USN Rear Admiral......great stuff. Unfortunately, the taco stands in Ensenada proper....... not so good.....:scared1:

No offense, but I think some of your restaurant choice were "obvious" failures. I wouldn't set foot in some of them. You've got to find your dining niche at Disney. There are legions of people who thing buffet food makes for a gourmet meal--they LOVE the food at Chef Mickey's which, IMO, is barely edible. With the exception of Le Cellier, I think most of those restaurants are about the entertainment factor, food quanity, and lastly quality.

Oh, no. That's not the least bit offensive.

I could not agree more. People who know food and truly appreciate food will not discount someplace just because they do not have grand cuisine available. My personal travel philosophy is simple, " you haven't been there till you've eaten the food". Local offerings can offer more insight into the local culture and its people than any 5 star restaurant in the same city. Don't get me wrong, 5 star restaurants make me happy too, but I would not assume great food is not available just because the location I'm visiting does not offer a famous 5 star restaurant. An example: what better defines New York City - a trip to the Papaya King for a smoothie and dog or a trip to Le Bernardin for some uni seviche and shrimp ravioli with truffle sauce??? I would bet most visiting people would go for the dog and smoothie , and they would be justified in doing so because those are things that truly define a large part of New York's culture and its people.

The same premise applies to WDW......no, the average visitor is not looking for 4/5 star type cuisine, but those that are (and are willing to pay for it) can find it in locations such as V & A's Chef Table, Bistro de Paris or Wolfgang Puck's Dining Room (upstairs). Most people are more than happy with food offered by Disney restaurants; the average WDW guest will be pleased with the menus offered by most TS venues in WDW and will leave very happy about their meal. Again, I would recommend for every person/family to avoid the hype and go to places that offer the experience you are looking for. If you want 4/5 star cuisine do not expect it from most WDW restaurants, and definitely do not think you will get it on the DDP. You can get closer to that kind of cuisine by going to signature restaurants (2 TS credits on DDP), but again, most people do not want to spend that much cash or use that many credits for a great meal.

You get what you pay for (at WDW that tends to be 20/30% more than the real world).

Oh, no. That's not the least bit offensive.

Thanks!:goodvibes

I realize the statement itself *is* a tad offensive. I wanted the poster to know that in saying that I wasn't trying to make him/her feel badly. As a first-time planner, it is hard to know where to eat and it takes a few tries to realize that if you are truly there for the food experience, the places the OP picked wouldn't be where you would go. I've been to Disney a few times and I can assure you that my first trips consisted of places like Chef Mickey's, LTT, and 'Ohana. I learned from those visits that those restaurants weren't what I had in mind and moved to signature dining. This is apparently what the OP needs to do and it takes some experience and time to figure it out.

I look at the bussiness model behind Disney Food :teacher:

Its Disney's goal is to provide High Quality Theme Park Food. If you keep in mind... that for Theme Parks, they are the tops in their catagory....but they can't compete with restarants that only serve food because Disney has to deal with huge crowds, average taste, make the food so that as-many people as-possable can eat the dishes. A good resturant can cater so much more to exact taste and be so much more focused. Disney has to keep it safe to apeal to 100,000,000 from all over the world (spice it down)

A $60 meal in my hometown is probably a $90 meal at Disney because you are paying for the location....the benefit of being so close to the rides and attractions, and the time savings. Disney adds about 30% to the bill for this benefit.

So I don't compaire a $90 meal at Disney to a $90 meal at home :cool2:

I totally agree! I can't think of any other restaurants that have to feed as many people for as many hours and days as Disney does. I take that into account and do not expect fine dining at their restaurants, unless it was like V&A. I am looking forward to LTT and am glad thier mac and cheese is Stouffer's...if I do not have time to make homemade, I pick up a pan of Stouffers they are great. I don't think people mean that LTT and Stouffers are on par with fine dining, I think they are saying for what it is, it is good. It is all in your perspective.:confused3

I totally agree! I can't think of any other restaurants that have to feed as many people for as many hours and days as Disney does. I take that into account and do not expect fine dining at their restaurants, unless it was like V&A. I am looking forward to LTT and am glad thier mac and cheese is Stouffer's...if I do not have time to make homemade, I pick up a pan of Stouffers they are great. I don't think people mean that LTT and Stouffers are on par with fine dining, I think they are saying for what it is, it is good. It is all in your perspective.:confused3

Very Well Stated!!!

For the most part, I think Disney food is okay but nothing to write home about. I enjoyed Jiko (thought the flatbreads were great) the most, along with Kimonos (though the sushi was visually boring and plain), and Scifi (just for basics--I would never stray from burgers or sandwiches there, but I love the atmosphere.)

The only truly bad meals I've had at Disney World were Goods to Go at OKW (just awful food) and San Angel Inn (Tostitos as their chips was just lazy.)

Planning the dining for Disney is fun, but I do always leave realizing I get better food at home for far less money.

On our recent trip, I was definitely underwhelmed as well. I know it's theme park food, and you don't necessarily go to Disney for the food (though it seems some do), I still expected more, especially for the money you're spending on the meals....we loved Chef Mickey's breakfast, not that the food was the greatest, but IMO it was at least what you'd find at a local buffet breakfast... I enjoyed Rainforest Cafe @ AK, the atmosphere was so much fun, and the food was at least what we would've gotten at a comprable local restaurant...

In the future we'll probably eat breakfast in the world, some lunches and dinner's, but we'll definitely venture out more to eat. Because though I don't go on vacation primarily to eat, that is part of my vacation experience, and I'd like that to be enjoyable as well.

See, this is a problem of perception. For the last 7 or 8 years prior to the DDP, WDW was actively wooing foodies. We're a foodie family that enjoys everything from great burgers to escargot. And in the last 2 years, we've been severely underimpressed with the quality of food. One of the major highlights of any trip for us is the food. We have a TS meal every night no matter where we go. And seeking out good food at a reasonable price or great food at the market rate is our goal. WDW seemed be pursuing that sort of goal as well. But since the homoginization began, WDW food has lost that edge, that special something that made each and every meal at every restaurant an enjoyable adventure, even if it wasn't a culinary masterpiece. The pizazz is gone. The regionality is disapppearing. It's just become flat for us.

I never expected gourmet food at what are now labelled 1TS restaurants. But I did expect well prepared, well thought out entrees that piqued my interest. The entrees may not have been as piquantly spiced as should have been but they were interesting interpretations. That's gone. And with it is gone everything that gave each and every restaurant a unique character. That's why we're totally underwhelmed and disappointed. We've experienced what WDW restaurants were once presenting and appreciated it.

I've got to agree with several posters here that the places the OP chose to dine at aren't the the best at WDW. OK, maybe leCellier would be good, but most of the others are catering to the lowest common denominator.

For some really good dining experiences we like Artist Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Jiko, Flying Fish, Portobello Yacht Club, and Narcoossees

See, this is a problem of perception. For the last 7 or 8 years prior to the DDP, WDW was actively wooing foodies. We're a foodie family that enjoys everything from great burgers to escargot. And in the last 2 years, we've been severely underimpressed with the quality of food. One of the major highlights of any trip for us is the food. We have a TS meal every night no matter where we go. And seeking out good food at a reasonable price or great food at the market rate is our goal. WDW seemed be pursuing that sort of goal as well. But since the homoginization began, WDW food has lost that edge, that special something that made each and every meal at every restaurant an enjoyable adventure, even if it wasn't a culinary masterpiece. The pizazz is gone. The regionality is disapppearing. It's just become flat for us.

I never expected gourmet food at what are now labelled 1TS restaurants. But I did expect well prepared, well thought out entrees that piqued my interest. The entrees may not have been as piquantly spiced as should have been but they were interesting interpretations. That's gone. And with it is gone everything that gave each and every restaurant a unique character. That's why we're totally underwhelmed and disappointed. We've experienced what WDW restaurants were once presenting and appreciated it.

This seems to be a common complaint from the "foodies", that the DDP has "ruined" the Disney restaurants, not only has the quality gone down but they can no longer just walk in and be seated at any TS restaurant at whatever time they feel like eating.

The purpose of any business is to make money and Disney has succeeded in significantly increasing the business at their TS restaurants with the DDP and "bland" food so why would you expect Disney to go back to the older business model with "better" food but less than full restaurants?

And if you want truely fine dining at Disney just go to V&A's, I doubt you will be disappointed;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter