Are Turkeys on sale in your area?

luv2mickey

Mouseketeer
I don't understand why turkeys aren't on sale in our grocery store circulars yet, are they in your area?

Not here. We usually see sales like "Spend $35 on groceries and get turkey for 49 cent per pound". Not this year.. I asked in the meat section at our local grocery store if turkeys would go on sale before Thanksgiving and was told "they are on sale for 99 cents per pound" (store brand not name brand).
Thought I'd give it anpther week before I buy mine and see what happens.

One chain has a small deal going on this week: Buy $X in groceries and get $X off turkey. That is it so far.

Target had Butterballs on sale for $0.99 a pound yesterday and I believe the reg price was $1.69 a pound. I used my Rx 5% off coupon and my Red card and saved another almost 10% so I was pleased.

Heather

We did Kroger this weekend. .79 a pound with $30 in groceries. It's fed us all day and made 10 portions for the freezer for easy made soups and recipes this winter.

Thanksgiving seems later than normal this year. Maybe we will start seeing deals in the next week. I haven't seen anything good here yet either.

Thanksgiving seems later than normal this year. Maybe we will start seeing deals in the next week. I haven't seen anything good here yet either.

Yup. Too early. Usually the sales on turkey go out a week before Thanksgiving, so don't expect to see the flyers until November 20th.

Safeway has their store brand turkey for .69/lb with an additional $50 purchase, and Butterball turkey for $1.28/lb with an additonal $50 purchase.

It's not in my budget to spend $50 in one transaction (which excludes the turkey itself) at Safeway so we won't be having a turkey this year unless family members invite us over (we always bring one or two side dishes to contribute). We looooove both white and dark turkey meat and have always made a huge one for leftovers to freeze but this year we'll just have to do a whole chicken or possibly a small bone-in ham. Oh, well, sometimes you just have to make due! :upsidedow

Actually, I do have a turkey in the chest freezer from 3 or 4 years ago...in it's original wrapping...I wonder if it's okay to cook. I assumed it would be freezer burned but just hadn't tossed it yet. Hmm.

I don't understand why turkeys aren't on sale in our grocery store circulars yet, are they in your area?

Yep! I was looking all over for a good turkey deal. We are having an early Thanksgiving because we will be on the Dream on the actual Thanksgiving day!! The only deal I had seen was using points at Giant for a turkey. I didn't want to do that because I like to use them for gas points and they also weren't giving the turkeys until Nov. 17th and that is the day we are having our early turkey!

So I was at Target on Friday and got one for .79/lb and an additional 5% off with my cartwheel! I was happy with that!

I'm seeing 79 cents a pound for Jennie O at local stores (Jewel and Dominicks). I plan to hit Target for the 99 cent Butterball and use the coupon (on coupons.com) for $3 off Butterball if you purchase 4 other listed products.

Krogers has them for .69 w/ $10 purchase.

It must be regional because ours don't have that deal. I haven't seen advertised turkey deals around here for a couple of years. It just kind of hit and miss at finding an unadvertised special.

Actually, I do have a turkey in the chest freezer from 3 or 4 years ago...in it's original wrapping...I wonder if it's okay to cook. I assumed it would be freezer burned but just hadn't tossed it yet. Hmm.

I used one a few years ago that was in the freezer 2 1/2 years and it was fine. We always smoke ours in the Egg, marinate, and season it well.

I don't think it's a matter of 'safe' - but mostly taste quality. You'll never know until you thaw it and see if there is much freezer burn.

(I know this is contrary to what you'll hear from the companies, etc. but we have 'had' to do things in the past that maybe some wouldn't do, but meat in the freezer DOES keep beyond the 'normal' times usually listed.) Just quality issues.

Our Wegmans had them for 47 cents a pound on Sunday. There is always a big competition between Tops and Wegmans here. We live on the border and our stores are filled with shoppers from Canada. Makes stores crowded but good for pricing and our economy. Welcome neighbors!
Ps. Saw two women putting 5 - 25# turkey's in their cart yesterday. :rotfl2
They were from Canada but they already celebrated their Thanksgiving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter