Are value resorts as bad as they say???

We stayed at ASMo in '04...and are going back in October! It was just perfect for us. The theming was great, food court was wonderful, great pools, and the bus service was just fine!! We didn't really have a problem with noise...nothing beyond what we've experienced at other hotels.

I guess if you were used to more upscale hotels, you might be disappointed. We've got four kids, so that will probably never be an option for us, so we are more than satisfied with the values!!!

The room size is pretty small, so if you were planning to spend a lot of time back in your room, you may have a problem. We had 5 of us (one baby), so we had very little room, especially with baby gear taking up space. We won't all fit in one room this time, so we are getting two. I'm really looking forward to the luxury of a little more space....two bathrooms....and two t.v.s!!!!!

I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed!!!!!!!!!! Have a great trip.

Okay, I just thought of something my dd didn't like about POP!!! She hates the 'uniforms' the CMs wear. She says they're really boring and could be so much better. She could be right. But, so far that's the only thing we can come up with.
As far as the bus stop goes....yes, it's too bad it isn't a covered area like a lot of other resorts. There is a row of seats along the outside of the queue area that is covered, but it certainly doesn't fit many people! And it can get hot in the sun!!! We try to get to the bus stop as early as possible to avoid the major crowds. Same thing with the food court and breakfast.

I think it really depends on what you are used to in a hotel. I've seen the values, but never stayed there. I thought I'd try the Pop and booked it for my upcoming stay. I kept the reservation for exactly 4 days and then ended up switching to POFQ. I just couldn't go through with it. I wanted to save the money, but knew that the values wouldn't be right for me. I hope you have a great trip whatever you decide!

Just look forward to enjoying your stay at the All Stars and don't think twice about any negative stuff. Sure, they're not luxury resorts, but you will thoroughly enjoy yourself, experience excellent service, and be immersed in the "magic" 24/7. :wizard:

I just got back from a week-long stay at ASMusic, and it was great. The room was always clean & we got a full set of fresh towels daily. The only "bad" thing was that our alarm clock didn't work. (We tried setting a cell phone alarm but we screwed up & it didn't go off either. It was ok though, we didn't have any morning ADR's or anything to get to.) The next morning we left a little note & a tip for Mousekeeping, asking if we could please get a new clock, and when we got back to the room that evening they'd taken care of it for us.

We were in the Broadway section, so it was a little bit of a walk to the main building, but not unmanageable. I actually like being in the back better because it's quieter and you don't hear the noise from the main pool. Also, the smaller "quiet" pool was very close to our building so we went for a quick swim a couple nights after we got back from the parks.

The food courts can get crowded at breakfast, but I've found that if you go a bit earlier (an hour or so before park opening times) it's less crowded. The food is good, not 5-star dining by any means, but good. There's a lot of variety too, so I'm sure even picky eaters will find something to please them.

I have no complaints about the bus service either. I've visited some of the deluxe resorts for dining and always seemed to wait longer for buses at the deluxes than at the AS.

hi,
we stayed at all star movies in 2004, it was two people to a room, the rooms are a little small but otherwise they're great. I loved it there. as my mother says, are you going for the experience or for the rooms? :cheer2:

I haven't stayed there yet, we're going in 2 days to the ASMo. But I had the same concern about transportation. So we decided to rent a car. For $160, we have a midsize car for 9 days. That gives us the freedom to use either the buses or the car. And I figure we're still saving over $300 compared to staying at a moderate. I can't wait!

We stayed at Sports, then moved to AKL half way through our last trip. That was our first time on property. We love Sports. DS7 is very disappointed w/ me b/c we are not staying at Sports this time. (We are staying at AKL). He let me know that he only likes Sports and he does not like AKL. Oh, well...

Before we went last time, I also had read a lot of negative reviews of the All Stars. I wasn't sure if we would be disappointed or not. However, we went with an open mind and decided that we would just make the best of it. After all, we were at WDW.

We were blown away. DH told me "those people lied". He was referring to all the bad reviews. We absolutely loved it. There was a little area outside our door w/ lots of different plants and a little brown rabbit. DS would wake up in the a.m. and watch the rabbit until it hopped away.

Mousekeeping was actually better at Sports than at AKL. We got our stuffed animals arranged for us. Usually they were sitting in the window waiting for us to come "home". We got little notes from Mousekeeping also.

We love All Stars.

We have stayed at moderates and value (Pop). We love POP -- stayed there last year and going back in July of this year. I have no complaints.

I have to respond to your dillema. My wife and I have stayed at the ASM, CBR and WL Honeymoon suite and while the WL was magnificent, the ASM are truly wonderful. Imean like you said, how much time will you really be spending in the room. I know you said that you were staying at POP but you may want to consider changing ressie to ASM for your kids sake. The gigantic disney icons make even my wife and I grin from ear to ear. The food court is wonderful; lots to choose from and rather large in size. The bus service at ASM is actually very rapid. Everyone says its 20 min to MK, but it does not seem that long. We are taking my 3 year old son in Sept. and we had considered the Poly or ASM and the decision went to ASM. Trust me your kids will love it and for the money its GREAT! Don't listen to people who nitpick about small things. No it's not a 4 star hotel...but it is truly a magical Disney experience in itself!!

We have stayed twice at POR (only because we had 5 people) and once at ASMo last summer for just myself and my 2 kids. Yes POR is "nicer" and more resort like but the price at All Stars has me returing, only this time we are trying ASMu. I'm glad to have read some good reviews about it on here, I haven't seen much at all and thought we might have the resort to ourselves. ASMo was quiet, clean, and fun. The stuffed animals were arranged sometimes. The bus wait times were actually less than for POR, I dunno why. Even the bus back to the resort, PORs lines seemed longer. Don't get me wrong, I love POR and ASMo and well just about anything Disney. Don't worry, be happy.. and have a blast, I'm sure we will too!

see far more positive than negative.

the values really have the best bus system of any of the WDW resorts.

all the transportation - buses, monrails, ferry, boats - can have problems with the park closing.

but they know the values will have lots of people - so the buses will kept coming back.

sometimes at one of the deluxes - because the majority of the people were gone - we waited and waited and waited - finally about an hour later a bus finally came to get us... this has NEVER happened to us at a value resort. No matter how late it was.

:thumbsup2 Don't let the people who knock the value resorts get you down. I have been in the same situation as yourself. I grew up going to Disney. We never would have stayed on site, as my family could never afford it.

Since I started having kids, we have been every year since my daughter was born(1993) and until they built the values, we had never even stayed onsite. Now, we have stayed in several deluxe and a moderate but we have stayed in values about 4 times, in Music 3 and Pop once. It was great! What you have to remember is that Disney's standards even in the value range is above what you find outside the parks. The staff is friendly, the rooms I have always found to be clean, and the theming is great.

We could choose to go to a moderate this year or a deluxe, but I am thinking of AS Movies because I think my 3 yr old would love it. I think alot of the complaints may come from people who are, as you put it, "spoiled" by what they are used to at deluxes. :blush: Deluxes are nice, but the values are just as great a place to stay for 1/2 the price!

I have stayed at POP, Sports, and Movies. If you have stayed at moderates or deluxes, yes, you will find a difference. However, if you don't have them to compare to, then you will absolutely love the all-star resorts or Pop Century. Yes, I think the walls are thinner and maybe a little louder than the mods and deluxes, but I would not hesitate to stay at these resorts again. My children who are now 9 and 12 ask if we can stay at POP and we are DVC members. They love the theming, pools and food courts. Have a great time!

We stayed at ASM last year which was our first experience with a value resort. I must say we would definitely consider staying there again. We actually liked the food court set up and the beverage station. The room and beds are small but worked for us. Having the bathroom (except toilet/shower) open to the room was the only real downside. We didn't use the bus system, so we really couldn't comment on that.

From my experience staying at ASMO and ASMU. They are "fine". You are not in your room much anyway. They are crowded. Atleast the time of year I went they were. They are small. Our bus service was extremely slow the first time we went. The next time we rented a car so to not have to utilize the bus service. But the positives are they are on property and they are fun. The themes are great with the giant icons. It is nice to have the food courts too. Everyone can have a choice to eat. Have a wonderful trip.

I love the value resorts! I've stayed at the All Star Music and Pop Century. We're staying at Pop Century again this year with some friends because we had so much fun last year! We enjoyed the atmosphere, thought the food court was great, and the bus service was wonderful. If I were a kid (Heck, I'm an adult and I still feel this way!) I would much rather stay at one of the values because they just scream Disney! You are absolutely immersed in Disney fun the whole time! All the huge icons, themed pools... You won't be dissapointed!

Just a little side note about bus service... We visited the Grand Floridian one day and waited over an hour for a bus to Downtown Disney. Actually we never even got a bus to Downtown Disney, we finally just gave up and got on the next bus that pulled up. I thought that was kinda funny since the GF is supposed to be a deluxe and all...

we have stayed at many disney properties in all different price ranges. last december we stayed at pop century. it was so disappointing. i felt like i was at a super 8 motel. the rooms were very small. the grounds were not kept very clean. the food court was impossinle to get a table at. we are going in june and are going bact to POR. this is our favorite moderate.

I stayed at ASMo for my first time in a value earlier this week. It was not a "bad" stay but it wasn't my best. My observations: the room was small, but cute. Our luggage took over ten hours to be delivered, and then only after I called about it. The pool was freezing. I don't mean it was chilly, I mean it was freezing. Neither adult nor child cared to get in it on a mid-80's day. The theming was cute. We were in almost the furthest room from the bus stop and food court, but it was a short pleasant walk. Housekeeping was good. The food at the food court was VERY good. We could always find a table. The drinks at the bar were very good and made us care less that the room was small :teeth:. The bus service was good EXCEPT that it was not so great having all the allstars share coming back from AK. We left at 330p and had to wait for the third bus. We got back to ASMo at 415p. I would stay there again if the budget was tight, but it would have to be pretty tight for me to consider it.

cdrn1 said:
I stayed at ASMo for my first time in a value earlier this week. It was not a "bad" stay but it wasn't my best. My observations: the room was small, but cute. Our luggage took over ten hours to be delivered, and then only after I called about it. The pool was freezing. I don't mean it was chilly, I mean it was freezing. Neither adult nor child cared to get in it on a mid-80's day. The theming was cute. We were in almost the furthest room from the bus stop and food court, but it was a short pleasant walk. Housekeeping was good. The food at the food court was VERY good. We could always find a table. The drinks at the bar were very good and made us care less that the room was small :teeth:. The bus service was good EXCEPT that it was not so great having all the allstars share coming back from AK. We left at 330p and had to wait for the third bus. We got back to ASMo at 415p. I would stay there again if the budget was tight, but it would have to be pretty tight for me to consider it.

Sorry the water was so cold during your stay.
The pool is usually not that cold.
I swam in it in January and it was a comfortable 86 degrees,
The All Star Movie pool was closed down sometime around April 21 or 22.
There was some kind of pretty major problem with it.
The pool reopened on April 27th so my guess is it was not open long enough for the water to heat up when you tried to go swimming.
Sorry the water was cold.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
Here is thread about the All Star Movie pool being closed.:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1095447

Hope you had fun at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter