• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are we foolish???

Jon99

DIS Veteran
After reading the post about retirement savings my wife and I started talking, we are both 38 years old and we have almost ZERO saved, though we did just start a Roth and plan on investing a few hundred dollars a month...

No, its not THAT bad.. :)

We are both teachers, this year we will make about $120K, when we retire our pension will pay us 75% of our highest earning years, plus a 3% COL increase.. On top of that, we have inherited 80 acres of farmland that will bring us about $12K a year in revenue (that income currently goes to my parents)...

Is this pretty sound strategy? Or are we missing the boat?

I don't think it's as bad as you may think. If you're paying into a state pension fund, then you are saving something for retirement. Most people no longer have access to a traditional "pension" therefore they invest in IRAs or use their employer's 401ks etc. As long as you live within your means once on retirement, I would think you'd have enough.

Or am I missing something? :confused3

I guess are biggest fear is what if the state pension goes the way of the United Airlines pension???

We have 75% of our income locked into place, with the farmland income thats another 10%, so we are at 85% of our current income without saving a dime..

We are in a similar boat, My Dh is in the Air Force when he retires he will get 75% of his base pay. With his Military retirement we will also have health insurance which will be a large saving especially for prescriptions. DD will be finished with high school and almost finished with college (Florida Prepaid) when DH gets out of the Military, so we will see large reduction in expenditures as well. Plus he will continue to work after the Air Force for about 15yrs and we figure about 30-40% of that will also be saved.

One of the resons we have decided for DH to stay in the Military is the retirement plan.

Jon99 said:
After reading the post about retirement savings my wife and I started talking, we are both 38 years old and we have almost ZERO saved, though we did just start a Roth and plan on investing a few hundred dollars a month...

We are both teachers, this year we will make about $120K, when we retire our pension will pay us 75% of our highest earning years, plus a 3% COL increase.. On top of that, we have inherited 80 acres of farmland that will bring us about $12K a year in revenue (that income currently goes to my parents)...

I would seek out a Certified Financial Planner who works independently and is not working for a brokerage house. They can help you look at both short and long term goals and help devise a plan that works for you. As your goals change then then you would just need to make adjustments to the origal plan. Starting now you could truly have a great retirement!

I have never felt comfortable keeping all of my eggs in one basket, especially now that pension funds are dropping out left and right.

Best of Luck

the issue i would be concerned about is if one or both of you were to become disabled prior to retirement. i worked for government and would have had a nice sized pension if i had made it to retirement age-i became disabled so now my pension is capped at 40% plus a small cola each year (which gets eaten up by the increased cost for health insurance).

My husband and I too are on teacher's salaries. We do have a financial planner. In addition to the state retirement plan, he has us each putting away the maximum each year to the optional 403B. It'll make you feel better and it is easy to live without once you get used to it. It also reduces your tax burden now because the money is withdrawn pre-tax.

I agree that my main concern woud be the health of the pension plan. Ohio's is in a mess right now, and several of my friends are scurrying to decide what to do about it. My husband was advised 7 years ago when he went to work for the University that the alternate plan was much safer, and not to use pers to get insurance.

noodleknitter said:
I agree that my main concern woud be the health of the pension plan. Ohio's is in a mess right now, and several of my friends are scurrying to decide what to do about it. My husband was advised 7 years ago when he went to work for the University that the alternate plan was much safer, and not to use pers to get insurance.
I know that Illinois is also in trouble. This is probably what is going to happen in more states. I have also read that many taxpayers will be against this pension funds being supported by taxes when they watch their pension funds go down the tubes.

DVCSadie has good advise. Don'e keep all of your eggs in one basket.

I think putting something away in case the pension fails is smart. Besides, then you can be like the teachers I know retiring now who both saved for retirement and got pensions - they have incomes of well over 100% of what they had while they were working - and that isn't a horrible place to be.

Jon99 said:

I'm a teacher too, and I think our pensions are about as stable as anything is today; however, that's NO guarantee, and I don't want to base my future on something that could possibly change! I agree with the people who say it's risky to have all your eggs in one basket. My random comments:

You're just a few years younger than I am. Your future pension benefits, of course, are based upon you working probably 15 or so more years. Since teaching isn't so much a physical job (like construction), it's unlikely that health concerns would prevent you from completing your remaining years. However, it's wise to have disability insurance in place in case your work years must be interrupted for any reason.

If you're like me, you'll complete your 30 years of teaching at around age 55, but your social security won't kick in until -- what? -- 67 or so? You'll still be young. Will your pension be enough? Will you work part-time at a different job? Your pension plan might have something called "social security leveling". That means that you agree to accept a smaller amount of pension -- for life. From 55 (or whatever age you retire) to 67, the state pays that reduced amount, PLUS the amount you'll eventually receive from SS. Then at at 67, the state continues to pay you the reduced amount of pension and the feds kick in your SS. These are decisions to make once retirement is closer and you know better the state of your health, etc.; however, it's a good idea to have a plan in mind.

What plans do you have for the farmland? What does it cost you to own it? My family owns farm land too, and it's pretty much a break-even deal; the taxes and the income are pretty close. Is this an asset you could sell, if necessary?

Do you have any outstanding debts? Credit cards, etc.? If so, you need to pay them off as soon as possible. They're taking away from your future earnings.

Do you currently own a home? If so, that's another big asset in your favor. Where do you intend to live during retirement?

Along with your pensions, will you receive state health care for life? I ask because that's part of my pension plan -- I'll get basic health coverage, and I can buy basic health coverage for my husband. In addition, I expect to buy a supplemental insurance plan and long-term care insurance. Health care is the biggest question mark in retirement planning. It's hard to predict or control those costs.

The Roth is a good start, but you should do more -- and soon so that the magic of compound interest can work for you. If you have long-term savings, a pension, social security (though it is something of a question mark), health insurance, and a paid-for house by the time you retire, you'll be pretty well set. Your holdings will be diversified so that if one part of the puzzle should disappear, you might feel the pinch, but you won't be lost.

Finally, I personally dislike the idea of saying you need to replace a certain percentage of your income for retirement -- it just doesn't make sense to me. I think it is more sensible to consider the lifestyle you intend to lead during retirement and make sure you can fund it. Let me explain: Right now my husband and I have two young children, and we spend a great deal on them! We're looking at a set of braces for each one, we're saving for their educations, soon we'll be paying car insurance for them, plus we're saving for our retirement -- something we'll stop doing once we retire . . . we have a lot of expenses that will be gone by the time we retire! So we could enjoy the same lifestyle we do now, but we could spend less money. We also intend to sell our large house and buy a condo on the lake (our house is paid for, so hopefully that'll be something of an even trade), and we want to travel a great deal during our retirement years. Once we're both retired, we intend to cut back to one car, which will be a huge savings. I expect to spend more on insurance as we age. So, our expenses will be different -- it makes sense to me to be specific about your wants rather than to aim for a random percentage.

Get a financial planner... it does sound like you could be doing more.

I have been with Edward Jones for years and been very happy with them.

One thing, we do not pay into SS as teachers, so we will not recieve SS benefits except possibly from income I earn from a small lawncare business I own...

Illinois teachers need 35 years of service to qualify for a full (75%) pension, meaning I can retire at age 55 and my wife at 57.. She did her masters before she started working and has more sick time because of maternity leave, so she actually needs to work 2 years longer than I do..

Right now, our plan is that once we retire we will put in about 50 days each of substituting, earning around $8K in todays dollars.. Our pension does include health coverage as well...

I'm a teacher, and both my parents (and multiple other family members, we're a weird family, mostly educators) are retired teachers (WI). The big change for them was that when my father retired five years ago, his insurance between retirement and 65 will be paid for (per contract), but my mom, who only retired this past year, will have to pay a portion of her insurance (which will rise yearly) until 65 (renegotiated contract, not so good). Makes a big difference in monthly $$.

DH and I also don't have much put away except my pension (we're the same age as you), but are working on it, as well. Hard to do, but worth it in the end.

Good luck!

Terri

mickeyfan2 said:
I know that Illinois is also in trouble. This is probably what is going to happen in more states. I have also read that many taxpayers will be against this pension funds being supported by taxes when they watch their pension funds go down the tubes.

DVCSadie has good advise. Don'e keep all of your eggs in one basket.

Many state, city and local pensions are facing the same issues as corporate pensions.

Here's a bit on this from the Frontline website.....

Cities and states are facing the same red ink with their pension trust funds as are private companies and corporations.

Nationwide, pension monies currently promised to state and local workers and retirees total an estimated $2 trillion. But the shortfall in funds to pay this amount is estimated at $460-700 billion. How did the situation get so bad?

Like corporations, states and cities invest their pension trust funds. In fact, Calpers, the California Public Employees Retirement System, is one of the largest pots of investment money in the world. During the stock market boom of the 1990s, public pension funds' investments reaped the same high returns as private funds. Many state and local governments, like many corporations, used the windfall as an excuse to reduce their contributions to their pension funds. When the boom ended, governments found themselves scrambling to make up the difference.

To make matters worse, cities and states are not subject to ERISA, the federal law for private sector pension plans. Without ERISA-style rules, it's easier for state and local governments to make unfundable pension promises. San Diego, dubbed "the Enron-by-the-Sea" in one New York Times headline, is the poster child for this problem. Now teetering near bankruptcy, San Diego has racked up $1.5 billion in pension debt, another $1 billion in retiree health care debt, and faces six conflict-of-interest indictments against members of its pension board, who cut deals to raise benefits while letting the city underfund its plans.

In addition, state and local governments don't have a pension insurance system like the federal Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC) that guarantees private sector pensions. They must either raise taxes to cover their debts or float bonds, passing the interest on to another generation of taxpayers. And while distressed cities like San Diego can elect Chapter 9 bankruptcy to walk away from their pension promises, states have no such recourse.

Faced with these shortfalls, some states are following the private sector's lead and shifting their employees into 401(k)-style retirement plans:

-- After estimating that its pension plan was short $5.7 billion, Alaska dropped lifetime pensions for new hires, offering instead a 401(k)-style plan. Alaska also reworked its health care benefits for state employees, shifting more of the cost onto workers and retirees.

-- Michigan has done away with lifetime pensions for new employees.

-- Oregon has taken the middle ground, capping some pension benefits for current employees and offering new hires cash-balance or "hybrid" plans instead.

-- And California is talking about dropping pensions. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has seized on San Diego's plight to call for a statewide shift to 401(k)-style plans. If California, a bellwether state on social and economic issues, were to dump pensions, many other states could follow.

Jon99 said:
One thing, we do not pay into SS as teachers, so we will not recieve SS benefits except possibly from income I earn from a small lawncare business I own...

Illinois teachers need 35 years of service to qualify for a full (75%) pension, meaning I can retire at age 55 and my wife at 57.. She did her masters before she started working and has more sick time because of maternity leave, so she actually needs to work 2 years longer than I do..

Right now, our plan is that once we retire we will put in about 50 days each of substituting, earning around $8K in todays dollars.. Our pension does include health coverage as well...

Jon....

If you own a small business, this could be a great way for your to funnel money into a Self-employed or Solo 401K. You are eligible to invest the first 15K in profit right off the top. If you get that far you can put an additional 20% of your profit in beyond that up to a total of 44K a year. I have my solo 401K with Fidelity....

It's really frightening to me to see so many people suggest seeing a financial planner. My experience is that the people that ended being financial planners are always the people that were in the bottom of the class, or majored in something non-finance related and became financial planners because they couldn't get any other job.

Chances are you're smarter these people and could do much better with just minimal independent research and without giving up any of your pie.

corndog said:
It's really frightening to me to see so many people suggest seeing a financial planner. My experience is that the people that ended being financial planners are always the people that were in the bottom of the class, or majored in something non-finance related and became financial planners because they couldn't get any other job.

Chances are you're smarter these people and could do much better with just minimal independent research and without giving up any of your pie.

That's quite a generalization.

A certified financial planner has credentials and the good one's out there know what they are doing. Of course, they vary in requirements and intensity, but I always suggest consulting with a CFP. Again, there are good one's out there. I don't have the link, but there are quite a few legitimate resources to find them.

We don't know all the variables of the OP. We only know a segment of his life. We don't know if he has disability insurance, children or other dependents, older parents who may need medical care, liabilities/assets beyond what he has shared, etc. nor do we know his goals/dreams/pursuits besides retirement.

There are just too many variables to consider.

I can't post urls yet since I don't post very often. Go to cfp (dot) com, then click on the "find a cfp" (or some such) link in the left-hand column.

Sweeping generalizations are never a good idea. There is a HUGE difference between someone called "financial advisor" or "financial planner" who works for a bank or AmEx or a brokerage house and a true Certified Financial Planner. A CFP must pass an licensing exam similar in scope and depth to the CPA or state bar exam.

A CFP can work for a bank or a brokerage or may have a stand-alone practice. Please consult the above link to find a CFP in your area.

My dh, a CFP for ten years, sees clients *every day* who thought they could do it better themselves. A little knowledge gleaned from the internet is a dangerous thing! He is then faced with telling them that they cannot afford to retire.

LuckyMamaInDE said:
I can't post urls yet since I don't post very often. Go to cfp (dot) com, then click on the "find a cfp" (or some such) link in the left-hand column.

Sweeping generalizations are never a good idea. There is a HUGE difference between someone called "financial advisor" or "financial planner" who works for a bank or AmEx or a brokerage house and a true Certified Financial Planner. A CFP must pass an licensing exam similar in scope and depth to the CPA or state bar exam.

A CFP can work for a bank or a brokerage or may have a stand-alone practice. Please consult the above link to find a CFP in your area.

My dh, a CFP for ten years, sees clients *every day* who thought they could do it better themselves. A little knowledge gleaned from the internet is a dangerous thing! He is then faced with telling them that they cannot afford to retire.

Very well said. The CFP exam is very difficult. And yes, there are lots of folks out there who call themselves "financial advisors" who operate as nothing more than salespeople looking to sell you company products. A fee-based CFP is a whole different person....

Everyone should pay for at *least* one session with a CFP. We did this when we were young and it set us on a path to becoming wealthy. Now, sure...we're on autopilot. We invest for ourselves in index funds with very low fees. We also did our homework ahead of time and had an excellent idea about how much money we'd need in retirement. This is one area where many people are deluding themselves. I can't even begin to tell you how many articles I've read that are written by CFPs talking about the never ending job of delivering the "bad news" to new unsuspecting clients.

As we near retirement I see us sitting down once again with a CFP to make sure we understand all the ramifications of which money to withdrawl first and why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter