• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are we crazy?

specrn

Mouseketeer
We went to Disney in December with our 6 yr old and 2.5yo and had a blast. Stayed at Kidani Village. We are trying to come up with a 4 or 5 day trip over 4th of July and ALL we can think of is...Disney. Would be crazy to go JUST to stay at the resort and hang out at the pool etc? We are very concerned about the sun (not so much the heat) and we know in the pool we'd have our full body rashguards on and sunscreen and hats. Maybe we'd go to the parks 1 or 2 days, but our focus would be just enjoying the resort and whatever else is around, NOT driving ourselves crazy in the parks. Maybe a character meal or two. Is that a little nuts?

We can't think of anywhere else to go with the kids, and we realize everywhere will be hot. Is it THAT much hotter in FL than in NY over 4th of July? We thought about the Bahamas or someplace but at least at Disney we'd have the pool and/or lots of other options. We'd prob either stay at the AOA Finding Nemo area or Ft. Wilderness Cabins. Any thoughts/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks so much!

We've gone the WDW for the fourth many years before kids we went for as short as 48 hours. It's a really near time to be there; I would strongly recommend the Epcot fireworks on the 4th they are our favorite. We are in the mid west it's no hotter there than it is here in mid July. You don't have to go park commando to have a good time!

July in Orlando will be hot and very humid. Sound like you have a good plan to stay cool.

These days, we generally only vacation at Disney with the kids. Everyone has a great time.

We went last July and had a blast. Enjoy the resort, try one of the water parks, and maybe just a little time at the parks.

I would choose somewhere cooler, especially for the amount of money it costs to stay at Disney. It's not crazy, but not what I would choose.

Thanks for the replies - for those who have recommended other places. Anywhere specific? We can't come up with anything with a 6 and 2.5yo.

We stayed at Windsor Hills the last time we went to Florida and we really enjoyed it. They have a nice pool area and it's close to WDW if you want to go to DTD or a character meal. We rented through Dave Robinson and had a great experience. www.vacationcentralflorida.com

Many beach hotels also have a pool and/or water play areas. Might be an option.

I'd love to stay at Disney sometime and just enjoy the resort. I know when we stayed at POR there was so much we didn't have time to do with all of our park days. I'd definitely do a park on the 4th at least in the evening to enjoy a little 4th of July atmosphere and fireworks :) (and if you weren't planning on many rides you could use your FP for that).
If you are going to do Orlando I'd personally do on-site, I just think they aren't like any other resort/hotel I've been to. The only other option I'd want is to stay closer to the beach somewhere.

We really want to take a trip like this, except at Christmastime, to enjoy all the resort decorations. It would be fun at Fourth of July, too, especially if you could get to a fireworks viewing area at Poly or CR super early to be guaranteed to see them. It's not so much hotter in FL than NY in July. You should be fine if you plan to spend afternoons at the pool. Look into the special things to do at resorts like rent a golf cart at FW. Your days will be packed.

Any thoughts on which on-site resort if we are just going to hang and worry much about parks? AOA maybe for the pool but are there more activities there for the under 6 crowd? How about Ft W Cabins for with 2 and 6yo? CR is out because resort just isn 't too kid-oriented. I've heard the Swan/Dolphin are great thru Starwood for proximity to BW and Beach Club?

If I was just hanging out at resort I would do one with great pool area for younger kids and proximity to Epcot so BC/YC come to mind.

I have done WDW over the forth once but it has been a while ago. It was indeed VERY hot and crowded. We choose to not repeat that week again. Prices are at their peek that week but that is going to be pretty much the story anywhere you choose that week. A few thoughts:
-Will your 6 year old be upset being back at WDW and not going into the parks?
-There are tons of activities outside of the parks but many do cost. Be sure to balance out the cost of these compared to a few days in the parks.
-When you looks at resorts, remember that kid theme is not always the best indicator. Look at pools, food courts, transportation etc. My 7 year old loves CSR.
-FW cabins are a GREAT place to visit. A kitchen, room to roam a bit and a boat ride that gets you to the mono-rail.

Good luck. It's not a choice we would make but you can make it work and have a great time.
-

If I were to go back to just hang at the resort I'd chose Port Orleans Riverside. It's a huge resort, beautiful grounds, boats to downtown disney, all sorts of fun things to rent, carriage rides, table service restaurant and quick service restaurant, nightly campfires, nightly movies, great fun pool and lots of little quiet pools, Yeehaw Bob....seriously, so much to do.

With two young kids, and if planning to stay at the resort, Id stay at the Beach or Yacht Club

The pool is amazing, the sand bottom kiddie area is huge, it has 2 water slides, one for little ones and a super big one for everyone else. Its within walking distance to Epcot, and the Boardwalk area for entertainment, there is a character meal for breakfast in the resort, and you cna also view Epcot's fireworks from the beach or the pool

You are not crazy:) We stayed at Fort Wilderness last 4th of July for 3 nights, there was so much to do we never left the resort.

We went to Disney in December with our 6 yr old and 2.5yo and had a blast. Stayed at Kidani Village. We are trying to come up with a 4 or 5 day trip over 4th of July and ALL we can think of is...Disney. Would be crazy to go JUST to stay at the resort and hang out at the pool etc? We are very concerned about the sun (not so much the heat) and we know in the pool we'd have our full body rashguards on and sunscreen and hats. Maybe we'd go to the parks 1 or 2 days, but our focus would be just enjoying the resort and whatever else is around, NOT driving ourselves crazy in the parks. Maybe a character meal or two. Is that a little nuts?

We can't think of anywhere else to go with the kids, and we realize everywhere will be hot. Is it THAT much hotter in FL than in NY over 4th of July? We thought about the Bahamas or someplace but at least at Disney we'd have the pool and/or lots of other options. We'd prob either stay at the AOA Finding Nemo area or Ft. Wilderness Cabins. Any thoughts/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, not crazy at all. We have never been over the 4th of July, but we go in August. Sun block and some breaks during the day keep the sun at bay.

I would think the kids may enjoy the theming at AOA with the larger than life characters and themed pools. I have need stayed in the Wilderness cabins so cannot compare.

Suggestions for other vacation spots: Niagra Falls, Canada side has a lot do to for the kids and we enjoyed it. Not Disney, but a good change of pace for a shorter vacation. We also have been to Aruba. Mostly pool and beaches for kids activities. Just some thoughts. Universal has the HP expansion opening as well.

I don't think you're crazy, I would love to do just a short trip and stay at the resorts. We often miss all the resorts have to offer!

Although, I don't know if I could resist the temptation of the parks being sooooo close and not going in.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter