Are we nuts for bringing a 4-month-old?

ekleiber

Earning My Ears
We can't change plans now but we are bringing a 4-month-old on our first trip to Disney (along with a 7 and 4 year old).

Can someone make me feel better? I'm kind of worried!

We can't change plans now but we are bringing a 4-month-old on our first trip to Disney (along with a 7 and 4 year old).

I don't think so. We are going in April and will be taking our (will be then) 3 month old, along with our 10 and 8 year old. But, it's not our 1st trip, we go every year and are very familiar with Disney. We are excited to show Disney to our baby boy!!! :dance3:

There are many families that take small infants to Disney, but it was not something that we were willing to do - to each their own.

No, you're not nuts! Last Feb we took our 3 month old. They sleep through everything and the older kids could still do everything they wanted. (especially when they realized the benefit of the rider switch pass).

If your little one is sleeping at mealtime at a table service restaraunt notify the hostess and they often could accommodate a stroller. Not gauranteed, but worth a try. It worked for us.

Make sure to invest in a good stroller rain cover. The baby centers are very clean and I enjoyed going in there for a break.

I hope this helps! I couldn't bear the thought of taking something away from my older kids (9 and 5) because my hubby and I wanted another baby. There was never one second during the trip when we regretted taking him.

It depends. If it's a laid back baby who will sleep/eat anywhere, you'll be fine. But if it's a fussy one who needs to be in their own crib/at a specific time, bottle at a specific temperature/breast in a quiet place type baby, then I'd reconsider…

One parent can always take the older kids to the parks while the other hangs out at the hotel with the baby...

I haven't taken a baby under 8 months, but I think a 4 month old would be fine. By the third baby you should be used to a little one, the work needed won't be as shocking.

I took my DD at 8 months because I didn't want my almost 12 year old son to miss out. She was fine, Disney is very baby friendly.

A few years ago, we brought a 7 yr old, a 5 yr old, and a 5 month old. Other than our 5 yr old getting sick and having to take him to urgent care, the trip was fine. Actually, it was one of our favorite trips!

I took my youngest at 9 days old and it was her second vacation. We took her to a family reunion @ the beach the day after we got out of the hospital. Babies are very portable and your biggest worry will be lack of sleep and germs. They have wonderful baby care centers in the parks and like others have said, you can rest in the room with baby while hubby takes your older kids to the parks if you need to.

That's an awesome time to bring them, because they'll probably eat and sleep happily where ever they are. Unless you've got a fussbudget on your hands, and in that event, you already know that, and you've probably already come up with a plan.

Just go. Have fun!!

To me it depends on how often you go/plan to go. We left our younger two home for our trip so that our older two could really enjoy everything princess and their age. We could go with the flow and see what they wanted to do without worrying about a little one's schedule. BUT this was our first trip, mine and my girls!

I actually think a 4 month old would be easier to bring than a toddler/preschooler because they will usually nap on the go and if you are breastfeeding you don't have to carry anything with for food for them (bottles/baby food/ect).

Brought my last one when she was 3 months old. I had her in a wrap the entire time and would head for the baby center for a few cool breaks here and there as we went in August. I would do it with a baby anytime. It's was soo easy

We are leaving next week with our 4 month old and 2 year old. I expect my 4 monther to be a LOT easier than my toddler! I suggest practicing some stroller naps - as long as that's not a problem, Disney with an infant should be fine. My girl falls asleep 2 hrs after she last woke up like clockwork so I'm not worried.

My son went at 5mo and it was a great trip. I wasn't up for it the first couple of months but by 4 months would have been fine.

Thanks everyone! So far he is a very chill guy who loves to be in the wrap so I'm hoping that continues. I have to read up on this rider switch thing to see how we handle attractions. Thanks for the encouragement.

I went with a 5 mth, 3, 5, 7 and 9 year old. The 5 mth old was easier than the 3 and 5 year old.

You know your family best. My DS would have been a perfect baby to take at 4 months. He's incredibly happy, sleeps through the night, and likes being carried in his bjorn. My only concern would have been the germs, but I'm a little nuts about germs. I had already planned to bring our own PnPlay with us in March, and my decision was completely confirmed after reading the vomit thread.

We went this past September with our 2 month old (and 7 and 12 year old.) We had no problems, yes it was more work for me, bottles/diapers etc., but not a big deal at all. My sister took her 3 month old a couple years ago and I took my now 7 year old when she was 4 months with her 5 year old brother. It's never been an issue.

We took my daughter when she was 10 weeks old to Disneyland, with her 2 1/2 year old brother. We were there in December and it was magical.
She was a peanut, almost 6 1/2 pounds when she was born, but she stayed small. We have an amazing picture with Snow White holding her (characters aren't supposed to pick up kids). She asked to hold her.

We went with a 4 mos old and our almost 3. They were both easy. I carried the baby in a wrap and nurses in the go. So easy. She didn't sleep (At night) anywhere so that didn't matter but she slept in the wrap and sling a lot :)

We are taking out son who is 4 months old in 10 days! We can't wait :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter