are these flight times cutting it too close?

tony_touch

Earning My Ears
This is for the 3 night Wonder.

I'm considering booking a flight that arrives at Orlando Airport at 1 pm on Thurs, and leaves Orlando at 11:10 am on Sunday. Is this enough time to get to and from the ship? If not, how much time would you allow for?

Also, I'm traveling alone and plan on doing the $25 transfer from the airport to the ship and vice versa. Do I just sign up for this when my flight arrives? How often does it leave? Is it thru DCL or a private company? thanks!!!!

Personally, those flights cut it WAY too close for me. First off, the arrival time is very close, and you probably won't make it to the ship until at least 2PM, and that's not including any flight delays. If you're flight is even delayed, you're and could miss the ship. I also believe that DCL requests that you book a flight that arrives prior to 1PM if not using their Air package. The return flight could be o.k. but would require you to disembark as soon as passengers are allowed, and again, if there is a delay clearing the ship from customs, you could miss your flight. DCL agains recommends not to book a return flight before 12 Noon. You can book the transfers directly through DCL(do this prior to leaving home) and there will be a DCL rep waiting for you (and others) in the main terminal. They will then excort you down to the waiting motorcoach, and once it's full, it leaves for the port.

The 1 pm arrival time is cutting it way too close. By the time you off the plane and get your bags it can be 1:30 and then it takes an hour to get to the port. If there are any delays of any kind either with the plane or an accident on the way to the port you really do run the risk of missing the ship. You could make the 11 am by being the first off the ship and leaving for the airport right away, but if for some reason the ship is delayed in returned to port you would miss you flight.
Personally I like arriving the day prior to the crusie, but if you can't do that, at least arrive early that morning and maybe see about booking your air and transfers with DCL.

jel0511 said:
Personally, those flights cut it WAY too close for me. First off, the arrival time is very close, and you probably won't make it to the ship until at least 2PM, and that's not including any flight delays. If you're flight is even delayed, you're and could miss the ship. I also believe that DCL requests that you book a flight that arrives prior to 1PM if not using their Air package. The return flight could be o.k. but would require you to disembark as soon as passengers are allowed, and again, if there is a delay clearing the ship from customs, you could miss your flight. DCL agains recommends not to book a return flight before 12 Noon. You can book the transfers directly through DCL(do this prior to leaving home) and there will be a DCL rep waiting for you (and others) in the main terminal. They will then excort you down to the waiting motorcoach, and once it's full, it leaves for the port.

Actually, Disney recommends not booking a return flight before 12:30. And I agree, the day before is the only way to go for departure day.

I wouldn't feel comfortable arriving the day of the cruise. Too many things can go wrong. I recently dropped my inlaws off at the airport and their flight was delayed for two hours because of weather issues at the destination point. Another family we know had there flight delayed because of a bird hitting the cockpit window while landing. It was a small charter flight and they had to have a new window flowen in before they could replace it. We had an 11:40 flight out after our cruise and made it in plenty of time, but there was no delays in getting off the ship.

tvguy said:
Actually, Disney recommends not booking a return flight before 12:30. And I agree, the day before is the only way to go for departure day.

Our air was booked thru Disney, and they gave us an 11:50 return flight. This made me very anxious, as everything I'd read on this board had said not to book a flight earlier than 12:30 - when our AAA TA asked DCL about that, she was told 11:30 is really their recommended cut-off time. We made it to the airport (MCO) by 8:40, using DCL transfer, so had plenty of time to spare, but I have to tell you I fretted about it the entire night before! It put a damper on the end of the trip. Personally if I had it to over, I would have insisted on a later flight - it just wasn't worth the worry about traffic tie-ups, etc, which would delay us.(This was the end of spring break, and I think missing a flight and trying to get another would have been a nightmare.) I also agree 1:00 is way too risky for your arrrival flight.

thanks for the advice all...I just changed my flight times, I'm arriving in Orlando at 10:45 am and leaving Orlando at 2:40 pm. Even better..the price of my flight went down by $80!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter