Are Thomson any good?

crim1978

Mouseketeer
Hi All

We are looking at flight prices as we can officially book our tickets Saturday.

We were planning to travel with Virgin, as we've flown with them before and liked the service and extras (tv, drinks etc).

However, Thomson are coming out considerably cheaper but look a bit more basic.

Has anyone flown with Thomson and are they any good in comparison to someone like Virgin??

Thanks as ever for your advice.

Crim

I've flown long haul with Thomson a few times and they are nowhere near as goos as Virgin, if you have the choice use virgin, thomson don't have seat back tvs the food isn't as good and the prices they charge onboard for drinks etc are astronomical, but they do have the cheapest cigarettes if that makes a difference ;) I wouldn't fly long haul with them again out of choice but if the difference is, say a good few hundred quid, then I would probably suffer it to have more to spend in the parks when we got there!

Thanks Carol

Difference is looking at being between 50 - 100 quid per person.

SO I'm thinking I should sway towards Virgin.

Thanks

Yes, probably worth it then in your case as the extra savings wouldn't go that far compared with free meals and drinks and a much comfier flight

I dont know what Thomson offers but we have always flown with Virgin.with Thomson do they offer things like early check in which is a great bonus on the return flight.also with Virgin the baggage allowance is higher than most other airlines which means you dont have to worry about filling your cases for return flight with all your bargins[just worry about your credit card bill when you return home] my vote is with Virgin.

We flew with Thomson twice, the seat pitch is less than with the scheduled airlines and the service not as good. For us, flying into MCO is important, as is the DTD check-in on the last day.

Candy is right about the baggage allowance as well - we definitely need the extra - both going out and coming back!!!

For the little money you would appear to save, I would go scheduled.

We flew with Thomson a couple of years ago as there was a saving of £100 each :sunny: .
Weighing everything up, after the event, I wouldn't do it again.
By the time you've bought drinks and snacks onboard, bought yourself things to entertain you on the flight, maybe paid extra for luggage allowance and had a longer drive from the airport...... :rolleyes:
I'd say stay with Virgin :love:

I've never found Virgin to be that much better or worse than anyone else. If all else was equal, I would definitely choose Virgin over Thomson, but if there are other factors to consider I wouldn't have strong preferences either way. On the other hand, if all else was equal, I'd choose BA over Virgin :)

For us, there are other benefits apart from cost - departure airport, for example - to weigh up, and this time we've chosen to go with Thomson again, but had upgraded to roomier seats which pretty much negated any cost saving we might have made! However, as they've just changed our seats, I may well have different views when we get home after the next trip! ;)

£50 to £100 per person is an awful lot to spend on a meal, snacks and drinks on board, isn't it?!

Hilary said:
£50 to £100 per person is an awful lot to spend on a meal, snacks and drinks on board, isn't it?!
That's what I originally thought, until we tried it :goodvibes .
It wasn't for us but that's not to say it won't suit others :cloud9:

wait until you see how much it costs you when your luggage is overweight, for the extra kilos!
Yes, Thomson baggage allowance doesn't come anywhere close to Virgin's (Thomson's 20kgs against Virgin's 2 x 32 kgs per person?) but I'm hoping we'll stick to our usual amount of luggage which is always well below the alllowance (famous last words :rolleyes: ).

alisonbestford said:
That's what I originally thought, until we tried it :goodvibes .
It wasn't for us but that's not to say it won't suit others :cloud9:
LOL! I'll be taking some sandwiches then! :earboy2: I'm still hoping we'll have our Premium seats on the return leg, and that includes food and drink.

We've flown Virgin twice - and booked them for this year - the twilight check-in, free drinks, bigger seats, and the fact they drop you in Orlando International and not out in the sticks at Sanford is worth the extra money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter