• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are those new light weight tennis shoes good for Disney walking?

bcinohio

DIS Veteran
Just returned from WDW and I wore my old tennis shoes (had planned to buy new ones but never got around to it) and I got huge blisters on both of my little toes. We are going to return to WDW in April with my sons marching band and I want to buy new shoes now to break them in.

I have seen those new light weight ones. Are they good for all the walking you will do at Disney? If you have some and like them what kind do you have.

Thanks for any help.

I would be curious on responses. I need new sneakers, don't do well with sandals/flip flop type shoes in parks. I have rheumatoid arthritis and sneakers help with walking. I'm due for a new pair and looking for something that doesn't weigh a lot, but would have a good inside cushion. Suggestions?? TIA.

I bought the skechers go walks from suggestions on here, they are good around town but I don't think they give me enough support for a whole day in Disney. Back to my New Balances. I'll bring the Go Walks to switch it up a bit on half days at the park

I have a pair of Sketchers Go-walks and they are amazing. So lightweight and slip on too

Ditto! :thumbsup2
I bought my first pair of Go Walks two days before our Disney trip. They were perfect for walking all day and required no breaking in. Mine are tie (not slip ons).

I wore 2 different nearly new pairs of Sketchers Go Walks on our WDW trip last month and they were incredible! So lightweight, and you don't need socks, so my feet were cooler. I saw lots of women in them there. Love them!

Another vote for the Go Walks! I haven't worn them on a trip to Disney yet but I did wear them walking up and down the Strip in Las Vegas for a week with no problems.

I wear barefoot sneakers from Merrell, not the totally barefoot ones, but the next step up in padding. I have really bad knees and ankles and less is more for me. My DS is the same. They are the first pair of sneakers he could run in without pain. We both wear them at WDW daily with no issues.

I do have a pair of Sketchers Go Walks that I don't think I would get away with wearing at Disney because of the lack of support. I stick with my Brooks if we are going to be in the parks for more than 2 or 3 hours.

I do have a weird suggestions you can take or leave. I noticed my mom wearing her socks inside out often. I thought she had gone crazy. She told me the outsides were softer and didn't rub her feet. I tried it and it worked! I wear athletic socks inside out now-unless I happen to be wearing moisture wicking ones that aren't terry-cloth like on the inside. My other trick is to bring a second pair of socks to change into later in the day. A fresh pair of socks makes my feet feel so much better!

MIL gave me a pair of Nike Free shoes and they are the absolute most comfortable shoes I have ever owned! Before them, I did not even like Nike because I don't feel like they have enough arch support. These are great though and needed no breaking in. So lightweight and cushioned.

Oddly, I get tons of compliments on these shoes and my feet never get noticed usually. I wear them to school on casual days and run in them at the gym. Never any blisters but I do have to wear good socks.

I do have a pair of Sketchers Go Walks that I don't think I would get away with wearing at Disney because of the lack of support. I stick with my Brooks if we are going to be in the parks for more than 2 or 3 hours.

I do have a weird suggestions you can take or leave. I noticed my mom wearing her socks inside out often. I thought she had gone crazy. She told me the outsides were softer and didn't rub her feet. I tried it and it worked! I wear athletic socks inside out now-unless I happen to be wearing moisture wicking ones that aren't terry-cloth like on the inside. My other trick is to bring a second pair of socks to change into later in the day. A fresh pair of socks makes my feet feel so much better!

Changing socks is a great idea. I wear mostly New Balance socks. I am diabetic and need a flat seam or no seam in my socks, and theirs work best for me. There are special socks sold in drugstores and elsewhere that I used to get for my mom that also have a wide flat top good for swollen ankles in addition to flat seams and cushioned foot.

I wear New Balance's minimalist/barefoot line as both my running and everyday shoes and absolutely love them. I don't buy the very least structured model but the next one up, which has a bit of a heel cup and some arch support, and they're like nothing else I've ever worn. Comfortable, lightweight, and (in the summer style) so breathable that they're almost as good as sandals in hot weather.

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED all my lightweight sneakers! I had the Nike Free's (my fave) and several pairs of Skechers for work. I loved them all until the beginning of this year and started getting this pain in my foot...bad pain, like severe limping. I spent 6+ weeks in an aircast, had an MRI and an xray all to find out that the shoes were causing such angst with the muscles in my toes that the muscles were banding together and creating something called a neuroma (think tumor, but not a tumor). The complete lack of support and overflexibility caused the problem to surface.

So, now I'm stuck wearing my super supportive Brooks sneakers ALL the time (no more barefeet around the house :headache:) just to avoid surgery that may or not fix the problem. I can't wear shoes that allow my toes to flex/bend downward

I miss my Nike Free's, but if I knew then what I know now...I would've skipped them and my Skechers.

....putting away Go Walks. That's awful! hope you feel better

Thanks for the tip on NB socks

I wear barefoot sneakers from Merrell, not the totally barefoot ones, but the next step up in padding. I have really bad knees and ankles and less is more for me. My DS is the same. They are the first pair of sneakers he could run in without pain. We both wear them at WDW daily with no issues.

What exactly is the "next step up" in Merrell barefoot sneakers?? Do you have the style name?

I wear New Balance's minimalist/barefoot line as both my running and everyday shoes and absolutely love them. I don't buy the very least structured model but the next one up, which has a bit of a heel cup and some arch support, and they're like nothing else I've ever worn. Comfortable, lightweight, and (in the summer style) so breathable that they're almost as good as sandals in hot weather.

Do you have the style name?

I loved Merrills and then got a pair of ryka dash sneakers on zappos after reading great reviews. I love the ryka shoes even more than my Merrills now.

I do still switch them out at Disney between the two brands. My husband refuses to let me attempt sandals there or even on walks around town. My shoes must be firmly attached to my foot as I am an unhappy camper if someone steps on the back of my sandal or that sort of thing.

No real foot issues, just want something that's comfortable to walk in all day.

I do bring different kinds of socks too. I have puma ones they sell at costco and maybe I love those one day and thinner Adidas ones the next or even later the same day. A mid day change of shoes and socks can be quite lovely.

Oh, and the rykas were only about $50 which is much better than most sneakers.

I have a pair of Sketchers Go-walks and they are amazing. So lightweight and slip on too

Been looking at those, probably get myself a pair, comfy walking shoes are an essential for me, suffered awful blisters my first trip in 2004, never want to repeat that again.

As someone who has massive foot problems (nerve damage, destroyed toenail, no feeling in big toe, hypersensitive on instep, and have broken dozens of bones and all toes in both feet - DH says I secretly hate my feet ;)) I will second this. Wearing socks inside out ABSOLUTELY works! I do it all the time. That seam across the toes always gave me blisters and ruined my toenails. Now, with that seam on the outside, I don't have those problems anymore. Thin socks or thick socks, doesn't matter, always inside out.

As for the Go Walks - I have 5 pairs and live in them! I wear them with and without socks. At Disney I go with quality flip flops (like Clark's or Sanuk's) or Go Walks. I got a new pair of Nike Air sneakers for my walking routine and they are super lightweight, but even with the inside out socks I got a blister on my baby toe. Not fun. I've never gotten a blister from my Go Walks.

Try on different styles and walk around the store and make sure they're comfy on your feet. I've learned that shoes that work on one person will not necessarily work on me and my poor feet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter