Are water shoes necessary at the Water Parks?

MrsNesbet

Earning My Ears
We've been to Disney several times now and this Sept is our first time at both water parks! I have read conflicting statements as to needed water shoes or just wearing flip flops are fine.

We typically don't wear water shoes so we don't own any, but want to buy them before out trip if we need them.

We will be there in early September when it's very hot!

It's too early here and I thought the thread title said "Are water SHOWS necessary...". I thought "no, I don't want another thing to add to my itinerary!"

If you have sensitive feet water shoes are nice to have, but you can definitely do without them. The ground at Typhoon Lagoon is less hot due to all the tropical foliage.

We were just there last month and the pavement got very hot by mid day. Even the sand was hot. I would bring cheap flip flops to walk in and then you can take them off and hold them on the rides. If you find you don't need them, you haven't bought water shoes just for this trip. By the end of the day, I really wished for something on my feet.

We were at Blizzard Beach this week, and I agree that it's nice to have something on your feet. The sand and walkways were very hot by noon! I think the only ride that didn't allow shoes was Summit Plummet. They have you take them off and hold them. We wore water sandals (Tevas) and they worked great.

No, in fact they get in the way as you cannot wear them on many of the slides.

exactly what i was gonna say. went to both water parks last week and only wore our flip flops at the first one. it was ridiculously annoying to have to take them off and try hold while going down raft rides and all! the ground wasn't even THAT hot if you keep moving.

It's really a personal preference thing. When we were there a couple of weeks ago I started the day without shoes, but then went back to our chairs and got my flip flops. I had wished that I had worn my Tevas. I have very sensitive feet along with plantar fasciitis. Walking on the flat sidewalks was killing my foot. If you're unsure just take a cheap pair of flip flops with you that will be easy to hold it the rides. I had no problem holding on in each hand through the straps while also holding the handle on the inner tube. For me the answer is a HUGE yes for wearing shoes!

I wish I would've brought some. We were fine for a couple hours, but the concrete can get really rough on the feet.

We took water shoes on our first trip to the BB. After a few rides, we were all annoyed with them and went barefoot the rest of the day. We didn't even bother with them on the next trip.

I like my water shoes. The rest of the family wears flip flops. We're all happy with our choices.

Does anyone know if water shoes are allowed in the kids areas at Blizzard Beach, and on the raft/tube slides? I was planning to get some for my girls to protect their feet from the hot pavement, but if we'll have to keep taking them on and off anyway I'll just have them wear their Crocs to walk around. (They're both too small for the big body slides so we won't have to worry about those.)

Walking on HOT concrete with wet feet will chew up the bottom of your feet. You will be much more comfortable with something on your feet, even if you can't wear them on slides.

I have never had to take of my water shoes for a raft ride. I have to on tube slides. I hold them in my hands while I slide down.

I haven't been to the WDW water parks, but I have been to a water park where I live, many times. The first time I went, I lasted all of about 20 minutes trying to walk around barefoot. I have tender little feet. Lol. I never walk around without shoes and it was impossible for me to walk on hot, rough concrete. I ended up having to buy a pricey pair at the park.

I've got sensitive feet, and always wear my Teva sandals in the water parks. The only slides I need to remove them are the ones that don't use a tube or mat. Flip flops may be different though, the ones I wear are secured and don't come off easy like a shoe without straps would.​

We were at both parks last year, first week in September. My mom had also read we needed them as people claimed to be burning their feet..
Well, I felt they were not needed as "water" shoes. Flipflops to wear in the park, to slip on when getting foods, bathroom etc.. I find necessary.

But in the active part, swimming, going from slide to pool, to slide etc.. no.... yes the ground was hot, but in most places where there is water nearby, the concrete is wet, and you wont burn.. I did see some open areas and they had like little sprinkler things going off to cool the concrete down.. Also if you are barefoot and need to walk from A to B and B is waaay off, then we would just hop in the lazy river and "ride" over to the other side. Both parks have the rivers going around the park. Lines for water slides are also issue, like I said ground is wet.

My only advice about shoes is DO NOT just dump your bags and toss your shoes about.... They will be "gone". I was with the kids for a short visit and we dumped our towels on the rock wall near the wave pool and kicked our shoes off. There was a large family.. ( they seemed local to me) and I think it did not appeal to them that we put our stuff near them.. Well when we got back all 3 pairs were tossed about... my son's we found in two spots about 15 feet away.. my daughter's also some where nearby tossed about.. Me as only adult and driver only found one shoe.. Great spent 50 on a pair of disney cros flip flops at the shop ( BTW blessing in disquise as they are now my fav and most comfortable shoes!).

Anyways loong story short... hide your shoes and only bring cheap flip flops in.....

either we pissed the family off ( by gut feeling by their dirty looks and "we dont give a darn and didnt see what happeded to your shoes" response) or kids like to mess with people's shoes. It was not the wave pool tide.... By customer relations some other guy had the same problem.

I wear water shoes. Because I never wear flip flops and if my feet are anywhere walking around without something completely surrounding them, well, they aren't happy. I don't wear sandals at all.

I have never had a problem at the water parks. If I have to take off the water shoes, I sit on them on the way down. But I certainly wear them as long as I can.

I usually wear something on my feet. Last time it was cheap velcro sandals from the Niagara Falls walk. I was able to wear them on the raft and inner tube rides, can't wear them on the body slides. Flip flops would not work on some of the tube rides because they could come off along the way, but something strapped on was allowed.

We also wore water shoes in both waterparks last summer and only had to remove them when we did a "real" single slide (don't remember which one as I didn't really like it). We could keep them on in rafts and all the other attractions, including the kids'. I personally couldn't go barefoot and I want my kids' feet protected as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter