Are we able to carry on our luggage?

5onadime

Mouseketeer
I am wondering if we are able to keep our luggage with us when we board in Vancouver. We are traveling with overhead airplane size luggage. I am hearing about some strikes that are going on and thought it might be more convent for us.

Yes you can, we did this on our Dream Europe sailing as we only travel with a carry-on and bookbag and I hate having it banged around and having a potential 6 or 7 suitcases piled on top of it getting loaded onto the ship.

We carried on our own luggage for our July cruise. We each had a rolling carryon and DH had a backpack. I much prefer that to having it slammed around to load onto the ship. Yes we had to wheel it around for about 2 hours, but then as soon as cabins were open we could unpack inatead of waiting for it to show up

We just sailed (not DCL) out of Vancouver on July 30. No strikes then, I think they are over??? Anyway, we only carried on backpacks and I was quite happy not to have more - it was already hot and a little unwieldy to have stuff with us while trying to navigate the buffet, etc. We got on our ship around 11am and rooms weren't ready till 1pm. But yes, you can certainly keep your carryon sized luggage with you if you want.

We carry on all the time-especially on shorter cruises. I like being able roll right into the stateroom and unpack when staterooms open.

Stateroom "cheat" that I've used when I carry-on one~two 12-packs of my favorite softdrink on-board:

Know the elevator/stairs and the side of the ship that is closest to your stateroom. Sometimes one's room is pretty close, say only 4~5 doors past that blue rope/ribbon indicating "None shall pass!"

I do this solo as DW would be too embarrassed . . . but IF one gets the attention of one of the StateRoom hosts who might be walking in the right direction, and IF one asks nicely (and perhaps offers a small gratuity), it's POSSIBLE that the host may dump your carry-on bag outside your room, where it will eventually be accompanied by other luggage.

I have even occasionally been permitted to drop my carry-on inside our room. Ymmv.

iI am resurrecting this thread with a new spin on the original question: Can you carry your checked-size suitcase onto the ship? In other words, not unlike an express walk-off where you carry all your luggage off the ship, can you "express walk-on" and carry all your luggage ONTO the ship?

iI am resurrecting this thread with a new spin on the original question: Can you carry your checked-size suitcase onto the ship? In other words, not unlike an express walk-off where you carry all your luggage off the ship, can you "express walk-on" and carry all your luggage ONTO the ship?
No. All bags need to go through security. Just like an airline, if the suitcase is larger than typical carry-on size it won't fit through the scanner must be checked.

I always over pack even for a short cruise. Dinner clothes and Palo attire, so I always check them and bring a tote or backpack with the important essential stuff.

I also, do not like dragging my bags around. If you board early you have time for lunch and exploring the ship.

I leave on my next DCL in 25 days. Happy cruising everyone!🚢😎🚢🌴👍🏻

We sailed out to Vancouver a while ago, and even though it wasn't Disney, the port staff and facilities are the same. Sharing this because of the bag size.

Our family each had a full size (checked bag) and back pack. Due to some confusion by the port staff we ended up being routed through the whole boarding process by the staff and never dropped our bags. It was never questioned. I had some concerns that one of the suitcases would make it through the scanner but they all did. A standard carry on size should not be an issue making it through the process.

No. All bags need to go through security. Just like an airline, if the suitcase is larger than typical carry-on size it won't fit through the scanner must be checked.

Wrong. I carry my checked in luggage with me and it fits through the scanner. One time I didn’t have cash for a porter and they scribbled my room number wrong and I didn’t get my bag until 10 pm the first night I will never ever give them my bag.

Wrong. I carry my checked in luggage with me and it fits through the scanner. One time I didn’t have cash for a porter and they scribbled my room number wrong and I didn’t get my bag until 10 pm the first night I will never ever give them my bag.
If the luggage doesn’t fit through the scanner, it must be checked. If it’s smaller and fits through the scanner, you are welcome to carry-on as much as you can manage. Very simple - it’s based on size not type of bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter