• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are umbrellas allowed in WDW?

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
We have a trip coming up beginning next week and right now the forecast has some rain included. I know of course it will change 1000 times before we arrive, but DW and I were discussing if umbrellas were allowed in WDW. I know that some places, especial sporting events, prohibit them for safety and blocking the view of others, but we could not remember if we had ever seen someone use them. (I can't imagine Disney would miss a sell of one with the famous three circles on it!). Mickey ponchos we already have and they will be packed, but to settle the questions I said I would post it on the DIS and we would know very soon.

K, thanks! Actually DW is glad as she hates to wear those poncho's over her head. The darn things do get a little hot.

Robo you may think umbrellas are not a good idea but for me they are only answer as I can not wear a poncho without over heating and chancing my glasses from getting so wet that I can not safely see out of them. so yes I use an umbrella

Just don't open them when you're in the middle of a moving crowd, say as Fantasmic is letting out. I had to replace a lens in my glasses after getting someone's umbrella nearly jammed in my eye. But, I do carry an umbrella myself, mostly to use for the sun while waiting for parades.

We always go in June, ponchos are absolutely stifling so we use umbrellas when needed. You just have to be aware of those around you.

Wind breakers>>ponchos.

You can use umbrellas in the parks (most don't) but please do not use them when immediately around people.

Just know that you may be asked not to use them in certain circumstances. When we were there a few weeks ago and getting ready to watch Fantasmic, they made an announcement about not using umbrellas. It was drizzling and most of us were wearing ponchos. I did notice a couple several rows in front of us who were only using umbrellas, and they had to put them down and get wet. So I think your idea to also take ponchos is a good one!

I pack a poncho for those days when it's going to rain a lot, and a compact umbrella for drizzly days. I tend to use the umbrella more at Epcot than the other parks. I have a nylon poncho, so it's not quite as stifling as a plastic one.

Umbrellas are allowed at Disney World and I go quite often. I use a poncho because (1) it doesn't bother me and (2) I find it easier to tour since I don't have one hand occupied with an umbrella handle (3) I'm not looking around to see if the umbrella could be hitting someone else as I'm five foot nothing and I could be turning around with an umbrella and hitting a taller person in the face who was walking behind me. As a five foot nothing person, I have been dripped on by lots of umbrellas but my poncho hood was up so all was good.

The umbrellas vs poncho debate will last just as long as some of the other debates on this board. To each their own but yes, umbrellas are allowed at Disney World. Just not at NASCAR events.

When you are entering a park close your umbrella when approaching the gate. That is where you can do some real damage, especially to the CMs working the gates.

We have a trip coming up beginning next week and right now the forecast has some rain included. I know of course it will change 1000 times before we arrive, but DW and I were discussing if umbrellas were allowed in WDW. I know that some places, especial sporting events, prohibit them for safety and blocking the view of others, but we could not remember if we had ever seen someone use them. (I can't imagine Disney would miss a sell of one with the famous three circles on it!). Mickey ponchos we already have and they will be packed, but to settle the questions I said I would post it on the DIS and we would know very soon.

Yes!! We just left and used ours a few times. Like them much better than ponchos, but then we do not stay in the parks in pouring rain. And, yes, we do use them around people - how else at Disney LOL. But, we are very conscientious in being considerate of others - actually much better than some poncho wearers treat others - rubbing up against people in stores, sitting by you on buses, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter