Are we more likely to get bumped/put on Standby when using frequent flier miles?

At World's End

DIS Veteran
For our next trip we are all flying using frequent flier miles. I am worried about getting bumped or put on standby since we're not a "paid fare". Has anyone ever experienced this? We're flying on Alaska Air, if that makes a difference. The flights from Seattle to Orlando look like they are almost always full.

You are not put on standby simply because there wer no remaining seats to select.

Some airlines are more likely to bump you if you don't have a seat assignment.

Some airlines are more likely to bump you if you paid a lower fare.

I'm not sure but I think that when the airline asks for volunteers and states a replacement flight, anyone involuntarily bumped is entitled to that replacement flight or one getting to the destination sooner.

You are not put on standby simply because there wer no remaining seats to select.

Some airlines are more likely to bump you if you don't have a seat assignment.

Some airlines are more likely to bump you if you paid a lower fare.

I'm not sure but I think that when the airline asks for volunteers and states a replacement flight, anyone involuntarily bumped is entitled to that replacement flight or one getting to the destination sooner.

With the new laws first off I don't know the particulars but if you are bumped you are entitled to $600 or $800 maybe it was more, so when you take the other flights you forefit that right. That's why they may offer you a voucher for $350 or something to use later, plus a voucher for dinner or a hotel. Knowing that the can get this incentive people usually volunteer if they have the flexibility. These laws have also been a big incentive to airlines not to bump anyone.

I am worried about getting bumped or put on standby since we're not a "paid fare". Has anyone ever experienced this?

No, I have never been bumped and I fly on FF tickets all the time. Check in at the 24 hour mark and you should be fine.

Thanks for the information. We have seat assignments, and I will check in online the day before. I would love to get bumped on the way back. We did this once coming home from Paris and we each got $600 cash, an extra night in Paris, three free meals, plus they upgraded the return flight to first class.:woohoo:

I was worried because on our last trip we had paid for our seats (very cheap fare), checked in online the day before and had seat assignments, but Delta still tried to put us on standby in our connecting city. :scared1:

I fly mostly on free tickets purchased with FF points & have never been bumped because of it. I've never flown Alaska Air, however, usually USAir, Delta, Continental & United.

Thanks for the information. We have seat assignments, and I will check in online the day before. I would love to get bumped on the way back. We did this once coming home from Paris and we each got $600 cash, an extra night in Paris, three free meals, plus they upgraded the return flight to first class.:woohoo:

I was worried because on our last trip we had paid for our seats (very cheap fare), checked in online the day before and had seat assignments, but Delta still tried to put us on standby in our connecting city. :scared1:

yes, I have been bumped by Northwest because I was the lowest level passenger on the flight per the gate person. I used FF miles for both DH and me to fly on Memorial Day weekend in 2008. The flight was oversold and NO one would take a voluntary bump since it was Friday night of a holiday weekend. I was denied boarding when my boarding pass buzzed when I tried to get on the plane. When I asked if they really would split my DH and I on different planes, the gate person pushed some buttons and let me board. Of course, all she did was put my DH as the person to be bumped. He was right behind me in line so HIS boarding pass buzzed when he tried to go through. I learned from that to never have both of us flying on FF miles at the same time.

In the end, the whole flight was postponed until Sat morning and when we got back to Detroit in the monring, one person didn't show up. I got her seat in the end.

My husband and I both always fly together on FF miles. Neither of us have ever been bumped and I know we have flown on some overbooked planes.

The flight was oversold and NO one would take a voluntary bump since it was Friday night of a holiday weekend. .
What did they offer and how much?

I volunteer quite often and this gives me an idea: Counteroffer. To say to the gate agent, "I will volunteer and take such and such..."

A common negotiating point is a dollar off voucher instead of a round trip ticket. However when I am willing to take the round trip ticket they do offer, they will still argue with someone else (with more status) instead of choose me quickly.

What did they offer and how much?

I volunteer quite often and this gives me an idea: Counteroffer. To say to the gate agent, "I will volunteer and take such and such..."

A common negotiating point is a dollar off voucher instead of a round trip ticket. However when I am willing to take the round trip ticket they do offer, they will still argue with someone else (with more status) instead of choose me quickly.

I don't remember, to tell you the truth. I know that it was the last flight of the day on a holiday weekend Friday night to a small airport in Elmira, NY. Everyone wanted to go home or get to their destination for whatever reason. Including me. I wanted to be on the plane for our vacation weekend, not waiting until the next morning to start.

Whatever the offer was wasn't enough to get any volunteers. The gate agent was very clear as to why I was being bumped- because I had the lowest class ticket on the plane (FF miles.)

When we returned from that trip, I made sure we were at the airport hours in advance. The Northwest counter person told me that they bumped people based on order of checkin. Since I was there so early, I was assured I would not lose my seat on the plane (another oversolf flight) just because I was flying with FF miles. Whoever got to the airport last would be the bumped customer.

In other words, no standard policy.

Typcially people traveling on FF miles are less likely to be bumped in situations where flights are oversold not because of the award ticket but rather because of their status within the loyalty program. One factor in the elusive algorithm of musical seat miles. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter