• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are we crazy -- with 3 kids???

laurafaith

Mouseketeer
ok so we really wanted to go on a disney cruise this summer...but we just found out that we are expecting baby number 3 this august!!

so we are thinking about planning a trip for next summer....we will have 3 kids at that point....a 9 year old, a 5 year old and a 9-12 month year old...are we crazy??? any advice, tips that could be helpful!

p.s. -- we are first time cruisers :)

ok so we really wanted to go on a disney cruise this summer...but we just found out that we are expecting baby number 3 this august!!

so we are thinking about planning a trip for next summer....we will have 3 kids at that point....a 9 year old, a 5 year old and a 9-12 month year old...are we crazy??? any advice, tips that could be helpful!

You are totally not crazy!! We went on the 11 night Southern Caribbean for Christmas. We have 4 kids. 15, 10, 7 and 2. It was fantastic. We ate alone most night because the kids didn't want to leave the clubs to go with us. We barely saw our 15 and 10 year olds the whole cruise. The nursary staff were amazing. I felt so comfortable leaving our daughter in there. One night we picked her up she was playing with Peter Pan and the other night she was sitting on Snow White's lap. It was the most relaxing vacation to take with kids. I would totally recommend it. In fact we have a back to back on the Disney Dream scheduled for next Christmas. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I know it can be intimidating but it really isn't.

Our first cruise was in 2008...with 3 kids..then DD18mths...DD11 and DS14...we had a great time...however, I was stressed cause I overplanned and tried to do everything...you cant...lol...the joke was my DH was ready to throw me overboard (Love that movie btw)..ok....with the clubs and nursery....we still had adult time...loved the pool...
I would say...make time for you and hubby while kids are in their clubs...prepare for the unexpected...never knowing what kind of moods the kids may be in...relax....you can only do so much...and think of ALL the wonderful photos and the memories you will have:)

Congratulations on baby number 3. Coming from a mom with a family of 4 kids all born within 2-1/2 years and now all grown with families of their own. You are not the least bit crazy. Special memories shared by your kids and you and your spouse are some of the most important things you can do to build those strong family bonds. Get away from the norm, go on vacations together and make many of those special memories to share! You will never regret it!

You will have a great time, even with the three kids. I have three small ones and we have done several DCL cruises and always had a blast! We have taken our kids when they were babies and have put them in the nursery. The staff really is wonderful. Our youngest sailed with us when she was 4 months, our middle guy was almost two and our oldest was five. Everyone had a great time and we still bring all three on DCl. Yes there will be stressful times but most will be wonderful and happy! Enjoy!

As the mother of four children (born within a 5 year span) I say a Disney cruise is the BEST way to vacation...My husband agrees wholeheartedly

We were able to have time to do what we wanted while the boys were free to do their own thing as well. On other vacations, it was more like more work. I know I hear all these people saying that vacation is a time to spend with your family and make memories, and while that may be true, sometime too much togetherness (among four boys) leads to arguments/temper trantrums/meltdowns.

Thats the beauty of the cruise. When you want to be together you can be, but it is also a way for you to take breaks and enjoy yourselves separately too. Having a baby will require you to schedule your alone time, but at least its an option.

We are going on our third DCL cruise next June. Our youngest was 4 on our first cruise, 7 on the second and 11 on the third and has loved it each time. So has our oldest who will be 16 1/2 on the June Cruise. I cannot say enough good things about it.

So, not surprisingly, I say NO, youre not crazy at all :)

Lori P. :)

The answer is yes. You will be crazy with three kids, regardless of any vacation plans or not. :)

You may have to do some extra planning, but I would think a Disney cruise vacation would be very good for a family. The main thing I would check out is whether or not you could go on the shore excursions you want given the ages of your family members. Otherwise, I would think the excellent kids activities and babysitting services would make a cruise ideal.

Our girls were 3 and 4 when we went on our first cruise and it was a great family trip for all of us, You can make it as active or as relaxing as you want to. One warning though: my girls didn't always want to go to the clubs and I was very shocked by that because the activities always looked like so much fun. They would want to go in there but would not be happy with us leaving them. I have worked with them on separation anxiety so I am hoping on this next cruise they will be more willing for us to leave them.

We recently sailed WC on the Magic without kids. Those we talked to sailing as a family said their kids where having a great time, and so were they! We just booked a summer 2012 cruise to bring along our 5 kids.....ranging in age from 17-27 so it will be a little easier than your ages!;)

Hi and Congratulations!:banana:

First of all, I don't think you are crazy to want to plan an amazing and memorable trip your entire family will enjoy. Far from it, in fact. And babies can be such fun at that age :-)

As for tips... If it is possible and practical, you might want to see if there are any other family members or good friends who might want to book the same trip at the same time of course :). For your older children, the kids clubs will probably work out great (heck, you will be lucky if you see them). And while there is a nursery aboard (which we didn't use on our first cruise because they said that acting like a baby didn't count, you actually had to be one so I was out of luck with the DH, but by all accounts is terrific), you are limited on how much time you can book there and the slots can fill up fast.

Having another trusted grown up or two (or more if you are really lucky) along opens up your options a bit not just where the baby is concerned, but where the older kids are as well.

If you check the DCL website under the Planning section, Gifts and Amenities tab there is information about a service. called Babies Travel Lite which offers just about everything you could need to travel with an infant and simplifies packing immeasurably. You can order, food, diapers, wipes and hundreds of other necessities which will be waiting in your stateroom when you come aboard.

You can also mail packages to the ship ahead of time which will be delivered to you as your trip gets underway. This is a great way to get sand toys or other bulky, hard to pack items where you want them, when you want them with relative ease.

You can also make your life a bit easier by packing your kids oldest play clothes for wearing on or off the ship (especially if they are going to get wet or messy) and then discarding them after use to free up luggage space and keep from having to carry home suitcases full of dirty clothes. Alternatively, you can plan to pack really light and try to do laundry aboard ship. I hear getting a washer and dryer can be competitive as there can sometimes be a whole lot more folks wanting to use them than there are machines, but it is an option. If you can find single use washer sheets, those can be handy.

You can also make your own by taking a wash cloth and soaking it in your favorite liquid detergent, letting it dry and then packing it in a tiptop sandwich bag. When you are ready to wash, just toss it in with the load as the washer fills. No muss, no fuss.

You might also check into renting a stroller instead of trying to pack your own, especially if you are flying.

Oh and be sure to budget for buying the photo cd if possible (so you don't have to try to juggle a baby and a camera at the photo spots. If you do decide to get the cd then take advantage of every photo op (Disney cruises are a great place to get amazing family portraits done - lots of families use the Asa chance to get their holiday card pics). If you get the cd you will get all the pictures taken of your peeps but they won't have the special borders and effects.

One thing you can be sure of is that your entire family will have an wonderful time.

I hope that helped. Congratulations again, I hope you have a happy, easy pregnancy and a beautiful, healthy baby.

Take care,

Tisza

thanks everyone for your encouragment...after reading a TON on these boards...and talking to the hubby i think we are going to take the plunge and book for next summer....THANK YOU!!!

like pp's have stated ...not crazy at all...now if you wouldve said another cruiseline I would say yes you are crazy!! even I am intimidated by the size of Allure on RCCL and I brave almost everything with my two little ones alone..

thanks everyone for your encouragment...after reading a TON on these boards...and talking to the hubby i think we are going to take the plunge and book for next summer....THANK YOU!!!

Just returned off the Magic last week with kids 8, 4 and 10 months - so pretty close to your kids in age.

It is doable, but a few things to remember-

You probably will not be able to book shore excursions through Disney and find anything the oldest will enjoy that you can go along with the others. We did the beach on our own and had a great time (would highly recommend Le Galion on the Eastern Carribean)

Pre-book your baby in the nursery every evening - but especially on Pirate Night. You don't want to hold him for an hour and try and keep an eye on the other two - if baby is in the nursery you can dance with the oldest two and have fun.

Consider giving the oldest sign-out priveleges. It was one less hassle to just send him to the clubs without having to wait in that line too! And it is easier for them to sign themselves out than for you to wait in the line to get them. My son usually went to the club for specific activities and we would make sure he knew where to go when the activity was over and he would just check himself out and meet us.

Don't forget the umbrella stroller. I wouold also recommend some type of carrier (I use an ergo baby). It is nice for cab rides to have the baby strapped to you. Plus, as you will soon find out, at 3 the kids outnumber you and you only have TWO hands. Keeping the littlest strapped to you frees up one had for each of the older two!!!

ALso, while there are great beach strollers, they are at the entrance to the family beach which can be a little walk or a tram ride. I didn't realize this and left the ergo baby on the ship and wished I would have had it for the walk to the beach. There was such a mad dash for the trams, after I got cut off trying to get on with the kids and baby twice, I just walked it!!!

When travelling with a stroller, be patient with elevators. We made everyone take the steps except the person pushing the stroller - but with a stroller and other kids you can be a little slow and lots of people will race ahead of you and take the elevators - so you have to wait a few times to get one. Alternatively, I carried the baby and DH just carried the stroller.

Try and eat buffets in Parrot Cay (or whatever the equivalent is on the new ships) and avoid Topsiders. While they are supposed to have people to help your kids carry trays, we found it to be very inconsistent and you don't want to get to the end of a buffet line and have three trays and a baby with only one adult. If you go to Parrot CAy, they seat you first and bring drinks so it is a ton easier to navigate through the buffet lines. They are open for breakfast on shore days, but not the sea days since they do the character breakfast there.

There are no outdoor tables that accomodate 5 - only 4. If baby is in a highchair, that will work. Either way, plan on trying to flag someone down to find a 5th chair or highchair whenever you want to sit outside. Even inside Topsiders, most of the tables accomodate 4. I don't think people travelling with older kids notice this as much since those kids can easily find and haul over a chair, but it is noticeable with smaller kids when you're occupied with a baby!!

If you do the FE gift exchange, be prepared for your room to look like a Pinata exploded over everything. Add to that the normal mess that comes with a baby (and 2 older ones) along with the tight spaces and your stateroom can be difficult to manage. After the first 2 days, I gave each of the older 2 a drawer to keep FE stuff and our "Happy Meal" rule went into place - with Happy Meal and other small toys, the rule is you can keep it as long as the drawer closes. Once the drawer no longer closes, it is time to go through and get rid of something before you add any more!!!

THe ships dry cleaning and laundry arent super expensive. I live in DC so my comparisons may be skewed, however, we had 2 suits, 2 shirts, and a pair of slacks pressed and my formal dress cleaned and pressed for LESS than I pay at my local cleaners - right around $20. I don't do laundry on vacation unless it is an emergency. It is pretty easy to send out a pair of slacks to be cleaned if needed to you don't need to do laundry or pack extra pants!!

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter